October 24, 2014 | 1742 users online

Styling Products - Joico - Power Whip

rated 3 of 5 on 2/16/2014 8:24:00 PM More reviews by intheflatfield

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

Does it do what it claims? On my hair, yes. It gives body and firm hold, and the firm hold is fairly flexible. The problem being that I find it to be extremely drying and also to leave a terrible residue behind. I can't stand the way my hair feels after using this product. So much so that I had to stop using it. I do wish it provided a cleaner, non-drying hold because it definitely enhances my waves very nicely! Helps with frizz, too, but I just can't get past the dry, gunked up feeling it leaves my hair with.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/8/2013 9:04:00 AM More reviews by Cydney7

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Medium Brown, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is my favorite styling product of all time! My hairdresser recommended this to me for my curly hair and it turns my curl into perfect ringlets!! It even "re-activates" if you had it in your hair yesterday and put a little water in it today (without showering again). That's what i did that day of my wedding and my curls were perfect again. Best Joice product ever!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/1/2013 2:02:00 PM More reviews by 1017

UPDATE: Ok, some of my concerns came to be realities. This does require much more clarifying or use of sulfates than I want to do for my color treated, dry hair. If you are fine with using stronger shampoos, this is a nice mousse. But using my regular sulfate free stuff and clarifying schedule, this just started to weigh my fine waves down. I am still giving it a 4, it's a nice mousse, especially for those special times when you need extra hold. But it isn't working for my hair long term.

ORIGINAL POST: Power Whip is a new mousse (whipped, but just feels like regular mousse to me) with a hold level of 9 out of 10 on the Joico scale. To give you perspective, JoiWhip is only a 7. The very first time I used this, I almost returned it...it was awful when I first looked at my freshly done hair. I was late but really wanted to re-wash my hair. So I just "shook it out" and all of sudden, it started to look nice. Since then, every time I use it I have gotten better and better results. I have very, very fine wavy hair that can be encouraged into nice curls, but they need encouragement. And they can easily be pulled out into almost straight waves. I used the Power Whip with my AG Recoil and had killer volume at my crown and my curls looked so nice. Also, on the dreaded "day after", my hair didn't feel dry and parched, it still felt nice.

So here is the low down:
*Volume at the crown = great
*Curl definition = once you figure out how to work with it great. Because at first, I just got poof.
*Hold = amazing.
*Great for fine hair! I think thicker, tighter curled girls may prefer a more moisturizing, looser hold product.

Now I have one reservation about this product. It contains beeswax about half way down the ingredient list. This concerns me because my current sulfate free shampoo doesn't have enough ooomph to get rid of that in a regular wash, so I will have to clarify more than usual. So even though I am keeping a careful eye on the beeswax/build up/ irritation issue, I am still giving this 5 lippies. The hold is amazing and so is the lift at the crown. I apply mine with my head bent over. I apply the AG Recoil then apply this in the crown and work the extra down the shaft. I have added the ingredients as listed on the can exactly. There are some ingredients listed twice, that is how it is on the container.

INGREDIENTS:
(Exactly as listed on the mousse can, for some reason they list certain ingredients twice-also listed above)
Water/Aqua, Hydrofluorocarbon 152A, Isobutane, VP/VA Copolymer, Polyquaternium-46, Pentapeptide-29 Cysteinamide, Pentapeptide-30, Cysteinamide, Tetrapeptide-28 Argininamide, Tetrapeptide-29,Argininamide,Hydrolyzed Keratin, Cocodimonium Hydroxpropyl, Hydrolized Keratin,Beeswax/Cera Alba/Cire D'Abeille, Prunus Doemstica Seed Oil, Thermus Thermophillus Ferment, Glycerin, Opal Powder, Polyquaternium-69 Polyquaternium011, Ceteareth-6 Steareth-21, Ceteareth-25, Diazolidinyl Urea, Guar Hydroxypropyltrimonium Chloride, Stearyl alchohol, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Citric Acid, Butylene Glycol, Linalool, Citronellol, Limonene, Fragrance/Parfum