October 23, 2014 | 912 users online

Foundations - E.L.F. - Acne Fighting Foundation

image 0image 1image 2

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/10/2014 7:00:00 PM More reviews by PiMehMeh

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I purchased a bottle of e.l.f.'s Studio Acne Fighting Foundation in the second lightest shade, Porcelain, some time before I had purchased Clinique's Acne Solutions Makeup in 02 Fresh Ivory, and switched from e.l.f.'s to Clinique's after two weeks so I could compare the two in effectiveness against acne.

My skin isn't acne-prone, but I do get an occasional zit or two that I normally treat with a salicylic acid-type skin care regimen. At the time of testing these two foundations, I was using the following 3 items to prep my skin: Neutrogena Naturals Purifying Pore Scrub to cleanse and exfoliate, Neutrogena Oil-Free Acne Stress Control Toner (2% salicylic acid) to tone, and Neutrogena Rapid Clear Acne Defense Face Lotion (2% salicylic acid) to moisturize. This skin care routine on its own has already been fairly effective at keeping my acne controlled, but I wanted to see if the e.l.f. foundation would compound the effectiveness throughout the day, at a fraction of the price of the Clinique foundation.

I'm happy to report that after two weeks of using the e.l.f. foundation that I have not had any additional break outs while my existing acne was being treated. I can't say however, if this foundation treated my acne on its own, since it was used with the aforementioned acne-fighting skin care. I have not been a fan of many of e.l.f.'s products save for their Studio Primer and their Mineral Eyeshadows, but this is another product that has surprised me. The packaging is practically the same as the Clinique foundation: the squeeze bottle dispenses from a needle tip so product is easy to control, and a little goes a long way with this medium-coverage (and buildable) product. The finish is not true, flat matte, but a natural-looking matte.

The only problem I have with this foundation is that although Porcelain was the closest match to my skin tone (about NC25 at the time of writing this review), it was still several shades too light, and there's a huge jump between e.l.f.'s Porcelain and Buff shades, the latter of which is likely too dark for me since it was too about 2 shades too dark for me in their Studio HD Mattifying Cream Foundation. So with the Acne Fighting Foundation in Porcelain alone, I looked a little sickly pale unless I added blush and bronzer. Clinique's second lightest shade of their Acne Solutions Makeup in Fresh Ivory was surprisingly a better match to my skin (maybe only a shade lighter than my natural skintone) and was just as effective as the e.l.f. foundation as far as coverage, finish, staying power, and effectiveness at controlling acne, although a bottle of the same amount of product costs about 4x the amount of e.l.f.'s.

For the record, Clinique's Fresh Ivory and e.l.f.'s Porcelain are both neutral in undertone and do not oxidize throughout the day.

While the two acne foundations are practically the same save for their shade offerings and exact ingredient lists (which are vastly different between the two), I'm left with a few options as far as shade offerings, my biggest problem with the e.l.f. foundation. I could skip the hassle and pay 4x the amount for Clinique's foundation in a closer shade, or I could purchase e.l.f.'s foundation in both Porcelain and Buff and put in a little work to mix the two shades to get my shade, and it would still cost only half the price of the Clinique foundation. I like cheap buys so if I had the time to customize my shade, I'd pick up two the two e.l.f. shades for only $12, but because I'm in a rush every morning, I find it convenient to have my match ready at the bottle.

Until e.l.f. broadens their shade offering so that there's a more middle-ground between Porcelain and Buff, I'd rather stick to Clinique's foundation for the ease of finding my shade and applying it, and getting out the door faster. But overall I have had great experiences with both foundations for what they're intended to do: treat acne. For those who can find their shades in both foundations, the choice is a matter of preference.

rated 2 of 5 on 7/27/2014 7:55:00 AM More reviews by unicornbl000d

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I was really excited to try this, and even more excited when a 50% off sale came about!

