Marilyn Miglin Pheromone

2.9

on 7/18/2015 8:37:00 PM

I may not always be able to carry off Pheromone (it is a complex, commanding, and dressy fragrance), but I do wear it regularly and it will always have my heart. As a kid in the late '70s-early '80s, "perfume," to me, meant Pheromone. My gorgeous and elegant aunt, who worked for a fashion magazine and was often seen in flowing pantsuits, stiletto boots, and huge tribal jewelry, wafted Pheromone wherever she went thanks to her bottle of pearlescent scented lotion. It was earthy and tantalizing, green and gorgeous.

My mom and grandmother wore it, too, and I would sneak dabs from their little bottles of "Sacred Oil" (now called Bath & Body Oil). I may have owned and enjoyed my little spray canisters of Love's Baby Soft and Rain Scent-- which were more appropriate for my age-- but I associated Pheromone with womanhood and sophistication. To me, it was one with the tinkling of gold bangles and the clicking of expensive high heels.

Pheromone is one mother of a '70s green-floral chypre. To my nose it is the best of the bunch. I prefer the Eau de Toilette to the other products, as it's a bit lighter and fresher (and can even be work-friendly if lightly sprayed).

Pheromone's formula, while deliciously herbal and spicy, does have a touch of "poopy" Jasmine in the composition-- which, I've noticed, is rather unavoidable in classic chypres. Usually that's a deal-breaker for me, but somehow in Pheromone it just works. Kind of like Freddie Mercury's four extra teeth just worked for his entire look. The EDT strength keeps the Jasmine to a minimum and I highly recommend it if you can't handle the EDP.

on 11/19/2014 12:18:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Curly, Medium

This is wonderful! I have really fallen in love with Marilyn's products! Quality all the way! This is very heady and powerful yes, but use a light hand and you will find a delicious concoction awaiting you. Love it!

on 10/6/2014 1:40:00 PM

I love Pheromone ! To me this is a great classic fragrance in the green floral -oriental style with a lot in common with Estee Lauder's Private Collection - the original .I would go so far as to say that Pheromone today, is actually better than the reformulated Lauder fragrance.
It go on fresh,green and spice with an intriguing and interesting green floral -soapy middle and then on to a spicy smooth oriental amber finish. it is a very well made, well blended fragrance . The bottle I have is the EDP from HSN and I am completely happy with it.
Longevity is very good .
This is a very underrated fragrance .5 stars in my book . I can only imagine how wonderful the extrait must be and I may just have to get some .

on 6/27/2014 5:11:00 PM

I got mine from HSN. I read below that this stuff is different from what you get on the MM site. Don't know. I smell my wrist and get Tabu Light. Not horrible. Not great. Mid notes are soapy.This is not sweet. It could also be a masculine.

on 10/30/2013 1:04:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

i get the love it or hate it. its a strong fragrance and that will be controversial. i like it applied VERY lightly.... it grows on the skin with your body heat all on its own, lasts forever. id say dont apply it like other perfumes at all.... pick ONE distant spot.... small of back maybe, base of neckbeneath your hair if bolder. one drop. its sexy,no doubt. however, it usually gives me quite a headache, i am pretty sure its not coincidence. i will still use it occassionally, now that cold weather is here, and see how it works out this season...itll last forever, but id not get more just due to its potency seems too much for me.

on 10/30/2013 12:40:00 AM

Every time I read reviews of Pheromone I am amused by the love-hate. Truth is, it either works with your body chemistry or it doesn't. It is my HG, and has been since I found my first bottle at NM in the '70's. It is a complex scent, on me an oriental floral, without fruit or citrus. It is decidedly sexy, and men love it. Interestingly, women also stop me to ask what I am wearing.

To help identify whether it could work on you, many of the popular perfumes turn acrid or overly sweet on me. On the other hand, I find that I can wear almost all of the MM scents, as well as many of the Estee Lauder scents.

I have used all of the variations of Pheromone, from HSN and MM...oil, perfume, EDT, cologne and all have worked on me without losing the scent's essence. I really don't believe that the HSN variety is different from the original.

To use, apply sparingly. The scent lingers all day.

on 4/30/2013 9:56:00 PM

Skin: Other, Fair, Cool

I REALLY like this and came to it via cherryblossomdiva's excellent oil dupe. It's mostly a potent, powerhouse green - strong, dense and certainly of its late-70s time (fine by me). There's rather a lot going on in Pheremone...it brings to mind a complex mosaic of piney greens and dark, earthy resins. I've not tried the one now sold on the shopping channel as I have an older bottle, but if you want to try before buying, CBD's dupe is remarkably close.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

To my nose a higher quality, more upscale Charlie. Definitely a 70's or early 80's fragrance. I dont do well with galbanum so this is not for me.

on 11/26/2012 7:00:00 AM

This smelled like stale cigarette smoke mixed with a weird chemical pong.If I was trapped in an elevator with someone wearing this I'd be sick!

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Love at first sniff! Unfortunately, it was on someone else's dresser and I have no idea where to get my own full bottle (the bigger the better!). From the top note, this contains big florals and green notes then dries down with strong oakmoss presence. That combination of notes are what I love in classic perfumes from the 80s like Chanel Coco, Estee Lauder Knowing, YSL Opium, Guerlain Shalimar. This perfume is for a woman who is confident yet elegant. Worn by the right woman, it can come off as a sexy scent. Definitely not for those who like soft, almost imperceptible scents.

Just checked online and shipping costs make it too expensive. I would buy more than one bottle. Anyone know a brick-and-mortar that sells it in West Coast Canada??

Popular Fragrances