December 22, 2014 | 1740 users online

Powder - Bare Escentuals - Bare Minerals Original SPF15 Foundation

rated 5 of 5 on 12/22/2014 12:40:00 PM More reviews by JoeyRCB

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I've tried a ton of foundations (liquid and powder, luxury and drugstore) and this is still my go to favorite. I always come back to this.

I wear Fairly Light in the original formula. For reference, I am NW 20 in Mac.

When I worked for Bare Escentuals, the most common complaint I got with this foundation is that it settles, it can look cakey and it sometimes just vanishes.

When you tap the product into the lid, less is more. There should be such a small amount of product in the lid that you'd swear it isn't going to provide any coverage what so ever. Think of the cinnamon sprinkles on top of a latte -- and then use even less than that. That amount will cover one side of your face.

What we tend to do with this kind of foundation (or at least what I'm guilty of!) is this: We swipe our brush into the product, buff it on -- there's not nearly enough coverage and all the redness is still coming through. So we swipe more product onto the brush, slap it on... and you can still see the redness on your cheeks, still don't have enough coverage, so we pick up some MORE, slap it on, et. By then the foundation looks heavy and terrible, and within an hour or so it's slid off your face and you're left with nothing.

OK, so instead of spending three or four minutes doing what I just outlined above, what you want to do is spend that same amount of time buffing in a TINY amount. Once you do that, you can go back in for another teensy amount and add more if you need more coverage. This foundation actually works by virtue of truly buffing it in, not by adding more product. Most of the time when I provided lessons for clients in the BE boutique, their foundation pot lasted them almost a year -- or four to five months for the women that used more for total-full coverage.

So you just want to tap a teeny amount into the lid, and buff-buff-buff. You may have a brush that came with your foundation if you bought a starter kit but honestly, I don't think it matters. If you want very light coverage, the fluffy Real Techniques powder brush is great with this foundation. If you want fuller coverage, just use any brush that has tightly packed denser bristles -- the Real Techniques buffing brush is one example of this kind of brush.

As for concealing, Bare Minerals sells a separate concealer but I don't think you need it. In fact, one of the reasons I enjoy this foundation is that I don't need any concealer with it (aside from the Maybelline Fit Me, which I use under my eyes). I'm talking about concealer for acne, redness or in my case, Rosacea on my cheeks. Using any good dense concealer brush (the kind that look like flat paint brushes), pick up a tiny amount of your BE foundation. Now "stamp" it over your redness or blemishes. You'll want to do this before you use the foundation all over and by doing this, you'll need even less foundation all over because your complexion is already evened out. This foundation actually works REALLY well as a concealer (except for undereyes).

The only other tips I have are as follows.

1. Whether or not you use a primer is up to you. Personally, I don't. But after you moisturize and prime, give it a few minutes before you buff on your foundation. Most foundations will separate or go on a little patchy if your skin has any lingering moisture or stickiness and I've found that this is especially true with BE. Two minutes should be enough time in between.

2. Set your BE foundation with whatever powder of your choice. Sometimes I use the BE Mineral Veil and sometimes I use Physician's Formula -- whatever I have on hand. If you want a "glowy" appearance, just set it lightly in the T Zone.

3. If you're prone to getting oily, I would probably refer you to the Matte formula of this foundation. Likewise, if the mica in this foundation makes you feel itchy or irritated, the Matte formula contains no mica.

4. This is definitely a foundation that looks better once it "settles." Even after doing what I outlined above, it still might look a little powdery or cakey. Glance at yourself about an hour later, that's when it'll look perfect.

I think that about covers it! Sorry this post was so long! Hope it helps someone!

rated 2 of 5 on 11/27/2014 5:18:00 AM More reviews by qlassik

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

NOT OBSESSED WITH THIS. Really.

Like many others here, I'm not crazy about the irisdescent sheen it gives off.

I don't know if I'm the only one who experiences this, but after a few hours of wear, the foundation cakes, and even,,,shifts??! I can see it literally migrating to other areas of my face, picking up and amplifying dry patches.

I have crazy combo skin (greasy around my T-zone and under-eye cheek area), and my nose can get pretty flaky, so I really didn't appreciate the splotchy look I had after a couple of hours. I'd touch it up, but it'll only thicken the foundation and make it look cake-ier.

Because of my oily skin, it oxidises quite a bit too. This is great for me because I happened to get it in a shade lighter, but I don't think everybody would appreciate this colour-changing trick.

I desperately wanted to love this product, I have friends who rave about it all the time. But it didn't work for me at all :( Maybe I'll try the matte version next time. Seems like it has slightly better reviews too.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/9/2014 1:34:00 AM More reviews by whatthehype

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Medium Eyes: Black

I have had great experience with this foundation. I watched fromheadtotoe do a video about it and learnt her techniques on applying it. I really believe that the application does affect the result of the foundation. I use real techniques buffing brush and deluxe crease brush to apply it to my skin. I have dry skin but since Ive been very good with my skincare I havent experienced flakey patchy skin.

The foundation is dewy but I cant see any glitter or sparkle in the foundation but has a highlight sheen finish if you apply too much at once like the mac msf finish. You have to make sure you apply little and layer more until you are satified. Less is really more with this foundation.

