Shiseido Urban Environment UV Protection SPF43

3.9

Active Ingredients: Ensulizone 2.0%- Sunscreen Octinoxate 7.4%- Sunscreen Titanium Dioxide 7.2%- Sunscreen Inactive Ingredients:Water, Dimethicone, SD Alcohol 40-B, Pentaerythrityl Tetraethylhexanoate, PEG-9, Polydimethylsiloxyethyl Dimethicone, Polymethyl Methacrylate, Glycerin, Dipropylene Glycol, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Hydrogenated Polydecene, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, Silica, Xylitol, PEG-6, PEG-32, PEG/PPG-14/7 Dimethyl Ether, Thiotaurine, Saxifraga Sarmentosa Extract, Arginine HCL, Ononis Spinosa Root Extract, Sodium PCA, Sophora Angustifolia Root Extract, PPG-17, Aluminum Hydroxide, Aminomethyl Propanol, Aluminum Distearate, Isostearic Acid, Stearic Acid, Trisodium EDTA, Polymethylsilsesquioxane, Talc, Butylene Glycol, Alcohol, Alumina, Polysilicone-2, Triethoxycaprylylsilane, Polybutylene Glycol/PPG-9/1 Copolymer, BHT, Syzygium Jambos Leaf Extract, Tocopherol, Phenoxyethanol, Fragrance, Iron Oxides, Titanium Dioxide.

on 7/5/2015 8:17:00 PM

A really great tinted moisturizer.
High SPF, and doesnt feel gross and sticky. very light coverage but build-able to light/medium!
surprisingly clings onto my face really well for a tinted moisturizer and having combination oily skin.
applies dewy but then dries to a semi-matte finish, feels super light on the skin
only downside is that the color selection is very limited.

on 4/13/2015 6:00:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Other, Medium

I finally found my HG TM. I feel like this TM covers more than others that I have tried - sheer to light coverage for me. Somewhat dewy when applied but dries to a semi matte finish. It has a creamy texture which I really like. Definitely evens out my skin tone and the SPF protection is a huge plus. I love to wear this with some blush and topped with Tarte's finishing powder. I feel made up without the feeling of a bunch of makeup on my face.

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

great product, protects your skin and enhances your look without being unnatural. shade selection is very good. I use shade 1, it's perfect for me!

on 5/26/2014 12:57:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

I was pleasantly surprised by this. I have sensitive skin that tends to react to many suncreens and products with alcohol - and this does contain alcohol (3rd ingredient on the INCI list) so I'm not sure how much alcohol is actually in this but it does not smell strongly of it. It also contains chemical filters (and a physical filter), which may be an issue for some.

I chose shade #1 for my skin, which is about NC20-25 (or in other brands I wear: Missha Perfect Cover in #21 or #23, Dior DiorSkin in #21 Linen, Etude House Precious Mineral Any Cushion in W13 Natural Beige). I usually layer my skincare (lotion/essence/serum moisturiser etc) so I like the lightweight feel of this sunscreen and non-greasy finish. The coverage is sheer to light, basically like tinted moisturiser. As this is a tinted sunscreen, if you are expecting more coverage this may not be the ideal product - unless you are willing to use concealer or foundation where needed. My skin is in good condition so I love the sheer coverage. I top this off with PF's Mineral Wear Talc-Free powder in Translucent which adds more physical UV protection (contains 15% Titanium Dioxide and 10% Zinc Oxide) and also cuts down on any shine, while keeping a beautiful, natural skin look. The Shiseido by itself is semi-matte on my skin, so it just looks like good skin. It also makes a great base for any make-up you want to add - blush or highlighter adheres very well on top, and lasts all day.

