Bare Escentuals Bare Minerals Original SPF15 Foundation

3.5

on 2/13/2015 12:25:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Nope, nope, noperson. This formula, the matte formula, and every other foundation by Bare Escentuals is harsh and irritating to my skin. I have oily, acne-prone (cystic), and very sensitive skin and this product causes atleast one bad booboo within 2 hours of application. There are definitely better mineral foundations out there, imo. Though, they do have a great selection of shades and you don't need to use much at all to get great coverage. I wish it worked for me, as it's convenient to use and always in stock at Ulta. If it works for you, then great! But if not, and you like minerals, give Pur Minerals or Everyday Minerals a try.

on 2/13/2015 8:43:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

I've had an ok experience with this foundation.
It's slightly dewy/shimmery but I didn't find that a major problem, I don't mind a bit of a dewy finish and I don't think it's over the top.
The powder is very finely milled which means it's easy to buff into the skin and isn't overly powdery. However, you need to use a lot to build medium to full coverage. It just doesn't cover blemishes easily. The finish isn't as refined as some other mineral foundations. So for me it's a bit of a "meh" product. It's ok. But not fantastic.

Which brings me to the ingredients. Bismuth Oxychloride. It's not a naturally occurring mineral, it can cause irritation & break outs for some. So, I'm not sold on this product. Don't get me wrong, it's ok, but not the best.

on 2/7/2015 3:22:00 PM

Definetely my go-to foundation for everyday! It gives such a flawless NATURAL looking finish and stays on all day! I never had to retouch it! It covers so beautifully and lasts you a long time! I always recommend it to my friends who end up falling in love with it too! Best mineral foundation out there in my opinion

on 1/6/2015 3:16:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I have been using this foundation for almost seven years. Throughout this time I have experimented on and off with other foundations--some I have liked and still keep on hand (MUFE Duo Mat for when I'm feeling lazy, Maybelline Dream Fresh BB for when my skin is dry) while others I have immediately returned or trashed (everything else)--but no matter what, I ALWAYS come back to my Bare Minerals original foundation.
It is clean, light, breathable, and non-irritating to me. I am very pale with neutral/yellow undertones, and I find Fairly Light a perfect match for my skin. The coverage is buildable, natural-looking, and comfortable. I top off with regular mineral veil and my makeup stays all day. What I like about this is that it gives a "my natural skin, just touched up a little" appearance. Not mask-like at all, and very transfer-resistant. It looks like I don't have any makeup on -- just really good skin. (Although it can be made to look full-coveragey with a good primer and a little more product.) I love that it barely has any ingredients and doesn't feel like it's "covering" my skin. Though I sometimes stray, I am NEVER without this. It is my go-to. I have loved this product longer than I have ever loved any other cosmetic product. Ever. Highly recommend!

on 1/3/2015 12:45:00 AM

MY HOLY GRAIL! This will forever be my favorite foundation. It gives great coverage paired up with primer and concealer. Looks and feels like you're wearing nothing but your skin is completely FLAWLESS!

on 12/28/2014 12:00:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

I am NC20 and use Fairly Light. I can get away with Fair in winter, combined with blush. Fantastic stuff, as is the matte version. I use this when l want a more glowy look than the matte, or it's winter, when my skin is drier. I credit bm fdns with majorley helping to clear my skin. When l get hot l do get bismuth itchiness, but it goes away when l cool down. It doesn't leave my skin feeling as smooth on removal as the matte formula, but l love the simplicity of the ingredients. It photographs really well, despite the SPF 15.
I have occasionally experienced that disco-ball effect other reviewers mention. That happens when you use too much product and haven't swirled it around the lid enough. It also happens if your skin or brushes are a bit damp.
As l'm oily l can only use it under primer with loose powder on top. No smell, and available in an economical large size from QVC UK.

on 12/22/2014 12:40:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

I've tried a ton of foundations (liquid and powder, luxury and drugstore) and this is still my favorite. I always come back to this.

I wear Fairly Light in the original formula. For reference, I am NW 20 in Mac.

When I worked for Bare Escentuals, the most common complaint I got with this foundation is that it settles, it can look cakey and it sometimes just vanishes.

When you tap the product into the lid, less is more. There should be such a small amount of product in the lid that you'd swear it won't provide any coverage. Think of the cinnamon sprinkles on top of a latte -- and then use even less than that. That amount will cover one side of your face.

What we tend to do with this kind of foundation (or at least what I'm guilty of!) is this: We swipe our brush into the product, buff it on -- there's not enough coverage and redness is still showing through. So we swipe more product, slap it on...still don't have enough coverage, so we pick up some MORE product. By then the foundation looks heavy and terrible, and within an hour or so, it's slid off your face and you're left with nothing.

Instead of spending three or four minutes doing what I outlined above, what you want to do is spend that same amount of time buffing in a very small amount. This foundation actually works by virtue of truly buffing it in, not by adding more product. If you need more coverage, go back for a little more but on the second layer, again, less is more and keep buffing. Most of the time when I provided lessons for clients in the BE boutique, their foundation pot lasted them almost a year -- or four to five months for the women that used more for total coverage.

So you want to tap a teeny amount into the lid, and buff-buff-buff. You may have a brush that came with your foundation if you bought a starter kit but honestly, I don't think it matters. If you want light coverage, the fluffy Real Techniques powder brush is great with this foundation. If you want fuller coverage, just use any brush that has tightly packed dense bristles such as the Real Techniques buffing brush.

