Philosophy Hope in a Jar-Night

3.3

on 5/11/2015 7:23:00 PM

Excellent product! Reduces pores and keeps my skin moisturised and hydrated! Best night cream ever!!! A little goes far! Smell isn't great but you soon get used to it. Highly recommend!!!

on 4/27/2015 1:21:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

I've been using Philosophy's Purity Cleanser, Hope in a Jar Moisturiser, Eye Hope & Hope in a Jar Night for about 3-4 months now.

The whole range worked beautifully for me especially with my Clarisonic Mia 2. My skin felt really moisturised in the mornings but in the past week, everything went topsy-turvy. when I used Hope in a Jar Night, my skin started tingling and I felt a light burning sensation over, redness, dry patches and even some stinging. I tried to eliminate which particular product is causing it over the week but sadly, it seemed that all of it seemed to cause the irritation. I immediately put away the whole range and did an overhaul of my skincare products.

I don't want to throw it away becuase it was a great product and I'm still going to try to figure out what went wrong but maybe after my skin recovers.

on 12/14/2014 7:44:00 AM

I really like this. Will continue to repurchase unless I find something I like better, or something equally good for less money. I feel like this helps clear my skin, it is the first glycolic acid product I have tried. I had used a sample about a year ago, but the $50/2oz price is way more than I have ever spent on skin care. However, I really loved the sample, so I bought during the 20% off sale in November. That made it $40, which is better but still steep I think. I find this less irritating than retinol products. I do feel a little in the morning when I wash my face, that doesn't bother me, it actually makes me feel like it's been working all night.

on 10/29/2014 11:44:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

I tried this product along with the other products on the try me kit (HIAJ day, Purity Made Simple and the Microdelivery Face Wash). In the first couple of weeks the results were really good: my skin was smooth and radiant, a couple of breakouts on my chin that I had been struggling with were healing nicely (along with localized application of benzoyl peroxide)...

However, three weeks later my skin was bumpy, dehydrated, dry, flaky, producing more oil (so would get really oily a few hours after using these products)... I also developed breakouts where I never breakout, and types of breakouts that I never had.

I do not recommend this product at all. Even because the good results that I had from it did not last. I stopped using this product four days ago and all the radiance is gone. Now my skin just looks like it needs help, soothing and nurturing.

The jar is cute but impractical, had to use a cotton bud every time to scoop it out. Also, makes the product less effective as we know. The smell is strange but did not bother me. The texture is lardy and difficult to spread- took quite a bit of rubbing and tugging... Which is not good for your skin!

Overall, I would stay away from this and the other three products I mentioned. These products provide immediate good results but they did not last. And they hurt my skin....

Philosophy calls this an "intense retexturizing moisturizer," which is really just not true. It has some glycolic acid in it, but it's not going to transform your face or do anything drastic regarding texture. It's not a bad face cream, per say, but I don't think it lives up to its claims. I will say that it never made my acne worse, which I get from time to time, and it moisturized well. It's a very thick, non-scented ivory-colored cream that takes some elbow grease to spread and a few minutes to sink in. It feels like one of those old school creams that is basically a barrier to trap in moisture and keep the elements out. I only used it at night due to the AHA content and woke up with the same skin in the morning that I had the night before. It was not plumped or toned or anything, just the same as the night before. It's a pleasant enough cream, but I can't recommend it for its retexturizing capabilities. For that, I would do a peel, toner or serum with AHA.

on 7/31/2014 10:51:00 AM

I got this as a 100 pt perk from Sephora. First off, the smell. OH MY GAWD... the smell is just AWFUL! I'm not sure if mine went bad or what, but it just smells bad. It smells like spit!! (Sorry, I know that's gross, but that's what it smells like to me >_<) The texture of this cream is thick and rich. It felt kinda oily on my skin as well. Not a fan of this product at all. I threw it out since i couldn't stand the smell of this. It lingers on my face after i apply it and the smell transfers to my bed sheets as well. YUCK.

on 6/28/2014 1:36:00 AM

Well, I was not impressed with this night cream at all, nor in any way.

Texture: Very thick and heavy.

Scent: It's the worse smelling skin product I have ever tried. It's this chemical, Acidic/Sour scent. It's very strong and takes probably a good thirty minutes to go away. The first time I tried this my husband came in to kiss me and afterwords said I smelled funky. He hated how this smelled and I seriously got less action because of it. Not worth it.

Finish: This was too heavy for my skin. Felt like it sat on top of my skin, never fully drying. I used a tiny amount too, it wasn't like I was applying it like icing.

Effects: Less sex and affection. I could have applied this after having our "fun" but I don't want to bother with getting up and removing makeup/applying skin care regimen etc. I wanna relax. Skin was peeling in the morning and later always way too oily. No noticeable, positive results.

I ended up giving away this product to someone who had allergies and stuffy most of the time. They couldn't smell this product at all.

on 4/13/2014 10:36:00 PM

Ok, I've tried Philosophy products a couple times before and usually I've not been to impressed. But my skin has started to change now that I'm in my 40s, so I thought, what the heck. People I know gave this a good review, and I was looking for a good night cream, so I tried it.
Its pretty good. Leaves my face feeling pretty moisturised in the morning. No, I don't see any changes in my skin, but at least its not gotten worse.
I'm not sure I will get it again. Maybe, but I'm not sure. I'll probably keep on the lookout for the perfect skin care line for me.

on 3/29/2014 9:38:00 AM

I am sensitive to 98% of creams/lotions on the martket (for face)... Prior to this I was using a Korean brand called MIZON, snail mucus...

I was apprehensive about using this night cream at first. I did not want to wake up oily, greasy and filled with pimples. Fortunately, this cream is AMAZING. It absorbs quickly, it smells like nothing, it is SUPER amazing to say the least. People always find some shit to complain about regardless but this review is coming from someone who is so sensitive, the wrong cream will set a bunch of breakouts.

My face has no acne on it but if I were to put something greasy on, it'll formulate quickly. This stuff is smooth and has a goey texture which kinda scared me at first... thick consistency!

I love this stuff and because of hope in a jar oil-free, I have become a fan of Philosophy. I love it so much a week after receiving my first hope in a jar, I hoarded and got 6 more for backup!

Definitely give this product a try and you will love it.

on 1/30/2014 5:27:00 PM

Bought this after using up a deluxe sample from Sephora. For reference I have normal/combo aging skin with fine lines, breakout prone, and very sensitive. I was very hesitant about using this since I have never been able to use an AHA without a bad reaction, but I use it every other night (Neutrogena Healthy Skin Night on the other nights) with no issues. I have used it for 2 months and have had no breakouts and in fact my breakouts and clogged pores have been greatly reduced. Not sure that it has taken away any fine lines, but my face is much smoother. I have normal/combo oily skin and this is moisturizing enough for a night cream. Kind of waxy feeling going on, but soaks in rapidly. Slight tingle and redness, but only for about 5 minutes. Cost is outrageous for what it is, but it takes only a pea size so the 2 oz jar should last about 5 months. Not happy about the jar packaging, and would prefer that it came in a tube like my deluxe sample. Will repurchase.

Popular Moisturizers