December 17, 2014 | 1716 users online

Palettes - Kat Von D - Ladybird True Romance Eyeshadow Palette

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/29/2014 11:41:00 AM More reviews by Nancygia

I believe this was my first all matte palette, and I also believe it had been discontinued for a while, but is now back at Sephora, in limited edition, but at an increased price (from $36 to $49), and with 2 additional eyeliners. In my opinion, it is still worth purchasing. The colors are all richly pigmented and don't have a lot of fallout, and it is so easy to create a beautiful look. I love all of the shadows except for the two that aren't neutrals-- Fur Elise (purple-ish burgundy) and Siouxsie-Sioux (gray black).

rated 5 of 5 on 7/26/2014 9:47:00 PM More reviews by FeralFairy

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

This is my very first product from Kat Von Ds line and I think it is pretty amazing. The packaging for one is really gorgeous and the colours are perfect for me. I bought it mainly for the burnt orange & plummy colour & in my opinion they are both pretty perfect. Muted and perfect.The mattes are nice and creamy the only one little annoyance is more "dust" or "fall out" than I would expect happens when using some of the colours. I also like the dark brown eyeliner it comes with it works well with all the eyeshadows. I love mixing the basic browns/blacks with either the burnt orange or the plummy colour for a really smokey interesting almost mysterious eye

rated 4 of 5 on 4/28/2014 3:16:00 PM More reviews by KittehG

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I am absolutely in LOVE with this palette! I went to Sephora wanting to purchase something else, and once I looked at this I couldn't help myself! Beautiful matte colors! The eyeshadow blends well and lasts for hours!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/27/2014 10:27:00 PM More reviews by storybookheroine

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

It's really nice to find an all matte palette. Sure I love shimmers and glitters and all that but it's great to be able to do matte looks and can be hard to find a nice set of colors. As of the moment, as far as larger shadow palettes go, Ladybird can't be beat. So many looks and variations to be had and I like how she mixes up warms and cools so this palette has shades that will work for everyone. I like warmer shades but even the traditionally cooler shades like blue and purple are wearable in this palette. Ladybird offers everything from neutral to smokey, day to night and I do like the eye liner and overall packaging. Actually it has been a long time since I had opened something at this price point and originality. The artwork is pretty cool on the palette as well as the box. Has a good mirror in the compact, I find this a must usually in a palette. Good selection of basics here, many neutrals. This will certainly make you look twice at this brand. She makes colors I'd normally pass on, like the purple and blue, quite wearable. Great palette, good quality brand. If you are looks for more of a mix of finishes I would look to the Monarch which is absolutely brilliant in its execution (this is the warm version, there is a cooler version called Chrysalis which I have not tried but Monarch is gorgeous and the base/mixing shades are very large pans so you don't use them all up before the darker shades).

rated 5 of 5 on 4/27/2014 2:39:00 PM More reviews by sandnigga

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I haven't used the eyeliner because I still have a lot of other browns that I need to go through but it's a pretty color. Any who this review will mainly surround the actual eyeshadows instead :p

This purchase was the result of me wanting to incorporate more matte eyeshadows into my collection because I own a lot of Urban Decay palettes that are straight up shimmer/glitter disasters. I considered Urban Decay's Naked Basics but the colors resembled a lot that I already owned and I wanted to buy from another brand. I had been eyeballing this palette for a long time so I decided to get this as a birthday present to myself a couple months back to satisfy the desires for more mattes.

I really love this palette. I'm more of a neutralish olive complexion and all of the colors look good on me. They're all truly matte eyeshadows when applied and the compact it comes in could easily fit in my purse with no problems if I wanted to bring it on a trip or something. The packaging is really sturdy and I think the design on it is pretty nifty, it doesn't really remind me of Ed Hardy because those designs just looked tacky whereas this has more of an artistic feel to it. The eyeshadows are really creamy but when you pick up some product with a brush, it can get powdery which gives off the impression that it isn't a good product but once you actually apply it the shadows are smooth like butter. I like to incorporate these colors with the ones in my Naked 1 or 2 palettes since lately I haven't been into really shimmery looks. Off of the top of my head, I can't recall if I necessarily had any fallout with this but you MIGHT with the darker colors as a rule of thumb.