As for concealing, Bare Minerals sells a separate concealer but I don't think you need it. In fact, one of the reasons I enjoy this foundation is that I don't need any concealer with it (aside from the Maybelline Fit Me, which I use under my eyes). I'm talking about concealer for acne, redness or in my case, Rosacea on my cheeks. Using any dense concealer brush, pick up a tiny amount of your BE foundation and stamp it over your redness or blemishes. You'll want to do this before you use the foundation all over and by doing this, you'll need even less foundation all over because your complexion is already evened out. This foundation actually works REALLY well as a concealer (except for undereyes).

The only other tips I have are as follows.

* Whether or not you use a primer is up to you. Personally, I don't. But after you moisturize and prime, give it a few minutes before you buff on your foundation. Most foundations will separate or go on a little patchy if your skin has any lingering moisture or stickiness and I've found that this is especially true with BE. Two minutes should be enough time in between.

* Set your BE foundation with whatever powder of your choice. Sometimes I use the BE Mineral Veil and sometimes I use Physician's Formula -- whatever I have on hand. If you want a glowy appearance, just set it lightly in the T Zone.

* If you're prone to getting oily, I would probably refer you to the Matte formula of this foundation. Likewise, if the mica or bismuth in this foundation makes you feel itchy or irritated, the Matte formula contains no mica.

* This is definitely a foundation that looks better once it settles. Even after doing what I outlined above, it still might look a little powdery or cakey. Glance at yourself about an hour later, that's when it'll look perfect.

I think that about covers it! Sorry this post was so long! Hope it helps someone!

on 11/27/2014 5:18:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral

NOT OBSESSED WITH THIS. Really.

Like many others here, I'm not crazy about the irisdescent sheen it gives off.

I don't know if I'm the only one who experiences this, but after a few hours of wear, the foundation cakes, and even,,,shifts??! I can see it literally migrating to other areas of my face, picking up and amplifying dry patches.

I have crazy combo skin (greasy around my T-zone and under-eye cheek area), and my nose can get pretty flaky, so I really didn't appreciate the splotchy look I had after a couple of hours. I'd touch it up, but it'll only thicken the foundation and make it look cake-ier.

Because of my oily skin, it oxidises quite a bit too. This is great for me because I happened to get it in a shade lighter, but I don't think everybody would appreciate this colour-changing trick.

I desperately wanted to love this product, I have friends who rave about it all the time. But it didn't work for me at all :( Maybe I'll try the matte version next time. Seems like it has slightly better reviews too.

on 10/9/2014 1:34:00 AM

Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Medium

I have had great experience with this foundation. I watched fromheadtotoe do a video about it and learnt her techniques on applying it. I really believe that the application does affect the result of the foundation. I use real techniques buffing brush and deluxe crease brush to apply it to my skin. I have dry skin but since Ive been very good with my skincare I havent experienced flakey patchy skin.

The foundation is dewy but I cant see any glitter or sparkle in the foundation but has a highlight sheen finish if you apply too much at once like the mac msf finish. You have to make sure you apply little and layer more until you are satified. Less is really more with this foundation.

The coverage is light to medium but using a dense crease brush you can apply extra to areas or discoloration like a concealer to avoid caking your face up.

I am extremely happy with the ingredients it doesnt include which means you can use it daily without worrying about the effects and I heard that it has improved peoples skin but I dont have much problem but redness and couperose which it covers quite well and better than Mac face and body. Since buying this I havent used my Mac face and body that I use to rave about.

If you have dry skin make sure you moisturise well and let it soak in before applying and apply little by little and buff it in well for an unnoticable natural result. I really think watching the fromheadtotoe video really helps if you have problem with caking on foundation.

If i had to say a negative on this is that although they improved the packaging which i love the edge of the lid can trap some foundation in it which means when you come to close the lip it can fall out and I noticed that my makeup bag has alittle bit of powder which I cant figure out how it comes out from but this is very little. Also I am very yellow and all the foundation i use Im warm and yellow but in the range the yellow is very yellow for me and the fair(pink) matches me more.

Also make sure you apply with a DENSE brush. It works better than a big fluffy brush.

And the girls working at Mecca were trying it on me with the bare minerals brush it camw with and at first I had to say i wasnt impressed. It looked very drying and powdery and so I wasnt sure if I wanted it so i walked off but while I was shopping the foundation sinked in well and became very natural and I was super impressed I walked back in and bought it straight away!

on 10/5/2014 3:40:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other

I decided to give BE a try as I have light rosacea around my nose and I always have felt that traditional foundation is not for me. Even not being a fan of powders and after reading comments that BE foundations look cakey after applied, I still wanted to try it as the starter kit seemed to have an agreeable price and so far I had a good experience with BE mascaras (curl & length cappuccino mascara is wonderful!).

Result? I am amazed by this product! And it really is all about buffing. In the beginning it was hard to get used to that because I had a feeling that the application brush was empty and I couldn't believe that so few product is necessary (I used to need quite a lot of classic liquid foundation to even out my complexion). But certainly not - after continuing to buff for a little while my skin suddenly became flawless like magic! In comparison with classic foundations this feels like nothing would be on my face and what's more - it looks radiant. This foundation also works great as concealer that also was a surprise for me. And - it stays for whole day.

I am glad I dared to try it despite the bad reviews and that I don't like powders in general. My rosacea is practically gone and I finally enjoy putting makeup on my face!