Tatcha One Step Camellia Cleansing Oil

4.2

Cetyl Ethylhexanoate, Oryza Sativa (Rice) Bran Oil, Polyglyceryl-10 Dioleate, Polyglyceryl-2 Sesquicaprylate, Water, Glyceryl Behenate/Eicosadioate, Ethylhexylglycerin, Phenoxyethanol, Camellia Japonica Seed Oil, Algae Extract, Alcohol, Camellia Sinensis (Green Tea) Leaf Extract, Glycerin, Fragrance (Natural)

on 7/18/2015 1:35:00 AM

I absolutely LOVE this Cleansing Oil (sigh). I tried this 2 years ago and this is the BEST Cleansing Oil I have ever used (I'm 49, VERY dry skin, using cleansing oils for the past 10 years). The oil performs beautifully and the SCENT (natural) is SWOON worthy (for me anyway).

PERFORMANCE: I usually use DHC Cleansing Oil (my classic) but when I need a treat (Treat Yo' Self!), Tatcha just does it for me. Yes, it's pricey but I only need 1/3 to 1/2 of this (compared to other brands). Remember to SHAKE before using. I massage the oil onto my DRY face for 30 seconds and add water, product turns milky and rinses away clean. I sometimes leave the oil on for 10 - 15 minutes and massage - this helps me deep clean. Texture is luxurious, cleans beautifully yet leaves my very dry skin supple/moist with NO film/residue.

PACKAGING: Beautiful sturdy functional bottle (with lock and cap) that upgrades any basin/bathroom :-).

Ingredients:Cetyl Ethylhexanoate, Oryza Sativa (Rice) Bran Oil, Polyglyceryl-10 Dioleate, Polyglyceryl-2 Sesquicaprylate, Camellia Japonica Seed Oil, Glyceryl Behenate/eicosadioate, Water, Algae Extract, Camellia Sinensis (Green Tea) Leaf Extract, Glycerin, Ethylhexylglycerin, Alcohol, Fragrance (Natural), Phenoxyethanol.

Formulated without:
Mineral Oil, Synthetic Colors, Synthetic Fragrances, Sulfate Detergents, Parabens, PEGs, PPGs, Urea, DEA, TEA or Phthalates.

Other Oil Cleansers I have TRIED:
- DHC, $28 for 6.7 oz, wonderful, classic for me (my 1st cleansing oil), this was on par with Bosica but DHC nourishes my skin more
- Boscia Cleansing Oil - $28 for 5 oz, The fragrance is lovely, texture is less heavy than DHC's (formula has emulsifiers first THEN oils) - excellent oil cleanser but I reach for the DHC (as it seems more nourishing or my skin)
- Origins Clean Energy Oil - $29 for 6.7 oz, gorgeous but with formula (oils first then emulsifiers), I sometimes need more cleansing but this one is prob. amazing for sensitive skin.
- Amore Pacific Treatment Cleansing Oil - $50 for 6.8 oz, okay left a "slightly oily/greasy film" and my skin was not as radiant or bright or as soft compared to when I use cleansing oils from Boscia or DHC.
- Sulwhasoo - $36 for 6.8 oz (reasonable for Sulwhasoo), okay but this does not feel as nurturing as Tatcha, DHC. Sulwhasoo's ingredient list might indicate why.
- The Face Shop Ricewater Cleansing Rich Oil, $12 for 5 oz - you get what you pay for :-( (too thick, film-y) but this is better than Shu Uemura's Cleansing Oil!
- Shu Uemura's Cleansing Oil, $37 for 5 oz, only positive is the nice bottle. Horrible fact: main ingredient is mineral oil (ugh) while DHC's is olive oil. Shu's oil left a disgusting film on my face which left me feeling unclean (culprit - mineral oil).

Tatcha customer service (from Tatcha website) is TOP level (kind, patient, really understanding). I called them 3x over past few years and EACH time - they are so GREAT; smart, kind, REAL, welcoming, they seem to be genuinely curious about your product experience whether it's good or bad, they don't rush you off the phone - I don't know any other customer service that matches their level. Tatcha is pricey but they deliver a great experience in many ways and I'm more than happy to support whatever way I can to a GREAT company that delivers great products.

