October 24, 2014 | 1403 users online

Hair Color - Vidal Sassoon - Pro Series

rated 4 of 5 on 10/14/2014 6:58:00 PM More reviews by ixSNOWBUNNYx3

Hmm.. So far so good!

Color: London Lilac (Pretty eggplant color on the box)

I have very brassy hair leftover from a bad dye job some time ago, and decided that I am going to go purple, because that will help cover up brassiness. I did bleach my hair first, making sure that my hair was basically blonde before using this dye.

It was really easy to use, and the color developed quite quickly and nicely, only thing I would change is how much product is in it. A bit too less for me, so for people with long hair, go for 2 boxes. I covered my hair with a plastic bag, and waited about 1 hour and 15 minutes, which was probably double time, but didn't seem to fry my hair, which is always a bonus.

Really liked the results, been getting loads of complements! Really nice color, and the payoff is exactly like the box shows!

rated 1 of 5 on 10/13/2014 12:33:00 PM More reviews by youngpunkk

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Other, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

*This particular review is for the shade Deep Velvet Violet. I have not tried any other shades.*

I was really excited to use this hair dye because I've never really ventured into "weird" hair color territory before, and Deep Velvet Violet was just weird enough for me without being ridiculous or obnoxious. I have natural golden/dirty blonde hair, but I had been dyeing my hair black and dark brown for a while, so I had to go through a long and drawn out process to get my hair back to its natural color (which involved using a semi-permanent dark ash blonde dye on it after toning/bleaching). Idk if any of that influenced the results I got with this dye or not, but I figure it's worth mentioning in case it actually did.

I was in-freaking-love with the results that I got with Deep Velvet Violet. It was definitely purple over my blonde hair, but it was subtle. A really warm, flattering tone. I left the dye in for the recommended time and followed the rinsing and conditioning suggestions in the instructions that came with the dye. I went three days without washing my hair at all since I know from experience that reddish tinted dyes fade like crazy and are impossible to keep looking vibrant. When I finally did decide to wash my hair, I skipped over the shampoo and went with a paraben and sulfate free cleansing conditioner by Herbal Essences, which I've been using for a while. I noticed that when I got out of the shower and my hair had air dried, streaks of my blonde were showing through the purple. I thought maybe it just my crappy bathroom lighting, so I shrugged it off and went to straighten my hair. Once it was straight, I really noticed the fading that had happened. Only the roots of my hair were still a rich, vibrant purple shade. The rest of my hair was dull and faded, and there were blonde patches peeking out everywhere.

I've been dyeing my hair at home for years and I've never had this result from a permanent hair dye before. I've never even had this drastic of a result with a semi-permanent hair color! I was appalled and really, really disappointed. Like I said at the beginning of my review, I've never tried any other VS shades, so I can't say this is what happens with all of them. But due to my experience with Deep Velvet Violet, I'll be steering clear of this brand of dye in the drugstore from now on. Proceed with caution!

rated 5 of 5 on 9/30/2014 5:19:00 PM More reviews by heawed01

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This color is very beautiful! Don't be fooled by the box that color is very purple too purple for me. I was a little nervous it would look unprofessional. This is a great color for fall. It doesn't look black at all. My hair was dark brown to begin with now it has hints of purple and red. GORGE go get it!!

rated 1 of 5 on 8/27/2014 1:32:00 PM More reviews by Caleisha

5 Medium Brown
I have been colouring my light brown hair with Garnier Nutrisse 61 Light Ash Brown for the past few months, but wanted to go a little darker and richer for fall. I picked up Vidal Sassoon 5 Medium Brown thinking it would do the trick. After rinsing and drying, I would describe the resulting colour as a level 3 flat brown/black. I have since washed several times with Head & Shoulders in the hopes that the colour would fade, but to no avail. This product has also left my hair feeling very dry and damaged. Not impressed.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/25/2014 9:20:00 PM More reviews by bellavee

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Blue

I bought this dye in Runway Red and it definitely met my expectations.

A little background: I've been dying my hair red for the last two years (as well as alternating back to brown, although I'm naturally blonde) and since dying it back red, I've found a lot of issues finding a color that matches the box/swatch! I've dyed my hair every color of the sun and I've dyed my hair all shades of red from Sally's professional colors and Walgreens box dyes. I've been really enjoying a natural copper red color by Loreal lately but disliked the color it would later fade to (a coppery auburn). So i thought I'd try a slightly darker yet bolder red, and I felt this would perfect.

