April 17, 2014 | 2029 users online

Top/Base Coats - Julep - Freedom Polymer Top Coat

rated 2 of 5 on 3/2/2014 1:22:00 AM More reviews by hazee78

I was so ecited to use this. Thought it would be great and it was for a few hours. My nails looked nice and shiny and it dried nice and hard but my nails started chipping at the very top within a fe hours. I feel like my polish would have lasted longer without this.

rated 3 of 5 on 1/21/2014 12:43:00 AM More reviews by nutella2683

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Medium Brown, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other Eyes: Brown

Doesn't live up to promises or hype. It looks great at first but hardly lasts a week let alone a couple of days. I have used it as a topcoat for all my Julep polishes (10 different types/consistency/formulations) and it definitely seals the manicure of the thinner brighter polishes better, the ones that glide in easily, than it does for a thicker creme formula where I have found it to easily nick. Still on the hunt for the perfect topcoat to replace my old fave SV but thinking Butter London hardware is next to try! Overall 3 lippies.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 10/7/2013 9:55:00 PM More reviews by SHeust

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

This is crazy expensive at $18 so I would never buy it myself but I got it as a gift.

I like the look of the Julep bottles and the brushes are good too, as far as shape and density. However you need to scrape off the brush on the bottle rim a lot with this topcoat or it will go on way too thick. It's a really thick formula as it is and it gets even thicker/glop pier after a few uses.

This dries pretty fast to a hard/durable seal and a nice glossy finish. No bubbles, smooth look. Makes polish look like gels. However, it does cause shrinkage.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 7/23/2013 10:41:00 PM More reviews by Lady5andy

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

This is a great top coat. It is super super shinny and make my mani last a long time. BUT, and it's a really big BUT, i get major shrinkage. Like, the polish come of the tip on my nails, shrink and wrinkle. Every.time. It is really annoying, because my mani last a super long time but wrinkled and shrinked :(

It is also self leveling, and dry super quickly. I would really like to love it, but with the shrinkage and the price tag of 18$, i will not repurchase.

Oh and after maybe 2/3 of the bottle, it become really really goopy, and it cannot be saved with a thinner.

I will not repurchase.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/12/2013 5:39:00 PM More reviews by chillizabeth

I've been super impressed with this top coat. Granted, I only paid like $6 for it and apparently list is $18. My nails haven't chipped at all, and I'm constantly adding keys to key rings, opening sodas, and other stupid things that usually destroy my mani in a few hours. If you can get it on sale, it's the best top coat I've ever used. But seriously, $18 is so much money for this - the applicator is kind of shitty, so it puts WAY too much on your nail. All of the Julep polishes have the same bottle/brush design. It looks pretty, but it's not the best.

rated 2 of 5 on 6/16/2013 1:02:00 AM More reviews by akharri785

I really wanted to love this stuff. And I did when I first received it. The shine was the best shine I've ever seen from any top coat and it dried amazingly hard and fast, especially under a 60 watt bulb like the directions state. Many people thought I had gel nails due to the shine alone, that's how amazing it was. But this polish quickly started to annoy me. It lasted a few days and disappointed me that it seemed to have only average longevity. But what really annoyed me is how horribly thick this stuff gets after just a few uses, not even half way through, even when capped tightly! And thinner takes away from the shine and drying process. Also, the cost is outrageous. $18 for a 0.27 ounce bottle? You have got to be kidding me. This stuff is more expensive per ounce than Chanel polish!

rated 3 of 5 on 6/10/2013 1:06:00 PM More reviews by brooklynbee

This definitely gives your nails the look & feel of a gel mani. Compared to a gel manicure, it's very cost effective; compared to a plain old topcoat it's expensive. However, it definitely doesn't give you the durability of a gel. I've had my polish on for about 4-5 days and it's chipping; I did touch it up once. However, removal is easy and there's no need for a UV light or to go to a salon. So for all those pros and cons, I give a solid middle grade!

rated 4 of 5 on 4/29/2013 2:46:00 PM More reviews by katfromthesticks

I really like this. I received one in a maven box. The next month, I was able to add one on for $5. With this, I can have my mani last 6+ days w/out chipping. I use my usual routine. 1 coat stickey, 1 coat nail tek 2 plus, 3 coats color. Would I pay $18 for it? No, not for the teeny bottle. On sale, most definitely.I would stockpile the stuff.

rated 3 of 5 on 4/12/2013 4:47:00 PM More reviews by eat245

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

When I first read about this top coat I got really excited. It can be applied over any nail polish, cures under a normal lightbulb, and promises the durability and shine of a gel manicure with the easy removal of regular polish. What's not to love? Well, Freedom doesn't exactly live up to its promises. While disappointing, it's still a decent product and I find myself using it regularly.

The good: Freedom makes your nails super shiny- I'd say it's pretty close to the shine of gel nails. Removal is easy, I don't notice any difference with Freedom vs. regular top coat. The best thing about Freedom, IMO, is its strength as a quick-dry top coat. Apply it over polish that's dry to the touch and hold your nails under a lightbulb (I usually go a little longer than it says on the package, I allow 2-3 mins under the light and then maybe 3-5 minutes more drying time). You'll get nails that are totally dry, no smudges, no dents, no sheet marks.

The not-so-good: Freedom in no way offers the chip resistance of gels. I'd say the durability is the same as regular top coats. It's also pretty thick, so you have to apply carefully and do pretty thick coats to get a smooth surface. I find that I get pretty noticeable shrinkage when I use Freedom, too, which can be annoying.

I do like this top coat and will probably re-purchase, but only at the discounted Julep Maven price- I don't think it's worth $18 for the quality of the product and the size of the bottle.

rated 1 of 5 on 3/25/2013 2:09:00 PM More reviews by lisaway

Age: 44-55 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Saw this product and thought it would be the answer to my nail problems. Wrong. I put on a base coat, a coats of regular polish and let dry as the instructions say. Then I applied the Julep Freedom and held my hands underneath a 60 watt light bulb for longer than the called for 2 minutes. That's it. On the box it says it will cure in natural light in 5 min, or"for longer lasting results" 2 min under a 60 watt bulb. I was impressed. My nails were dry. They didn't feel rock hard dry like a true gel manicure but they were totally dry. The next day they started chipping and now 36 hours later, they look terrible. I am going to try this at least one more time and if I get better results, I will repost otherwise if you want a topcoat that dries quickly-this will work, if you want a manicure that lasts, look elsewhere.