CeraVe Face Lotion SPF 50

2.4

Active Ingredients: Titanium Dioxide 4.9%....Purpose: Sunscreen. Zinc Oxide 4.7%....Purpose: Sunscreen. Inactive Ingredients: Water, Butyloctyl Salicylate, Cetyl Dimethicone, Dimethicone, Styrene/Acrylates Copolymer, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, Dimethicone Peg-8 Laurate, Isohexadecane, Butylene Glycol, Polysorbate 60, Trisiloxane, Arachidyl Alcohol, Polyhydroxystearic Acid, Hydrated Silica, Ceramide 3, Ceramide 6 Ll, Ceramide 1, Niacinamide, Cholesterol, Phytosphingosine, Peg-100 Stearate, Glyceryl Stearate, Ascorbic Acid, Avena Stearate, Ascorbic Acid, Avena Sativa (Oat) Kernel Extract, Arachidyl Glucoside, Beeswax, Behenyl Alcohol, Benzyl Alcohol, Stearic Acid, Bisabolol, Dipotassium Glycyrrhizate, Ehtylhexylglycerin, Glycerin, Hydroxyethyl Acrylate/Sodium Acryloyldimethyl Taurate Copolymer, Pantothenic Acid/Yeast Polypeptide, Peg-8, Xanthan Gum, Polyaminopropyl Biguanide, Polymethyl Methacrylate, Alumina, Potassium Sorbate, Retinyl Palmitate, Sodium Lauroyl Lactylate, Carbomer, Tocopheryl Acetate, BHT, Disodium Edta, Methicone, Methylisothiazolinone, Triethoxycaprylysilane.

on 5/15/2015 12:20:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

If I could give this 0 lippies, I would. Lots of other reviewers complained of this leaving a white cast, and since I am extremely fair I figured this would not be a problem. I was wrong. This feels like you are spreading Elmer's Glue on your face. It is so sticky, and you cannot get it to sink in no matter how hard you try. It leaves a terrible white cast and made my face irritated. I usually love Cera Ve products, but this one is definitely a dud. This would not work for any skin type.

on 5/9/2015 12:47:00 PM

Unfortunately I did not read the reviews before buying this. I agree with everything the other negative reviews have said. This sunscreen is a little thick and pasty, and despite the invisible zinc claim, the white cast from this is terrible. My skin is light as it is, and this leaves a noticeable white mask over it. No amount of rubbing helps. It also feels heavy and makes my skin feel a little irritated and itchy. Also it does not contain added fragrance, but the scent that the ingredients give off makes it smell faintly of paint. Weird and gross. Not a fan of this one at all.

on 5/2/2015 10:20:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Like many of the reviewers below, I have several CeraVe products and bought this thinking I couldn't go wrong. Broad spectrum high SPF protection, lightweight, dries clear, water resistant for 80 minutes, and contains ceramides and niacinamide? Great! Except NOOooooo. Not good at all.

I've tried several times to make this work and have given up. The formula is terrible and I don't know how this even made it out of product testing, or who wrote the ludicrous claims on the packaging.

Firstly, it says this product "is like no other sunscreen you've ever experienced." Well I suppose that's true, because I've never had any other sunscreen make me look like a dry, flaky ghost the way this one does. Then it describes the product as a "lightweight formula that spreads easily and dries with a clear finish." LIES. It's a very thick white cream that dries much too quickly as you try to spread it. Even when I try to work with it in small patches, it's almost impossible to avoid streaks. And once it dries, anything you do to fix the streaks will make it flake and look worse. What part of "clear" actually means opaque? If it had a clear finish, my husband wouldn't have said, "Whoah you look like a geisha!" the moment he saw me with this on. The package also says, "May also reduce skin redness." Well yes, it may happen to reduce redness, as it also reduces any other color on your face, including your actual skin color, to pasty whiteness.

I tried applying it to bare skin and putting makeup over it to put some color back in my face. But unless I caked foundation and bronzer over, you could still see the streaks. Plus it felt like I was wearing a mask. I tried mixing it with my foundation, to make a tinted sunscreen. I still came out looking several shades whiter. I tried putting on less, but then I was sacrificing protection and it was still hard to spread and streaky.

There are some pros, to be fair. It's fragrance free and didn't irritate my sensitive skin. And I have no doubt that it really does provide the protection it claims. But I will only be wearing it when I go out for a run, or other outdoor sports, when I don't care what I look like. For a more expensive sunscreen, it's really disappointing. It finally spurred me to order some Asian sunscreens from Amazon, because it seems that the Asian brands actually know how to make highly protective sunscreens that you won't hate wearing.

on 3/7/2015 2:05:00 PM

Like most everyone else, I bought this because Cerave has such a great reputation with products. Most surprisingly and unfortunately, this one did not live up to their reputation.

Before this, I was using a natural body sunscreen with zinc oxide and titanium dioxide that was thick, tough to spread, and left my face patchy. I didn't fault the product much for that because it didn't say it was intended for face. Well, this Cerave lotion specifically intended for the face gave me just as much trouble as using a thick body sunscreen. This was thick and wouldn't spread over more than a centimeter of skin per dollop, it seemed like, while leaving a white cast. Trying to spread it further and rub it in to deplete the whiteness only caused my face to flake, an awful look with no fix. This was with using moisturizer prior to application. For comparison, I also recently got a super cheap travel size Kiss My Face sunscreen that goes on smoothly.

