July 25, 2014 | 1005 users online

Cleansers - Boots - Botanics Hot Cloth Cleansing Balm

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/19/2014 9:23:00 PM More reviews by Quilley

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

As a new fan of cleansing oils and balms, I found using the product to be a very pleasant experience. The texture is light and creamy. it emulsifies quickly in the hands, it spreads easily and is easy to remove with a hot washcloth. I prefer a balm pre-cleanser/make up remover that has the ability to be washed completely off with no residue because my skin is so sensitive.

It's got nourishing ingredients in it like rosehips and ...(full list of ingredients here)
Olea europaea (Olive) fruit oil, Simmondsia chinensis (Jojoba) seed oil, Cera alba (Beeswax), Butyrospermum parkii (Shea) butter, Prunus amygdalus dulcis (Sweet almond) oil, Cetearyl alcohol, Rosa canina seed oil, Limonene, Citronellol, Pelargonium graveolens flower oil, Citrus aurantium dulcis peel extract, Linalool, Citrus aurantium bergamia (Bergamot) fruit oil, Citrus medica limonum (Lemon) peel oil, Geraniol, Parfum (Fragrance), Citral

I do use the hot cloth method and then cleanse with a regular cleanser. This cleans all the makeup out of my pores, makes the skin soft and smooth and gets all makeup off - even my mascara which is not waterproof. I cannot vouch for waterproof makeup with this product. At $9.00 US it is densely packed, smells fresh and clean and a little goes a long way. Winner!

rated 5 of 5 on 7/3/2014 11:10:00 PM More reviews by PenelopeP

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I have gone through many jars of this stuff. I switch between Shu oil cleanser and this. I also bought Eve Lom. This Boots Botanical is better than Lom. I think that US has been taught to do the 3 step process, wash in harsh soap, tone, and moisturize. This is totally a 1 step process that does it all. People seem to have a problem with the moisturizing residue left on the skin. I find that this cleanser is a 3 in 1 solution. It cleanses and removes make-up, exception tough mascara, and then it exfoliates and tones and even drains lymphatic puffiness with massage and a little more water, and then when it is wiped clean it leaves the nicest moisturizing film of essential oils that nourish the skin. Why we think we need to strip that off and have a "stripped clean face" is old marketing dogma. This is the way to perfect skin. When I wake up I spritz with a little of the boots botanical rose water and wipe away the residue, shower and then I use CeraVe sunscreen and a little makeup. That is my skin care routine. I don't have wrinkles and I hope to keep it that way with Boots!

rated 4 of 5 on 6/22/2014 4:49:00 PM More reviews by pittiemom2

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I might be the oddball out here because I do not feel like this cleansing balm leaves a heavy, thick, greasy film on my face. I'm not a spring chicken, the older I get, the dryer my cheeks get and the oilier my tzone gets, yay hormones !!! I used a small amount on makeup free skin, just gave it all a good rub, ran my cloth under water that was a little more than warm, slapped that baby on my face and let it sit there until the cloth was no longer warm. I did that twice actually. I then used the warm towel to basically scrub my face, did that twice. I proceeded to run the cloth in very cold water and I let that sit on my face a couple of minutes while patting it in place. I did see dirty - yuck - on the cloth so yes, it worked. What's more, I ran a Color Run yesterday and had some blue stuff left on my cheeks and this took that off.

3 hours later and I do not feel any type of greasiness on my face, in fact, it feels quite moisturized which I am LOVING. So far, this is working great. I may come back and edit this if it breaks me out, but I am very hopeful that it doesn't. Call me crazy but I'm just not ready to shell out almost $100 for the Colleen Rothschild !

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 6/20/2014 6:10:00 AM More reviews by blondefornow

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium Eyes: Green

I am a die hard fan of Clinique's "Take the Day Off" cleansing balm. I like The Body Shop's Chamomile Cleansing balm as well. I purchased this online in a quest to test different cleansing balms and because the military exchange where I purchase my normal products was out of TTDO. The jar packaging is fine. The scent of the product is "organic", although I prefer unscented cleansers. My gripe is that the product does NOT clean!! I use water "resistant" mascara which my two above mentioned balms remove with just a few swirls of my fingers over my lashes. This stuff? YIKES! I rubbed. And rubbed. And rubbed some more...to no avail (although it speaks to the lasting power of my Cover Girl Clump Crusher!!) Eventually, I took my washcloth (the provided muslim cloth is too small and too...I don't know, I prefer my big washcloths) and rubbed the heck out of my eyes and finally got off my mascara. My face was another issue. Now I have dry skin, but I do not want my face to feel as though it was coated in vaseline. I don't know exactly what is in this stuff. I serums, balms, thick moisturizers and oils, but this? Gross! I felt as though my skin was suffocating. Again, I had to aggressively scrub to remove the last traces of this balm. It is counterproductive to how I normally treat my skin, but I NEEDED this feeling of being coated gone!! I have used this for three nights. In the morning, I wake up with gunky, filmy eyes because of the amount of product getting in to them at night. I haven't had any breakouts although I use Paula's choice cleansers on my Clarisonic after my balm cleansing as well. I am driving to my PX everyday to see if my clinique cleanser is in yet. I will use this until it comes in, then it's going into the trash. If i lived in Antarctica, had never heard of other cleansing balms and didn't wear eye makeup, this could be fine. For me, a dry skinned 47 year old year old living in Germany, this is a no-go.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/4/2014 3:24:00 PM More reviews by morganevan29

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Other, Fine Eyes: Brown

I do like this product though I definitely use my wash cloth a lot more than the cloth included. I use a gentle cleanser and then do this. I know it seems silly but I mostly only use this because it makes my face feel more hydrated. It does leave a bit of a film but I always use a toner afterward anyhow so I never have an issue. And it smells fine!

