Tatcha Deep Rice Enzyme Powder

4.6

Hair: Black, Wavy, Other

This is my favorite skincare product, hands-down, and the thing that's made the most difference in my skin texture. I have combination skin that's highly clog-prone with noticeable sebaceous filaments on my nose - makeup tends to sit on top of it and highlight any bumpiness. Since I started using this powder 2 months ago though, these issues have largely been mitigated. Skintone is much, much more even and I no longer have those hundreds of tiny bumps that make my foundation look terrible under bright light. I regularly go out barefaced now because my skin finally looks good without makeup.

How I use: I apply this once every night after removing any makeup/residual oil with a basic cleanser. I exfoliate each area of my face for about 20 seconds, concentrating on my cheeks and nose (where I'm most clog-prone). I then let the product sit for about another minute for maximum exfoliation. I know the instructions advise you to leave the product on for 25 seconds, but I've found my skin is much softer when I let the product sit longer - you will have to build up to this because this method may be too harsh/drying initially. Be sure not to exfoliate one area for more than 25 seconds at a time because you will experience redness.

When I rinse my face my skin feels very smooth but not stripped - there's no residue left, and no noticeable dryness (even without moisturizer, which I don't use). One huge bonus I've noticed is that the sebaceous filaments on my nose get purged - I just use my towel to wipe them away. I've noticed best results when I use the powder before applying actives (vitamin C serum combines beautifully with this) or a sheet mask.

So happy to have found this product. Prior to it I used a Clarisonic because my extremely reactive skin doesn't tolerate much, especially chemical exfoliants like AHAs/BHAs and retinoids. The Clarisonic was okay, but never exfoliated very deeply or made a significant different to the quality of my skin. The brush was also a pain to keep clean and replacements were prohibitively expensive. Tatcha's exfoliant is quicker and easier so I never skip this at night.

This stuff seems expensive but I've gone through half my container in 2 months (and I apply a generous amount each time, probably more than I really need). I expect one tub to last at least 4 months, so it's a good bargain overall. Even better if you get it 20% of during their friends & family sale. Another bonus - Tatcha's customer service is impeccable. I ordered the deep powder along with the classic rice powder during their F&F sale and decided I wanted to exchange the classic for another container of the deep version *past* my return window. A lovely sales rep let me do this at no charge so I could retain my original discount.

If you're looking for something similar to this product that's cheaper, check out NUDE Skincare's Detox Brightening Powder Wash (not the gentle version), which is $42. It exfoliates just as well as Tatcha's and leaves skin very, very smooth - almost like you did a peel. Be warned though that it's not for breakout or clog-prone skin. My skin looked incredible immediately after using NUDE's product but broke out in bumps the next day because of the mix of oils in it. Stick to Tatcha's if you're acne-prone and go for the deep rice powder, which exfoliates more thoroughly than the gentle and classic versions.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

I was in need of a good exfoliator that was "alpha and beta-hydroxy" free as I am currently pregnant. A sales associated at Sephora recommended this as a gentle daily exfoliant. I went with the "Deep" as it is for oily skin. It has been such a skin saver for me. Prior to my pregnancy my skin requires glycolic acid and retinol to be acne free. I need the exfoliation to keep my skin clear. This product works great.

At first there is a learning curve: how much powder to water to use. It should foam up nicely and not be a paste. It does not feel abrasive to my skin at all. I leave it on for about 2 minutes to let the papain enzyme work its magic. (apply, brush my teeth, then rinse off)

Pricey, but the product should last for several months. I've been using it for 2 months now, and not at the 1/2 done with the powder.

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

WOW. This has to be one of the best skin products I have ever used. Lathers in the hands really nicely and smells AMAZING. After I rinsed my face my skin was GLOWING and immediately softer than it's EVER been. My skin has really never ever looked so good, they is going to be a HG in my regimen. LOVE LOVE LOVE

I have used both Tatcha Deep Rice Enzyme Powder Classic and Fleur de Lis powder and they are definitely not identical. Other than being cleansers they have nothing else in common.

Tatcha is an exquisite cleansing powder of the highest quality with no scent, that when wet makes a lovely, soft, foamy facial cleanser.

Fleur de Lis is also a powder but when wet has a very unpleasant odor and is gritty.

Tatcha is more expensive but it is such a superior product. I look forward to using it every day.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This reminds me of a long ago love - the Body Shop's Adzuki Bean powder wash. Then I moved on to Komeniku Bijan's Rice Powder wash. This is infinitely nicer, (and pricier,) than either of those. The container is indeed beautiful and serene. It has almost no scent and foams magically from a murky dust. It makes the skin super soft and matte. In a nutshell, I love it. What's within is actually as evolved as the higher price tag and fancier package would suggest.