This was a higher-priced drugstore item and not at all worth the money to me, because I'm already dreading having to use it up, considering it makes my face so flaky.

on 12/23/2014 5:09:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

I have been really interested in trying CeraVe's sunscreen because of the "Invisible Zinc" claim, but unfortunately this product has one of the worst white casts I have ever seen. Previously I've used all-physical sunscreens with white casts and I don't mind them too much; in some cases they even help even out my skin tone and conceal acne scars. However, this white cast is so egregious on my medium skin tone I look like I'm auditioning for kabuki with a complete white face. It said it "dries clear" so I waited hours, and it only got worse as it started to flake off some of my dry patches and along my hair line.

I did like how easy it was to spread on and the ingredients (ceramides and niacinamide), but I was definitely expecting something more moisturizing since they advertise this as a "face lotion." On my dehydrated-normal acne-prone skin, it exacerbated my flakiness and dry patches along with caking up on any acne and making it a lot more noticeable (and this was with moisturizer underneath too). It also has a sort of stale powdery scent upon application.

Overall, this product completely failed to meet the expectations set forth by the "invisible zinc" claim on its packaging and I won't purchase or recommend in the future. If this weren't a sample, it would be going straight back to the store.

Edit: 12/26/14 - It's worth mentioning that the SPF 50 body sunscreen from CeraVe is nearly identical in ingredients, the only difference is the omission of niacinamide. I've tried both and find them indiscernible. If niacinamide isn't a major draw and this sunscreen works for you, the body sunscreen is only $1-2 more for 3 oz (instead of the 2 oz for the face sunscreen).

on 11/24/2014 11:15:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

I really wanted to like this. CeraVe AM Lotion with SPF 30 worked for me for a long time until I developed a sensitivity to chemical sunscreens. I was waiting for a product from CeraVe that was mineral-based and, preferably, paraben-free.

Pros:
- Has a dry finish
- Dispenser is way better than the AM/PM lotions

Cons:
- Does NOT moisturize nearly enough. AM SPF 30 is formulated with hyaluronic acid, and I'm not sure why that wasn't included in the SPF 50. I also know mineral sunscreens can be more drying, and I should note that this product does not purport to be a moisturizer the way the Facial Moisturizing Lotion does, so I probably should have been more cognizant of that.
- It left an awful white cast along the perimeter of my face...it just got flaky and gross and clumped off.

I will use this in the summer when I'm at the beach or going swimming, but it's not something I would apply daily, especially not in the winter.

on 10/8/2014 1:29:00 PM

Yikes, I did what another reviewer below did...I bought this without checking reviews and assumed it would be good as I like CeraVe products in general. It is quite white and very drying. I am very pale so the white cast is not too bad as anything white matches. But I am also very dry so this is not a good match at all. The overall feel is heavy and thicker than most phyiscal sunscreens seem to need to be today so this feels a little zinc old school. I would not reommend this to anyone really but if you want to try it, I would say you need to be pale and have oily skin to have a chance for this working for you! I will go back to my Elta MD for now which I love but was searching for somethign a little cheaper...

on 10/7/2014 12:20:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

I love CeraVe products and bought this without checking the ratings. I put it on. Wow do I look like a flaky white ghost. It is thick and doesn't rub in easily. It sits on top of the skin and magnifies the appearance of any dry areas. After a few minutes it started to sting my face and left me with red scaly skin.

If your skin is highly sensitive and anything besides translucent stay away or you'll start off like a ghost and end up like a tomato.

I'm still a huge CeraVe fan but very disappointed with this product.

on 7/10/2014 8:29:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Other, Fine

CeraVe really failed with this, which is surprising, considering how good their other products are. If you are dressed up like a vampire for Halloween, or Geisha Girl, or mime, you will love this white as a sheet look. I hate to be wasteful and toss it out so I use it on the back of my hands and tops of my feet where it isn't so visiable. I thnk I'll stick with Neutrogena.

on 7/7/2014 3:44:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

This is my new favorite high-SPF face sunscreen. I mix this with Paula's Choice Resist Super-Light Daily Defense SPF 30 sunscreen, which has a slight tint and tons of antioxidants, but is also really pricey. I wear this combination on my face 365 days a year. By combining these products each day, I get a higher SPF along with the sheer tint and anti-aging ingredients in the Paula's Choice product.

The biggest selling point for me is that this CeraVe SPF lotion is fragrance-free -- I cannot stand the "sunscreen smell" and this lotion doesn't smell like anything to me. I also like the texture of the CeraVe lotion; the high-SPF factor; its blendability; the fact that it is a mineral sunscreen with zinc oxide and titanium dioxide; and it has some skin-beneficial ingredients like niacinimide. Paula's Choice Beautypedia says that it has a preservative that can be problematic for sensitive skin. I have noticed a little bit of acne since I started using it, but overall it's pretty good.

Before I found the CeraVe SPF lotion, I used Neutrogena Healthy Defense Daily Moisturizer SPF 50 Sensitive Skin until I couldn't find it at the drugstore. The CeraVe lotion seems to provide better coverage and has a better texture than the Neutrogena.

Top Rated CeraVe Products