And I was thoroughly disappointed. I'm porcelain pale, and I bought their absolute lightest shade, and it was far too orange for me. And not just like one shade, I'm talking like two maybe three shades. I was so sad, but at the same time, I'm glad I didn't waste too much money on it!

Pros- Smells great, very inexpensive, builds, and blends well.

Cons- lightest shade is too dark for pale skin, very oily (two types of oil in it)

rated 4 of 5 on 7/4/2014 10:59:00 AM More reviews by SherryVoyles86

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I really love this foundation! I switched from physicians formula after reading reviews on here and I'm glad I did! This has full coverage but doesn't look cakey like PF did. I think the people complaining about that aren't using primer with it. It's super cheap too! The downside is that it isn't sold in any Targets near me so I have to either but it directly from the website or eBay. Also, it's definitely not acne fighting but I don't feel it worsens either. However, if I accidentally fall asleep without washing it off I will definitely wake up with a breakout. PF never did that. So just make sure you consistently wash it off every night and I don't think you'll have a problem. The only reason I didn't give it 5 stars is bc of the hassle of buying it.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/16/2014 7:59:00 AM More reviews by MissBlueJay

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I saw this product on a YouTuber's Video - YouTuber name: Shaaanxo

Decided to try out the foundation and make my own decision on it.

I WAS REALLY SURPRISED!

A little goes a LOOOOONG way!

And the coverage I got was fantastic! Better than my usual go to everyday foundation.

My Routine with application:

- I used the Real Techniques Miracle Complexion Sponge.
- I soaked the sponge in water, and squeezed out the water.
- Then on my plate (rectangle thick plastic bar thing I use for foundation and make up application), I put a little foundation on.
- Then with the flat tip of the sponge, dab a little foundation on the sponge and dabb off the excess, then apply on my face.

**After I apply my concealer I do like to put a little translucent powder under my eyes to help the makeup stay put and not crease up.**

This stuff stays on all day!
For me, it gave a flawless finish! with no creasing or wearing off.
The feel for the product on my skin was maybe slightly thick, but if you dab enough excess if thins out (if that makes sense)

The price I got for this product was well worth it to be honest!
$7.99 for a 30mL bottle, compared to my go to Revlon ColorStay Makeup $20.97 for a 30mL bottle...
I think I would happily buy this foundation more often! Even including postage form the site, it works out cheaper by like $5!!!

Packaging is cheap, but for the price you can buy it for, I wouldn't be complaining. Its nice and slim which works great for being on the go and travelling.

Even though it says Acne Fighting, I haven't worn this foundation long enough to see if it does help. When I notice a difference, I will repost an Update.

Overall: Very surprised with this product and highly suggest it! What have you got to lose?

Update 21/06/2014: Have been wearing this foundation for 5 days so far. Every morning I have my usual routine of washing my face, moisturising and then adding my foundation. I have noticed a difference!

My skin has smoothed out a bit. I did have dry sections around my chin where my face was recovering from its last attack of pimples, but now that area has smoothed out and is not AS dry. Skin seems to be clearing up a little. Every time I use this product the more I love it!

rated 4 of 5 on 6/12/2014 12:47:00 AM More reviews by RParkerxx

For the price of this foundation I would definitely recommend and WILL be re purchasing. I usually talk myself into thinking that cheap foundations won't do as good of a job as more expensive foundations. I wear either Laura Mercier Silk Creme, Kat Von D Lock It or Nars Sheer Glow on a day to day basis and thought why don't I try something more affordable for work during the week and use my good foundations for the weekends. I did start using Loreal true match and Loreal Magic Nude as seen used by Lauren Curtis and Carli Bybel on YouTube. LOVE True match but I still find I need to use a BB Cream as a base or use True Match on top to keep it lasting all day. With this ELF Foundation I apply once in the morning mixed with MAC Strobe Cream and I apply with a Sigma F80 Kabuki. The only thing is I hate not having a pump but it looks great in the end so it does counteract that downfall. I set some days with MAC Studio Fix Powder but other days I do not and I use Lioele Make Up Setting Spray. I work from 8:30am - 5pm and I find my makeup still looks flawless when I return home from work. I got this in Beige and I am a NC20 in Mac.. It is on the darker side by my chest is pretty tan at the moment so blends nicely. I will continue using this as it does the job and looks amazing all day... Cannot complain! :)

rated 3 of 5 on 5/25/2014 2:53:00 PM More reviews by woodenshoe

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Medium Brown, Neutral Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Black

