Ardell Brow Trim and Shape

Price: $

Price: $

Skin: Other, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I must preface this by stating that I am lucky in the sense that most of my body hair is extremely fine and translucent (except for my unibrow, go figure). The peach fuzz on my face can get pretty long and out of control if left unchecked, but still, it's not like I'm trying to shave a grizzly bear. I thought these would be a more precise alternative to the little electric "pen" style facial shaver I've been using for years, plus I am a fan of other Ardell products, so I figured why not? Well, turns out it's because these strange utensils are little more than brightly colored plastic picnic knives with a little cap on top. Seriously, go to the junk drawer in your kitchen and find one of those little white plastic knives that everyone has leftover from something and scrape it up and down your skin. You will achieve exactly the same result: zero hair removal and mildly irritated skin.

I have no idea what the point of these are supposed to be. I understand what it says on the packaging but I do not understand how these tools can be capable of accomplishing that. I've seen positive reviews elsewhere but I have no idea how people are getting these to work for them. Am I doing something wrong? I feel like I bought myself a really unfunny gag gift.

Luckily these were inexpensive at Target, but the few bucks I coughed up would have been better wasted on a scratch off lotto ticket. At least I would have had a few seconds of fun while throwing away my money. Don't quit the lash game, Ardell. You're much better at providing people with false extra facial hair than you are at removing it. Nope. Sorry. Next.

*********UPDATE*********

Turns out, I was definitely doing something wrong. I just had the feeling to keep playing with it and try a few more times before tossing them out completely. I finally got the hang of it when I held the blade PARALLEL to my skin and ran it against the grain. I kind of wish it worked going the direction of the hair growth to help reduce nicks and irritation but whatever, good enough.

I absolutely do not recommend these shavers for sensitive or already smooth skin. However, these are fantastic for my severe KP skin that needs intense daily exfoliation. I can actually see the dead skin sloughing off on the blade with each scrape, which is disgusting yet oddly satisfying. This worked better than any scrub or chemical exfoliant I've ever tried. It's kind of like back-alley dermaplaning.

Now, these are pretty flimsy so I can see them dulling quickly especially with use on the whole face but they are cheap enough so no big deal. It is more time consuming (and a little nerve wracking, I won't lie) than my usual electric "pen" shaver thingie, but it is way more precise, like I was hoping, and way more exfoliating while being somehow less irritating. I'll be adding these to my routine from now on. Sorry Ardell, my bad!

This product doesn't work at all. I understand the concept behind it, but clearly the R&D people really didn't give this much thought. I compare it to using a 20-year old serrated steak knife on my face. It doesn't cut any hair at all, and I know this because I used it while looking in my 10x mag mirror. Neither hair nor skin would budge. I'm not willing to scrape the heck out of my face to give this a second try, so in the garbage they go. Good thing they were cheap.

Popular Brows Products