Julep Freedom Polymer Top Coat

2.9

This is a pricey product ($18 for a tiny .27 oz bottle - smaller than how most brands package their polishes). I thought if it actually worked how it claimed to it would be worth it though. At first I thought it was amazing - it really does give that plush gel look. The directions say to wait for your polish to dry, use the top coat, then wait 5 mins, or hold it in front of a regular 60w light bulb (regular bulb - not a nail lamp) for 2 mins. I looked at my lamps and light fixtures and only had a 60w bulb in a light fixture on my ceiling so I actually used a ladder and held my hand up to that light bulb on the ceiling. It didn't dry as quick as stated but it was still pretty fast (about 15 mins and it was totally dry). It is super shiny and looked great at first. But a few hours later I got shrinkage on a few fingers. Then a few more hours later I got chips on a few fingers. And I had made sure to use a very thin coat. Usually my home manicures last a lot longer than that. I have tried it 4 times now and the shrinkage doesn't always happen but the same day chipping has happened every time. Also, by the next day the shine dulls and doesn't look the same. I have tried it with OPI, Julep, Dior, and Essie polishes. It always chips the same day. Definitely not repurchasing it.

on 10/31/2014 6:58:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

I have used this topcoat and one from European Secrets as they are similar gel like top coats. I find this topcoat works very well. However make sure your color polish is dry before applying...otherwise shrinkage can occur. I wait a full 5 minutes before I apply this topcoat. Work well with all the nail polish colors I use: OPI, China Glaze, Essie, Butter London and Deborah Lippmann. I assume it should play well with juleps own line as well.

It is pricey, so a reasonable dupe is the Rock Hard topcoat from European Secrets. That one you can and should apply over wet polish.

Back to Julep. Easy to apply, it's thick like seche vite. Doesn't need a light to cure. Will cure with sunlight or regular lightbulb. Really makes nails hard and durable just like a gel overlay minus the need to soak it off.

I like to use this on day 2 of my manicure to extend the life.

This is my go-to topcoat. In fact, I refuse to get a mani or pedi without it. This dries in 5 minutes flat - so I can confidently put my feet back into shoes or rummage through my purse knowing that my nails will not be ruined.

To be fair, I judge topcoats solely based on dry time - and I have not come across any other product with faster drying time, so this earns top marks in my books. However, this isn't without flaws - it does have a thicker consistency and there are some shrinkage issues, so it can affect texture more so than other topcoats. I find that the best way to minimize these effects is to stop fighting the thickness of the product - apply liberally, with as few strokes as possible, and don't try to go back and thin out the coat.

As for longevity, my manis never make it past 5 days no matter what I use, so I can't comment on this aspect. Pedis generally last 3 weeks before chipping.

I think I am going to return this.

After One Use-

PROS: It hardens completely in the recommended 5 minutes. The hardness is amazing- like nothing I've felt. Almost like a Hard Gel nail extension.

CONS:
I was able to dent it after the two minutes of curing under a UV LED lamp.
It cracked on the second day at the tip.
It's a tiny amount of polish for a ton of money... It had better last forever- wear wise. Alas- it did not.

Not worth the $$$.

This is the BEST top coat ever!! I love it with cream finish polishes the best because it seriously looks like I had gel nails done. It dries really fast and I don't have to worry about my nail polish getting all over the place. You have to let your actual nail polish to sit for at least 5 minutes then you can go ahead and put this top coat on. The other reviews I just don't believe any of them at all I've already repurchased this twice and my sister is also hooked on this too so I can tell you for sure this stuff works!

on 7/18/2014 11:40:00 PM

I wanted to like this product but honestly every drugstore top coat I've tried has worked far better then this overpriced option. It comes out very thick on the nails which actually causes the polish to chip easier. Worse then that it strips nail polish while being applied even after waiting as much as 10 minutes before putting it on.

on 5/23/2014 6:33:00 PM

Like others, I wanted to love this, but it totally disappoints.

This is great if you're in a time crunch and you need your nails to be dry in 5 minutes and look good for one day.

After that, you can forget it. It causes MAJOR shrinkage and it didn't even go 24 hours without a chip.

Not only that, but you have to apply it in a super thick coat or you will see brush strokes in it after it dries and hardens completely.

on 3/2/2014 1:22:00 AM

I was so ecited to use this. Thought it would be great and it was for a few hours. My nails looked nice and shiny and it dried nice and hard but my nails started chipping at the very top within a fe hours. I feel like my polish would have lasted longer without this.

on 1/21/2014 12:43:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium Brown, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other

Doesn't live up to promises or hype. It looks great at first but hardly lasts a week let alone a couple of days. I have used it as a topcoat for all my Julep polishes (10 different types/consistency/formulations) and it definitely seals the manicure of the thinner brighter polishes better, the ones that glide in easily, than it does for a thicker creme formula where I have found it to easily nick. Still on the hunt for the perfect topcoat to replace my old fave SV but thinking Butter London hardware is next to try! Overall 3 lippies.

on 7/23/2013 10:41:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

This is a great top coat. It is super super shinny and make my mani last a long time. BUT, and it's a really big BUT, i get major shrinkage. Like, the polish come of the tip on my nails, shrink and wrinkle. Every.time. It is really annoying, because my mani last a super long time but wrinkled and shrinked :(

It is also self leveling, and dry super quickly. I would really like to love it, but with the shrinkage and the price tag of 18$, i will not repurchase.

Oh and after maybe 2/3 of the bottle, it become really really goopy, and it cannot be saved with a thinner.

I will not repurchase.