Bare Escentuals Bare Minerals Original SPF15 Foundation

3.5

on 6/14/2015 9:18:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

This foundation looks great, evening out the complexion without looking like makeup. Best when applied over a primer, it has a luminous finish and has an SPF of 15. Powder foundations are convenient; quick to apply. The shaker container that houses the loose powder is secure and sturdy enough. The Original Foundation does tend to have a heavy feel after several hours if you have oily skin, and if you use it alone, without a primer, it does not hide pores. For oily skin I agree with other reviewers here who urge you to try the Matte foundation instead, which is formulated specifically for oily skin. Powder foundations in general are best for normal skin that leans slightly dry or slightly oily. Extremely dry skin types should apply a moisturizing primer underneath, and extremely oily types will probably need the oil control primer offered by this brand. I bought this in the Anniversary Set that came with the new complexion brush which was a good value. The old, natural hair brush felt scratchy. By contrast, this new all-synthetic fiber brush is very soft and resistant to bacteria. The brush alone retails for $32 and the set was on sale for $32 and included a full size powder in the shade of my choice, Fairly Light. The colors are realistic skin shades; there are shades that lean slightly cool or warm but it is easy for fair to medium skins to find a nice match, in fact sometimes you find two that will work. I could have easily bought the slightly more yellow Light color and been happy. My skin is highly sensitive and this mineral formula is non-irritating to me, which was the main reason for my purchase. If you prefer liquid foundations or tinted moisturizers, Bare Minerals Pure Brightening Serum is a good alternative to this product and so is Complexion Rescue Gel Cream with a light dusting of Mineral Veil finishing powder.

on 6/4/2015 11:23:00 PM

I have been using this off and on for about 13 years,I'm surprised that some drugstore liquid foundations have a better rating than this.Some liquid foundations cause mild breakouts and this foundation does not even if I sleep in it.It gives my skin a healthy glow,u can adjust coverage from sheer to full. It can get a little cakey but nothing a good setting spray won't fix.If you have oily skin I'd choose the matte one. My forehead gets oily with this but I use a matte powder with no color for that.I prefer the original one,the matte was too matte for me. Looks smoother with Elf brushes than the bare mineral brushes which shed badly.

on 2/13/2015 12:25:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Nope, nope, noperson. This formula, the matte formula, and every other foundation by Bare Escentuals is harsh and irritating to my skin. I have oily, acne-prone (cystic), and very sensitive skin and this product causes atleast one bad booboo within 2 hours of application. There are definitely better mineral foundations out there, imo. Though, they do have a great selection of shades and you don't need to use much at all to get great coverage. I wish it worked for me, as it's convenient to use and always in stock at Ulta. If it works for you, then great! But if not, and you like minerals, give Pur Minerals or Everyday Minerals a try.

on 2/13/2015 8:43:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

I've had an ok experience with this foundation.
It's slightly dewy/shimmery but I didn't find that a major problem, I don't mind a bit of a dewy finish and I don't think it's over the top.
The powder is very finely milled which means it's easy to buff into the skin and isn't overly powdery. However, you need to use a lot to build medium to full coverage. It just doesn't cover blemishes easily. The finish isn't as refined as some other mineral foundations. So for me it's a bit of a "meh" product. It's ok. But not fantastic.

Which brings me to the ingredients. Bismuth Oxychloride. It's not a naturally occurring mineral, it can cause irritation & break outs for some. So, I'm not sold on this product. Don't get me wrong, it's ok, but not the best.

on 2/7/2015 3:22:00 PM

Definetely my go-to foundation for everyday! It gives such a flawless NATURAL looking finish and stays on all day! I never had to retouch it! It covers so beautifully and lasts you a long time! I always recommend it to my friends who end up falling in love with it too! Best mineral foundation out there in my opinion

on 1/6/2015 3:16:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I have been using this foundation for almost seven years. Throughout this time I have experimented on and off with other foundations--some I have liked and still keep on hand (MUFE Duo Mat for when I'm feeling lazy, Maybelline Dream Fresh BB for when my skin is dry) while others I have immediately returned or trashed (everything else)--but no matter what, I ALWAYS come back to my Bare Minerals original foundation.
It is clean, light, breathable, and non-irritating to me. I am very pale with neutral/yellow undertones, and I find Fairly Light a perfect match for my skin. The coverage is buildable, natural-looking, and comfortable. I top off with regular mineral veil and my makeup stays all day. What I like about this is that it gives a "my natural skin, just touched up a little" appearance. Not mask-like at all, and very transfer-resistant. It looks like I don't have any makeup on -- just really good skin. (Although it can be made to look full-coveragey with a good primer and a little more product.) I love that it barely has any ingredients and doesn't feel like it's "covering" my skin. Though I sometimes stray, I am NEVER without this. It is my go-to. I have loved this product longer than I have ever loved any other cosmetic product. Ever. Highly recommend!

on 1/3/2015 12:45:00 AM

MY HOLY GRAIL! This will forever be my favorite foundation. It gives great coverage paired up with primer and concealer. Looks and feels like you're wearing nothing but your skin is completely FLAWLESS!