I received a pouch of this as a free sample when I ordered a $3.95 sample of one of their cremes (I can't remember if it was the eye creme or the moisture rich silk creme). I saw the offer on one of those banner ads that pops up when I'm on this site, and it looked interesting so I clicked through. I spent $3.95 to cover S&H for the creme sample and even though I was just getting a sample, they still let me pick (3) free samples, which I thought was really nice. This was one of the samples & I was very excited to try it. Ordinarily, I have oily, acne-prone skin that virtually breaks out at the mere mention of moisture. HOWEVER, this winter, being one of our worst on record, has finally beat my acne down, and I actually have dry skin. Shocking for me. (Our wind chills have been between 30-55 below zero with regular temps from -10 to -20F). I figured a sample this small couldn't possibly do my skin any harm, and in fact, it might help, seeing how I really have no idea how to cope with dry skin (I've had oily skin for 25 years). This product, according to the site, doesn't contain all those bad, nasties like parabens and artificial chemicals. If I'm going to go the moisture route, I am CERTAIN my skin will be pissed if I use anything less than natural; it would be a pore-clogging guarantee. In trying my sample, I found this product to be really cool. Awesome even. It looks like a pile of drywall dust in your hand, but add water, and it "magically" starts to foam & suds. I did not notice any fragrance. I rubbed it in all over my face and rinsed, and I have to say, I think that is the softest my skin has ever felt. It was soft, but not that gross, greasy, oily kind of soft. I loved it. This stuff is incredibly expensive, so I looked around to see if anyone else makes something comparable. DHC makes a washing powder, which I think I will try because it is way more reasonably priced, BUT I won't be trying it right now because it seems to be more for the kind of skin I usually have (oily). In the meanwhile, I went ahead and dropped the $70 to buy the full-size of this, and I can't wait for it to get here...hopefully while my skin is still in the mood to be dry. I will say, I think the price is insane & the packaging doesn't look too practical, so I will update my review later to note whether my skin continues to love this product & it is worth the price, and to let you know how I like the full-size packaging.
**UPDATE**: I purchased the full-size, and have to say, the packaging is pretty genius. It resembles a big, beautiful egg and looks glass, but thank goodness, it's plastic so it's ok for in the shower. The large white lid comes off and then there is a small slider that opens to a very small hole that dispenses just enough product. I love that. My skin is still in its dry mode, so I began using this product right away. This is bad, but sometimes I only cleanse my skin once per day, either morning or night, and just use a toner to remove make-up/dirt/oil before bed. I feel strange admitting this, as someone who had ALWAYS suffered from oily skin before now, but cleansing with this product twice a day was too much! I never thought I'd see the day when my skin would be too dry to be cleansed twice! I used this morning and night, and by my night cleansing (used nothing else), the effect was slightly taut, reddish skin. In a way, this makes me love the product more, because that means when my skin goes back to being its oily self, I will have a great product to use. In the meanwhile, I will use only once a day. If you are the type of person with all-year, all-the-time dry skin, Tatcha makes two more gentle formulas - I would suggest one of those instead of this. I changed my rating from 5 to 4 lippies though, because I am disappointed that my skin can't feel that absolutely amazing softness from using this twice daily.

Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse

I discovered this product father purchasing 'The Sampler,' which is a 2-week supply of Tatcha products. This is either the first or second step depending upon whether or not you use the camellia oil cleanser first. I use a Sunday Riley cleanser. Then follow with the Deep Rice Enzyme Powder. It's not only effective, but it's fun o use. You simply place a teaspoon of the powder in your wet palm, and rub your hands together until a lather is formed. It's very gentle, and my skin feels clean and radiant after use. Definitely the product I like the most from the entire line. A keeper.

I blame MUA because I think I discovered Tatcha through a banner ad. I tried the sampler kit and fell in love with this line. I can't really afford to but I did and this is my HG cleanser and exfoliator. Of everything in their line, I will buy this forever. This powder is so gentle and has helped my face clear up! The 'deep' has dokudami which is especially beneficial for healing acne. All of the rice powders have the HADASEI-3 Bioactive Complex. You can read into all that fun on their site. It is so so gentle and my face is so soft and smooth afterwards. I use this morning and night but you only need a little so luckily, it goes a long way! I looked into other enzyme powders but all had sulfates. Everything Tatcha is made without Mineral Oil, Synthetic fragrances, Sulfate Detergents, Parabens, PEGs, PPGs, Urea, DEA, TEA or Phthalates (thanks, copy/paste!) This does such an amazing job of clearing my pores that I sold my Clarisonic. It's that good.

If you've a different skin type, there's also a Gentle and Classic rice enzyme powder. I use it to cleanse morning and night (at night, if I've worn make up, I start with the Camellia oil samples I'm still milking). You've got to at least try the two-week set. The customer service is exemplary- a little handwritten note with every order and amazingly fast delivery. Five stars, holy grail, will repurchase forever.