April 20, 2014 | 930 users online

Tinted Moisturizer - Shiseido - Urban Environment UV Protection SPF43

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/17/2013 2:41:00 AM More reviews by Scott77

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Tan, Cool Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Black

A lot like the BB cream by Shiseido, but higher SPF and a wider choice of shades.

Pros:
Great SPF protection
Not greasy but not too matte, therefore not flat.
Great for canceling out the white cast when used over a physical block sunscreen.
Looks natural.

Cons:
None

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 10/16/2013 2:47:00 PM More reviews by izzybella

Age: Unknown Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Can't say that I'm thrilled with this tinted moisturizer. It smells strongly of sunblock and fragrance. The fragrance I don't mind, but the sunblock scent gets old after a while and it lingers. This feels heavy on the skin and covers some imperfections but not all. You will definitely need a concealer but it does even out the skin somewhat. I wore shade 2 which was a pretty good color match for my skin. I like that this has a SPF of 43, although I could see this getting suffocatingly greasy in really hot weather. Also, it seems to make my skin itch. For reference I wear MAC NC25-30 and NARS Punjab.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 9/20/2013 4:22:00 PM More reviews by ilymed2

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

Thrilled to try after reading the reviews and the high (for tinted moisturizer) spf. Shade 2 was ok for my summer skin, maybe a tad too dark and yellow. Product settled into my pores and was splotchy within an hour. Also gave my skin a shiny appearance, which is not the same as the fresh, dewy look I prefer. Really wanted this product to work, but my skin looks better with sunblock alone as opposed to this tinted moisturizer.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/18/2013 3:43:00 PM More reviews by hollyms

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Possibly Shiseido's best product. A wonderful TM that glides on so smoothly and feels and looks great. Just perfect if that's what you're looking for.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/11/2013 3:12:00 PM More reviews by sweetpea55

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I really love this TM. In an age where theres BBs, CCs, DDS - you get the picture, I find this refreshingly simple and perfect. Love the sleep packaging, love that it has the Urban Defense properties (antioxidants, etc), perfect coverage for summer, and a higher than normal SPF. I wore "Light" in Clinque's CC (which I returned - love this much more) and found Medium to be perfect. I'm almost out but will be repurchasing; worth every penny.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/2/2013 12:30:00 PM More reviews by SorceressOfTheDark

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

Love, love, love this product. After a search for using others, purchasing another brand I originally used and liked, a Sephora SA threw this in my bag to try in #1 (Fair). I am already using Shiseido's Urban Environment as a sunscreen and love it for a variety of reasons, so I guess he figured he'd have me try this one to see how it worked for me. I wound up returning the other and purchasing this one, that's how much I liked the way it felt on my skin.
The color blends beautifully for me. I definitely believe that with BB creams you must try them on and wear them for a day to see if they are a match for your skin color. It seems companies don't have a huge color selection. However, at least Shiseido has three to choose from and the colors are not on the gray side with an ashen look to them. I am fair (Estee Lauder Linen, Clinique 04) and Urban Environment's Fair #1 suits my skin perfectly.
I like that the spf rating is 43, that's extremely important to me. I wear this all day before I take it off and have absolutely no problem with using it as my foundation. I do use Shiseido's sun protection eye cream also because I believe added protection around the eyes is important. If I know I'm going to be out in the sun for any prolonged period of time, I will also put on my regular Urban Environment first to cover my face. Then I use the tinted Urban Environment as a foundation type product to give my skin an all around glow and dewy, matte finish, which this product gives me. If it's overkill with sun protection, that's ok by me. I don't want a tan anyway. I know that's it working because when I go out in the sun (even just walking my dogs), because later that night I'll notice some freckles will appear around my nose area if the spf isn't high enough or the sunscreen hasn't worked on a particular product. That has never happened with Urban Environment for me.
It goes on smoothly. I've used a foundation brush, a cosmetic wedge and my fingers to apply it. All methods work easily enough. I couldn't believe it still blends using my fingers, but it does. That's certainly the lazy way out for me, but it made me even happier with my purchase. I do use a setting powder on top and frankly, it's a nice, natural finish that's not overdone. If I wanted, I could go heavier and have more coverage. That is an option.
It doesn't feel overly thick after I apply it as some other BB creams with a higher spf have felt. It actually feels very light on my skin. Urban Environment doesn't have an odor of some of the sunscreen moisturizer products that I've used in past from well-known companies, either. Removing it is pretty easy. I use one of my oils such as apricot kernel/coconut/hazelnut first and then my regular cleanser to wash my face and it's removed. But that's how I take off my regular make-up. So to me, it's easy to remove. Also, as far as moisturizing, I do use my regular serum/moisturizer/eye cream first before I apply any type of sunscreen product. I believe in full steps whenever you apply and remove products from your skin if you want to retain and protect it. Abuse it when you're young and it will show later. The extra few minutes you spend daily are worth it in the long run.
Below is from Shiseido's site:
"Contains SuperVeil-UV 360™ offering comprehensive protection of the skin's surface and Profense CEL™ protects cells and DNA and helps inhibit enzyme activity, which are the causes of wrinkles and uneven skin tone.
Thiotaurine and Rose Apple Leaf Extract are effective in inhibiting oxidation caused by external environmental factors."

