Elizabeth Taylor White Diamonds

3.0

on 7/6/2015 6:07:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

This is my favorite perfume of all time! It's a whole lot cheaper on Amazon, at first when I ordered it from there I was scared it wasn't the original. But it is. It's like half the price online than what it is in Macy's. I've seen some reviews that's it's an old grandmas smell. Like really? It smells really good. I wear it to work and at least 2-3 customers compliment me on it and ask me which perfume it is. They wouldn't ask me that if I smelled like a grandma. LOL. This is my second bottle so far, the bigger bottle (3.3 oz) lasts a long time. There are many different white diamonds perfumes, I know there's a yellow, gold and white one. My favorite is the gold one. It just had a better and longer lasting scent. It definently lasts the whole day... I love the compliments I get!

on 4/13/2015 8:14:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

I received a tiny bottle of White Diamonds free when I bought Elizabeth Taylor's Violet Eyes. I have the pure parfum. So, I can't comment on the edp or the edt. While I don't like White Diamonds as well as Violet Eyes, it's still very pretty. White Diamonds opens with a big whiff of aldehydes and white flowers. The floral notes become soapier over time. The dry down is laundry soap musky with some oakmoss. I especially love the lily in it. I was shopping and was smelling this beautiful lily aroma everywhere. Eventually I realized it was me! It's really weird. It's like a perfume within a perfume. White Diamonds is really strong though. People need to use a light hand during application, or it will become overpowering.

on 4/11/2015 5:39:00 PM

Uhmmm....this is a hard review to write..complex relationship with WD! Ok I give it 3 stars, which will sound odd when I tell you I wore it to work all Fall. I do like the smell, but during all that time I got 3 compliments...no biggie;-)
But the real problem with wearing WD is that it is very recognizable...meaning sold at Walmart during Christmas, and on the clearance aisle after!
I got 2 gifts sets, so I wear it because it is pleasant to my nose. Yet I will not repurchase because it is not exactly the image I am going for..lol!
Also this scent was huge when I am in college, so the memories attached to the scent are wonderful for me. That is worth a lot sine days.
Probably has had it day in my life...but ultimately the best of the drugstore scents.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

My sister asked for White Diamonds for Christmas. I knew our grandmother wore it (along with any and every Liz Taylor fragrance), but my memory of the scent itself was harsh and well... for mature women.

I bought a bottle for her, and since she is my sister :), I tested it before wrapping it up. It smells warm and exactly like my grandmother. The drydown is a lovely floral.

I also like White Diamonds & Emeralds, and will be buying the rest of the line when I can. Of course, I will definitely be buying my own bottle of WD!

Try it! Definitely wait for the drydown.

on 11/23/2014 1:05:00 AM

Okay, I know the ol' WD gets a bad rap for being geriatric and tacky. At the same time, it continues to sell extremely well and is ubiquitous on drugstore shelves; it also got a respectable 3 stars in Turin & Sanchez' Guide to Perfumes. One day, I decided that because of these factors, I just had to try WD for myself. I found an ounce bottle of the EDT, with a bonus mini parfum, for $15.

A sniff of the sprayer revealed some definite old-skool elements: deep, heady white flowers and fizzy aldehydes-- a bit like Chanel No. 5. Still, it seemed a lot more approachable than other vintage classics I've tried and really disliked, such as Opium and Youth-Dew. So, I took the plunge and sprayed one squirt down my shirt.

I was prepared to be terrorized and overwhelmed, possibly needing a shower. Instead, I was rewarded for my courage with a delightful, easy-to-wear white-floral aldehyde with a clean chypre base and no rough edges whatsoever! Sure, it had a perfumey, vintage feel; it was created nearly 25 years ago and was never exactly marketed to young girls. There was the expected powdery drydown common to scents of this type. But really, it smelled terrific! Uplifting, creamy, and fresh. At the same time, WD has a signature: it's easy to spot in a crowd, and the EDT strength is PLENTY. (I dabbed on the bonus parfum, but found that a bit sweet and heavy for my tastes; the florals in the parfum do run a bit indolic [dirty-smelling]. And I can't imagine wearing the matching body lotion, powder, etc. on top of the EDT.)

I've since put WD in frequent rotation. I love it! Sure, maybe there are elderly ladies in my neighborhood who marinate in the stuff because it's reasonably priced and they loved Liz Taylor. But you know? God bless 'em, they do have good taste, if impaired sinuses.

The moral here is, judge a fragrance on its own merits. As you can see from the reviews, there are women in their 20s for whom WD is a signature, and women in their 60s who dislike it. And from what I've read, WD continues to be a top-selling women's fragrance and Elizabeth Arden has no notions of discontinuing it. Maybe... just maybe... that's because it is truly lovely!

Update: this is now my favorite fragrance and I've almost used up a full size bottle of it. My kids (4 and 9) love it too. I don't WANT to love a drugstore fragrance more than my Chanel's and Marc Jacobses... But I can't help it, those gorgeous fresh aldehydes and creamy florals just sing to me. I even got the dusting powder, and I'm not a powder user normally, but it's a beautiful and more subtle way to wear this scent to work. Ahhhh, White Diamonds, you made me love you on your own merits-- certainly not on your reputation!

on 10/15/2014 5:10:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

This stuff lasts easily 12 hours and has moderate-to-major sillage (depending upon how much you apply). I just wish I liked the scent. It is okay on some people but not on me. I would describe it as a powdery white floral.

I was in cvs and there were fragrance samples out so I sprayed this out of curiosity and I really liked it so I bought it I can't describe it other than it smells classic and a lil powdery it reminds me of the chanel perfumes the two older ones #5 and coco its along those lines like a perfumy smell not sweet but I am really diggin this I never paid this any attention before but I'm glad I sampled it otherwise id have never purchased this.

on 8/7/2014 8:14:00 PM

Hubby gave this to me a few years back and initially I didn't go for it, but it's grown on me. It has quite a 'mature' scent to it I think, is very strong initially, but has super-staying power and becomes quite a bit less strong as time goes on. It's quite a nice fragrance that I would probably re-purchase. Plus the bottle is very pretty.

on 7/17/2014 4:13:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I love perfume of all types and styles even very heavy vintage styles like this one. This is quite a strong and heavy scent, much better suited for mature women. For young women this is far to overwhelming. I can't say I love this scent, a better description is I can "appreciate" it. But one small whiff hurts my head. Won't be using in the future.

on 2/26/2014 10:22:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Curly, Medium

Elizabeth Taylor's Diamonds and Rubies is one of my favorite perfumes of all time, one I've worn for years, yet I'd never tried White Diamonds. When I did, purely by accident, I wished I never had.

The bottle, you see, was sitting on the shelf at the drugstore, uncapped, for reasons unknown. I was reaching for a bottle of nail polish, and somehow managed to brush the sprayer with my sleeve, thus spraying this on my shirtsleeve, and worse still, my watchband.

Heaven help me. The shirt's been washed twice now, and the watchband -- metal, mind you -- has been all but Cloroxed, and I can still smell the acrid, awful scent of this perfume on both. It's like I'm dragging every old lady at church along with me everywhere I go each time I wear the watch, and it's very possible that the shirt's headed for the nearest Goodwill. Words cannot describe how badly I hate this perfume. It's so bad, in fact, that I don't even know how to describe the perfume at all. The closest I can come is floral air freshener sprayed in a stinky litter box.