August 29, 2014 | 1775 users online

Hair Color - Vidal Sassoon - Pro Series

rated 1 of 5 on 8/27/2014 1:32:00 PM More reviews by Caleisha

5 Medium Brown
I have been colouring my light brown hair with Garnier Nutrisse 61 Light Ash Brown for the past few months, but wanted to go a little darker and richer for fall. I picked up Vidal Sassoon 5 Medium Brown thinking it would do the trick. After rinsing and drying, I would describe the resulting colour as a level 3 flat brown/black. I have since washed several times with Head & Shoulders in the hopes that the colour would fade, but to no avail. This product has also left my hair feeling very dry and damaged. Not impressed.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/25/2014 9:20:00 PM More reviews by bellavee

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Blue

I bought this dye in Runway Red and it definitely met my expectations.

A little background: I've been dying my hair red for the last two years (as well as alternating back to brown, although I'm naturally blonde) and since dying it back red, I've found a lot of issues finding a color that matches the box/swatch! I've dyed my hair every color of the sun and I've dyed my hair all shades of red from Sally's professional colors and Walgreens box dyes. I've been really enjoying a natural copper red color by Loreal lately but disliked the color it would later fade to (a coppery auburn). So i thought I'd try a slightly darker yet bolder red, and I felt this would perfect.

The results: this color matched the box exactly! It came out a beautiful bold red and I've washed it three times since and the color hasn't budged. (I will update after 8 weeks as this is what the box claims it will last until) And it didn't seem to do much damage to my hair like some dyes can do. Overall I think it's a good dye, true to color, and non damaging.

rated 1 of 5 on 7/25/2014 7:28:00 PM More reviews by Jube15

I bought Vidal Sassoon pro series in runway red. I was extremely disapointed. The color was not right and my hair was a bright red. The dye was coming off in my hands even when I had washed and dried my hair! I don't recommend it.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/18/2014 9:32:00 PM More reviews by Fleurdesol

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I bought 8 G Vidal Sassoon Pro series hair dye. The colour is called medium golden blonde, but I would rather call it medium orange blonde. I don't like the orange touch, too orangey especially at the roots. I expected to get dark blonde or light brown, but never orange! I needed 2 boxes for shoulder length hair, in fact 1,5 boxes would have been perfect.
What I really liked is that there was little ammonia smell.
Three hours later, I can say that the colour is exactly like the one promised on the package.
Next time I will try medium blond 8.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/11/2014 1:42:00 PM More reviews by violetbutterfly1629

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

Okay! So my hair WAS a very dark brown(bordering on black). I really wanted to dye my hair the London Lilac that I saw on TV. I thought it looked so pretty and not really a bold purple. I had to get my hair bleached since my mom and I tried the Deep Velvet Violet six weeks before and it didn't do anything. So after getting my hair bleached, my mom dyed it for me and at first glance, it looks like a red-violet. BUT! Once I went outside, it was the purple that was on TV. The color shows up differently in different light. In the sun and natural lighting, it looks like the purple on TV, in other lighting it looks either red-violet or a very pretty wine red. It doesn't really look the color on the box.

The conditioner that comes with it smells really good and makes your hair smell good and feel soft. It supposed to last three weeks and you use it once a week.

As for lasting power, I admit that I wash my hair every 2 days at most since I heard that any violet/purple hair color is hard to maintain. I'm on week 4 for it and it's still looking pretty good. A little bit lighter than when it was first dyed, but it's still there. So if you wash your hair every night, I don't know how long it'll last.

Overall, if you're looking for a nice red-violet/violet color, I suggest giving this a try and see how you like it. I'll give an update on week 6.

rated 2 of 5 on 4/7/2014 3:32:00 PM More reviews by wooedwiththistles

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

I am a blue black dye feind, I have tried every brand down the drugstore aisle. My favorite for a while was the loreal superior preference lumiere in black sapphire. But I was noticing how my color wasn't lasting very long and I just couldn't stand how strong the chemicals were. Vidal Sassoon was the only brand I had not tried so I figured I would give it a go. I was really nervous because in the commercial for the London luxe the midnight muse blue looked really blue. But my hair was a faded black color so I figured it wouldn't show up as bad. First off I really like the gloves, normally you know how you get lunch lady gloves, well you get nice gloves with this which I appreciate. The smell was minimal. It did burn my eye a little when I was doing the front of my hair, but I wasn't crying like with loreal. Also the inevitable skin staining wasn't bad either. It wasn't too wet and didn't drip everywhere or run down my head as I was waiting for my hair to cure. The conditioner you get with it was amazing too and really clung to my hair. I really love the color and the blue is really vibrant even though my hair was quite dark to begin with. My only issue is that my roots are very blue. Which I'm sure will simmer down after a wash or two so I'm not worried. However if someone has lighter hair and wants to be brave an go blue black you'll end up with dark blue hair not blue black. So just be warned. As for me this is gonna be my new favorite.

