April 18, 2014 | 1833 users online

Sunscreen - CeraVe - Face Lotion SPF 50

rated 2 of 5 on 3/15/2014 1:48:00 PM More reviews by CombatWombat

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

Hmm. The formula is definitely nice and non-irritating, and my skin feels soft where I've applied this sunscreen. Unfortunately, it is cosmetically unwearable even at just 1/4 the amount needed to get the full SPF. I am very pale and this left a glaring white cast on my face and many white smudges around my features and hairline despite very careful application. There is nothing "invisible" about the zinc in this product, and while it is definitely smoother than physical sunblocks from the past, most people who use the proper amount of this sunblock will find it too chalky to wear anywhere but the beach. Even then, it's up for debate. I applied roughly 1/8 teaspoon to my face, neck, and ears - this is roughly a quarter of how much sunblock one should actually be using for that area - and while the product applied smoothly and did not sting, after two hours on my face the white cast seems to have worsened rather than improved.

I will not throw this sunscreen out, as it was kind of expensive, but I'll probably reserve it for touching up protection on my nose and ears when I'm at the beach this summer. For a much more cosmetically elegant all-physical sunscreen, I recommend trying Cliniderm instead.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 3/12/2014 12:01:00 PM More reviews by hwnpunch

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Other, Medium Eyes: Brown

I like this because it's a physical sunscreen that gives good protection however the price is a little ridiculous considering the fact that I can get a small container of Ocean Potion clear zinc for around $3. I do like that this is a typical squeeze tube and not a tub though for sanitary reasons. This claims to be formulated with invisible zinc. I'm not sure that such a thing exists but Ocean Potion goes on much clearer. This is medium weight and requires a ton of blending if you were to wear it alone and will still leave you white faced. I like to add a drop of Argan or facial oil for moisture and easier blending and a drop of foundation or concealer that's several shades darker than my skin tone to create a custom tinted sunscreen. No white face and decent coverage for everyday wear. I still think the price is a little ridiculous but I've certainly spent more on sunscreen and this is available pretty much everywhere.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/25/2013 4:09:00 PM More reviews by RedNailz

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

Finally - a sunscreen over 15 that doesn't irritate my skin! Even the last bits of my beloved (and now discontinued) Shiseido lotion make my skin flaky and red. I am fair and this doesn't give my skin a white cast. It feels light, too. I wear it all day and it lasts, unlike others I've tried that leave me unprotected by lunchtime.

However, I gave it a 4 instead of a 5 because I do need to blend quickly and thoroughly to avoid white smudges around my nose (and even then, I occasionally miss a spot and find it later).

rated 1 of 5 on 8/21/2013 11:29:00 AM More reviews by smhr

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Chalky white does explain this sunscreen perfectly! CeraVe has some nerve to call this inVisible Zinc! Not only that, where did they come up with an SPF50 rating? I have other sunscreens with higher % of zinc and titanium with an SPF30 rating. And good luck washing this off. I used a glycolic wash on my arms and legs and it still left a film behind. CeraVe needs to reformulate this and make it more user friendly.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 8/19/2013 3:14:00 PM More reviews by Eire1

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

It is my own fault for not listening to other reviews , but this is terrible. It leaves a very noticeable white cast that does not blend well and rubs everywhere. Is there fall out? there is fall out galore ! Ugh .
The formula is a mixed bag:They include benzyl alcohol close up top on the list and, Methylisothiazoline-- two irritants one of which is not recommended for leave in products. The only good things about this formulation is it has three antioxidants and two possible skin cell communicators including Niacinimide and retinal palmitate. They admittedly did a good job of adding in oatmeal as an anti-irritant , some ceramides as skin identical ingredients, and a tiny bit of humectants.
'CeraVe' usually does a good job, and I had high expectations for this sunscreen, but it's back to the drawing board I know 'CeraVe' can do better. Use this at your own risk! If you want a mineral sunscreen "Eucerin' has one, and some of 'CeraVe's' other sunblocks don't seem as bad, but they are not perfect.

6 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 6/17/2013 1:13:00 PM More reviews by Piwi

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I have very oily complexion and this lotions doesn't make me shine!, it stays matte and don´t irritate my face.

I put some dots in my entire face and then I spread the lotions on my face

I don´t see any white or chalky color in my face!

rated 4 of 5 on 5/24/2013 6:31:00 PM More reviews by tranquildreamxo

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

Yes, this product leaves a slight white cast but as long as you put your makeup over it, then it's not noticeable. I'm pale though so it doesn't bother me. It's more like a thick cream instead of a lotion but as long as your rub it in it's not a big deal. High spf, Zinc, acts as a primer. I like it.

rated 2 of 5 on 5/18/2013 7:42:00 PM More reviews by virgo11

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I really wanted to love this. it's really the first truly matte sunscreen I've ever tried. it goes on pretty smooth but that is where the love ends..... this is NOT invisible in any sense of the word. even if you rub it in for a few minutes, it still leaves a very noticeable white cast on your face. I tried putting on much less, still white. I tried foundation on top, still white. I tried mixing with another moisturizer..... still white.

and God forbid you sweat..... it will show up. my son told me " there is lotion coming out of you" when he saw it. I am being generous and giving it a 2, it is matte and not greasy at all. unfortunately you won't be able to wear this outdoors where people can see you.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 5/12/2013 11:18:00 AM More reviews by lucyrox

Age: 44-55 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

White face! Dry, sticky, white-face. I do not like this product at all because, although the package claims "invisible zinc", it is not invisible and left my face looking ghostly pale. This product also made my face very dry looking. I put my usual lightweight foundation on top of it and that was a mistake because it turned my face very white, dry and cakey. Three things that I don't want my face to look like. I will return to Walmart and get my $13.47 (for 2 oz.) refunded.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/8/2013 11:56:00 AM More reviews by windyp

I love, love, love this. Any lotions or foundations that contain traditional sunscreens tend to break my face out and I hate the sunscreen smell. But having a previous melanoma on my face, I'm under strict "wear sunscreen at all times" orders. This sunscreen finally does exactly what I need perfectly.

It has no odor and it does not break out my skin. I could cheer I'm so happy.

Some people indicate that it is gloopy and leaves a white film. It can if you splat a bunch in your palm and just smear it on. If I'm wearing it alone, I do small areas at the time and it blends in quite well. What I normally do, however, is mix it with my foundation in the palm of my hand first (I get the foundation a shade darker than I want so I can mix it with the sunscreen or standard lotion and have it come out the shade I want) and then spread that on my face. It works a charm.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No