December 22, 2014 | 1844 users online

Mascara - Maybelline - The Rocket Volum' Express Waterproof

rated 4 of 5 on 12/1/2014 4:05:00 PM More reviews by breannalynnn

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This is a good mascara. I find that it works better for me after it has dried out a little bit because the formula is pretty wet and hard to apply. I personally don't think it's as good as everybody says it is, if I'm not super careful it clumps my lashes together. One time I applied two coats and my eyelashes were so clumpy I had to go through the process of completely removing the mascara and re-doing it. Luckily I wasn't on a time crunch otherwise I'd be walking around looking like I had a total of three eyelashes. The blackest black is very dark which is a plus for me. And the waterproof formula is definitely waterproof...so hard to get off. It's super hard to get my lashes to hold a curl and a lot of the time this doesn't hold the curl, and my lashes just kind of stick up weirdly. I've purchased this twice but I don't think I'll buy it again. Maybe if your looking for a lengthening mascara then you'd like this, but I need something to make my lashes more voluminous.

rated 3 of 5 on 11/30/2014 3:52:00 AM More reviews by gemma2802

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

This is a mediocre mascara. I definitely prefer this waterproof version to the regular, I think the regular is pretty horrible but the waterproof version does the job for a drugstore mascara. I've had 2 bottles of this, and after my 2nd bottle I would not consider repurchasing.
The formula is quite wet at first but is very easy to build up with a few coats of this. The Boots' website instructions for use say to not let it dry between coats. I don't agree with this. I usually wait till it's just about set before drying Maybe this is why it's not working as perfectly as it should for me but this is just much simpler for me to do. It lasts for a pretty long time, and is definitely very waterproof, which is probably one of my favourite aspects of the product. I always prime my lashes first with Estee Lauder's Lash Primer Plus first. However I do not believe that it has 8x more volume as claimed. Yes, it gives good volume to my lashes but I'd say it gives me 3x more volume at best. It's got a nice true black colour which is good too.
The packaging is okay, I do like the colour and the shape, and the pale blue writing on it is much nicer than the pink on the regular. It's easy enough to carry around with you just as a top up to apply throughout the day.
The brush could do with having slightly longer bristles, but the overall shape is nice and the handle is easy to use and apply.
I do find that you have to be pretty careful when applying this to not make it look too clumpy as it has the effect of doing this, but as long as you apply it carefully and brush out any clumps you may get you do get a nicely voluminous look.
Eh, not the best mascara, but also far from the worst. I'd probably recommend this to someone who is just starting out with makeup as it is easy to use. Doesn't live up to it's claims but has got a nice long lasting stay.

rated 3 of 5 on 11/30/2014 3:04:00 AM More reviews by antiguru

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

Doesn't really holy my curl and gets very crispy with just one coat. Goes into the drag queen bucket.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/21/2014 3:47:00 PM More reviews by neonsparks101

I absolutely LOVE this mascara! The only con is that when you first start using it the formula is very wet, but after more times you apply the mascara it becomes fine. I make this a duo where I first apply this mascara and top it off with the amazing Maybelline cat eyes waterproof mascara. The rocket mascara gives me lots of volume and length, and the cat eyes mascara gives a great curl to the lashes. I LOVE THIS SO MUCH go buy it if your looking for a great volumizing mascara!

rated 2 of 5 on 11/20/2014 8:13:00 AM More reviews by TiffanyChic

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This stuff... This stuff is terrible! I always look for new mascara. I never buy more than one tube at a time because I don't want it to get old before I use it. I wanted to try this when it was new but never did. I grabbed it on a quick run to CVS to replace my old Revlon Lash Potion (which I love.) This, however, is awful stuff. There no volume, just a thick black gunk on my lashes. I hate it. And it's a pain to get off. The bristles are too short and stiff to do anything. 6xs the volume. I say false claim. I've nearly gave up on Maybelline anyway. I'm going back to my lash potion asap.

