Boots Botanics Hot Cloth Cleansing Balm

Olive fruit oil*, Jojoba seed oil*, Beeswax*, Shea butter*, Sweet almond oil*, Cetearyl alcohol, Rosa canina seed oil*, Limonene, Citronellol, Pelargonium graveolens flower oil, Citrus aurantium dulcis peel extract*, Linalool, Bergamot fruit oil, Lemon peel oil, Geraniol, Fragrance, Citral

on 7/9/2015 11:57:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

Oh my goodness so I've been on a skin care kick lately and I was looking at the boots products at Target. When I saw the good reviews on this and the cheap price of 8.99 I had to pick it up. This has been one of my best impulse buys!! This is a solid looking balm but once you rub it into the skin it turns into an oil. I know to oily skinned folks like me this sounds scary but over time using this product has cleared up my skin and let me tell you why. This balm removes every last bit of my face and eye makeup as I rub it in even my most long wearing makeup slids away. This over time has completely unclogged my pores and deep cleans my skin. How I use it: I rub a nickel sized amount of balm all over my face. I massage it in for 2-3 mins. (this my favorite part of my whole skincare routine, massaging your skin with this balm feels really pampering) I then wet the cloth with warm water and gently wipe the balm and residue makeup off my face. Afterwards I hop in the shower and wash my face with a gentle cleanser so I have no oily residue left. Note: I only wear makeup 3-4 times a week. I only use this product when I wore makeup. Overall this is the absolute best makeup remover I have used. My skin feels so soft and clean every time I use it. I love the natural nourishing ingredients and I would recommend this for all skin types!!

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brown, Straight, Other

I actually brought this a long time ago and tried it out didn't like it, felt it left a film on my skin well due to a change in climate my combo dry skin has become very dry especially around my chin and forehead, so I saw this in my cabinet and decided to try it out again but I used a facial terry cloth towel instead, so I did and I really like it, if your looking for a squeaky clean feeling with this cleanser your not going to get it, it works well and I follow with the shea moisture african soap toner and my usual night regimen this with the toner and la mer cream has calmed my skin down, so far I like it just not with the muslin cloth it came it not as effective as my terry cloth wash cloth

on 1/31/2015 6:35:00 PM

First, this cleanser should be removed with a lukewarm or warm cloth, never hot. Hot water is not good for your skin. The cloth it comes with is too small and too scratchy, so I use my Eve Lom muslin cloths to remove it. I am actually afraid to continue using it due to the strong fragrance. The fragrance isn't necessarily unpleasant, it is just very potent, and my skin is sensitive. It is a shame, because the cleanser has a nice pleasant texture and leaves my skin soft.

on 1/20/2015 11:59:00 PM

So I bought this because Lisa Eldridge highly recommend it on her website and she has acne prone skin like mine. I have used this for three nights now and so far I like it. I have acne prone, sensitive, combo skin so it is very difficult to find products that work for me. It is a little difficult to remove so I use this in the shower, let the steam work it in my skin while I massage it on my face then wipe with a wash cloth. It does leave a film on skin.....I haven't decided if I like this or not. I feels nice enough to not use a night cream over it. I have noticed that the few blackheads on my nose and chin came up and out after using this and a few pimples I had under the skin, it brought to a head.

on 12/20/2014 7:13:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Cool

Hair: Black, Other, Medium

I'm really on the fence about this one. I've tried cream bases cleansers before bit this is a balm and feels like I'm massaging butter all over my face. It's mainly olive oil so it's super greasy/oily. I think the key is finding the right technique, I massage into dry skin then steam with a hot cloth and wipe off face repeatedly with the cloth, and because even after wiping it off it is still super oily, I cleanse w my regular cleanser and clarisonic which balances the oiliness yet still makes my skin feel moist. I don't think it breaks me out but first time I used it it did cause the under the surface pimples to surface

on 11/18/2014 12:00:00 PM

Dissolves all my makeup and it is super easy to remove. The muslin cloth is also great, not too harsh but does the job.

on 8/13/2014 1:34:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Picked this up after seeing Lisa Eldrige recommend it. I had also never heard of cleansing balms before and wanted to try it. I have acne prone skin and probably wouldn't think to pick this up, but Lisa also has acne prone skin and she said she did a cleansing balm about two times a week. It mostly sounded like a nice way to massage the face and encourage lymph movement and capillary stimulation. All of which do some nice things.

So I saw this at my local Target and decided to treat myself since it was under $10.00. I used it like the box recommended and removed my makeup and then applied the balm. I massaged the balm for about 5-10 minutes and then applied the hot cloth and let it sit on my face for about 5 minutes. I took this time to lay down and relax. That is probably the nicest part of the whole experience. While I was laying down I did a big more massaging through the cloth, but I did more pressing than swirling movements. Then I scrub the balm off with the cloth and clean the cloth with cold water and then lay that over my face. I sometimes lay down for this, sometimes not.

