Bare Escentuals Bare Minerals Original SPF15 Foundation

3.6

on 8/12/2015 8:27:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Well what can I say that haven't been said already about this legend among foundations. Bare Minerals Original foundation is a must-have in my make up bag, and a go to if I am late/lazy in the morning. So easy to apply and so effective. It is light weight, but it still evens my skin brilliantly and it is so kind to my acne prone complexion!

I use it in three ways:
1. On it's own with a touch of concealer, if I only want light, natural coverage.
2. As a base for heavier liquid foundation if I need better coverage for all day wear.
3. Or I apply a small amount as a powder, especially in the T-zone or problematic areas, after using a full coverage foundation, concealer and setting powder. This method I mainly use for evening/heavy coverage as it would be too heavy for day wear for me, but gives great results for evening out. Also if used with a SPF free liquid foundation it gives a nice gentle glow to the skin when photographed.

The only downsides I can think of it that I don't like to use it very much in the winter months as it feels very uncomfortable on my already dry winter skin, and the packaging isn't brilliant as I always have a little bit left in the pot that I can't get out before throwing it away.

I have been using it for almost two years, very frequently, and have bough two or three pots so far.

on 7/20/2015 12:33:00 PM

Absolutely love this foundation! I was completely new to mineral foundation and used to use Mac face and body which broke me out like crazy so I decided to switch, when I went to the counter I had red, horrible acne all over my face and then the lady put it on my face and my skin looked flawless, I even had a man in the street who told me I was beautiful! I really do love this foundation for a natural flawless look and it improved my skin so much so I recommend to anyone!

Skin: Sensitive, Medium Brown, Warm

Hair: Brown, Kinky, Coarse

I don't know why I waited so long to try this. Actually yes I do, it's on an infomercial, which is cheesy. And it's all hype about the "natural" "chemical free" nonsense. I never bought into that because not everything that's natural is good (think poison ivy), and not everything synthetic is bad.

But I got a sample in the mail with some other product and although it was the wrong color I was kinda intrigued by the texture. I have super dry sensitive rosacea skin (and I'm black) so even though I hate creams and liquids, powders were never an option because they suck all the little bit of moisture out of my skin and make it itch and flake off like dandruff by mid-morning. So I ran to the boutique and tried it out. I let the consultant put it on me and I left to look at it in natural light because so many times makeup looks good in the store and like a drag queen in sunlight.

I didn't even leave the mall and I went back for it. OMG I don't know how, but just a small amount of this covers up all my red blotchiness and doesn't look all fake. It's plenty of coverage without being masky. Seriously, I was showing my coworker and she said "what makeup? I don't see any makeup. Your skin looks clear and healthy though." I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE the satiny, slightly luminous finish that is exactly the way bare naturally healthy skin looks, not chalky dry like most powders.

The best thing is that I don't feel it on my face, which is the #1 reason I generally don't wear makeup daily, even if it looks good. I can't look pretty if I feel nasty. I even wear this on weekends.

I suspect that a lot of these bad reviews are clashes with other products. Sometimes when a product doesn't work well it's because of your moisturizer or concealer or whatever. Also, you have to closely follow the less is more, swirl, tap and buff instructions exactly or it won't work.

Anyway, it doesn't matter because for me, this is my holy grail. I know I've had holy grails before but that was because they looked nice, but this looks AND feels nice. I'm glad this has been around for so long, so it's not likely to be a fly by night like some other cosmetics lines.

on 7/6/2015 10:02:00 AM

Hair: Blond, Straight, Other

I've been using this foundation for about 2 and a half years, I love it, great coverage and light weight. However for the past 7 months or so I developed these bumps under my skin, I put to down to the implant that I had put it and thought it was hormonal as it couldn't be the foundation since Ive been using it for so many years. I've got really fed up of these bumps you can tell how bad they are in sunlight and it looks horrible it was all over my cheeks. Growing up I never had spots on my face, only 1 or 2 on the chin due to it being the time of the month. When I wore this foundation it looks cakey because of these bumps. I got fed up a week ago and started doing research, I even went to the bare minerals counter and asked for help and the lady told me that they make up is all natural and its not the foundation that I don't have a good skin care routine. Upon hours and hours of researching online I came to find out its the foundation. I stopped using this foundation a week ago, and have also been make up free and the bumps are slowly going away. I also realised that I was getting more spots on my chin then the usual 1 or 2 but also since I've stopped using this foundation they are clearing up.

