December 19, 2014 | 1255 users online

Eye Shadow - E.L.F. - Warm Palette

• Price: $

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/13/2014 1:38:00 AM More reviews by Cindi33

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

This was a 32 shade palette that was released for holiday a few years ago. I first heard of this from Emilynoel83 beauty vlogger/newscaster/tv personality/makeup artist when she raved about it in her Drugstore Nude eye favorites video where she does a wonderful review on this. I used to use this like crazy and then I guess forgot about it and it sat dusty for a while. I have been rotating my stock so as to inspire new creative ideas and looks and this just happened to be on my shake up makeup look of the day. There are 32 neutrals to warm browns, grays, plums and cranberry shades in this palette. These all have a little shimmer in them and while none are totally matte, the flatter ones have such litte shimmer and are more satiny so it's nearly imperceptible while a few others are more frosty looking in the pans. There are some very lovely colors in here and I have done numerous eyes looks from everyday work friendly, to a naked no makeup look, to a darker sultry smoked out eye. This has everything you need for eye shadow base color, a highlight shade, a transitions shade, a defining shade, and accent colors. While the colors in this look like fall, this is a great year round use palette. I use these over eye primer/NYX eye base and they apply well and last all day on me without creasing or caking up. As with most eyeshadows, these have to be applied over primer though or they blend right into nothing and don't last at all. These are soft and pick up easily but also have a little fallout so be cautious of that. These are really easy to work with and blend well. I don't use the applicator included but I use the ELF brushes instead (the white ones sold individually). The pigment is okay but not as strong as my higher end ones. This isn't as nice as Wet n Wild ColorIcons but they are good for the cost and certainly wearable. For everyday use this works great and it is well worth the $5 I paid for it. I have hit pan on several of the colors I have used this so much. I wish there were more mattes and less shimmer but overall for what you get and the fact that all of these are wearable shades it's a sweet deal and they work just fine. I'm still pulling out the high end makeup for special occasion use and I'm not going to say this is a replacement for that because it certainly is not, but for an nice everyday use at a bargain, this is a winner. This is perfect for travel so I don't have to worry about damaging my expensive shadows or having them lost or stolen. It's not heartbreaking or upsetting when you're only out a little $5 cheapie palette. Overall, this is a good solid product and it makes me happy. E.L.F. has done it again, yes, please!

rated 3 of 5 on 7/18/2014 1:59:00 AM More reviews by aknakano

I admit, I fell for the color and finish selection. You get 32 colors that look quite nice in the pan, in a variety of finishes (from matte to satin to shimmery).

There are just kind of 'meh' quality eyeshadows. They have a lot of fallout and tend to have poor staying power. They are much better with a primer or base underneath. (Even the $1 ELF essentials primer works with these.) Do not judge the quality of the ELF singles or the quality of their other products based on this palette!

It was kind of a blessing in disguise that the hinge of my palette cracked. I depotted everything in a last attempt to make use of these. I magnetized a small box from a Sephora gift set, and magnetized the eyeshadows with a bunch of cheap freebie magnets. Surprisingly I am getting much more use out of them depotted since I can rearrange them into other trios. Moreover I can arrange some trios in a smaller magnet palette (the $1 elf essentials one, for example) and so I don't have to pull out the entire palette to use at most 5 colors at a time.

Another interesting thing I discovered when depotting-- some of these shades are VERY similar when applied. The super similar are arranged in the palette so that they are several spaces apart from each other, so it really does seem that you are getting 32 different colors looking at the online photos.

All in all, it is not something I would repurchase but I have been making use of it with the help of some primer and some creativity.

(P.S. I also found these shadows have even better staying power with the ELF smudge pots, though I'm sure they would pair nicely with any creme shadow base.)

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 12/4/2013 2:17:00 PM More reviews by jkpetite

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

Man, these shadows alone are pretty weak. But when paired with a good primer & base - they're pretty awesome. If you want success with this palette, be sure to use a primer & base beforehand. Otherwise, you will be pretty pissed at the performance of this palette. The shades are pretty in the pan but don't translate well when applied, unless you've used a base. See a pattern here? BASE! I was ready to chuck it then I gave it a try w/NYX eyeshadow base and it was a complete 180 in pigmentation and performance. Now it's a keeper and for $5 I'll take it.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/30/2013 6:08:00 AM More reviews by KristinRuiz94

Love it

rated 1 of 5 on 5/29/2013 11:46:00 PM More reviews by mackeenzieee

I bought this once when I first starting trying to accumulate lots of eyeshadows, but I should have known better than to trust a palette from E.L.F., hahah. I used the white to the pan and never reached for this palette again (I'd use any white to the pan though, nothing special about this one). These shadows are chalky, not very pigmented, and do not wear well. There's lots of fallout, no matter how you apply or use the brush to grab them. I've never had an entire palette get so dirty with fallout, either. This is a good palette for young beginners or to do someone's makeup at Halloween or something, but based on the price, you'd be better off with one of those inexpensive 88 colour neutral palettes available online from many brands.

rated 2 of 5 on 5/9/2013 6:15:00 PM More reviews by giainjersey

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I have tried a few ELF products and I am not a fan of any beside the facial whip and primer these eyeshadows are a bit chalky, crumbly and fades easily. I going to give these palette away or chuck it!