This foundation looked great after application.The coverage was decent and it looked matte yet natural and velvety. What a shame that it turned my face into an oil slick after about two hours of wear. I tend to like E.L.F. products but this one was a disappointment.This foundation is intended to keep break outs at bay but I'm not at all sure of that. I wouldn't be surprised if it has the opposite effect on me.

I am still waiting for the first E.L.F. mattifying foundation for a wide range of skintones, from fair to dark. I will definitely try it as soon as it hits the market.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/23/2014 4:20:00 PM More reviews by CandiceLee

I got this during one of ELF's 50% off online sales for 3 bucks. Seeing as how it was so cheap I wasn't gonna be too let down if the foundation was a let down. It wasn't! My skin is always having issues and I'm one of those that wants the full coverage without looking plastered in makeup. This foundation did just that. It took minutes to apply with a real techniques makeup sponge and was super easy to put on. It covered everthing I needed it too without putting on a second layer. The only reason it didn't get 5 stars is because I haven't worn it long enough consistently to see if it's actually acne fighting. I do prefer longer wearing foundations and I felt this one needed to be touched up a little throughout the day, but for 3 dollars, and gorgeous coverage I'll deal with it.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/19/2014 8:33:00 AM More reviews by bih80

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

This cost me $3 because I waited for one of their online sales but usually it's $6 which, let me tell you, is a great deal! I have tested all of the ELF foundations and this one is, without doubt, my favorite. The way I applied it was mixing it with a small amount of MAC's strobe cream and working it with a flat kabuki brush on my face. The coverage is light to medium and it just applies very smooth. The bottle is perfect, it's a squeeze bottle that sits upside down which means you get every bit out. I set it with a bit of bronzer because I'm in Florida and there's no such thing as going without powder.

The consistency of the product is a cream, not liquid and all you need is a small amount to cover your face. I don't know if it's buildable because I don't need it, I just placed concealer on my trouble spots. I would keep it out of your eye area because it's got Salicydic Acid and Tea Tree so it can irritate a sensitive eye area.

My one sad complaint is that I'm NW25 and I got the Sand color and it was still too light. I'm going to have to get the Caramel color to mix it to see if I get the right color for my Summer tan. So if you're darker I don't know if the colors would work for you but it's such a nice product for $6 that it's worth trying out.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/8/2014 4:44:00 PM More reviews by ellablue123

I am Asian and i have yellow-toned and light-medium skin that is combination (dry but gets oily and acne-prone).

Pros:
Blends like a dream (BUT not for good reason...it has oil in it, which makes it slick and slide around easily when you blend it with a brush or a beauty blender)
Medium to high coverage
Packaging is easy to use and cute, looks more high end--Doesnt leak
Thick consistancy

Cons:
-this has 2 kinds of OILS in it, why did they think that would be a good idea for acne-prone people..
-Definitely feels a bit greasy going on, it blends like a dream because it's so slick and slightly slippery
-Color selection sucks. I use buff, which is one of the lightest colors and one of the only YELLOW based shades, but it's still a bit dark .
-$6 is not that incredibly cheap for a company like ELF...! The wet n wild coverall, which i love, is only like $3.
-Has very strong tea tree oil scent, which im not fond of. i dont like smelling my own face!

rated 5 of 5 on 4/27/2014 1:02:00 AM More reviews by Juliabuszac

OKAY NEVERMIND. I did a bad review, but using a beauty sponge this thing is magic, and for only 6 dollars. LOVE