If you want an everyday friendly eyeshadow palette, I can't recommend this enough. You can use the colors to also create a smokey eye if you wanted to. The colors in this are definitely great to wear during the fall but I like using this year-round.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/27/2014 1:28:00 PM More reviews by LovelyThistle

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium Eyes: Green

This is a great addition to the small number of all matte palettes that are available. This one is unique in that it is not all various shades of "beige/brown". Yes there are plenty of brownish shades but there is a nice orange shade, a charcoal that is slightly blue/gray and a very nice deep plum. These add punch to the beige/brown tones of the rest. The one kind of complaint I have is that for us fair skinned ladies none of the shades are truly light enough to be a browbone highlighter. The lightest shades still read with way to dark a color for me to us on the browbone.

I have used these dry and wet (more intensity) and they wear very well even without a primer. The brown eyeliner that comes with the palette is not my favorite. I would have preferred black but it wears well and can be used as a base to deepen some of the shadows.

All in all this is a great palatte for those looking for matte shadows.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/9/2014 8:20:00 PM More reviews by Mellymoomar

I was in the market for a really good matte palette, as I realised that percentage wise the majority of my collection is shimmers, purely because I think they are more readily available and easy to come by. I think the only matte palettes I have owned would be the Naked Basics, which is a fantastic matte palette but its only six shadows five of which are matte, and the Lorac Pro which is eight mattes and eight shimmers.
I had heard the Ladybird palette being raved on about online but I've held back quite a while from getting it purely because I've never owned anything by Kat Von D so I don't like to spend the money on a brand I'm unsure of. However, it was recently my birthday and this was one of my presents so I've got it now whether I like it or not! (Its a good job I LOVE it)
Anyway, onto the palette itself, you get eight gorgeous neutral matte shades, as well as a Kat Von D autograph pencil in the shade 'Immortal Love', which is like a deep, chocolate brown when swatched but if applied to the waterline it looks a lot lighter, a little bit of a hint of red in there, its truly beautiful. The eight shades contained in the palette are:
. Fur Elise: This is a deep purple shade, definitely cool shade and I felt it worked really well if you're looking for a shade that works well in the crease or the outer v for intensity
. Vespertine: This is a light peach shade, almost the same shade as skin, and it makes for a great transition colour if you want deeper colours to be blended more easily, or as a highlight to the brow bone if you don't mind matte shades there
. Renholder: This is a warm taupey brown shade with a grey undertone in there, perfect if you want to do a neutral eye look with very good colour payoff as well
. Siouxsie-sioux: This is the only shade in the palette that I'd say isn't a true matte in this palette, as you can see in the pan it has the very most faint hint of a shimmer. It is a greyish black that I would say has a bit of navy in there, its a really nice alternative to the matte black that is often included in palettes I feel, as there is only so much you can do with black when you're very fair like me!
. Unrequited: This is like a darker version of Vespertine, still a peach shade with a little bit of an orange undertone which is what makes it a little darker than Vespertine, it has a very easy buttery application which makes it a another good transition/crease colour
. Harlow: This a warm light brown shade, a little bit like Renholder but darker so its good for the crease or to blend out or the outer v
. Wolf: Easily one of my favourite shades in the palette as I own nothing similar to it, it is a dark warm brown shade with a red hue in there. Its a gorgeous outer v shade and adds a little something different to a brown smokey eye.
. Cleopatra: Again a beautifully unique shade, its like a coppery red brick colour with orange in there too, truly great for doing the warm copper looks that are going to be very 'in' for spring