I am 49 yrs old with dry skin since my mid 40s (but had combo/oily skin before). People who work in skincare (dermatologists, plastic surgeon nurses, aestheticians, sales associates at Bergdorf, Barneys, Saks) think I'm 28-34 so I try to take care of my skin.

on 7/6/2015 6:33:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Warm

The biggest and perhaps the most noteworthy aspect of this oil cleanser is that it truly melts everything away, including the most tenacious Japanese waterproof mascaras on the market. This is what sets this cleansers apart from your average run of the mill eye makeup remover or face wash. This is why for me it is completely, undoubtedly, worth the money. No more leftover residue on my eyelashes, no more rubbing, no more dragging the delicate skin around the eyelids. Neutragena's makeup remover just isn't cutting it anymore.

I dab two drops and pat the oil cleanser around the eye area, very gently, and in less than 30 seconds all my waterproof mascaras were melted away with a bit of water. For reference, I use Heroine Kiss Long&Curl, which is a Japanese mascara so difficult to remove the company has actually manufactured its own separate remover, but I also alternate between YSL Faux Cils Waterproof and Full n Soft Waterproof. (I have Asian, fine and straight lashes and therefore all my mascaras must hold a curl.)

Undoubtedly it also is a fabulous oil cleanser, more refined than Kose Softymo's cleansing oil (which is also a great product but not as effective as Tatcha's), and cleanses the skin of dirt, pollution and makeup extremely well.

It's expensive. But I truly doubt that there is a cheaper alternative that cleanses or melts makeup away as well as this product. This isn't a product that I would necessarily use everyday, and I also use cheaper alternatives such as Kose Softymo's cleansing oil and Kiehl's Ultra Facial cleanser, but when my makeup is especially long lasting and requires more hard core cleansing... this is the product I reach for.

I recommend this product for those who have ultra refined tastes and are looking for the top of the line cleansers. However, one can purchase the travel size for $12 for those who want to give the product a go but don't want to shell out $48 for the full size... just something to think about :) The site has free shipping and returns... what are you waiting for ?

(As an after note, I have tried virgin olive oil as a remover and Tatcha is far better for the type of makeup I use.)

on 6/29/2015 11:41:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

After many rave reviews from beauty bloggers, I have purchased a travel size bottle of the One Step Camelia Cleansing oil from Tatcha - 25 ml for $12.

First the GOOD: Refillable glass bottle with pump and lock. The oil dissolves makeup and emulsifies with water similar to many other cleansing oils out there.

The BAD: Could not use it around my eyes because it caused an irritating and burning sensation on my skin. Just with the very first use. I suspect the strong fragrance - Tatcha says natural, but it is fragrance nonetheless. To my nose it smells sweet citrus based, no Camellia.

The CONCLUSION: After just one use, packed it back in the box, called Tatcha to obtain a return authorization and dropped it off at FedEx. (What a hassle, what bad customer service. Had to call several times, don't think will order from Tatcha ever again.)

I'll stick with my Clinique Take the Day Off Cleansing oil. No fragrance, absolutely does not bother my eyes, removes makeup, tenacious sunscreen etc. and rinses clean with water. Available at Sephora ($27 for 200 ml) and Sephora has the best Customer service ever.

on 6/16/2015 1:05:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

This cleansing oil is excellent for melting off even stubborn waterproof make up, and doesn't have any of the fragrance or detergents that would cause my extremely thirsty and irritable skin to revolt into fits of irritation and/or breakouts. It applies very smoothly, and rinses clean without any residual stickiness or grease.

The packaging is sleek, and the pump has a locking mechanism, which is handy for those who travel, or are a touch clumsy and tend to knock things accidentally off of their bathroom shelves. :D

I won't claim that this price point is going to be workable for everyone, as it is expensive ($48 for 150ml). However, a tiny bit goes a long way, and the bottle will last a long time, even for those of us who have to cleanse off a full face of make up daily.