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 2/11/2014 9:00:00 AM More reviews by KatWKSF

What the heck am I missing here? Like another reviewer on here, I was looking to try the Boots No. 7 warm cloth formulation, but I haven't seen it at any of my local Target stores. So I picked up this, and figured it wasn't the end of the world, because I prefer to use natural products when I can anyway. I really didn't like this: other than leaving a HEAVY film on my face that I could literally feel with my hands, it certainly did not seem to clean my face. The product is as thick as butter, but relatively translucent yellow-green. I didn't find the herb-y smell to be overpowering really at all, as long as I did not put it anywhere near my eyes. I also did not find the cloth to be overly-abrasive at all; in fact, I was thoroughly annoyed that it was as thin & pathetic as it was, because a more durable cloth was definitely needed to get anywhere even close to removing all this product. I ended up having to use one of my terrycloth washcloths to remove the product, and when I could still feel a heavy layer on my skin, I re-cleansed my skin with my St. Ives Green Tea scrub, which was probably overkill but I was freaked out about having this vegetable lard-like stuff on my skin. My skin is having a really tough time this winter: I'm normally oily with acne-prone skin, and with our constant sub-zero temps this winter, I'm now dry with acne-prone skin, which has been really difficult to manage. This morning, my skin is drier than ever, and I have a new breakout. I'm also at a loss as to how this thick goop is supposed to do anything about the skin I have that's already dry & flaking; it's certainly not going to "repair" it & it's not going to remove it either. I will continue to use my Aloette enzyme gel to dissolve dry, flaking skin, because that at least I know is getting rid of pore-clogging debris, and then follow with a good moisturizer. I would not recommend this product.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/24/2013 12:02:00 PM More reviews by TayMae89

This is my first ever hot cloth cleansing balm, so I don't have anything to compare it to. My skin is very sensitive and can break out very easily. I was going through one of my "rough patches" with my skin, it was dry, broken out, uneven, so I decided to buy this product at target one day. After maybe a week and a half my blemishes are quickly fading (redness and any marks), my skin is not nearly as dry, and my complexion is much more even. I love this stuff! It smells refreshing, and your skin feels so smooth after you use it! I use mine twice a day: after I shower in the morning, and before bed after washing my face. I do still use a night time lotion just because the winter is rough on my face, but this product has made a HUGE change, and I would recommend it to anyone looking for some relief or just an everyday facial cleansing.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/19/2013 3:01:00 PM More reviews by thriftshop

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Dear Boots,
As a die hard Anglophile, the day I saw your things here in the US at Target I wept tears of delight. My recent purchase of your Botanics Hot Cloth Balm has made me a happier, better woman. It's by far the best cleanser I've used in years. Here's why:
*I try to buy as much organic product as possible. The attractive price point (US $8) of this product helps me do exactly that.
*It smells wonderful, fresh and herb-y without being overbearing. My skin is prone to sensitivity and redness and this didn't bother it at all.
*After initial grittiness, the texture gets creamy as it warms and applying it is like finger painting on my face! Fun!
*My skin looks and feels great. Super soft and creamy. I didn't use this for a few days and was told I 'looked tired'.
The only thing I didn't like was the cloth that came with the product. It was too harsh on my face. I cut up an old, soft tee shirt into squares and use those instead.
So, Boots, my last few words are these; if you ever discontinue this, there's going to be big trouble. I hope we have many happy years together.
Your Pal,
Kristin

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/16/2013 1:52:00 PM More reviews by FusiaFever

I am new to hot cloth cleansing balms. I was persuaded into buying this product because of the high reviews on MUA, as I have been trying to find HGs for my skincare. I read some reviews comparing this cleansing balm to expensive brands like Eve Lom. In any case, I am overjoyed with the fact that this grand is 97% organic and highly AFFORDABLE.

I feel very luxurious when applying this product. I love the smell of the aromatic oils and polishing action of the steamy muslin cloth on my skin, all included. The balm includes shea butter, rosehip, and jojoba oil. It leaves my skin feeling clean and opens-closes pores in one fell swipe.

For the price of $7.21 on sale, I highly doubt that I would be able to find anything similar. And I think that I will be repurchasing this in time. It will take a while to get through the tubas you only need a little of product. The product becomes smooth and less gritty as you warm it at your fingertips.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/3/2013 10:20:00 PM More reviews by shar037

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I am a big fan of Hot Cloth cleansers and I am very happy to have stumbled upon this one.
The base is an olive oil, shea butter balm. It goes on and melts into your skin. Very luxurious.
They packed this product full of aromatics (linalool, citronelle, gernanium, Bergomot, etc) so the fragrance is powerful.
I personally love the fragrance as I find it very relaxing.
Some reviewers stated it leaving a film on the face but I have had no problem with this.
It takes off every bit of makeup and leaves me with soft, clean skin.
This stuff really does draw gunk out of your pores. I have normal skin with no blemishes. But the first time I used it, I literally saw stuff seeping out of my pores.. Yucky, but wow!
A note about the aromatic oils used in the product. Although other reviewers with sensitive skin have had no sensitivity problems, I might be careful if you do have sensitive skin. Many of the aromatic oils in this product are known to cause irritation. I gave it only 4 lippies because of this.
But for me, this product is a definite repurchase!