The reason behind why I wouldn't score this full marks is not because I don't think this is an exceptional matte palette, because it is and I can't take that away from it. However, even though all of the shades are of exceptional quality, have amazing staying power and have that buttery texture that I've come to love from brands like MAC, the blendability is definitely questionable. Like with all eyeshadow looks, you start of lightly and build the colour up, however this one you have to start off extra light and really spend quite some time blending and buffing to the point where it actually becomes pretty tedious rather than a pleasure to do. If I tried to apply it like I would a shimmer shade or a shadow from the Naked Basics it would look choppy, chunky and just overall not good. You need some really good dome shaped fluffy blending brushes if you are planning to work with this palette.
With that being said, I would completely still repurchase this palette when I hit pan on the shades. You can get use out of every single shade of the palette which I love, because one thing I hate about buying palettes is that you can get shades you either can't use everyday or just don't suit you. If you're in the market for a matte palette this one is definitely a safe bet, I recommend it to all matte lovers out there.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/6/2014 4:24:00 PM More reviews by DoraZ

I have been eyeing this palette for quite awhile and finally had the $$ to purchase it. As far as texture and wear go, this is an excellent palette. I have quite a few of the Kat Von D palettes and the consistency of the matte shadows in this is actually pretty creamy. Compared to her other palettes, the mattes here are much better than the darker brown and black matte colors in the other palettes and far less likely to create "fall-out" underneath my eyes. On top of my Milani eye primer I'm not experiencing any creasing, these are lasting all day long.

Now the slightly down side and why this is only getting 4 lippies from me instead of 5. I was excited to get a palette with a plummy purple and burnt orange color combination and was really hoping for that orange to "pop" on my eye and look fab together with the purple. Unfortunately, I'm more than a little underwhelmed by these colors when applied to the eye. Don't get me wrong, they look great, but just a lot more muted on me than they do in the palette and the bold burnt orange just isn't as pigmented as I'd like. I will have to play with some different application techniques, maybe that will help and muted is good especially for work, I just was hoping for something a little more dramatic.

Overall I'm pretty happy with this palette, the packaging is GORGEOUS and you get an eyeliner pencil in it too which is a nice bonus. I have got a few compliments from my husband which is unusal, so that's always a plus!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/1/2014 8:18:00 AM More reviews by istuart

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I can't say enough about this palette! I was drawn to it for the "all matte", neutral color range and was especially drawn by the warm orangey shade and the darker rusty red brown colors in the palette. I have brown eyes and those two warm colors are extremely flattering to my eye color/shape. The palette really does not disappoint and if truth be told, I look forward to trying new combos everyday (I have the palette for just under a month). Use a light hand when dipping your brush in the eyeshadow because a little shadow goes a long way! The shadows are very pigmented and although they kick up a little dust in the palette, they go on creamy and blend easily. I use an eye primer on my lid and the shadows seriously last for a good 10-12 hours. The palette comes with a brown pencil liner that doesn't tug the eye, can be smudged but lasts long and does not get messy on my oily lids.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/3/2014 9:57:00 PM More reviews by cwabby

I bought this palette after seeing the gorgeous orangey brown called cleopatra in it. First time trying out KvD eyeshadows and wasn't dissapointed. The quality is like a mix between stila and tarte. The shadows feel like a soft clay. They aren't powdery but are really pigmented. I own way too many matte eyeshadows and in comparison, these shadows don't feel chalky like some mattes can.

Now on to the actual shades - I love that the palette contains lots of darker bases and midtones. A lot of the time it feels like eyeshadow palettes are targeted towards lighter skins and barely even show up on my nc42 skin. Not this one - there is such a great range of colours and they are so well pigmented that they show up very nicely.

The packaging feels quite sturdy and compact. There isn't much wasted space so is perfect for travel. I would rate this palette and my lorac pro as having best packaging.

One thing I noticed is that the shades from this are very similar to Stila's in the Know palette minus the purple shade. I own both and have swatched them side by side. They are VERY alike and if you own one, you definitely don't need the other.