Essence I Love Extreme Crazy Volume

on 5/13/2015 3:50:00 PM

This is my favorite mascara. The downside is how quickly it dries out, and also how messy the brush sometimes gets. It also flakes a bit and smudges a bit. But the effect is very nice and you can make your eyelashes look dramatic with it, and I haven't found a better mascara in terms of the effect.

I just buy a new one every 2 months before it gets too dry.

on 5/8/2015 2:18:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I feel like my lashes have changed as I've gotten older so Ive been trying different mascaras lately, I can't believe I had never heard of this mascara before. I LOVE it!! I have decent eyelashes and this lengthens and adds volume and makes them look beautiful, I didn't have any flaking at all, it's seriously an amazing mascara for the price and comparable to high end mascaras, the packaging is cute too which is a plus but even if it was hideous the mascara itself is awesome. Will definitely repurchase!

on 4/23/2015 12:28:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Adds amazing volume to my eyes. Love it, like all other Essence mascaras.

on 3/16/2015 5:54:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Silver, Curly, Fine

The other reviewers for this product seem to like it a lot. Maybe I'm missing the fine art of application for this particular product, but I find it extraordinarily messy (as in ALL over my eyelids) and it flakes WHILE I'm applying it! No, No, No. The brush is loaded with the wet mascara when you remove it from the tube. Just patting the wand to get the overload off results in a massive amount of mascara being transferred to the tissue. Could not, with any mascara brush available, apply this cleanly to my eyelashes. I would not buy this again, no matter how much it cost. Just because it's cheap, doesn't mean it's a good buy. I think I'll stick with Maybelline Full and Soft. Maybelline seems to know more about mascara than Essence, at least with this particular product.

on 3/2/2015 3:15:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I have very thin, sparse Asian lashes. They're not stubby, though, and they're naturally curled.
I have been lazy to put on eyeliner lately, but this mascara makes me not missing the liner on daily basis at all. It stretches out my lashes, thickens AND separates it, thus making my lashes look like they're naturally lush and long. On me, it doesn't clump even with 3 layers.
The wand is plastic and with the usual problem of more liquidy mascara when just opened, it may get clumpy with haphazard application. It became perfect a couple weeks after opened.

It's not advertised as waterproof, but it holds up alright in humid weather, even some splatters of rain. It's, yet, easy to take off. I usually just soak my lashes with cotton round soaked with micellar water (Bioderma Sensibio H2O or, my current fave, Garnier Micellar Water) and the mascara just melts into the cotton round.

I don't dig the childish packaging, but heck, for 2-3 a pop, who am I to complain.

on 2/28/2015 4:19:00 AM

I really wanted to like this mascara, as it is cheap and seems to work well for my lashes. It gives lashes a lot of volume. I didn't need a lot of coats to look my lashes huge, one or two was always enough. The formula might be a bit too wet, but it wasn't a problem for me, but I did need to take extra care when applying.
However, a real problem for me was its staying power. I would get a lot of flakes and some black shadow under my eyes after about ~4 hours of wear, and lashes looked like I put a lot less mascara on them. It usually doesn't happen with other mascaras. A bit disappointing.

on 2/19/2015 1:18:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Neutral

First of all, I have mixed feelings about this mascara and I would have given it a 3 and a half lipsticks rating. I need to mention that I am a mascara lover, I can pretty much make any mascara work at least decently if the formula is not terribly bad. Point is, I do know my mascaras, I have decent technique and I will give an honest and in depth review as I can.
Points I would make about this:

-This is not a product you just dab on quickly and get out of the house. You need technique and patience to get the best results. The formula is really, really wet. Pair that with the large brush and the rather generous stopper and you get a big mess if you are not careful. I am very excited for the formula to dry out a bit as I think it would be much better. Don't buy this if you are a 5 minute make-up girl. If you like gazing in the mirror and carefully applying and experimenting with products and techniques, by all means, try this.

-I would not recommend this for girls who like natural, delicate looking lashes. If you like the more natural look you will not like this at all. I would recommend this for those of you who like EXTREME CRAZY VOLUME (: , like the packaging subtly suggests :lol: . Beware, the formula can clump your lashes together a bit but nothing a good technique will not solve.

- This mascara will make my lashes HUGE and I do mean HUGE really fast, without a lash curler. Like just 2-3 consecutive coats . I like Maybelline The Falsies really much and I need countless coats of that to achieve the same volume I get with this Extreme Crazy Volume in just 2-3 coats.
My natural lashes are quite average, nothing to brag about, and this makes them look HUGE . Did I stress HUGE enough ? :D

-My technique with this is as it follows: after I have wiped the bottom of the brush, I apply two consecutive coats of this, without letting it dry in between, insisting on the roots, and rolling the brush as I apply it. I find it kind of hard to really reach the roots with the huge brush but it can be done. I will wing the outer corner lashes towards my temples, the inner corner ones towards my nose and the middle ones upwards. I will apply then a little more on the outer corner lashes ( I love a cat eye look) . I will let this first coat dry a little bit ( maybe like a minute, minute and a half) and then I will put on another layer. Try to really, really work this into your lashes, rolling the brush as you apply really helps. After all coats have almost completely dried, I will separate any clumpy lashes with a sewing needle. Yes, I know about the metal lash combs but I still think a sewing needle gives me more precision.

