October 25, 2014 | 1721 users online

Skincare - Face - Liz Earle - Liz Earle Sun Shade SPF 24 Face Protector

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 6/29/2013 6:17:00 AM More reviews by prettypollyperkins

I wouldn't dream of using this on my face again, even on a beach holiday. It's simply too thick. And the SPF in it isn't even that high. I get more from most of my BB creams.

rated 2 of 5 on 8/26/2011 4:50:00 PM More reviews by kimannj

I was really disappointed with this product, I bought it after trying a few other Liz Earle products. In general, I liked the Liz Earle products I've tried but not been amazed enough to use them again.

This is slightly tinted so doesn't leave a white caste which most non-chemical filters do. The packaging states the cream is light and non-greasy. However, it is actually a very thick, heavy and greasy cream that takes a lot of effort to work in. My skin is combination and tends to be oily on the t-zone so this is a nightmare for me. I don't want to waste it so am using it on my body instead, but even on my forearms where I have dry skin this remains greasy for the entire day.

Will definitely not repurchase - it's like zinc that cricketers wear rather than suncream!

rated 1 of 5 on 5/10/2011 6:04:00 AM More reviews by Katie411

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Relaxed, Medium Eyes: Brown

I got a few testers of this to try, and even though I know this is by a good company and that the full size would be expensive (so in that regard a treat) I can't bring myself to finish even one tester. The main problem is that it seems to leave a strange purple tint to my face. I didn't seem to get sun burnt when wearing it, but I must confess that after a few attempts I gave up. It looked ridiculous. I know I could use a mirror and blend, but I want a product I can reapply when I'm out doors and on the go/working and this really didn't suit. I simply don't have time to faff around trying to make sure I don't look an odd colour. It didn't seem to break me out though which is a plus.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 6/19/2009 9:58:00 AM More reviews by Jstar2009

Liz Earle products are generally on the whole excellent but this sunscreen doesn't deliver. It is very dense and leaves a thick white cast over your face. You could not use this on a day to day basis. I hope they reformulate this product as the ingredients are fantastic (all physical mineral sunblocks and antioxidants). On hot days I will use this if I'm around the house as UV rays can penetrate through windows, but thats only becuase the public won't see me!

rated 3 of 5 on 5/19/2009 1:27:00 PM More reviews by evemarie2

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I just used this product for the first time and I'm very disappointed with it. I usually use Clinique City Block but wanted to try this because I just recently started using Liz Earle products and wanted to try the whole range. It is very thick and white and when I put foundation over it it gathered into white patches on my face - it looked dreadful.I've only had it on for about three hours so I can't really judge it's sun protection qualities but I know just by looking in the mirror that I won't be buying it again - I look like wax dummy! My face has a weird looking sheen even though I put a good coating of powder over my foundation - it looks like I've got sudocream on it, it's so white and shiny! I'm pale skinned so if it looks like this on me I dread to think what it would be like on darker skin! I love Liz Earles ethics and the customer service is excellent but I'm on the fence about alot of the products - I think they're good but most of them seem more suitable for normal skin (mine is dry with occasional breakouts). A big thumbs down from me I'm afraid - I wouldn't recommend this sunscreen - sorry Liz!
Update, 07/05/10: This product has been reformulated - I haven't tried it yet but from what I have read on the LE website and Facebook page it is much lighter in texture and now has a slight tint (similar to Clinique City Block). Will definitely try the new formula and will keep you posted!

Edit: I tried the new version and while it's better than the original it's still not great - might be worth trying the small tube to see what you think. I'm 'upping' the score from 1 lippie to 3!

rated 4 of 5 on 7/8/2008 9:51:00 PM More reviews by charmax

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Kinky, Medium Eyes: Brown

I was initially unhappy with this product as I was surprised when I took a travel size on holiday with me and found it was a sunblock and not a lotion as I thought it would be. It leaves your face noticably white which meant I had to apply foundation when I really didn't want to.

However, the trial size lasted me a 6 day holiday in Egypt when my face did not burn once. I re-applied the product everytime I applied my body sun lotion. Overall I am pretty happy with the product and would definitely repurchase for another holiday so as not to undo all the good work of my Liz Earle skincare routine!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/18/2008 3:21:00 PM More reviews by alisonmidd

My skin tends to break out when I use suncreams and after some research found that mineral sunscreams should not produce a reaction on the skin, so I turned to Liz Earle (products I swear by!) and bought this alongside the body protector and the aftersun in a set. I really like it, I haven't broken out since using it, it does take a bit more effort to rub in but once it has it goes lovely and matte, as most other suncreams I have used tend to leave my skin greasy looking. I never burnt which for my delicate extremely fair skin which usually burns after five minutes is amazing! I can see that those who have tanned skin would find that the product leaves a kind of white film, but my skin is so fair it evens it out! I will certainly continue to use.

rated 2 of 5 on 3/31/2008 3:59:00 PM More reviews by angelfish12

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

i love liz earle products and i was expecting to like this but i didn't at all. this left a white cast on my face, that was really noticable. it faded a bit after a while but not completely. the cream was also quite difficult to spread, and was greasy.
i only used a little bit, so if you used enough to get the spf 25 sun protection it would be very greasy and white. it did protect my skin well from the sun, but the downside is too much, so i won't be repurchasing.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/17/2007 7:37:00 PM More reviews by wilsonj3

I recently started reading about the negative effects of chemical sunscreens, so I purchased Sun Shade by Liz Earle because it is non-chemical. It goes on smooth and light. (Some chemical free sunscreens can be very thick and heavy.) The only drawback is that it takes a while to sink in. I usually use it after my moisturizer and before my facial self tanner. I haven't seen it on the Liz Earle website recently, to my disappointment.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/6/2006 5:16:00 PM More reviews by Sinthea

Age: 44-55 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I think I like this better in theory than in reality, but I haven't found anything better. It is a bit thick, go easy applying it - a small quantity at a time, as it is a little tough to work in and too much will just never all sink in. It has definitely worked in terms of protecting my skin, so I'm grateful for that. But it does very definitely leave a rather ghostly white shimmer to the skin - people always tell me I look pale or ill when I've just put it on. I use it by itself after washing, no moisturiser, and it has been adequate on the moisturising (my skin is sensitive, dry and 47). If they could get the texture and sink-in-ability sorted, I'd give it the fifth lippy. Are you listening, liz?