December 19, 2014 | 826 users online

Lipstick - NARS - Satin Lip Pencil in Yu

rated 5 of 5 on 7/27/2014 2:52:00 PM More reviews by SamanthaLouise16

This has been my staple lip product ever since I purchased it. First of all, Nars has the best packaging, that soft plastic or whatever they use is so divine I nearly have a sexual attraction to it. I don't remember how much this product cost, but I would guess between $20-$30, which is a lot but it's great quality and lasts a very long time. Because it's more of a stain it will last through cocktails and cigarettes alike, if that's your cup of tea (it withstands tea, as well). I'm not a makeup-ista enough to have a separate lip pencil sharpener, so I just use my eye pencil one and it does the trick. I share this pencil with my best friend when we go out (yeah yeah, I know...) and we both have fabulous bright pink lips that work on either of our skin tones. You can apply a little or a lot and it always looks good, rub it around and make your lips look more plump. The color makes your skin and eyes pop, it's insanely flattering. Wear it with no eye makeup and look like you're about to walk the runway for spring. It's youthful, bright, and versatile. I feel like a rock star when I wear it. Out of my entire collection of drugstore and higher-end makeup, this is my favorite item.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/7/2014 4:58:00 PM More reviews by izzybella

I love the NARS Satin lip pencil formula and was hoping that Yu would be the answer to my bright pink lip color lemming. However, it's a tad too cool-toned and vivid for me and I prefer TF$ Flamingo straight from the tube. Yu can be blotted out so its intensity can be varied, it's just a bit too blue-based pink to be flattering on me. If you're neutral/cool-toned, you'll probably have more luck with Yu.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/16/2013 1:02:00 PM More reviews by yunibaek

Overall, it is one of the best lip products I have used.
It stays on all day and it doesn't smudge off as easily as other products.
The only downside of this product would be that it makes my lips dry and flaky at the end of the day. I have very dry lips, so I have to put on a whole tone of lip balm before applying Yu. But, I generally do this before applying any color on to my lips, so it's not really the product at fault. I want to try other colors in this series after I finish Yu.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/22/2013 2:07:00 PM More reviews by plumblush

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

This is one of those, "Now, why did I buy this again?" things. I like the NARS lip pencils. This one is smooth and piles on saturated color quickly. But, oh man, it is bright. This is entirely my fault, of course. I know that I don't look good in bright pinks, but it was so pretty I bought it anyway. On the whole, I would recommend it to someone with the right coloring for it because everything else about it is pretty great.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/25/2013 3:55:00 PM More reviews by dreamspice

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I love the color, the finish, the texture and the staying power of this lippy but I HATE the pencil packaging! I think you get A LOT less product for your money, and that's before you take into account the waste from sharpening it. Although I prefer the color of Yu to Carthage, I will not be buying it again because Carthage fills my need for a bright pink lippy in a much better package.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/16/2013 12:38:00 PM More reviews by paslarissa

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I wasn't planning to buy this but I fell in love with the color! I'm a bit scared of bright lipsticks but when I tried it on I fell in love, it looks amazing with a clean face and just that touch of color, and it's very long lasting. After a while the glossy finish goes and the stain remains but looks super natural. It's expensive but I would totally would buy this again because besides the color the formula is very comfortable on my super dry lips, the only downside is the packaging. I read many reviews that you have to buy the NARS one but looking through my stuff I found that the Benefit one fits perfectly because it has 3 sizes and the bigger one can fit this pencil. Overall HG product!

rated 5 of 5 on 7/14/2013 1:25:00 AM More reviews by sillyfoolxp

My HG. I only recently started wearing lip color in the past year and have tried all sorts of lip stains, lipsticks, and my personal fave, jumbo lip pencils. Revlon Just Bitten was my favorite, until I met Yu (I couldn't help myself). These pencils from NARS are just amazing. They are long-lasting, amazingly pigmented (as are all of their products), and not drying at all. I have super dry lips and need to reapply lip balm constantly, also my job consists of talking all day, so when I say this pencil is HG, I mean it. I apply this in the morning and once it sets, it doesn't really go anywhere. It does tend to rub off after a few hours, but reapplying doesn't cause it to get cakey at all. This color is just gorgeous. It's a bright, pigmented, warm magenta. It's definitely a satin finish, not matte at all. It feels like nothing on my lips; I forget I have it on! Everytime I do check to see if I need a touch up, I'm always pleasantly surprised by how much the product has stayed on my lips. Worth the price! I'm definitely picking up more colors the next time I'm at Sephora.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/12/2013 11:17:00 AM More reviews by DeaUhh

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Silver, Other, Other Eyes: Green

The best summer colorrrr! Especially mixed with Schiap! Best combination everrrr.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/4/2013 2:37:00 AM More reviews by paperdoll51

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I love this color! I popped my lipstick cherry with this. If it seems like I went from not swimming at all (no lipstick, anytime, ever) to jumping in the ocean (can't miss it, can't ignore it pink) - yes, that is exactly what it felt like, even to me.

I felt terribly self-conscious the first time I dared to wear it, but throughout the night grew more comfortable with it. The big pluses were:
- The jumbo crayon packaging, which made it really easy to control how much color you want on your lip. I didn't find it drying at all (surprisingly, because it was a pencil) but because it was a pencil, it also wasn't too oily/slippery.
- The color! I thought it would come on as bright fuschia, but it wasn't too bright at all for night look. It's a very vampy, sophisticated pink at night.
- I'm pretty fair but this goes with my colouring - it didn't drain out my face.
- Stayed on while I ate and drank, though faded slightly after dinner. I did a quick touch up and all fine. Very long lasting - it was actually difficult to get off even at the end of the night. And doesn't smudge your teeth,

Cons were the packaging (the pencil cover fell off in my purse and the pencil stained the inside of my purse - thankfully, there wasn't a lot of product to smudge off by then) and the size of the pencil (I had to search high and low for a sharpener that would fit the pencil. You'll need the NARS sharpener, or the Shu Uemura sharpener).

rated 5 of 5 on 6/29/2013 1:31:00 PM More reviews by gingerbug

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I am in love with this stick and the color! I like to call it an 'electric pink.' At first I was worried it would be too much because I have such pale skin but it looks amazing. This applies very easily and has a beautiful sheen. I've seen it wear off a bit onto glasses/food which I see with any lipstick but once the sheen is gone it looks like a nice stain. Honestly, if possible I would fill a warehouse with this color because I am so in love with it.