July 24, 2014 | 1942 users online

Skincare - Body - Red Light Therapy/Vibration - Planet Fitness

rated 5 of 5 on 2/14/2014 10:41:00 PM More reviews by Sk00zie

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

The red light therapy is what is helping your veins not the vibration. I use red light at home and my spider veins have disappeared.

rated 3 of 5 on 4/14/2013 11:53:00 PM More reviews by GiGiQue

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

This is becoming quite a craze in my area. However, I can find NO. REAL. DATA. about actual results. Everything is anecdotal. So I'm giving it a try and am going to share anything that results: good, bad, or indifferent.

Today was my first day. It is a "stand-up booth" which surrounds the body with light (a LOT of light--I'd recommend eye protection--same as you'd use for a tanning bed); your feet are placed on "feet imprints" on the floor of the machine, and you choose one of 4 programs that vibrate at different levels. I am highly skeptical of vibrational devices; high vibration over time can detach retina's and be bad for the internal organs. I selected the "light" setting (Program 1), and it began... lasting 12 minutes. It was very warm--even with the fan. There is a definite learning curve to using the machine the first time. Standing on a vibrating base, even for a short time and at a low setting, left me a little dizzy. I can see/feel that it is a "lymph drain", but it is certainly NOT a "workout". It is suposed to be "relaxing". Being cautious and being my first time, I wasn't relaxed... maybe next time. I did go home and nap afterward (Sunday), but I'd also worked out hard before doing the treatment.

I work in the medical field, and prefer facts and verified observation to prove that something works. To determine if the "treatment" is working, I will monitor my assortment of age spots, scars, stretch marks, areas of large pores, my varicose veins, and overall skin tone. My SO will assist in monitoring--he is very honest, so if there's no change he'd be upfront about it.

The women who work at PF claim to have had drastic reductions in stretchmarks, acne, and improvements in skin tone. Of course, they work there--so they would naturally promote the product. Also, they are all younger than I am, so--call me an old cynic.

4/14/13 - First usage. Program 1. 12 mins. It was a 'learning curve' day. No discernable changes (not that it was expected). Will log in weekly with updates.

5/04/13 -- I have been doing this 4 days per week, non-consecutive days. I do not like the vibration plate/"workout" portion. I do "Program 2," I didn't like the Program 3 or Program 4 -- again, I'm NOT big on the vibration aspect. If I do this later in the evening, after my workout, it does help me sleep... the vibration portion makes me tired (but, I workout at a high intensity before doing this treatment. While described as a "workout", this vibration plate is NOT a workout.)

Pro's so far: my varicose veins are lessened noticeably (my SO says this, too), a couple bruises healed much faster than usual (due to vibration, and not red light therapy, I'm sure). My skin is none the worse from doing this.

Con's: as of yet, no significant improvement in my skin tone/wrinkles, stretch marks, etc. I had 2 bruises heal very quickly, but I think that was the vibration aspect and not the red light aspect--same with my varicose veins. Nothing has changed due to the red light therapy that is discernible. Also, the vibration plate makes me really tired--not cool if done earlier in the day, I NEED my energy/focus. If you have vertigo, are sensitive to motion, have ocular issues, or just don't like being shaken/vibrated--then this is NOT for you.

I will continue for a little while longer. But thus far, I am only motivated by my varicose vein improvement.

6/11/13 - I now have eczema patches on my legs due to stress/allergies/whatever... the red light does not make any difference on/to these patches. However, my varicose veins are much improved. I will continue in order to see how much better my varicose veins will get. Still don't like the vibration-plate; but I do like not thinking so much about my bad varicose veins when I wear shorts.

8/10/13 - my eczema is acting up on my legs, and this does nothing for healing it. My varicose veins are not completely gone, but remain drastically reduced. (That is due to the vibration plate at the base of this Red-Light Therapy unit, it is NOT due to the "red light.") I do not like the vibration plate aspect, but that is what gave me the positive results/changes that are visibly noticible. Am not going to use this Red Light Therapy any more. It is included for free in my gym membership, but it's time I could be spending on something else that IS worthwhile.

Overall: I noticed no difference in skin tone, stretchmarks, acne, etc.... while using this. I think the vibration plate & not the red light therapy is worthwhile if you have varicose veins, but it is contraindicated if you have various medical conditions or are taking certain types of prescriptions. I found this "service" to be anecdotal hype. I'm glad for others if they had results. On to something else.