L'Oreal Feria Absolute Platinum Advanced Lightening System

3.9

So this is a bleach. It will need a toner. It comes with a purple conditioner which is great for weekly upkeep, but will do nothing initially for brassiness. You will need a toner unless you are extremely lucky or like yellowish hair. End of story.

Backstory:
I've bleached and dyed my own hair since I was a teenager. My hair has been white blonde, pink, black and most colors inbetween.

After about 5 years of consistent black/dark brown I got really bored. I looked the same as my elementary school pictures. Long brownish hair with bangs. I decided I wanted a balayage blonde with my light ash brown roots (around a 6/7 ash naturally) so I color oopsed 2x and lived with the level 6/7 gingery consequences for a few weeks. I put a light ash over it and waited a bit longer.

Then, completely willing to throw my money at someone who could make my hair look like elizabeth olsen, I went to a trendy and expensive salon that advertised their redken experience and extended training and balayage abilities. She pulled red. Instead of rebleaching or asking me what I wanted since it wasn't pulling lighter she just left it and put a GOLDEN toner over it. She told me she was going to put a golden toner over it and the reds "looked good on me." I protested that I have cool coloring and wanted an ash. As I had said booking the appointment. As I said in the chair numerous times. She didn't care and did her thing.

I was orange and red and brassy all over, 300$ lighter in the bank account, and PISSED.

I went to sallys and put a toner on that and bought several tubs of bleach and developer bc I could tell undoing this was going to be a PROCESS.

I bleached probably 4x gently over the course of about 7 months. My hair always resisted. I used foils, I wrapped in celephane, I used processing caps, I used heat, I used off the scalp, on the scalp, 20 and 30 volume (I will never use 40). It just kept slowly nudging me down through various shades of orange with some nice blonde in there. My roots were an ashy creamsicle and ends dark ash blonde. It was a messy process.

And I was SICK to death of orange. So I was at target shopping with my mom and on a whim picked this box up.

Holy cow.

I used it New Years eve after a few mimosas (do. not. do this) threw some neutral protein filler in the bottle, left it on 40 minutes and the difference is AMAZING. It lifted like 3/4 levels which for my resistant and already partially blonde hair is a BIG DEAL. It actually evened out the color. It went from a dirty orange but also somehow ash and light blonde in some places to a pleasing level 10 banana peel yellow ready for my toner. I used wella t10 left it on 30 minutes (it has been established my hair is a fighter, you may have less resistant hair so if you use a toner pay attention to the processing). It isnt a balayage like I wanted but I will use this product when I have enough roots to make a balayage happen bc this product is wonderful.

My hair is a bit damaged but I have severely processed my hair over the course of the last almost year.

Edit to add: it comes with a conditioner, not shampoo

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I feel as though the people leaving negative reviews don't fully grasp what bleach will do to your hair. Unless you have virgin light blonde hair, you're going to be left with brassy tones you need to get some legit toner, not just the purple conditioner this kit comes with.

That being said, this is honestly one of the nicer bleaches I've come across. This is a 30vol bleach so it is pretty strong, and I notice my hair turning lighter pretty quickly after I apply and I'll leave it on between 20-45 minutes depending on how many levels I want to go up. The only thing that's super annoying is how little product there is. I have just below chin length hair and one box barely covers my whole head, so if you're going to be bleaching on a regular basis, or have long hair then it might be better to invest in a tub of bleach and a big bottle of developer from Sally's. Also the product is incredibly thick so you'll want to mix the ingredients by hand in a plastic bowl.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse

This is bleach. It claims to be a Platinum Blonde dye. However,this is in fact just hair lightener. So your hair will basically react the same as it would to bleach. It wont get you're hair platinum, it'll just strip out pigment and leave the underlying pigment showing through(Example:orange,yellow). Even if you have blonde hair, this will leave you with that pale yellow undertone. If you have dark hair (my experience), you'll be left with orange hair. Maybe if you do multiple processes,you'll get it to that pale yellow color. You'll still have to tone it anyways. Because this isnt a dye,its a bleach.
Also the "Toning Conditioner" it comes with is no where near pigmented enough to tone you're hair. Its more pinkish purple,while to tone you need a deep purple, or blue violet.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

I just tried to use this on my hair and it's literally orange, it didn't damage my hair at all but it is definitely not platinum at all! I'm going to try to use it one more time to lift out the platinum because it didn't damage my hair, but as of now it's orange and this product did not work at all. I left it on for an hour.

First let's start off that I have natural medium brown hair that I dyed blackish brown in November 2014. And I wanted to change it up for summer so I read a lot of reviews on this product and thought it was good.. I literally have spots of blonde/ yellow dye with a mix of orange and brown all over my head. I was reading the instruction very carefully but it turned out to be a disaster. Now I'm looking for a salon to fix my hair!!!

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

I used the one that lifts 4 levels, not the one that lifts 7 because my hair was already light blond. I have a pixie cut with almost-shaven sides and i didn't know how to proceed since you need to do the lengths first. The longer hair on top of my head already had older bleached highlights and i did not want to touch them with new bleach so i did the sides and back first, left for 20minutes and then did the roots on top for another 20 minutes. The result is a very very platinum color, but still yellow. The sides and back are slightly lighter than the rest but it's ok. I will tone with Manic panic virgin snow (see my review)

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

I used it mainly to remove the years of black hair color that I previously used. I should say that I am quite impressed!! I will def use again!!

I absolutely love this stuff! It is seriously one of the best drug store dyes out there. I have tried several bleaching packets from sallys and have not liked the results as much as using this stuff! No more salon visits for me, I am sticking with feria platinum!

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

I couldn't believe how much this lighted my bleach resistant hair! My hair is a very dark brown verging on black and it does not respond well to bleach. It normally takes two bleaching sessions to do my roots! But this got them done in 30 minutes. I could not be any happier!

Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure

I have black Asian/ Hawaiian hair naturally so i decided I wanted a change and got bleach from Sally's and 40 peroxide. Well I ran out while bleaching (always buy more than you need) luckily my friend had this box in her apartment and out of options and my hair half bleached we gave it a go. I was surprised at how many levels this was able to lift in one sitting. I'd say about 4/5. Nothing is better than good ole tub of blue bleach from ion brilliance (lifts my black roots to pale yellow in 30 min or less) but this was a fine substitute for a smaller job.