-I am not sure about the staying power of this mascara. I hate it when mascara flakes, and I will update on that when I will know for sure.

So, would I buy this again? Absolutely yes, if I were to need a good, budget mascara. I paid 2.8 pounds for this. Rarely would I get a reasonable product at this price.

LATER EDIT:

The mascara has dried out a little bit (2 - 3 weeks after I got it) and it's so much better now. No need to use a needle to separate lashes, can be applied really fast so I revise my previous statement that you can't use this if you are a 5 minute make-up girl.
Doesn't flake either or if it does it's very very minimal ( my biggest fear with mascara)
Great product and for the price it's absolutely amazing.

on 2/18/2015 5:25:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

I confess, I have also joined the cult of Essence I Love Extreme Crazy Volume. If it wasn't for MUA, I would never buy a mascara that costs like 3 euros. But now I must admit, my lashes have never looked better. This mascara does everything - it's really black, gives amazing volume, lengthens, holds curl and lasts all day. That's my biggest surprise. I've never had a mascara that wouldn't smudge after a long day. This mascara really sticks, you will more likely get clumps than smudges. I've noticed clumps only after showering. I really appreciate that it holds both curl and my lashes in place the whole day. With other mascaras my lashes were weighted down in a matter of hours. Now it looks like I'm wearing fake lashes. I only have an issue with the brush. It's too big for me. I'm used to small regular bristle brushes. So I apply it on my lashes and then brush it out with my old and dry Artdeco Lash Designer brush. With this mascara you have nothing to lose. I would recommend it to everyone.

on 2/18/2015 7:44:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Olive, Warm

I have not written a review in years... I felt compelled to do so only because of how good this stuff works!!! I heard a lot of hype about this mascara on the boards, but did not actually give it a try until I watched a YouTube review. Even then I kind of thought she already had pretty full lashes compared to my thin lashes. I should add they are also poker straight, sparse, and I am even missing a few lashes on my left eye thanks to a chicken pox scar. I was AMAZED at how thick and full this makes my lashes appear. It really does look like false lashes. I like the brush quite a bit, as it both seems to volumize AND is small enough that I can get in the corners and outer edges. There are a few downsides in that the product does clump up a bit on the brush, and then can get a little clumpy if you try to put on too many coats. This happened the first time I applied and I quickly went in with my CG clumpcrusher brush and this helped. It also flakes by the end of the day... For this reason I can't give it a 5, but this stuff is THE best I've used for volume and fullness in my entire life. I found it at Ulta for $4.99- dirt cheap compared to the cost of the many high end mascaras I have used in the past-- most recently I tried the gift set from Sephora (Christmas 2014) that contained all their best sellers... Buxom, Too Faced, KVD, Benefit, Smashbox, UD, etc. I hated them all... and I was very unahppy with the product. I've used Dior, Shiseido, Lancome, before that, but ultimately I always came back to my favorites which were CG Lash Exact (for precision), and Clump Crusher for fullness. But this stuff makes my lashes 2-3x appear more thick than the CG ones. I just hope I can keep finding it in the store and that it doesn't get discontinued :( In the meantime i am stocking up on this stuff....

Skin: Dry, Tan, Warm

I could not believe my dumb luck when I found this mascara. HOLY GRAIL.

I purchased this from shoppers drug-mart in Canada for 4.99. I originally tried an essence mascara that I got for 2 dollars from Fred Meyer in the States. The cashier told me to 'get the pink one next time, it's amazing.' The other one I tried (the black one 'get big lashes') did not impress me at all I actually threw it out.

So, back in Canada in shoppers i see the little essence stand in the isle and i grab ' the pink one ' it was only 5 dollars so why not, i didn't have high hopes but I liked the brush so.... what's 5 dollars right??? I bought it.

I have been wearing mascara for 10 years and I have never found one that I like as much as this. It builds very quickly and the brush is so sturdy and FAB. I don't like buying expensive mascara because, hey, a gurl goes through those things quickly and they dry up and can cause infection if you keep those bad boys too long.

This mascara is amazing, I would purchase 40 of them and not have any regrets, I've recommended it to several people and they all love it as well. I am picky with mascara and I ain't straying away from this one any time soon.

Popular Mascaras

Miss Manga
Roller Lash
They're Real
2005 Reviews

Video Reviews & Tutorials

FIRST IMPRESSION REVIEW: Essence I heart EXTREME Crazy Volume Mascara | MyMakeupPerspective by MyMakeupPerspective

Top Rated Essence Products