Maybelline Colossal Cat Eyes Waterproof

Hair: Red, Straight, Coarse

Good mascara for the price. The curved (sorry, "claw") brush curls and coats each lash and it seems to wear well without flaking. I would probably go for a volume-boosting mascara formula next time as this gives my lashes length, curl and definition but not much volume. I love the packaging as I'm a sucker for anything cat-themed, but I don't care for the fat, round cap. It would be easier to open and hold if it was flattened or textured.

I love using this! I pair it with my best in faux from tarte and my lashes look amazing I like it a lot better then tarte one that comes with the fibers I've repurchased many times

By far the worst mascara I've ever used. It's a shame I say that because I normally like Maybelline mascaras, but when I think of my worst mascara experiences, this one is the first that springs to mind. I shelled out $7 or so for this, which I consider on the more expensive side for a drugstore mascara, and I was so excited to try a cupped brush for the first time.

Boy, did I regret it.

When applying this, the brush was just so awkward (and I used another scoopy brush right at the same time as this then with no issue), I have no idea why this thing was so brutal to work with. Then, as it poked my face so frequently and left smudges everywhere, the formula dried almost instantly, so I had to really work to get these big black smears off! I appreciate a quick drying formula, just not when it gets everywhere. The result wasn't fabulous enough to make me want to put myself through such hassle. It stayed on my lashes well, but it was such a pain that after a month I chucked it.

Hands down the only mascara I will use. I'm asian so my lashes are self explanatory, I normally can't get them to hold a curl no matter what, but this mascara dries quickly and I don't have to curl them again after applying. Also the brush is absolutely perfect for bottom lashes: super thin and firm so it doesn't get everywhere. It also doesn't smudge! Definitely recommend if you weren't blessed with long or many lashes.

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Curly, Other

I really love this mascara. I have very thin, fine, short and sparse lashes (bottom of the barrel in the eyelash department!). I like this mascara a lot, it is quite possibly my favorite thus far. I find that with other mascaras it will help in one area and not another (i.e.: lengthen them but clump them together). This mascara really separates my lashes to make them look fuller and lengthens them. It also holds a curl, t doesn't seem to weigh them down. I like this mascara so much I often wear it alone when I just want to look more awake. My only complaints are I feel as if I go through a tube rather quickly, and the formula is a little on the drier side. But these are small caveats for the results I get. I will keep re-buying!

Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm

Hair: Red, Straight, Medium

I actually thought the notion of an HG mascara was just an urban legend. I have decent lashes but they're blond and I feel like most mascaras look decent when I put them on but a couple of hours later they're just "meh". Not only do I see the difference this one makes, even my husband who couldn't give a crap less about my makeup noticed the impact of this mascara. This has more of a chemically smell than I'm used to but I'm so in love with the shape of the brush that I don't care. The small size coupled with the curve makes it super easy to get all the way from lashes to tips and to fan out just your outer corners if you want to. It lets me get all of my lower blond baby lashes without ending up with all sorts of mascara under my eyes. My only really complaint is that if I sneeze before this is dry, I have a mess to deal with. Sneezing aside, I haven't had issues with smudging or flaking. I also use Urban Decay eye-shadow primer on my lids, Dermalogica Skin Perfecting primer under my eyes and Bare Essentials foundation over all of it so maybe some of that helps? Anyway, this is my HG. I finally found a mascara I'll buy more than once!

I notice a lot of people are complaining it's hard to remove. Here's what I do: Start with a oil-based remover (I tend to buy Target's version of the Neutrogena one) on cotton balls. I follow that up with Neutrogena Naturals Purifying Facial Cleanser that I use at the same time as a Target brand exfoliating cucumber make-up wipe (pretty sure it's the knock off of Yes to Cucumbers). I have to go to this length to get the Dermalogica primer off my face but the side benefit is that it also gets rid of every trace of whatever mascara I've plastered on.

Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure

I guess you could say this is a alright product...

pros:
lots of length
holds curl
super easy to apply!

cons:
smudges everywhere
isnt waterproof
and just a natural mascara

This product gets a 5/5 for its waterproof ability alone. You really do need to use a waterproof make up remover if you want to use this mascara and remove it too. As for application, it doesn't clump and separates lashes beautifully. I'm not surprised to see such a high review for this.

On my lashes: 4/5
Within 1 hour: -5/5

I'm a Southeast Asian with short, sparse, straight (pointing down), hard-to-hold-a-curl lashes. Yeah, I know, I'm blessed in that department.

What I look for in a mascara: length, volume, curl (duration), smudge-proof, waterproof.
I always get waterproof because those formulas hold better curls.

Moving on to this mascara:
Curls: Great! The formula certainly holds my curls quite well. I can often wear it for 8 hours with the curls still intact.
Length: Fairly decent! Not va-va-voom, but visibly and beautifully lengthens my lashes to some extent.
Volume: Fairly decent! Similarly, my lashes are visibly thicker and fuller to some extent.

Waterproof: Never went swimming nor cried while wearing this, so I cannot attest to this quality. But I do believe my curls are well-held because of its waterproof formula. So...probably a yay?

Smudge-proof: NAY!! NAY, NAY, NAY. Like the little girl at Target I overheard saying, "holy lipsticks!" This product is the mother of all mothers of smudging. RACCOON EYES GUARANTEED. EVERY TIME.

I have tried many drugstore mascaras, and there have been some that were quite the smudgy type; but I kid you not when I say that this mascara has some intense smudging power. I've set my under-eyes with powder. I've given sufficient time for the product to dry before I let my lashes touch my under-eyes (from blinking). Nothing worked! I've been persistent though. I'm still using it because I don't want to waste the product. But holy damn. Every single time I get home from school (which is usually just 5 hours!), I look into the mirror. Lo and behold, there it is. Those damn smudges. But I always thought, "maybe it's because I walk a lot and sweat a lot." Well! I went to lunch with some colleagues two days ago. Decided to wear it (because I love everything about it so much -- length, volume, curl), and I figured lunch was only going to be about 2 hours...3 max, walking included. Well, lunch was about 1.5 hours. Then I went to the bathroom and instinctively looked at myself in the mirror. I was appalled. My eyes looked like raccoon eyes.

So, no, I don't think I'll be repurchasing this mascara.

Other info:
Packaging: cute, compact.
Removal: easy. Cleansing oil - with ease. Wipes only - fairly easy.
Color: true to color (ie. "Black" is actually black)
Price: depends where you buy it.

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

This mascara is honestly the best I have EVER used! It leaves absolutely no clumps and literally does it jobs with volumeising and lengthening lashes without making it too obvious that mascara is being worn! Overall, number 1 go to mascara, highly recommend and super affordable!

Popular Mascaras