April 20, 2014 | 1511 users online

Cleansers - Boots - Botanics Hot Cloth Cleansing Balm

rated 4 of 5 on 4/4/2014 3:24:00 PM More reviews by morganevan29

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Other, Fine Eyes: Brown

I do like this product though I definitely use my wash cloth a lot more than the cloth included. I use a gentle cleanser and then do this. I know it seems silly but I mostly only use this because it makes my face feel more hydrated. It does leave a bit of a film but I always use a toner afterward anyhow so I never have an issue. And it smells fine!

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 2/11/2014 9:00:00 AM More reviews by KatWKSF

What the heck am I missing here? Like another reviewer on here, I was looking to try the Boots No. 7 warm cloth formulation, but I haven't seen it at any of my local Target stores. So I picked up this, and figured it wasn't the end of the world, because I prefer to use natural products when I can anyway. I really didn't like this: other than leaving a HEAVY film on my face that I could literally feel with my hands, it certainly did not seem to clean my face. The product is as thick as butter, but relatively translucent yellow-green. I didn't find the herb-y smell to be overpowering really at all, as long as I did not put it anywhere near my eyes. I also did not find the cloth to be overly-abrasive at all; in fact, I was thoroughly annoyed that it was as thin & pathetic as it was, because a more durable cloth was definitely needed to get anywhere even close to removing all this product. I ended up having to use one of my terrycloth washcloths to remove the product, and when I could still feel a heavy layer on my skin, I re-cleansed my skin with my St. Ives Green Tea scrub, which was probably overkill but I was freaked out about having this vegetable lard-like stuff on my skin. My skin is having a really tough time this winter: I'm normally oily with acne-prone skin, and with our constant sub-zero temps this winter, I'm now dry with acne-prone skin, which has been really difficult to manage. This morning, my skin is drier than ever, and I have a new breakout. I'm also at a loss as to how this thick goop is supposed to do anything about the skin I have that's already dry & flaking; it's certainly not going to "repair" it & it's not going to remove it either. I will continue to use my Aloette enzyme gel to dissolve dry, flaking skin, because that at least I know is getting rid of pore-clogging debris, and then follow with a good moisturizer. I would not recommend this product.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/24/2013 12:02:00 PM More reviews by TayMae89

This is my first ever hot cloth cleansing balm, so I don't have anything to compare it to. My skin is very sensitive and can break out very easily. I was going through one of my "rough patches" with my skin, it was dry, broken out, uneven, so I decided to buy this product at target one day. After maybe a week and a half my blemishes are quickly fading (redness and any marks), my skin is not nearly as dry, and my complexion is much more even. I love this stuff! It smells refreshing, and your skin feels so smooth after you use it! I use mine twice a day: after I shower in the morning, and before bed after washing my face. I do still use a night time lotion just because the winter is rough on my face, but this product has made a HUGE change, and I would recommend it to anyone looking for some relief or just an everyday facial cleansing.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/19/2013 3:01:00 PM More reviews by thriftshop

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Dear Boots,
As a die hard Anglophile, the day I saw your things here in the US at Target I wept tears of delight. My recent purchase of your Botanics Hot Cloth Balm has made me a happier, better woman. It's by far the best cleanser I've used in years. Here's why:
*I try to buy as much organic product as possible. The attractive price point (US $8) of this product helps me do exactly that.
*It smells wonderful, fresh and herb-y without being overbearing. My skin is prone to sensitivity and redness and this didn't bother it at all.
*After initial grittiness, the texture gets creamy as it warms and applying it is like finger painting on my face! Fun!
*My skin looks and feels great. Super soft and creamy. I didn't use this for a few days and was told I 'looked tired'.
The only thing I didn't like was the cloth that came with the product. It was too harsh on my face. I cut up an old, soft tee shirt into squares and use those instead.
So, Boots, my last few words are these; if you ever discontinue this, there's going to be big trouble. I hope we have many happy years together.
Your Pal,
Kristin

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/16/2013 1:52:00 PM More reviews by FusiaFever

I am new to hot cloth cleansing balms. I was persuaded into buying this product because of the high reviews on MUA, as I have been trying to find HGs for my skincare. I read some reviews comparing this cleansing balm to expensive brands like Eve Lom. In any case, I am overjoyed with the fact that this grand is 97% organic and highly AFFORDABLE.

I feel very luxurious when applying this product. I love the smell of the aromatic oils and polishing action of the steamy muslin cloth on my skin, all included. The balm includes shea butter, rosehip, and jojoba oil. It leaves my skin feeling clean and opens-closes pores in one fell swipe.

