August 2, 2014 | 1649 users online

Lips - Lime Crime - Velvetines

rated 5 of 5 on 7/28/2014 4:04:00 PM More reviews by wooedwiththistles

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

Nothing- I repeat nothing, compares to this. It took me a long time to get ahold of one of these beauties and after I got it I found out why it was always sold out. First of ignore the people saying that any other liquid lipstick is the same as this as long as you don't use the clear balm stuff. Because that's crap. I've done that, you get gloopy sticky lips if you try that. No, this is the only thing that with give you that glorious matte pin up pout all night long. (As long as you don't eat anything extremely greasy.) it's also extremely light as in you can barely feel it on in comparison to normal lippy as long as you apply with a light touch. Trust me a teeny amount goes a long way. Which brings me to my only issue with this. The brush. Unfortunately the brush simply holds too much product. So I just use it to get a tiny amount of product out then I spread it with a lip brush. I say tiny because this lip product is one of the most OPAQUE color ever. Your lips will look cartoon character perfect. Also back to that can feel feeling, my bf used to not kiss me even if I had any lip products on even if all I had on was balm. He hated the feeling of anything on my lips. This was the only thing he liked. That tells you how minimal the feeling is. Over all this product is never ever ever leaving my purse. And if lime crime ever stops selling it I'll buy 50 before there all gone.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/14/2014 10:01:00 AM More reviews by ellensmith

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I hate wearing lipstick, I hate feeling it on my lips and having to top it up, but I love the look of it so I thought a product like this would allow the dramatic look without fuss. I do really love these, the colour didn't bleed at all on me and it only takes a thin layer to get full colour. I also found it very even and non streaky. the packaging is gorgeous too. for the down side, it is very drying and I found that although I stayed put, after a few hours it turned pappy on the inside of my lips which made it feel gross and uncomfortable although you couldn't see it. it doesn't transfer, but the pappiness made me start to chew on my lips a little because of the discomfort which isn't a good look. I suppose I could try a gloss over the top, but the would defeat the object of not having to top it up and I love the matte finish. overall, I am pleased with it, but its not a regular wear for me so I think the tube will last me a long while.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/9/2014 5:09:00 AM More reviews by Andi2010

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I just re-discovered my RED velvetine this winter and remembered how much I like these. They really do have the staying power to last the distance and on me that's even through eating and drinking. Towards the end of the day or a long night out I find they fade and disappear from my inner lip.

The key I have found to getting these to look good is to apply really carefully at the start especially around your lip line so you don't get any bleed marks because this stuff does not come off easily. They dry down fairly quickly but don't look completely matte imo. Towards the end of the day I find they do feel a bit drying.

I don't wear these on an everyday basis, I think everyday they may become too dry and uncomfortable. I find it really hard to get a nice red that suits me and on my pale NC15 skin tone don't like anything too harsh, on me this is quite a dark red, very noticeable but I find quite wearable and love the look of red velvetine against pale skin.

As this is more an occasional product for me I can see it lasting a long time, but if I was to lose it probably would repurchase - as a good red is hard to find.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/20/2014 4:21:00 AM More reviews by GothicGal

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I have Red Velvet and Pink Velvet in the velvetine range. The red is amazing, it really suits me and I have never worn red before this one because every shade has made me look like a big, clown weirdo.

So the colour is very flattering. Tick!

The longevity is not so grand. I mean it lasts, don't get me wrong. If I put it on in the morning I still have a tint of that red on my lips in the evening. But it fades likes something shocking and comes off in spadefuls when you drink or eat something. It definitely does not stay on your lips. Which is fine with me because i can reapply. But the problem with velvetines are they stick onto your teeth and feather out from your lips when you put it on. It's bad. Like on one hand i know the lipstick looks amazing but on the other hand I am slightly terrified to go out in public because i may have red stains on my teeth or red on my white foundation from smudging.

The bottle and quanity are fabulous, cute and lasts forever. Price is also affordable.

Application is messy. For me at least as I put it on my finger and dab. Then my finger is stained. And reapplication is the same turmoil (you need to reapply a few times a day for full effects of this lipstick).

Will I buy it again? Yes because the shade is beautiful and suits me. Longevity is a bitch but meh, what are you going to do?

rated 3 of 5 on 6/11/2014 8:18:00 PM More reviews by JohnsonEA20

I purchased the Velvetines in the colors 'Red Velvet' and 'Suede Berry'.

Pros:
1. Very pigmented
-There's just no argument. Whether they do it illegally or legally, vegan or not vegan.. these things are friggin pigmented.
2. Universally flattering colors
-I'm pretty picky when it comes to lip products because for some reason I just cannot find shades that compliment my skin tone that easily. But these shades (at least Red Velvet and Suede Berry) can go well with just about any skin-tone. I tried them on my sister (who's Russian and is as pale as a ghosts' albino child) and my mom (who's African-American) and myself, of course (I'm Latina) and they just did not go wrong on any of us.
3. Smells pretty good
-I can't put my finger on the type of smell it has, but for some reason I just want to shove it up my nose. It's a very soothing (for lack of a better word) smell?
4. Cute packaging
-I love how it's not that purple, glittery "cutey-patootey", verging on "cheap-plastic-child makeup set for christmas" packaging like Lime Crime has their lipsticks in. Just simple, elegant and cute.

