Julep Freedom Polymer Top Coat

3.1

Ethyl Acetate, Butyl Acetate, MEK, Hydroxypropylcellulose, Isopropyl Alcohol.

on 8/31/2015 11:08:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

I got a mini bottle of this top coat from Sephora. I have used it for over twenty times and it is still going strong. I love it that the brush is flat and the packaging is sleek. This is probably the fastest drying top coat I have ever used and it does its job - it protects my nail polish and makes it last longer. No complaints. It is just a bit pricey but it does last a long time, so I can accept that.

on 8/5/2015 4:25:00 PM

Wow this top coat dries really fast! Also it does an excellent job of smoothing out bumpy glitter, and chip-proofing my mani as well. Doesn't cause shrinkage either. I really like this a lot.
My only complaint is that I don't care for the packaging, Julep's tall and narrow bottles seem like they just want to fall over. Black opaque glass too, so you can't see how much product is left.
But the product itself is excellent, I would buy this again. It could possibly be HG. There are other top coats that I want to try before I come back to this one (Essie Gel Setter, Sally Hansen Insta-Dri), but I had no problems with it and recommend it.

This is a pricey product ($18 for a tiny .27 oz bottle - smaller than how most brands package their polishes). I thought if it actually worked how it claimed to it would be worth it though. At first I thought it was amazing - it really does give that plush gel look. The directions say to wait for your polish to dry, use the top coat, then wait 5 mins, or hold it in front of a regular 60w light bulb (regular bulb - not a nail lamp) for 2 mins. I looked at my lamps and light fixtures and only had a 60w bulb in a light fixture on my ceiling so I actually used a ladder and held my hand up to that light bulb on the ceiling. It didn't dry as quick as stated but it was still pretty fast (about 15 mins and it was totally dry). It is super shiny and looked great at first. But a few hours later I got shrinkage on a few fingers. Then a few more hours later I got chips on a few fingers. And I had made sure to use a very thin coat. Usually my home manicures last a lot longer than that. I have tried it 4 times now and the shrinkage doesn't always happen but the same day chipping has happened every time. Also, by the next day the shine dulls and doesn't look the same. I have tried it with OPI, Julep, Dior, and Essie polishes. It always chips the same day. Definitely not repurchasing it.

on 10/31/2014 6:58:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

I have used this topcoat and one from European Secrets as they are similar gel like top coats. I find this topcoat works very well. However make sure your color polish is dry before applying...otherwise shrinkage can occur. I wait a full 5 minutes before I apply this topcoat. Work well with all the nail polish colors I use: OPI, China Glaze, Essie, Butter London and Deborah Lippmann. I assume it should play well with juleps own line as well.

It is pricey, so a reasonable dupe is the Rock Hard topcoat from European Secrets. That one you can and should apply over wet polish.

Back to Julep. Easy to apply, it's thick like seche vite. Doesn't need a light to cure. Will cure with sunlight or regular lightbulb. Really makes nails hard and durable just like a gel overlay minus the need to soak it off.

I like to use this on day 2 of my manicure to extend the life.

This is my go-to topcoat. In fact, I refuse to get a mani or pedi without it. This dries in 5 minutes flat - so I can confidently put my feet back into shoes or rummage through my purse knowing that my nails will not be ruined.

To be fair, I judge topcoats solely based on dry time - and I have not come across any other product with faster drying time, so this earns top marks in my books. However, this isn't without flaws - it does have a thicker consistency and there are some shrinkage issues, so it can affect texture more so than other topcoats. I find that the best way to minimize these effects is to stop fighting the thickness of the product - apply liberally, with as few strokes as possible, and don't try to go back and thin out the coat.

As for longevity, my manis never make it past 5 days no matter what I use, so I can't comment on this aspect. Pedis generally last 3 weeks before chipping.

I think I am going to return this.

After One Use-

PROS: It hardens completely in the recommended 5 minutes. The hardness is amazing- like nothing I've felt. Almost like a Hard Gel nail extension.

CONS:
I was able to dent it after the two minutes of curing under a UV LED lamp.
It cracked on the second day at the tip.
It's a tiny amount of polish for a ton of money... It had better last forever- wear wise. Alas- it did not.

Not worth the $$$.

This is the BEST top coat ever!! I love it with cream finish polishes the best because it seriously looks like I had gel nails done. It dries really fast and I don't have to worry about my nail polish getting all over the place. You have to let your actual nail polish to sit for at least 5 minutes then you can go ahead and put this top coat on. The other reviews I just don't believe any of them at all I've already repurchased this twice and my sister is also hooked on this too so I can tell you for sure this stuff works!

on 7/18/2014 11:40:00 PM

I wanted to like this product but honestly every drugstore top coat I've tried has worked far better then this overpriced option. It comes out very thick on the nails which actually causes the polish to chip easier. Worse then that it strips nail polish while being applied even after waiting as much as 10 minutes before putting it on.

on 5/23/2014 6:33:00 PM

Like others, I wanted to love this, but it totally disappoints.

This is great if you're in a time crunch and you need your nails to be dry in 5 minutes and look good for one day.

After that, you can forget it. It causes MAJOR shrinkage and it didn't even go 24 hours without a chip.

Not only that, but you have to apply it in a super thick coat or you will see brush strokes in it after it dries and hardens completely.

on 3/2/2014 1:22:00 AM

I was so ecited to use this. Thought it would be great and it was for a few hours. My nails looked nice and shiny and it dried nice and hard but my nails started chipping at the very top within a fe hours. I feel like my polish would have lasted longer without this.