rated 1 of 5 on 11/19/2014 4:12:00 PM More reviews by glittergatkes

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

Ugh, this Rocket needs to blast off and never come back. It has none of the volume-boosting qualities of the non-waterproof Rocket - and also none of its easy-on, easy-off qualities, either. It paints on inconsistently...more on some lashes, less on others. It flakes, BUT doesn't wash all the way off no matter what I use. If you love looking like a raccoon or cartoon bank robber or masquerade ball patron, then you will love the waterproof Rocket. I however am banishing it from my orbit for good.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/17/2014 1:30:00 PM More reviews by iest

I love this mascara.
My eyelashes can't seem to hold a curl for the life of me. It doesn't matter what I do, (trust me, I have tried just about every mascara and eyelash curler, high end and drugstore) my eyelashes will not hold a curl with any mascara other than this one.

When you first open a new bottle, the mascara is a little bit too wet, but once the mascara dries out a bit (after about your 3rd-4th use) it's like magic! The way your lashes look when you finish applying your mascara is exactly how they'll look when you go to take off your mascara a thousand hours later!

It also coats beautifully.
The only thing stopping me from giving it 5 lippies is that it's a little bit difficult to remove, especially since I use quite a bit.

What I do is, I get in the shower, and let the warm water hit my face and go all over my lashes, then I take Makeup Forever's Sens'Eyes cleanser and coat my lashes (and only my lashes) by putting some cleanser on my fingers, and blinking the product on generously. I shampoo my hair, condition, shave all that fun stuff, and then at the end of my shower, I rinse my lashes off and all the mascara is gone! Once I get out of the shower, I use a makeup wipe to remove the residue from the Makeup Forever cleanser, but that's besides the point.

I always get soooo many comments/compliments on my lashes! I definitely recommend this mascara if you have extremely stubborn lashes like mine.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 11/17/2014 2:37:00 AM More reviews by TurtleMoon

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

I have a bit of a bad history with Maybelline mascaras, which is why I was reluctant to give this a go at first despite the rave reviews it seems to have received just about everywhere. I waited until I was in the States to purchase this as I knew I could get it cheaper than in the UK, so that way if I didn't like it I wouldn't feel bad that I spent loads on it.

Although not as bad as Maybelline's original Great Lash mascara - which left my eyes in a terrible state and had me running to the bathroom to remove it AS QUICKLY AS POSSIBLE - this still wasn't great. Unlike other reviewers here, it wasn't the brush size that bothered me so much as the actual formula of the mascara, which I found was way too wet. Whilst using this I've had a high number of occasions where it's transferred to my under eye area and/or my brow bone simply because I made the mistake of blinking too soon. Which in my opinion is just plain ridiculous when you consider that mascara is probably the last thing you apply before going about your regular business. And I personally don't have time to stand there and wait for the stuff to dry!

The other issue I've had with this is just how clumpy it can get if you apply too many layers. I'm not someone who applies numerous coats of mascara - my limit is 2-3 depending on the formula - but even after the second coat this struggles to separate my lashes and instead leaves me with the classic 'spider leg' look. I then have to spend another couple of minutes using a cotton bud to try and carefully undo the bad that's been done, which isn't ideal when you're pushed for time.

I'm still using this but once it's done I won't be getting another one. I think I paid about $5.99 for this which equates to around 3.60 and for that amount of money I KNOW I can get a much better mascara!

rated 5 of 5 on 11/16/2014 11:06:00 AM More reviews by GirlAtHome

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Grey

This is by far my favourite drug-store waterproof mascara. It stays all day, has minimal flaking, and it really does a good job of leaving my lashes thick and long. I'm thinking of picking up the non-water proof type, just because of how amazing it is.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/9/2014 6:03:00 PM More reviews by emeraldgreenmascara

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine Eyes: Blue

Best. Mascara. Ever!

+ Doesn't flake off like its non-WP sister does
+ gives good volume, especially with multiple coats
+ holds curl
- a little hard to remove. Def requires a good WP makeup remover