December 19, 2014 | 994 users online

Lipstick - Maybelline - Color Sensational #338 Midnight Plum

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/1/2014 7:42:00 AM More reviews by Mellymoomar

I actually picked this colour up very recently, which some might think is a little strange seeing as this is most definitely a winter colour and we are in full swing of Spring but that's me all over, very late with the trends!
Anyway, I love the Colour Sensational line, I think for drugstore lipsticks they have a huge variety of shades all complete with fantastic pigmentation which almost matches the quality of a high end lipstick. So some definite praise to Maybelline for that, as they deliver on their lipsticks.
Onto Midnight Plum, which is a very much a vampy dark shade, which lovers of the statement lip will adore. It is a cool toned deep plum shade with a blue base to it. Its a little bit of a unique colour actually as when you push it up and hold it to the light it looks almost duochrome with hints of a blue green shimmer, but it is very much a purple berry shade when applied.
When worn alone, this is a very vivid dark shade, so I tend to like to lighten it up just a bit with my MAC Magenta lip liner, which is a pinky purple shade that helps to just even it out a little bit, as I'm pale it can be a little too dark alone. But it is a truly gorgeous shade that pretty much any skin tone could rock very well.
I think the only complaint I would make is that I really hate the cheap plasticky scent this lipstick has. I can only assume they've tried to be a little bit like MAC and have that whole vitamin e/shea butter smell going on but have failed badly. It smells just a little too fake and sickly for me.
Overall though, for the price you pay you have a fantastic product that is well worth the money and I would probably pay more it. Truly wonderful.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/13/2013 4:33:00 PM More reviews by silkpuppet

I was so excited to find this vampy lipstick at the drugstore. It is rare to find deep, dark purples at a low price. Midnight Plum is a blackened plum, as the name suggests. It definitely does not have any traces of red, it is a cool-toned lip color. It gives such a sophisticated, polished look to an outfit, I love layering it with MAC Rebel for added oomph. That being said, the formula of the lipstick is lacking. It does not apply opaquely and tends to settle into the lip lines. I do not mind reapplying but the other Color Sensationals I own are much creamier. The color is really beautiful though so I will continue to use this shade with other lipsticks to maintain opacity.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/2/2013 7:24:00 PM More reviews by alexanna7

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Olive, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Midnight plum is a verry dark creamy plum lipstick. It goes well on the application,it last fairly long with a lip liner and a lip gloss. When applied alone,i use a lip sealer so that no patch shoes off. Love it!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/19/2013 7:42:00 PM More reviews by MES

Despite my very fair skin, and lackluster lips I love deep dark lip colors. Midnight Plum is a very dark purple/plum shade. I wouldn't recommend applying this straight from the tube for those with lips that lack a lot of natural pigment, as it can go on a bit uneven or pull very dark almost black. I tried this after applying a lip balm, blotted the balm, then applied this with a lip brush and blotted the lipstick and it was much less harsh. This does has the same odd scent as the other color sensational lipsticks.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/7/2013 1:11:00 AM More reviews by mollysauce

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I saw this in store while browsing but didn't pick it up. As soon as I left the store I couldn't stop thinking about it. I went back for it and I'm so glad I did. Amazing dark color for fall/winter. Great pay off for the price!

rated 4 of 5 on 10/6/2013 12:52:00 AM More reviews by hellsbelle51

Midnight plum is the lipstick version if Mac Nightmoth. Application is a tad streaky but it is okay if a lipliner is used. Really gorgeous deep purple for day or night. Like the slick purple le packaging.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/5/2013 4:19:00 AM More reviews by tatachip87

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This lipstick was a gift from a friend I absolutely loved it. Did'nt think I was going to enjoy it on but after putting it on and seeing it on my lips I put it on just to see the dark pretty purple of it. I am trying to find a eye shadow to match it. She gave me 2 tubes gonna go get a few more before they are gone.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/10/2013 5:17:00 AM More reviews by AbiJTalks

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Other, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

My number one favourite purple lipstick. Wasn't expecting such deep purple colour considering it looks somewhat red on the actual stick. Don't let that fool you!

It goes nicely against my skintone as most dark lipsticks do.

I always worry about the plastic square tube packaging of lipsticks as I've had a few of them break but this one seems rather sturdy.

The only flaw is that you need to do two coats to get the very deep purple but that takes pretty much no effort.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/2/2013 6:26:00 AM More reviews by jealouspony

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I love this lipstick! The colour is beautiful and well pigmented. I only apply a light layer for work and then a bit more for going-out looks.

It's not drying on the lips and the staying power is normal. Not worse than any other brand, as long as you wear a primer underneath.

It has a strong smell though, so if you're picky about that, this might not be the product for you. I don't mind it though.