December 22, 2014 | 869 users online

Hair Treatments - Frederic Fekkai - PrX Reparatives Mask

rated 5 of 5 on 10/11/2014 11:19:00 PM More reviews by xeliotx

This stuff transformed my hair! I was on the verge of chopping it off because it was so limp, dry, and damaged, but now it's full of volume, and healthy. I used to use Its a Ten protein treatment mask but this blows it out of the water. It smells so much better and works so much better. A note to anyone who decides to try this: it took about 3 uses before I noticed a significant change. The more I use it the better my hair gets.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 7/28/2014 7:56:00 PM More reviews by ajax5455

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I received a good-sized sample of this in my July Sample Society shipment. I'm sure it's a wonderful product for thicker, more coarse hair. Mine is fine and silky, and this mask leaves a residue that makes my hair feel dirty. For me, my favorite hair moisturizing mask is still Clear Scalp & Hair Intense Hydration.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/6/2014 1:46:00 PM More reviews by atrayloraxo

I absolutely love this mask! It has a warm, comforting scent, leaves my thick color treated hair so soft and is just amazing! I would say results are similar to It's a 10 mask but I prefer the feel and scent of this Fekkai mask. This will always have a place in my shower!

rated 3 of 5 on 3/12/2014 11:15:00 AM More reviews by lizzchan12

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm Hair: Other, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Grey

To give people interested in purchasing this product my hair type as a comparison: I have a lot of hair, but it is fine in texture and naturally dry as well as colored and processed with heat tools, so it is important for me to have a mask/treatment that is moisturizing and repairing without totally weighing my hair down. This mask is great in the sense that it doesn't weigh hair down, so if volume is a big concern for you like myself, you will probably be pleased with this product in that regard, however, it is not moisturizing/repairing enough for me personally. Especially for the price and the claims Fekkai makes about it being a keratin repairing mask, it is not hydrating enough. The usual conditioner I use every time I wash (Biolage Matrix hydratherapie conditioning balm - which is amazing btw) works better for me and makes my hair look and feel more replenished and restored, and it is not a mask or treatment.
This product is not a bad product by any means, but it is not a great product either. As I said before, the price is not justifiable for the quality of product, and in my opinion, it does not live up to its claims. Fortunately, I was able to purchase a small $8 sample jar at Ulta, so if you are on the fence with this product try to see if you can get the small size. There is enough in there for probably 5 or so treatments for people with long hair (mine is pretty short, so I will get more use than that most likely), so there is enough product to tell if you like it or not.
Unless you have a keratin, silicone, and/or protein sensitivity, this product probably won't be harmful to your hair. In my opinion it is nothing more special than a good conditioner to be used every once in a while for extra needed keratin and protein.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/7/2014 More reviews by MaryEllen

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Other, Medium Eyes: Blue

I didn't use the "old" version of this mask so I can't make a comparison, but I do love this one. It has a warm vanilla scent which I love, and it leaves my hair incredibly shiny and feeling deeply conditioned, but with a lot of body--an unusual result from any mask--and the effects last for 1-2 shampoos. It does contain a lot of silicones, so if they don't work for you, avoid this. It also contains hydrolyzed keratin, so it works well to repair as well as condition. I use this one week, then a Kerastase mask the next so I don't overdo it with the protein. To use, I apply it to wet hair after using a clarifying shampoo, pop a processing cap on, and let it sit for about 20 minutes before rinsing out. It's pricey at $49 for 5 oz, but you don't need much to coat your hair thoroughly. Overall, I'm impressed with this line, and I've never been a big Fekkai fan. But if you have dry, color-treated hair, need moisture and a little repair, and are OK with silicones, this is worth a try. I've already repurchased.

Ingredients: Water, Cetearyl Alcohol, Cyclopentasiloxane, Cetyl Alcohol, Stearamidopropyl Dimethylamine, Isododecane, Glycerin, C12-15 Alkyl Benzoate, Behentrimonium Methosulfate, Fragrance, Hydrolyzed Keratin, Polysorbate 60, Phenoxyethanol, Citric Acid, Hydroxycetyl Hydroxyethyl Dimonium Chloride, Dimethiconol, Benzophenone-4, Disodium EDTA, Panthenol, Hydroxypropyltrimonium Honey, Panthenyl Ethyl Ether, Methylparaben, Propylparaben

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 4/22/2013 6:23:00 PM More reviews by izzybella

I'm torn about this mask. I like that it makes my hair look soft and fluffy, but it 1) makes me break out on my neck in hard, under-the-skin pimples (gross); 2) my hair is more prone to breakage after I use this, even if I only use it 1-2x/week, and 3) my scalp feels drier but my hair feels greasier when I use this mask. This is a pretty standard reaction to hair products with keratin, but YMMV.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/4/2013 2:46:00 AM More reviews by emodel

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Seems like they re-invented the `old` Protein Rx mask? I couldn`t find it at Ulta, so I got this one instead. First of all, this one is $49 which is super expensive (the other mask was $30). The smell is amazing, love it, like a warm vanilla candle. :-) The packaging is beautiful, I really like it, I love jars for hair masks, and this really looks like a high end product. The texture is almost the same as the Protein Rx mask, like a thick, lovely white cream that has a bit of a gel in it. To be honest I had problems with most of the Protein masks as they never moisturize my hair enough, but this one is fabulous, (so is the `old` one!), really, my hair has never been this soft, full of life, moisturized after any other protein treatment! The only thing I am not sure of is the fact that the `old` one was $30 and this is $49, and they seem to me the same.?! (Ok, the `Protein Rx mask` had soy and milk protein to prevent breakage. This `PrX Reparatives Mask` has keratin and silk proteins that supposely helps 98% breakage.) If you find the cheaper one, buy that, but if this is the only one you find, get it if you have breakage issues, or your hair is overworked, you will not find a better protein treatment... :-)))