For the price of $7.21 on sale, I highly doubt that I would be able to find anything similar. And I think that I will be repurchasing this in time. It will take a while to get through the tubas you only need a little of product. The product becomes smooth and less gritty as you warm it at your fingertips.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/3/2013 10:20:00 PM More reviews by shar037

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I am a big fan of Hot Cloth cleansers and I am very happy to have stumbled upon this one.
The base is an olive oil, shea butter balm. It goes on and melts into your skin. Very luxurious.
They packed this product full of aromatics (linalool, citronelle, gernanium, Bergomot, etc) so the fragrance is powerful.
I personally love the fragrance as I find it very relaxing.
Some reviewers stated it leaving a film on the face but I have had no problem with this.
It takes off every bit of makeup and leaves me with soft, clean skin.
This stuff really does draw gunk out of your pores. I have normal skin with no blemishes. But the first time I used it, I literally saw stuff seeping out of my pores.. Yucky, but wow!
A note about the aromatic oils used in the product. Although other reviewers with sensitive skin have had no sensitivity problems, I might be careful if you do have sensitive skin. Many of the aromatic oils in this product are known to cause irritation. I gave it only 4 lippies because of this.
But for me, this product is a definite repurchase!

rated 3 of 5 on 11/2/2013 6:19:00 PM More reviews by LittleSallyRacket

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I've used many different hot cloth cleansers, and I've also used various other cream cleansers with the hot cloth method. I decided to try this one because it sounded like a good product for sensitive skin and was free of mineral oils - and the price was also attractive, especially as I got it on special offer.

However, I can't say I'm massively thrilled with it. It's not that it seems to have had an adverse effect on my skin, but I just haven't found it pleasant to use.

First of all, it has a strong smell that I find quite unpleasant. I realise this an organic, natural product, but so are most of the other cleansers I've used, and they don't smell as strange as this one. Secondly, the texture is peculiarly grainy, almost like butter that's melted, separated and re-set.

What I really don't like, though, is the way it leaves an oily film behind. It just doesn't seem to buff off nicely like a hot cloth cleanser is supposed to, so I find I'm scrubbing at my skin too hard to get rid of it all and I also feel like I must use a toner, which I generally don't need to with other cleansers. It's also hard to wash off my hands. When I do use a toner, the cotton wool pad comes away slightly dirty, which suggests that there is residue from the cleanser left on my face.

On the plus side, it's a nice gentle product and, despite its oily formula, hasn't made break-outs/sensitivity any worse (although I suspect it certainly would if I didn't use a toner with it) and it seems to remove eye make-up very nicely. It comes with its own cloth and the price is very reasonable. I can understand why other people - especially those whose skin is dry - would like this product, and I'll finish the tub, but I doubt I'd buy it again.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/20/2013 2:52:00 PM More reviews by mayaonfiya

Love this stuff. I'd been using the Boots No.7 'radiance enhancing' hot cloth cleanser for about a year, and though I liked it quite a bit I started to feel like it was leaving a film on my skin. The hot cloth method really works for me, though, so I decided to give this one a try and it's really great. It gets off every last speck of makeup, even super-longwear foundations and concealers, and leaves my skin feeling moisturized and happy. I've been using it for about a month and I'm really happy with it. And the packaging is great for travel -- a small little jar, and the cleanser itself is solid so no leaks in your bag. I don't use the muslin cloth that came with it, I use my standard terry washcloths instead. Leaving off one star since it's only the second hot cloth cleanser I've tried, so I don't have much to compare it to. Very satisfied though! Give it a shot.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/19/2013 2:50:00 PM More reviews by scareyj

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Green

I enjoy this cleanser because it's mild and it feels hydrating. This is the first hot cloth cleanser I have used, so I don't have another brand to compare it to. The ingredients seem to be mild enough for my sometimes sensitive skin and that's always a plus.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/12/2013 5:10:00 PM More reviews by paranoiaa

I've been on a lookout for a makeup remover that will remove my makeup thoroughly without breaking my skin out, and finally decided to try hot cloth cleansers as they are highly recommended by British you tubers. To be honest, I had wanted to try the boots no7 hot cloth cleanser instead of this one, but it was out of stock, so I had to opt for this instead. On hindsight it was probably a wiser choice as the ingredients in this (apparently 97% organic) seem to be much better.
Anyway, this cleanser comes in the form of a tub of waxy green balm which isn't very visually appealing or very convenient, but it does the job. I typically scrape a bit out of the tub every night and rub it all over my face, and it turns into a more liquidy texture from the heat as it removes the makeup from my face. Then, I would run the muslin cloth under hot water, hold the cloth over my face to kind of steam it a little, and then wipe the balm off. My skin always feels much cleaner as compared to simply using micellar waters or cleansing milk, but I do clean a second time with cetaphil just to be sure.
So far, my skin has seemed to respond pretty well to this product. The only issue I have with it is that the muslin cloth can feel a little rough, so I don't use it over the eye area (I either use cotton pads or other makeup removal methods to clean off my eye makeup). Otherwise, it is a great product for the price, and if I don't get too curious (and venture into other hot cloth cleansing products), I'll repurchase for sure.