on 12/28/2014 12:00:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

I am NC20 and use Fairly Light. I can get away with Fair in winter, combined with blush. Fantastic stuff, as is the matte version. I use this when l want a more glowy look than the matte, or it's winter, when my skin is drier. I credit bm fdns with majorley helping to clear my skin. When l get hot l do get bismuth itchiness, but it goes away when l cool down. It doesn't leave my skin feeling as smooth on removal as the matte formula, but l love the simplicity of the ingredients. It photographs really well, despite the SPF 15.
I have occasionally experienced that disco-ball effect other reviewers mention. That happens when you use too much product and haven't swirled it around the lid enough. It also happens if your skin or brushes are a bit damp.
As l'm oily l can only use it under primer with loose powder on top. No smell, and available in an economical large size from QVC UK.

on 12/22/2014 12:40:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

I've tried a ton of foundations (liquid and powder, luxury and drugstore) and this is still my favorite. I always come back to this.

I wear Fairly Light in the original formula. For reference, I am NW 20 in Mac.

When I worked for Bare Escentuals, the most common complaint I got with this foundation is that it settles, it can look cakey and it sometimes just vanishes.

When you tap the product into the lid, less is more. There should be such a small amount of product in the lid that you'd swear it won't provide any coverage. Think of the cinnamon sprinkles on top of a latte -- and then use even less than that. That amount will cover one side of your face.

What we tend to do with this kind of foundation (or at least what I'm guilty of!) is this: We swipe our brush into the product, buff it on -- there's not enough coverage and redness is still showing through. So we swipe more product, slap it on...still don't have enough coverage, so we pick up some MORE product. By then the foundation looks heavy and terrible, and within an hour or so, it's slid off your face and you're left with nothing.

Instead of spending three or four minutes doing what I outlined above, what you want to do is spend that same amount of time buffing in a very small amount. This foundation actually works by virtue of truly buffing it in, not by adding more product. If you need more coverage, go back for a little more but on the second layer, again, less is more and keep buffing. Most of the time when I provided lessons for clients in the BE boutique, their foundation pot lasted them almost a year -- or four to five months for the women that used more for total coverage.

So you want to tap a teeny amount into the lid, and buff-buff-buff. You may have a brush that came with your foundation if you bought a starter kit but honestly, I don't think it matters. If you want light coverage, the fluffy Real Techniques powder brush is great with this foundation. If you want fuller coverage, just use any brush that has tightly packed dense bristles such as the Real Techniques buffing brush.

As for concealing, Bare Minerals sells a separate concealer but I don't think you need it. In fact, one of the reasons I enjoy this foundation is that I don't need any concealer with it (aside from the Maybelline Fit Me, which I use under my eyes). I'm talking about concealer for acne, redness or in my case, Rosacea on my cheeks. Using any dense concealer brush, pick up a tiny amount of your BE foundation and stamp it over your redness or blemishes. You'll want to do this before you use the foundation all over and by doing this, you'll need even less foundation all over because your complexion is already evened out. This foundation actually works REALLY well as a concealer (except for undereyes).

The only other tips I have are as follows.

* Whether or not you use a primer is up to you. Personally, I don't. But after you moisturize and prime, give it a few minutes before you buff on your foundation. Most foundations will separate or go on a little patchy if your skin has any lingering moisture or stickiness and I've found that this is especially true with BE. Two minutes should be enough time in between.

* Set your BE foundation with whatever powder of your choice. Sometimes I use the BE Mineral Veil and sometimes I use Physician's Formula -- whatever I have on hand. If you want a glowy appearance, just set it lightly in the T Zone.

* If you're prone to getting oily, I would probably refer you to the Matte formula of this foundation. Likewise, if the mica or bismuth in this foundation makes you feel itchy or irritated, the Matte formula contains no mica.

* This is definitely a foundation that looks better once it settles. Even after doing what I outlined above, it still might look a little powdery or cakey. Glance at yourself about an hour later, that's when it'll look perfect.

I think that about covers it! Sorry this post was so long! Hope it helps someone!

on 11/27/2014 5:18:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral

NOT OBSESSED WITH THIS. Really.

Like many others here, I'm not crazy about the irisdescent sheen it gives off.

I don't know if I'm the only one who experiences this, but after a few hours of wear, the foundation cakes, and even,,,shifts??! I can see it literally migrating to other areas of my face, picking up and amplifying dry patches.

I have crazy combo skin (greasy around my T-zone and under-eye cheek area), and my nose can get pretty flaky, so I really didn't appreciate the splotchy look I had after a couple of hours. I'd touch it up, but it'll only thicken the foundation and make it look cake-ier.

Because of my oily skin, it oxidises quite a bit too. This is great for me because I happened to get it in a shade lighter, but I don't think everybody would appreciate this colour-changing trick.

I desperately wanted to love this product, I have friends who rave about it all the time. But it didn't work for me at all :( Maybe I'll try the matte version next time. Seems like it has slightly better reviews too.