The coverage is light to medium but using a dense crease brush you can apply extra to areas or discoloration like a concealer to avoid caking your face up.

I am extremely happy with the ingredients it doesnt include which means you can use it daily without worrying about the effects and I heard that it has improved peoples skin but I dont have much problem but redness and couperose which it covers quite well and better than Mac face and body. Since buying this I havent used my Mac face and body that I use to rave about.

If you have dry skin make sure you moisturise well and let it soak in before applying and apply little by little and buff it in well for an unnoticable natural result. I really think watching the fromheadtotoe video really helps if you have problem with caking on foundation.

If i had to say a negative on this is that although they improved the packaging which i love the edge of the lid can trap some foundation in it which means when you come to close the lip it can fall out and I noticed that my makeup bag has alittle bit of powder which I cant figure out how it comes out from but this is very little. Also I am very yellow and all the foundation i use Im warm and yellow but in the range the yellow is very yellow for me and the fair(pink) matches me more.

Also make sure you apply with a DENSE brush. It works better than a big fluffy brush.

And the girls working at Mecca were trying it on me with the bare minerals brush it camw with and at first I had to say i wasnt impressed. It looked very drying and powdery and so I wasnt sure if I wanted it so i walked off but while I was shopping the foundation sinked in well and became very natural and I was super impressed I walked back in and bought it straight away!

rated 5 of 5 on 10/5/2014 3:40:00 PM More reviews by tintiite

I decided to give BE a try as I have light rosacea around my nose and I always have felt that traditional foundation is not for me. Even not being a fan of powders and after reading comments that BE foundations look cakey after applied, I still wanted to try it as the starter kit seemed to have an agreeable price and so far I had a good experience with BE mascaras (curl & length cappuccino mascara is wonderful!).

Result? I am amazed by this product! And it really is all about buffing. In the beginning it was hard to get used to that because I had a feeling that the application brush was empty and I couldn't believe that so few product is necessary (I used to need quite a lot of classic liquid foundation to even out my complexion). But certainly not - after continuing to buff for a little while my skin suddenly became flawless like magic! In comparison with classic foundations this feels like nothing would be on my face and what's more - it looks radiant. This foundation also works great as concealer that also was a surprise for me. And - it stays for whole day.

I am glad I dared to try it despite the bad reviews and that I don't like powders in general. My rosacea is practically gone and I finally enjoy putting makeup on my face!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 10/2/2014 2:55:00 PM More reviews by Cammmi

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I thin kit has a nice coverage but I don't like the slightly shiny effect on the skin. It enphasize the texture of the skin and makes it look cakey. I will use it up but I prefer something like Mac studio fix.

rated 1 of 5 on 9/25/2014 1:31:00 PM More reviews by luusk1125

This mineral foundation comes in a lockable shifter jar. For the foundation it has shimmers and little to no coverage plus make you look shinny. It contain lauyol lysine which a dervivative of (coconut oil) and bismuth oxycloride which is a carcinogen. The way to apply this foundation is to tap and buff, buffing it helps warm up to lauyol lysine so it can melt into the skin. Bismuth oxycloride is a irritant and can cause itchyness/breakouts....... Those who breakout from using coconut oil or have super sensitive skin which is acne prone should avoid this foundation. The matte version is not better it still contains lauyol lyisine(coconut oil). This matte formula will cause the skin to become dry/dehydrated which causes the skin to product more oil to compensate for the dryness. It also oxidized when you start to get oily making it look very pink or orange. It hard to get an even coverage if you have dry skin or combination dry skin. It cling to dry patches and doesn't cover redness or evenout the skin. Avoid this foundation if you have dry flacky patchy redness acne ezcema dermatitis fine lines........ cakey and does not adhear to the skin fine crumbles flakes off and balls up.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/13/2014 12:07:00 AM More reviews by avysaur

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I just recently got this foundation, and even though my skin isn't very flawed or anything. I got it in the lightest shade with a neutral undertone and it fits the shade of my skin PERFECTLY. First time that's every happened, and I'm hoping that won't change when Winter comes but I don't think it will.
This is my first mineral makeup purchase and so far, its great and I use the ELF powder brush to apply it and some palladio rice powder to set it then spray it with the ELF mist and set. So far so good.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 8/29/2014 12:19:00 AM More reviews by lushlife505

I do not care for the weird metallic/ shimmer? that this has in it. I can see it on the skin when ever someone is wearing it and I do not think it is flattering at all. Also their foundations for some reason cause my skin to increase oil production and it takes a while to calm it back down. Out of their foundations I do find this to be the worst.

rated 3 of 5 on 8/10/2014 3:56:00 AM More reviews by LilMissMatched

I hate the wierd, iradescent sheen this gives me, almost like a shimmer. Frickin hate it. Love the formula, love the Matte version, but my face is far too oily and my skin far too flawed to appreciate whatever off-putting junk they put in the Original that makes my face look like a damn disco ball, I'll stick to bareMinerals Matte.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/1/2014 10:02:00 PM More reviews by lexipain

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This product is fabulous if you live in a hot humid climate. I live in south Texas and this is the only foundation I have found that doesn't melt. I have been using this foundation for a couple of years so far. I did have to watch the online videos to get the application procedure down. I really like the coverage and the color selection is really nice.