Cons:
1. Not long-wearing
-I had such high expectations for the longevity of this product. I cannot even accurately describe into words the amount of disappointment I felt when the colors started to fade off within an hour or two of applying it. I had not eaten anything (yet), I had not drank anything (yet) and I had not kissed anyone (....yet.) but it was still fading away. And when I did eat dinner and have drinks, and kiss my boyfriend (just a peck) there was only a slight faded color left on my lips to show for it.
2. Not "non-transferrable"
-Okay, this part really irked me the most. I put my trust into the Velvetines and what do they do to me?? They decide to bleed and feather out all over my lips, tint my boyfriend's lips (which he spent 5 minutes trying to rub off of his lips. Okay, so NOW they choose to be non-transferrable?!), and onto my teeth (Again, at this time they chose to be non-transferrable). I had no idea that they had transferred onto my teeth, and I occasionally run my tongue over my front teeth quickly just to feel for lipstick (which one can usually feel on their teeth) but I didn't feel anything when I did it this night. And when I got home that night after dinner, I look in the mirror and see red splotches all over my front teeth! It looked like I just tried to suck the blood from a red gusher. I digress.
3. Expensive
-I usually buy all my lip products drugstore. I just really don't see the point in paying more than $15 for a lip product from any "low" or "high-end" cosmetic brand. But I thought, "hey, if it's really worth the hype and money, then I'll shell it out". But in the end, I have better lasting and almost as well-pigmented drugstore lip products that I bought for half the price of these babies.
4. Shipping took FOREVER
-I bought mine when they were in full-stock in November of last year, on the website, and they remained in-stock for several weeks after. (I checked the website daily after ordering, debating whether to buy more products or not. I chose not to, just to see how I liked these Velvetines first.) The shipping was standard, but I swear it took so long for me to receive my order that I had completely forgotten I had ordered the dang things in the first place. Then one day, probably 3-4 few weeks later, I was pleasantly surprised when I came home and there was the box on my doorstep.

Conclusion: I'm torn. The colors are awesome and pigmentation is amazing, but it just doesn't seem to justify or balance out for the downfalls of being terribly short-lasting and expensive.
My advice: just use your own judgement. If you're feeling lucky, buy them.

rated 1 of 5 on 6/4/2014 12:41:00 AM More reviews by Ruby_Red

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Green

I had high hopes for the Velvetines, but they really didn't live up to the hype for me.
I bought Red Velvet and Wicked, and both really are absolutely gorgeous colors. Unfortunately, that's the only thing they've got going for them! Now for the long list of downsides:
-upon application, I had a LOT of feathering/color bleeding (which never happens to me)
-substantial amount of color transferred onto absolutely everything my lips came into contact with (even more than a standard lipstick)
-felt heavy/sticky/uncomfortable on my lips
-very drying
-after about 2 hours of wear, I looked in the mirror and saw that I had a LOT of color bleeding out again. I almost looked like I had bad clown makeup on; it was that bad :( I *never* have problems with lip products bleeding or feathering on me, so I am really surprised by the major issues the Velvetines gave me with this.
-even hours after removal, my lips still feel uncomfortable and unhappy

Yes, the packaging is nice, and that combined with the $20 price tag suggests that this is a high quality product... But that quality is sadly lacking here. It's disappointing because I love supporting small businesses, and the colors really are lovely, but I just can't deal with a product that gives me this many problems. I'll be returning these!

rated 5 of 5 on 6/2/2014 8:11:00 PM More reviews by wrayjj

This is a great product in terms of long-wear lip colour. I bought the Suedeberry shade and was very impressed with it. Normally I shy away from bright coloured lipsticks however, this is a happy exception. The colour is very rich and pigmented, extremely eye-catching. I have had a few compliments with this one.

In terms of longevity, this product is exceptional. I find that it will last from 7:30am - 12:30pm easy despite countless cups of tea and water. After lunch however, there tends to be some minimal fading on the inner lip. I do tend to reapply after lunch, which lasts me until about 7:30pm. This is very good!

I have used a number of lip tinters and stains that do not even come close to the quality of this product.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/24/2014 7:24:00 PM More reviews by yuwannano

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Dark, Cool Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I bought this in Salem and this is BT far the best matte chocolate brown lipstick I've ever seen. Glides on and stays on even after dinner and drinks (unless you're eating something greasy). Smells good too. A few cons. Like most matte/stain lippies Velvetines are dry! If you have dry and/or "mature" lips this product is not for you. Also, this lipstick at $20 is expensive. Had it not been such a unique color for me I would not have bought it. In all honesty, Velvetines are comparable to NYX Matte Creams which are only $6. In any case if you're looking for a matte chocolate brown, buy this but for a basic matte lipstick save your money and buy NYX instead.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/21/2014 5:03:00 PM More reviews by aliceburgessxox

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This review is quite mixed. I have red velvet, and I love the colour, it is so rich and beautiful! They claim that this lipstick goes on a liquid and dries completely matte, and this is very true, it glides on, and a little goes a long way, and the matte finish is so smooth and really does look like velvet, however it does dry my lips out quite a lot, which I find to be quite uncomfortable. They also claim that it's touch-proof and transfer-proof, the lipstick does stay very well, but I find that the inside of your lips will fade when you eat or drink.

This lipstick has lasted me so long (a year..ish) because I only use it on special occasions as it was so expensive with post and packaging from America to England, so I want it to last so I don't have to repurchase. But when it does run out, I think I will buy it again. Overall it's a 4 from me, as I love the appearance and qualities of it, but I find it too uncomfortable for everyday use as it's so dry.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/6/2014 12:07:00 PM More reviews by samanthareesor

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Limecrimes velvetines are AMAZING, some of my fav go to lip products (and I have A LOT) they go on nice and creamy, super pigmented, and dry matte! I've never had a product like this before (I know there are quite a few out there now) and these blew my mind. The color selection is great and if you can get over the price (because they are SO worth it) you will not be disappointed!