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 5/30/2013 9:09:00 AM More reviews by hwnpunch

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Other, Medium Eyes: Brown

I've been wearing Shiseido Sunscreen for a long time and usually for every day wear I make my own tinted version by mixing some Dr Hauschka bronzing lotion and maybe a drop of foundation if I feel the need for extra coverage. I saw this in Sephora and asked for a sample just to check it out. The texture and finish are great and like most Shiseido sunscreens provides a semi matte finish and excellent oil control. The only place I feel that this really falls short is in the color department. They only had shades 1 and 3 available and the SA chose a 3 for me. I didn't stress it because I figured a tinted sunscreen would be pretty forgiving. Not really. It went on with an orange cast that still managed to have some distinctive yellow undertones. I had to try and color correct with a mineral powder and more concealer than normal under my eyes and the center areas of my face. It's pretty pigmented (which is probably more apparent when the color is way off) but only gives light coverage which is all I was looking for anyway. This is also really difficult to remove. All of the sunscreens in this line are but my usual method of cold cream, a muslin cloth and toner struggled to remove this. I had hoped that this would be a great convenience product for me but after looking at the size of the tube and the color choices I'll stay with what I'm using. I still think this would be a great one and done product for someone that can find a suitable color match and is great for oily or combo prone skin that has difficulty finding great sun protection.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/25/2013 2:42:00 PM More reviews by Uncle_Joey

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

LOVE. I'm 30, and I try to be conscientious about my skin. I wear sunblock every day, but since I'm EXTREMELY acne-prone, it's been difficult finding something that doesn't make my skin go ape-dookie.

I've been using this for 2-3 months now, and no breakouts, which is a miracle for me. The only other sunblock I've been able to wear without many issues is Josie Maran's, but that can leave me a bit greasy. No grease issues with this (although it's not mattifying), no breakouts, no irritation. It's tinted, so it won't cover every discoloration, but it makes a great base. Tinted+moisture+sunblock=WIN. I still wear a light moisturizer under this, as it's more of a sunblock than a lotion, but it does help leave my skin hydrated.

I purchased 2 more tubes during Sephora's last sale, so I won't run out anyime soon. I'm still finishing the same original tube I purchased, which at $30 for 1oz feels pricey for me, BUT seeing as it's lasted about 2.5 months, and it doesn't aggravate my skin, I'll gladly keep shelling out the $$.

Comes in 3 sheer colors, I'm NC15-20, neutral/beige skin, and #1 works for me.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/16/2013 2:33:00 AM More reviews by reihasama

Great tinted moisturizer, and as expected from Shiseido, the SPF can't be beat. It applies with a dewy finish, but dries fairly matte, suitable for normal to dry skin. I think oily-skinned gals might have trouble with this. I apply a LOT on my face to get the full SPF protection, and it does not look too thick of unnatural at all. It is a tinted moisturizer, so don't expect great coverage, it will only even out skin tone, not cover up medium to major imperfections. For the price and the SPF provided, it beats 90% of the other tinted moisturizers on the market.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/14/2013 4:10:00 PM More reviews by quintanabanane

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I was really excited to try this product because of its high SPF. I don't get a lot of blemishes and like to wear something light on my face, especially in the summer. I really like this. I know you can use it as a base but I use it on its own or with a mineral powder on top. Pros: high SPF, waterproof for 40 minutes, it lasts all day on my skin (dry), not greasy like pther tinted moisturizers or bb creams I have tried, gives the skin a glow, didn't cause any breakouts or irritation. Cons: it is expensive, especially in Canada at around $40, to cover your whole face you need more than I expected (2 pea size drops), the coverage is light (I like this but if you like medium coverage you will not like this product). I am a shade one which I think would be fine for most fair skin because it is so sheer. If you are really fair this might not work. I am light plus in MAC MSFN which is what I use on top if I want a bit more coverage. All in all this was the product I was looking for!