As light as this is, it is still an oil, and might be a touch too rich for oily/combination skin. If you are also on the dry/sensitive end of the spectrum, this is a quality product, which I am totally planning to repurchase.

on 5/24/2015 11:34:00 PM

I'm reviewing this based on a sample I got from Sephora, I wanted to try this oil because I love the Enzyme powder, it removes all of my makeup and makes my face soft but I still need to use a second cleanser to get rid of the oiliness. I'll stick to a foaming cleanser that I can use with my Clarisonic brush.

on 3/22/2015 12:52:00 PM

This is a lovely, lightweight cleansing oil that takes off the majority of my makeup, including eyes, smells great and doesn't leave behind a greasy film on my face.

Skin: Combination, Other, Warm

Hair: Black, Other, Coarse

It cost me a whopping $60 Canadian dollars to buy this! And so you think I would return it since there are other oil cleansers that are cheaper and just as effective. But no, I am keeping my bottle because for 1, it works easily to melt off errythang off my face....2, the ingredients list is awesome (no fragrance!)....3, the bottle. Yes, the bottle! It is perfectly designed with a twist off cap that I can refill with another oil cleanser once this runs out. Plus it seems safe for traveling because it has a "twist and lock" mechanism to close the pump (twist to the right and you can dispense product, twist to left to lock the pump). Sooooo, I am keeping my overpriced cleanser TYVM and will refill it with another once done (will try L'Occitane shea oil cleanser or The Body Shop's chamomile oil cleanser next). Yea yea...these options may have fragrance but I am kind of ok with that in a cleanser.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I am addicted to Tatcha cleansing oil along with her other products. I have been using quite a few Asian skincare lines for the past three years. I have liked most products. I was using oils but also different cleansers so I did not feel a oil cleanser was a big deal. I tried The History of Whoo, Sulwhasoo and SKII (favorite) cleansing oils but then I bought the Su:m37 rose cleansing stick and was not using my oils as much. Once I tried Tatcha cleansing oil and her enzyme face powder I felt like all the other oils I used could not measure up to how great these products are. I try to give a product a good three plus months to feel if it is really working and good and can tell in a shorter time frame if it does not agree with my skin or I don't like it. This oil is wonderful, it turns in to a milky cleanser when you add water and rinses totally clean leaving no oil residue on your face or in your eyes. My skin feels so soft and also moisturized. Some cleansers leave a tight feeling on my face. Because I like this product so much I gave a bottle to my daughter to try and she loves it. She had very sensitive skin, prone to redness and hormonal acne with clogged pores. She said this oil takes off all her makeup and leaves her skin clean and soft. She hated many of the drugstore oils she bought for makeup removal because she said her skin still felt oily or her eyes cloudy. Now she has been giving the trial size bottle of this oil as gifts to her friends. I also do this and a few of my friends who never used oil cleansers have now switched. Yes the price is expensive but you only need a small amount for your whole face and then you add water to it to wash your face after the oil alone so it does a great job.

on 2/10/2015 10:45:00 AM

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

This may have replaced DHC as my favorite oil cleanser! I've tried a lot of cleansing oils (Shu, DHC, Nars, Mac, etc.) and I haven't strayed from DHC because I haven't found anything better, but I may like Tatcha's enough to make the switch. It has a thicker consistency and a heavenly scent that makes washing my face feel so luxurious! It removes makeup easily (including liquid liner and waterproof mascara) and leaves my skin soft. I currently follow up with the Tatcha rice powder and serum from the discovery kit, and the products seen to work well together. My only qualm is that it contains alcohol, although it's near the end of the list of ingredients.

on 2/1/2015 9:59:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

I just received the sample bottle of this ....and so far I'm in love. It is so light and doesn't leave my face feeling sticky or oily at all. It took off every bit of my makeup too, including mascara and foundation. I love it. Tatcha's packaging is so beautiful with everything they do. I will continue to get this product....I just wish their items weren't so expensive. But I love everything I've tried from them so far. ESPECIALLY THE RICE POWDER FACIAL SCRUB.....YUMMY!