September 15, 2014 | 1793 users online

Polishes - Clinique - A different nail enamel for sensitive skins

rated 2 of 5 on 8/14/2014 8:31:00 AM More reviews by cdclayp

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I received this product in coral snap. The application of the product was great. Two coats covered everything. I noticed chipping and dark spots that evening even after applying a top coat. I would not recommend this product. For a few dollars more I would recommend Butter London polishes.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 7/24/2014 7:19:00 AM More reviews by ErinK

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Got a GWP of this and I am not pleased. I don't even know the name but it is a beautiful grape/magenta color. However, I found it watery with not enough pigment to coat without thin patches even with two coats. The brush was not great, made precision difficult. I got some bubbles too, and whiile I am not an expert, I am not a slob either when applying (summertime, but air-conditioned room, and the bottle was fresh). Finally, it takes a long time to dry (weird, since others say the opposite) and even though I dried for two hours before bed, woke up with sheet marks. So it is definitely not hard enough for me. For this price, a nail enamel better be phenomenal.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 5/14/2014 6:42:00 PM More reviews by hippodeem

disappointment. it sounds great from their marketing. but it does not deliver. i bought one base & top coat and one nail color in fizzy. as much as i want to like this as no nasty 4 ingredients, they don't deliver, they are not shiny, streaky, huge brush and does not last long at all. one good thing, they dry fast. i would prefer to stick with sparitual or OPI instead.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/1/2014 11:20:00 AM More reviews by combatmedicwife

I don't have sensitive skin but I could not resist the display of yummy colors! I chose black honey, but it was a tough call. The formula is inoffensive, I love how it applies. Dries pretty quickly! Longevity... leaves a little to be desired. Very average staying power and I expected a little more due to the price. But all in all- brilliant.

rated 2 of 5 on 2/7/2014 3:30:00 AM More reviews by Rachulll

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I bought this in red red red and party red. I am a red enthusiast, so I couldnt resist when i saw they were stocking these at my campus clinique counter. So far i've only tried red red red, but i assume that the experience will be similar with party red. Anyway:

pro's:
pretty color. bottle matches the color on nails pretty well.
relatively fast drying.

con's:
rough application. the formula is somehow both watery and gloppy? it's hard to explain, but its not good. didn't seem particularly streaky, but i haven't looked at it in natural sunlight yet so we shall see.
very dull finish. perked up with topcoat, but still annoying.

verdict: not worth the 12.50. I'm probably going to keep party red since the dupe of it I have in my collection is drying out but red red red is definitely going back.

EDIT: Party red was, if possible, even worse. Terrible formula, no shine, and VERY streaky. Back to the counter they go!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/1/2014 9:30:00 PM More reviews by Merina

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I have this in Black Honey and I normally don't feel compelled to write reviews on nail polish but I had to for this one! I love dark polishes but they chip so easily on me. I use brands such as MAC, OPI, and Essie. Black Honey is $12.50 and worth every penny if you ask me. I have had it on for four days now and have washed dishes by hand and cleaned my house without a single chip. The only bad thing I can say about this polish is that the cap is kinda big to easily handle, but the product itself is awesome!

rated 3 of 5 on 1/25/2014 5:52:00 PM More reviews by naicha

I got this in Black Honey as part of the Black Honey Beauty Set. The colour is beautiful - it's a jelly formula which is super glossy and keeps it from just looking black. Compared to Essie's Wicked, this defitinely shows more of a wine red gleam. I needed two generous coats for full opacity. Unfortunately, this chips VERY easily on me, so considering it is rather pricey, I would look for another deep red / almost black shade once my bottle runs out.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/6/2013 7:50:00 PM More reviews by martha610

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I'm enjoying my little GWP sample of Really Rio. I do mean little, as I used it the first time this morning and I doubt I can get more than two more manipedis out of it. The color is a medium shade of soft orange that might be called Coral or Mango. It's a lovely summer shade, and I would buy it if I could put it toward another GWP. Of course, the next GWP promotion will be in the autumn, so I might buy Black Honey then, along with Clinique's base/top coat that gets good words from MUAers. I used OPI ridge filler base and Christian Dior top, with two coats of polish, and it's looking pretty. For the GWP, they paired Really Rio with Heftiest Hibiscus Intense chubby stick, a red-orange. The other choice was Pinkini polish paired with Plushiest Punch.

I took away a point because it's a bit thick, which makes it a little hard to apply.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/29/2013 9:34:00 AM More reviews by Olfactoria

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

It is pretty damned expensive-- and I can't say my eyes or hands have ever suffered "sensitivity" from any non-Clinique nail polishes in the past-- but I am enjoying my free sample of Pinkini, a very cute '80s-esque candy pink. This is a quality product. Opaque in 2 coats (I used 3 on my toes just because I like color to "pop"), doesn't streak, and is incredibly shiny even when dry. Drying time is about medium.

Clinique nail polishes used to be a total dud. They were tacky and took forever to dry and looked bad on. Which, I suspect, is why they quietly disappeared from the market and were replaced by this new line. And I have to say: big improvement!

rated 4 of 5 on 6/9/2013 12:36:00 AM More reviews by emandemsinalamb

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

I picked this up in Black Honey, given that I have the matching lipstick and love this iconic shade.

The first thing I should mention is that the price for this polish, I believe, is outrageously steep at $18 CAD. I have lots of excellent polishes from OPI for $11 each that are just as good or better than this polish (however much I like this). Because Black Honey is such an iconic and unique shade, I figured it was worth picking up if only to collect...but I certainly wouldn't buy or recommend buying more than one of these. The colours are lovely, but they are easily dupable.

If you're familiar with Black Honey, you know that it's a blackened cherry-red, a deep berry shade that looks good on almost anyone, and looks quite different on everyone. How does it compare to the lipstick? I would say that it's pretty close to the lipstick when the lip colour is applied at full opacity. I do feel that it has less of a deep purple undertone, however, which I happen to like.

The formula for BH is a jelly, which I think was a great choice, because it keeps this colour from showing up completely black, which often happens with dark red polishes. It keeps its red sheen. It has a high-gloss finish, which looks gorgeous, and is only enhanced by a nice top-coat.

Opacity is excellent, becomes opaque after two coats. I can't say whether the claim that it is better for sensitive skin is true or not, because I've never had skin problems as a result of polish, and I really think it's just a marketing angle for Clinique.

Overall, BH polish is grossly overpriced, but is at least a great polish, and I would recommend picking it up if you are a BH or a Clinique fan.

UPDATE: I didn't realize this previously, but Clinique is actually charging more for the Black Honey shade of this nail polish than any of the other colours. Of course, the price difference will vary depending on where you live, but here in Canada, Black Honey costs about four or five dollars more than any of the other colour options. (This is also true in the US, though I don't think that the price difference is that huge.) Kind of a rip-off, Clinique.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No