I have also tried this to remove makeup first and it does a good job. I use the first application to remove makeup. So I skip the muslin cloth steam bit first and just wipe the balm away with another cloth or rag. Then I apply more balm and do the full massage, hot cloth, cold cloth regime. No matter what way I go about removing the makeup I always soak the muslin cloth in a bath of hot water and Dawn dish soap. This seems to clean the cloth very nicely between uses.

I have heard people say they don't like the cloth that comes with the balm, but I haven't had a problem I think it is nice and will use it.

I have had no adverse reactions or acne flare ups due to this. Sometimes I remove the film of balm that is left behind and sometimes I don't. It just depends on what I feel like. If I want to check if my face is clean I just swipe some rosewater across my face with a cottonball. So far I haven't had any residue.

The smell doesn't bother me, but it does have a sort of natural-product sent. Nothing burns and it doesn't irritate my eyes. The only minor problems I have had is that it can make one's vision blurry if it gets in the eyes, but all ointment/cream cleansers do this to me, and it makes hair super greasy if you aren't careful around your hair line. I solve the blurry eyes by using a bit of oil-free eyemakeup remover and the greasy hair issue by tying my hair up really well.

Overall I enjoy this. I think it does make skin look softer and plumper. I feel like I look fresher after this routine and I will continue to use this product in the future. If you want to look up facial massage techniques I would look up the Eve Lom technique. It is more of a pressing massage, but I think it is a nice to do once you have the steam cloth over your face. Prior to that I tend to just do a circular/swirling massage starting from the top of my head down my neck. I think anything will work as long as you focus on where your facial lymph nodes are and if you massage from the top of your head towards you heart. That should stimulate all the right places.

Good luck! :)

on 7/19/2014 9:23:00 PM

As a new fan of cleansing oils and balms, I found using the product to be a very pleasant experience. The texture is light and creamy. it emulsifies quickly in the hands, it spreads easily and is easy to remove with a hot washcloth. I prefer a balm pre-cleanser/make up remover that has the ability to be washed completely off with no residue because my skin is so sensitive.

It's got nourishing ingredients in it like rosehips and ...(full list of ingredients here)
Olea europaea (Olive) fruit oil, Simmondsia chinensis (Jojoba) seed oil, Cera alba (Beeswax), Butyrospermum parkii (Shea) butter, Prunus amygdalus dulcis (Sweet almond) oil, Cetearyl alcohol, Rosa canina seed oil, Limonene, Citronellol, Pelargonium graveolens flower oil, Citrus aurantium dulcis peel extract, Linalool, Citrus aurantium bergamia (Bergamot) fruit oil, Citrus medica limonum (Lemon) peel oil, Geraniol, Parfum (Fragrance), Citral

I do use the hot cloth method and then cleanse with a regular cleanser. This cleans all the makeup out of my pores, makes the skin soft and smooth and gets all makeup off - even my mascara which is not waterproof. I cannot vouch for waterproof makeup with this product. At $9.00 US it is densely packed, smells fresh and clean and a little goes a long way. Winner!

on 7/3/2014 11:10:00 PM

I have gone through many jars of this stuff. I switch between Shu oil cleanser and this. I also bought Eve Lom. This Boots Botanical is better than Lom. I think that US has been taught to do the 3 step process, wash in harsh soap, tone, and moisturize. This is totally a 1 step process that does it all. People seem to have a problem with the moisturizing residue left on the skin. I find that this cleanser is a 3 in 1 solution. It cleanses and removes make-up, exception tough mascara, and then it exfoliates and tones and even drains lymphatic puffiness with massage and a little more water, and then when it is wiped clean it leaves the nicest moisturizing film of essential oils that nourish the skin. Why we think we need to strip that off and have a "stripped clean face" is old marketing dogma. This is the way to perfect skin. When I wake up I spritz with a little of the boots botanical rose water and wipe away the residue, shower and then I use CeraVe sunscreen and a little makeup. That is my skin care routine. I don't have wrinkles and I hope to keep it that way with Boots!

on 6/22/2014 4:49:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

I might be the oddball out here because I do not feel like this cleansing balm leaves a heavy, thick, greasy film on my face. I'm not a spring chicken, the older I get, the dryer my cheeks get and the oilier my tzone gets, yay hormones !!! I used a small amount on makeup free skin, just gave it all a good rub, ran my cloth under water that was a little more than warm, slapped that baby on my face and let it sit there until the cloth was no longer warm. I did that twice actually. I then used the warm towel to basically scrub my face, did that twice. I proceeded to run the cloth in very cold water and I let that sit on my face a couple of minutes while patting it in place. I did see dirty - yuck - on the cloth so yes, it worked. What's more, I ran a Color Run yesterday and had some blue stuff left on my cheeks and this took that off.

3 hours later and I do not feel any type of greasiness on my face, in fact, it feels quite moisturized which I am LOVING. So far, this is working great. I may come back and edit this if it breaks me out, but I am very hopeful that it doesn't. Call me crazy but I'm just not ready to shell out almost $100 for the Colleen Rothschild !