Overall - I'm not sure if I would buy this again, the UVA protection is not very high, although fine for limited sun exposure (I believe it was a PA++ when I checked on the BASF Sunscreen simulator, although most US sunscreens do not have great UVA protection anyways - if any at all, so it's not a surprise). I tried Anessa's Tinted sunscreens, as well as Etude's, Missha's, Shigaisen and some other brands which carry a higher UVA rating (at least PA+++) and found the texture to be the same or better so I may stick to those in the future. However, if you are limited to US only tinted sunscreens this one is nice and cosmetically elegant. I also love the simple packaging, a white squeeze tube which makes this convenient to take with you and also hygienic. And lastly, this is scented so sensitive-skinned individuals should take that into consideration. I am very picky about scent and prefer most skincare to be unscented but this has a soft, feminine scent that fades very quickly and doesn't bother me in the least.

on 5/16/2014 6:47:00 PM

I really, really loved this product when I first started using it - love the consistency, creaminess, non-drying yet seemingly non-greasy (though over time it proved otherwise), the convenient squeeze tube it comes that makes it more sanitary and easy to slip into my purse, the higher UV protection than some other BB creams, etc. These are all great and I loved it… But then I started to break out a little bit, first one or two zits, then more and more (and I’ve never suffered from acne other than sometimes having a small zit on my chin at ”my time of the month”). So, I switched moisturizers, cleansers, and other things. No difference - still breaking out and even with daily/nightly treatments of benzoyl-peroxide on the affected areas, nothing changed. The blemishes just would not budge - which is really unusual for me, personally, as any blemishes I do get I can successfully vanish them within a 2-3 days if not sooner. Finally, I sadly put Urban Environment away and switched back to using my Dr. Jart spf25 that I’ve had since last year. Miraculously (*sarcasm*), the blemishes immediately starting disappearing and within a week my skin has completely cleared up and is back to its normal self again. Thank god!
So, IME this Shiseido Urban Environment SPF 45 UV++++ ended up clogging up my pores like I’d never seen before. I don’t recommend this for ”clog-prone” types, or even people who don’t normally clog up…. Looks great at first then disaster strikes. Stay away.

tl;dr: Good at first but then wreaked havoc when it made me break out and start clogging up my pores.

on 10/17/2013 2:41:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Tan, Cool

A lot like the BB cream by Shiseido, but higher SPF and a wider choice of shades.

Pros:
Great SPF protection
Not greasy but not too matte, therefore not flat.
Great for canceling out the white cast when used over a physical block sunscreen.
Looks natural.

Cons:
None

on 10/16/2013 2:47:00 PM

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

Can't say that I'm thrilled with this tinted moisturizer. It smells strongly of sunblock and fragrance. The fragrance I don't mind, but the sunblock scent gets old after a while and it lingers. This feels heavy on the skin and covers some imperfections but not all. You will definitely need a concealer but it does even out the skin somewhat. I wore shade 2 which was a pretty good color match for my skin. I like that this has a SPF of 43, although I could see this getting suffocatingly greasy in really hot weather. Also, it seems to make my skin itch. For reference I wear MAC NC25-30 and NARS Punjab.

on 9/20/2013 4:22:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Thrilled to try after reading the reviews and the high (for tinted moisturizer) spf. Shade 2 was ok for my summer skin, maybe a tad too dark and yellow. Product settled into my pores and was splotchy within an hour. Also gave my skin a shiny appearance, which is not the same as the fresh, dewy look I prefer. Really wanted this product to work, but my skin looks better with sunblock alone as opposed to this tinted moisturizer.

on 8/18/2013 3:43:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Possibly Shiseido's best product. A wonderful TM that glides on so smoothly and feels and looks great. Just perfect if that's what you're looking for.

on 6/11/2013 3:12:00 PM

I really love this TM. In an age where theres BBs, CCs, DDS - you get the picture, I find this refreshingly simple and perfect. Love the sleep packaging, love that it has the Urban Defense properties (antioxidants, etc), perfect coverage for summer, and a higher than normal SPF. I wore "Light" in Clinque's CC (which I returned - love this much more) and found Medium to be perfect. I'm almost out but will be repurchasing; worth every penny.