Marc Anthony Dream Wave Beach Spray

2.7

on 6/14/2015 10:41:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

I just started using this and am surprised by the low score on here. I went to look through the reviews and I think a lot of people have unrealistic expectations of what a simple spray alone can do.

This spray, IMHO, works wonders for hair that is layered and naturally somewhat wavy. If you have stick straight hair, this spray isn't going to do it for you - but then again, no spray will likely do it alone! You're going to need some hot tools to get some curl/wave. But if you've got sort of a naturally weak wave, like I do, this stuff really adds a ton of volume, texture and wave/curl to hair.

The spray nozzle is excellent and gives a full pump with a wide radius so I only needed to spritz my near waist length hair about 10 times to feel like my hair was sufficiently coated. The efficient packaging helps minimize waste. I got the bottle on sale at Ulta for $6 and feel that was a very fair price for the Marc Anthony quality (I swear by his sulfate free shea & biotin infused conditioner). The scent is very pleasant - summery and tropical without being especially chemical or sweet smelling. Scent is not too strong and fades as the hair dries.

But back to the effect. I like to let my hair dry a bit in a t-shirt first (about 20 min), then comb through and spray this all over. I then scrunch it all over with the t-shirt. To create mega volume and texture - more of a messy look with more pronounced waves and even some spiral-esque curls on the layered/shorter pieces - I keep scrunching with my hands periodically as my hair dries. For more subtle texture and wave, I simply scrunch less. The effect lasts a good while and if I feel it needs a boost, I just spritz my hair with some water and a few more sprays of this and rescrunch a little and it boosts right back up. If the texture is too wild after it is mostly dry, I wrap up in a bun for a bit and when I take it down the waves are still there, just tampered down. Also, wonderfully, this spray really minimizes frizz well.

Not only do I really like the beachy effect this gives my hair, but it doesn't feel gross, heavy or crunchy in my hair, which I really appreciate. I don't like wearing product in my hair and do so as little as possible and this stuff doesn't make me feel as though my hair is sticky, greasy or weighed down. It does have a little bit of a matte/gritty feel
to plump up the texture but I only use it during the summer when I'm swimming and washing my hair every day anyway. You can brush through it (it will destroy the wave and make it a poufy mess, but the point is it is not so gunky you can't brush through). Hair still feels pretty soft and has movement with this on.

Finally, another thing I really like about this is that it is NOT a salt spray. I've tried other sprays in the past for beachy waves, and most of them contain salt to get that effect, but the side effect is they really dry out your hair. I'm not willing to sacrifice my hair's health for a beachy wave spray and thankfully with this I don't have to! It doesn't damage my hair and actually has some conditioning ingredients in it. I sometimes use a little bit of spray on conditioner on my ends with this too but it is nice to know I don't have to.

Long review but it's important for those of us with in-between hair texture to know there actually is a "spray and go" for wet hair product that will work for us - and this is it! At least for me. :) Have uploaded a pic to show the texture this gives me.

I love the look of beach waves but this spray did not do the job. It really dried my hair out which I know salt sprays usually do but this one made my hair really dried out and frizzy. No good for my thin and fragile hair :(

on 5/1/2015 10:17:00 PM

I'm always looking for a new beach wave spray. I have some natural waves overall and love not having to dry my hair in the some time so a good spray followed by scrunching gives me the tousled look I love.

It works well overall but I don't love the smell, it's a chemical coconut smell that doesn't wow me. I have half a bottle left then I'll be searching for something new.

Ok but I'm sure there's better out there that smells great.

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

I received this in a subscription box and felt it was great for summertime, "get out of the shower and go" hair. The scent is so yummy, very beach-y and coconut-ish. I wouldn't use this product alone to create a "beach-wave" effect, but rather in conjunction with a few other products to help achieve the effect. I was surprised this is so inexpensive ($7ish?) for a decent sized bottle. I am definitely planning on repurchasing!

on 1/27/2015 1:07:00 AM

Was absolutely a waste of money I followed the instructions on the box and my hair was straight, crispy texture as like the feeling of hair spray would not recommend.

on 1/9/2015 9:21:00 AM

Hair: Brown, Other, Fine

I have 2B hair, I was hoping to achieve a more wavy tousled hair. This product is a complete waste of money. It makes my hair flat and limp.

on 10/20/2014 12:20:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

I used this on my daughter's thick, wavy hair. I've used better products and this seemed average, but the only reason I would purchase this again is because of the smell. It captures the perfect pina colada scent!! I like to just barely spritz this over my hair (not enough to use it as a product) just for the scent alone. My girls say, "Mom, Pina Colada me!" Then they go off to school with sweet smelling hair.

on 10/14/2014 9:03:00 PM

The only thing that works for my hair, just don't overdo it!! I have fine wavy hair that curls easily, this really enhances my hair and smells awesome! Do not comb wet wavy or curly hair, finger comb in shower and let hair clump up! Spray a Leave in at the bottom, beach waves all over and scrunch w a microfiber towel. Do not touch your hair until fully dry!! At that point you can scrunch out any stiffness and fluff at the scalp/tease. That's jut what works for me!

on 9/24/2014 3:49:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool

I was not impressed with this beach spray. I felt as though it didn't dry completely in my hair and made it feel muddy and coarse. Maybe I didn't dry it enough, but the rest of my hair felt completely dry. I have 1b, straight hair and I used beach sprays for volume and texture. I can't say that it gave me as much volume, or at least lasting volume, like others have. It also made my hair look really dull compared to other beach sprays I've used. I'll stick to my Sexy Hair Soy Renewal spray.

on 8/13/2014 1:00:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

Overall this is a great product. It holds waves in your hair the whole day. It smells amazing, like coconuts. The price is fair I got mine for $12. The packaging is effective and pretty. To use I take a shower before I go to bed and then do two French braids, in the morning just spray the product in.

Popular Styling Products