September 16, 2014 | 2009 users online

Hair Color - L'Oreal - Feria Absolute Platinum Advanced Lightening System

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/13/2014 11:43:00 AM More reviews by TBonita

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

This is bleach... Regular ol' bleach. Don't buy it because you think it's a safe bleach alternative cause it's in a box at Kmart. It includes bleach powder and 30 volume developer. Also, what does set it apart from just buying the 2 ingredients from Sally's and using them is there's a little tube of 'color' you add. I don't know what this does; I was hoping it would tone as you bleach but no... It behaves exactly like bleach in that it puts you at that bleached yellow result. A toning conditioner is included. More on that later. I do not recommend shaking the ingredients together in the bottle like a typical boxed dye. The bottle is too small plus bleach expands. A mixing bowl is vital. Applying this was very dry and I had JUST enough to cover my pixie cut! If you have shoulder length hair I'd suggest 2 boxes; longer hair, 3. My hair was a pale pink over previously bleached hair and in 30 minutes it turned a totally toneable pale yellow. It didn't seem to be changing much the last 5 min that's why i didn't leave on for 40. Do not bleach your hair to white: it's veryyyy damaging. Get it to a pale yellow then tone. (Manic panic virgin snow, wella t18 or t14, etc.). All in all, I'd totally get this again if I were out of regular bleaching supplies and couldn't get to a Sally's. It's just more cost effective, environmentally sound, easier, etc to buy a tub of bleach and a large developer if you're a regular bleacher. The instructions say to leave roots for last; heat from your head processes bleach quicker. They also say don't use on previously colored/bleached hair... But use common sense. We've all bleached out color, bleached more than once to get to our desired shade of blonde... Just wait in between and use deep conditioners and protein treatments. You are not gona go from perm dyed black to the picture on the box in one go. I started with hendigo and in a month I got to the lady on the box. But I have very short hair that regenerates quickly. I wouldn't have tried that on long hair. And most people do not have success at bleaching out henna and indigo. I was persistent and lucky I guess. This would act like bleach does and give you some nasty orange brass the first go on dark (ESP dyed) hair.

The toning conditioner by itself is not strong enough to tone out that lovely bleach yellow color IMHO. Plus, you are supposed to WASH out bleach to stop the chemical process. I washed with shimmer lights, letting it soak for about 10 minutes, then used virgin snow manic panic for 10 hours over night. My hair came out FANTASTICALLY platinum white! I believe the conditioner has 'cones. I'll definitely use it next time I wash. It's similar to a heavier aveda blue malva.

Good luck with this, and remember above all else it is BLEACH! Nothing can lift 7 levels except bleach. I've noticed this is hard to find and not in all stores.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/1/2014 3:46:00 PM More reviews by taylortruck

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I love this hair dye, but its getting harder and harder to find. Anyway, for four years I was bleaching my hair from dark blackish brown to blond, but I really wanted white blond, not that ugly stripper yellow blond. I know toners can get rid of the yellow, but every bleach I've ever tried except this one gave me severe red and orange tones that wouldn't go away, even if I bleached my hair twice. This bleach solved all of my problems. Now, it does fry your hair, but every bleach does that. The toner that comes with this bleach actually does put a lot of life back in your hair, though. I also used a desperate toner, too, though, just because I wanted white hair, not just super platinum blond. This bleach is a little pricy, I was paying around $13 dollars for a box, after tax and such, but it actually works, so I was willing to pay that. I'm super frugal, though, so I think anything over three bucks is outrageous. I never had any real problems with smell or application. Common sense, if its bothering you, use a fan or open a window. It never burned my scalp or anything, and I always left it on for an hour or so. Overall, I love this bleach. It did what I wanted it, unlike almost every other bleach I tried from my local rite aid.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/3/2013 8:57:00 PM More reviews by blackraynebow

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Just used this to strip and lighten my hair in preparation for dying it red; I had used so much black dye in my hair that my natural hair color had darkened, my roots were many shades darker than before I started dying.

It's bleach, it does what bleach says, and as long as you follow the directions you should be fine....do NOT put it on your roots before your ends. Common sense, but even I fudged that up a bit, and I've been bleach blond before.

Smells terrible, use in a well ventilated area, but it does what it says it does for less than ten bucks, so who's complaining?

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/25/2013 4:26:00 AM More reviews by Popcornshrimp

I'm naturally dirty blonde but usually use L'Oreal preference to dye it more of a Playboy blonde color. With Superior Preference, if it's left on too short=orange, too long=purple/grayish hue for a few days with usually no middle ground which I've come to accept.

This stuff is BLEACH. I didn't know that when I purchased it, but where it's located, with the other bleach products....totally a derrrrrrp moment. Anyway, it colors (strips?) hair without leaving any weird hue or brass behind which is awesome. The conditioner is purple but not as strong as Clairol Shimmer lights or Ion's version, so if it does turn brassy---it's not going to do anything spectacular.

Just have to remember, this is bleach! If you put it on your whole head for the max amount of time, don't complain that it fried your hair...common sense.

I will definitely repurchase since this is the best drugstore brand I've found to get that bombshell blonde without having a grey hue for a few days.