Edit: after washing my hair only twice it has faded to a dark brown LIGHTER then what I started with.... Will not be using this again. So disappointed.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/10/2014 6:50:00 PM More reviews by jessicav1

I've been using this dye for about a year now and it's the ONLY dye I've ever been fully happy with. I tried Garnier Olia for my last colour because I wanted to change things up in my colour and it was on sale and I will neverrrr go near that stuff again. Garbage, and made me realize just how great the VS dyes are. I use Medium Vibrant Red and it is, for me, the best vibrant red shade I've ever used. I use the VS colour shampoo and conditioner as well and my colour lasts easily 5-6 weeks, and even when it fades, it's still red. The price is usually higher than other brands but you get what you pay for and it's still cheaper than the salon.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 1/30/2014 7:30:00 PM More reviews by skandelouslala

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Neutral Hair: Other, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Other

Would have never tried this brand probably had it not been for the new London Luxe colors which are new for 2014 (and oddly enough Walgreens seemed confused and clearanced some off as soon as they put them out so I got 2 boxes of London Lilac for dirt cheap). However I then stumbled upon the Deep Velvet Violet shade and wanted to try that one first, which in all honesty didn't look terribly different from London Lilac but I will have to wait to update you on that.

I love violet tones in my hair and so few brands do violet browns so to see a drugstore line do one my first response was definitely yay! (In all fairness, Olia has one but my experience with it is that it is extremely patchy and the violet turns to red in record time.)

My hair is currently a cool dark brown and badly in need of some life in terms of highlights, lowlights...something. I was hoping that this would give it some oomph.

Pretty much your typical hair color in terms of mixing, application, etc. I rinsed, dried, and was sort of let down...

It is not your obvious violet which isn't necessarily a bad thing, I wasn't after purple hair but I wasn't going to mind if it was noticable in most settings. Instead this is only truly noticable under certain lighting. My hair still looks dark brown but there is a hint of violet to it. If it would have been just a tad more dramatic I would have been much happier. It just didn't quite meet my expectations.

I do think had my hair been a shade or 2 lighter it would have been much more noticable. Now here's hoping that it doesn't wash out to a brassy red in record time. Will update how the fade out plays.

Update: The violet tones start to fade to brassy red extremely quickly. Bummer. It's been less than a week since I colored it. Exactly what Olia's did. It just seems like this type of hair color is better suited for people who don't have to wash their hair every day. I got my hair cut and the sylist seemed into the color, she noticed the violet red tones and wanted to know more about the brand and color I used. She seemed to be feeling it but I just wasn't, especially when the color had already changed dramatically in such a short amount of time. The past couple of days every time I would look in the mirror I started feeling pissed about my hair so I got a box of Colorfix from Sally's and stripped the whole thing and I think I am going to try to go back to growing out my natural color so my boxes of London Lilac are on hold for now.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/28/2014 10:21:00 PM More reviews by pw6281

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

This is the first time I have used this product, but was very pleased. I purchased the dye in the medium brown shade (not the cool medium brown, just the regular) and am now about 2 weeks out from the date I dyed. To describe my hair....my hair is naturally straight and a light dull brown with approximately a 1/4 gray; I feel this is important to tell as many products will react different with different hair types I'm sure. I color my hair on a frequent basis for many years, and I had about 3 inches of regrowth at my roots and the rest of my hair was previously dyed a medium chocolate brown in October with copper, dark red and blonde highlights that had faded.

I was a bit worried with the regrowth and the several different colors already in my hair that I may end up with a disaster. I was very happy with the results, although the color was a bit darker then I expected. I also read other similar reviews on here regarding that, but I have to say, the color of my hair matches the color swab on the box almost exactly. The color was even throughout, and you would never know that I had several other colors and regrowth hiding beneath.

I have used a few other brands (Feria and Garnier) on and off when I decided the salon was getting too expensive, and always ended up with lighter colored roots then the rest of my hair. Not a problem at all with this product. Everything is even which I was delighted to see once I washed it out.

The color of the dye on my hair while it was processing was BLACK....which made me a bit worried. However, the color came out very true to the box and looks wonderful. I have seen some other comments about the color being flat; maybe because of my gray it came out with a nice shimmer, but I was very pleased with the results and it looks almost like natural highlights.

I would highly recommend this product. I paid approximately $2 for this as it was $7 at target and I had a $5 off coupon. For that price, I will use this dye over and over rather than returning to the salon.

The only negative I have to say is that you will likely need 2 boxes if you have long hair. My hair is thick and just past my clavicle and I just barely got buy with 1 bottle. But for the price, you can't go wrong!!

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 1/22/2014 5:04:00 AM More reviews by UrbanObsession

The best box dye out there imo and the only brand I will purchase from now on. Recently, I lacked the funds to touch up my drab, faded brown hair with blonde highlights and wanted to make the color more even looking, I noticed VS Pro Series at Walmart in the shade Dark Velvet Violet--part of the London Luxe Collection. It's a unique burgundy purple color that's dramatically different from dark brown colors I usually gravitate towards but is nice for a change.

Application process is simple and the dye isn't runny or messy like many are, I have long hair that's very thick and one box is the perfect amount, left it on for 30 minutes (I was a bit afraid that the dye applied hot pink/purple after I mixed it with developer) and rinsed out. My fears subsided when I saw the final color result...stunning, shiny burgundy that matched the color on the front of the box! So don't be freaked out by the weird shade of dye, it will not determine your final color result.

I didn't notice the usual dryness that occurs when I dye my hair with other brands (Colorsilk, Nutrisse, Feria etc) and I loove the conditioner it comes with, you get a good sized tube and it really leaves hair soft and flowing. This brand is HG for me and I love that it deposits color evenly, no streaks or patchiness left behind whatsover, just natural color:)) Highly recommended and I will update if /when I try other shades.

EDIT: I will not be repurchasing this brand of Hair color; the shade was completely gone from my hair within two weeks...so sad because I loved the color while it lasted but it fades like craaaazy and keep in mind I only shampoo my hair once a week. Oh well, on to the next one!