The results: this color matched the box exactly! It came out a beautiful bold red and I've washed it three times since and the color hasn't budged. (I will update after 8 weeks as this is what the box claims it will last until) And it didn't seem to do much damage to my hair like some dyes can do. Overall I think it's a good dye, true to color, and non damaging.

UPDATE: literally the best red hair dye I've ever used. It's a box dye that just doesn't fade, who even knew that existed! Only problem is that I went to 4 different drugstores, walmart, and publix, and they don't have 6RR only 5RR. So i'll have to buy it online, but it's worth it, because it's amazing.

rated 1 of 5 on 7/25/2014 7:28:00 PM More reviews by Jube15

I bought Vidal Sassoon pro series in runway red. I was extremely disapointed. The color was not right and my hair was a bright red. The dye was coming off in my hands even when I had washed and dried my hair! I don't recommend it.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/18/2014 9:32:00 PM More reviews by Fleurdesol

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I bought 8 G Vidal Sassoon Pro series hair dye. The colour is called medium golden blonde, but I would rather call it medium orange blonde. I don't like the orange touch, too orangey especially at the roots. I expected to get dark blonde or light brown, but never orange! I needed 2 boxes for shoulder length hair, in fact 1,5 boxes would have been perfect.
What I really liked is that there was little ammonia smell.
Three hours later, I can say that the colour is exactly like the one promised on the package.
Next time I will try medium blond 8.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/11/2014 1:42:00 PM More reviews by violetbutterfly1629

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

Okay! So my hair WAS a very dark brown(bordering on black). I really wanted to dye my hair the London Lilac that I saw on TV. I thought it looked so pretty and not really a bold purple. I had to get my hair bleached since my mom and I tried the Deep Velvet Violet six weeks before and it didn't do anything. So after getting my hair bleached, my mom dyed it for me and at first glance, it looks like a red-violet. BUT! Once I went outside, it was the purple that was on TV. The color shows up differently in different light. In the sun and natural lighting, it looks like the purple on TV, in other lighting it looks either red-violet or a very pretty wine red. It doesn't really look the color on the box.

The conditioner that comes with it smells really good and makes your hair smell good and feel soft. It supposed to last three weeks and you use it once a week.

As for lasting power, I admit that I wash my hair every 2 days at most since I heard that any violet/purple hair color is hard to maintain. I'm on week 4 for it and it's still looking pretty good. A little bit lighter than when it was first dyed, but it's still there. So if you wash your hair every night, I don't know how long it'll last.

Overall, if you're looking for a nice red-violet/violet color, I suggest giving this a try and see how you like it. I'll give an update on week 6.

rated 2 of 5 on 4/7/2014 3:32:00 PM More reviews by wooedwiththistles

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

I am a blue black dye feind, I have tried every brand down the drugstore aisle. My favorite for a while was the loreal superior preference lumiere in black sapphire. But I was noticing how my color wasn't lasting very long and I just couldn't stand how strong the chemicals were. Vidal Sassoon was the only brand I had not tried so I figured I would give it a go. I was really nervous because in the commercial for the London luxe the midnight muse blue looked really blue. But my hair was a faded black color so I figured it wouldn't show up as bad. First off I really like the gloves, normally you know how you get lunch lady gloves, well you get nice gloves with this which I appreciate. The smell was minimal. It did burn my eye a little when I was doing the front of my hair, but I wasn't crying like with loreal. Also the inevitable skin staining wasn't bad either. It wasn't too wet and didn't drip everywhere or run down my head as I was waiting for my hair to cure. The conditioner you get with it was amazing too and really clung to my hair. I really love the color and the blue is really vibrant even though my hair was quite dark to begin with. My only issue is that my roots are very blue. Which I'm sure will simmer down after a wash or two so I'm not worried. However if someone has lighter hair and wants to be brave an go blue black you'll end up with dark blue hair not blue black. So just be warned. As for me this is gonna be my new favorite.

Edit: after washing my hair only twice it has faded to a dark brown LIGHTER then what I started with.... Will not be using this again. So disappointed.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/10/2014 6:50:00 PM More reviews by jessicav1

I've been using this dye for about a year now and it's the ONLY dye I've ever been fully happy with. I tried Garnier Olia for my last colour because I wanted to change things up in my colour and it was on sale and I will neverrrr go near that stuff again. Garbage, and made me realize just how great the VS dyes are. I use Medium Vibrant Red and it is, for me, the best vibrant red shade I've ever used. I use the VS colour shampoo and conditioner as well and my colour lasts easily 5-6 weeks, and even when it fades, it's still red. The price is usually higher than other brands but you get what you pay for and it's still cheaper than the salon.