I would not recommend this to anyone as it ruined my skin and I don't know what complications ill have in the future because of it. If your thinking of buying it please don't, its not worth it, it can really cause damage to your skin in the long run.

on 6/14/2015 9:18:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

This foundation looks great, evening out the complexion without looking like makeup. Best when applied over a primer, it has a luminous finish and has an SPF of 15. Powder foundations are convenient; quick to apply. The shaker container that houses the loose powder is secure and sturdy enough. The Original Foundation does tend to have a heavy feel after several hours if you have oily skin, and if you use it alone, without a primer, it does not hide pores. For oily skin I agree with other reviewers here who urge you to try the Matte foundation instead, which is formulated specifically for oily skin. Powder foundations in general are best for normal skin that leans slightly dry or slightly oily. Extremely dry skin types should apply a moisturizing primer underneath, and extremely oily types will probably need the oil control primer offered by this brand. I bought this in the Anniversary Set that came with the new complexion brush which was a good value. The old, natural hair brush felt scratchy. By contrast, this new all-synthetic fiber brush is very soft and resistant to bacteria. The brush alone retails for $32 and the set was on sale for $32 and included a full size powder in the shade of my choice, Fairly Light. The colors are realistic skin shades; there are shades that lean slightly cool or warm but it is easy for fair to medium skins to find a nice match, in fact sometimes you find two that will work. I could have easily bought the slightly more yellow Light color and been happy. My skin is highly sensitive and this mineral formula is non-irritating to me, which was the main reason for my purchase. If you prefer liquid foundations or tinted moisturizers, Bare Minerals Pure Brightening Serum is a good alternative to this product and so is Complexion Rescue Gel Cream with a light dusting of Mineral Veil finishing powder.

on 6/4/2015 11:23:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

I have been using this off and on for about 13 years,I'm surprised that some drugstore liquid foundations have a better rating than this.Some liquid foundations cause mild breakouts and this foundation does not even if I sleep in it.It gives my skin a healthy glow,u can adjust coverage from sheer to full. It can get a little cakey but nothing a good setting spray won't fix.If you have oily skin I'd choose the matte one. My forehead gets oily with this but I use a matte powder with no color for that.I prefer the original one,the matte was too matte for me. Looks smoother with Elf brushes than the bare mineral brushes which shed badly.

on 2/13/2015 12:25:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Nope, nope, noperson. This formula, the matte formula, and every other foundation by Bare Escentuals is harsh and irritating to my skin. I have oily, acne-prone (cystic), and very sensitive skin and this product causes atleast one bad booboo within 2 hours of application. There are definitely better mineral foundations out there, imo. Though, they do have a great selection of shades and you don't need to use much at all to get great coverage. I wish it worked for me, as it's convenient to use and always in stock at Ulta. If it works for you, then great! But if not, and you like minerals, give Pur Minerals or Everyday Minerals a try.

on 2/13/2015 8:43:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

I've had an ok experience with this foundation.
It's slightly dewy/shimmery but I didn't find that a major problem, I don't mind a bit of a dewy finish and I don't think it's over the top.
The powder is very finely milled which means it's easy to buff into the skin and isn't overly powdery. However, you need to use a lot to build medium to full coverage. It just doesn't cover blemishes easily. The finish isn't as refined as some other mineral foundations. So for me it's a bit of a "meh" product. It's ok. But not fantastic.

Which brings me to the ingredients. Bismuth Oxychloride. It's not a naturally occurring mineral, it can cause irritation & break outs for some. So, I'm not sold on this product. Don't get me wrong, it's ok, but not the best.

on 2/7/2015 3:22:00 PM

Definetely my go-to foundation for everyday! It gives such a flawless NATURAL looking finish and stays on all day! I never had to retouch it! It covers so beautifully and lasts you a long time! I always recommend it to my friends who end up falling in love with it too! Best mineral foundation out there in my opinion

on 1/6/2015 3:16:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I have been using this foundation for almost seven years. Throughout this time I have experimented on and off with other foundations--some I have liked and still keep on hand (MUFE Duo Mat for when I'm feeling lazy, Maybelline Dream Fresh BB for when my skin is dry) while others I have immediately returned or trashed (everything else)--but no matter what, I ALWAYS come back to my Bare Minerals original foundation.
It is clean, light, breathable, and non-irritating to me. I am very pale with neutral/yellow undertones, and I find Fairly Light a perfect match for my skin. The coverage is buildable, natural-looking, and comfortable. I top off with regular mineral veil and my makeup stays all day. What I like about this is that it gives a "my natural skin, just touched up a little" appearance. Not mask-like at all, and very transfer-resistant. It looks like I don't have any makeup on -- just really good skin. (Although it can be made to look full-coveragey with a good primer and a little more product.) I love that it barely has any ingredients and doesn't feel like it's "covering" my skin. Though I sometimes stray, I am NEVER without this. It is my go-to. I have loved this product longer than I have ever loved any other cosmetic product. Ever. Highly recommend!