April 19, 2014 | 1753 users online

Hair Color - Vidal Sassoon - Pro Series

rated 5 of 5 on 4/7/2014 3:32:00 PM More reviews by wooedwiththistles

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

I am a blue black dye feind, I have tried every brand down the drugstore aisle. My favorite for a while was the loreal superior preference lumiere in black sapphire. But I was noticing how my color wasn't lasting very long and I just couldn't stand how strong the chemicals were. Vidal Sassoon was the only brand I had not tried so I figured I would give it a go. I was really nervous because in the commercial for the London luxe the midnight muse blue looked really blue. But my hair was a faded black color so I figured it wouldn't show up as bad. First off I really like the gloves, normally you know how you get lunch lady gloves, well you get nice gloves with this which I appreciate. The smell was minimal. It did burn my eye a little when I was doing the front of my hair, but I wasn't crying like with loreal. Also the inevitable skin staining wasn't bad either. It wasn't too wet and didn't drip everywhere or run down my head as I was waiting for my hair to cure. The conditioner you get with it was amazing too and really clung to my hair. I really love the color and the blue is really vibrant even though my hair was quite dark to begin with. My only issue is that my roots are very blue. Which I'm sure will simmer down after a wash or two so I'm not worried. However if someone has lighter hair and wants to be brave an go blue black you'll end up with dark blue hair not blue black. So just be warned. As for me this is gonna be my new favorite.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/10/2014 6:50:00 PM More reviews by jessicav1

I've been using this dye for about a year now and it's the ONLY dye I've ever been fully happy with. I tried Garnier Olia for my last colour because I wanted to change things up in my colour and it was on sale and I will neverrrr go near that stuff again. Garbage, and made me realize just how great the VS dyes are. I use Medium Vibrant Red and it is, for me, the best vibrant red shade I've ever used. I use the VS colour shampoo and conditioner as well and my colour lasts easily 5-6 weeks, and even when it fades, it's still red. The price is usually higher than other brands but you get what you pay for and it's still cheaper than the salon.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 1/30/2014 7:30:00 PM More reviews by skandelouslala

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Neutral Hair: Other, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Other

Would have never tried this brand probably had it not been for the new London Luxe colors which are new for 2014 (and oddly enough Walgreens seemed confused and clearanced some off as soon as they put them out so I got 2 boxes of London Lilac for dirt cheap). However I then stumbled upon the Deep Velvet Violet shade and wanted to try that one first, which in all honesty didn't look terribly different from London Lilac but I will have to wait to update you on that.

I love violet tones in my hair and so few brands do violet browns so to see a drugstore line do one my first response was definitely yay! (In all fairness, Olia has one but my experience with it is that it is extremely patchy and the violet turns to red in record time.)

My hair is currently a cool dark brown and badly in need of some life in terms of highlights, lowlights...something. I was hoping that this would give it some oomph.

Pretty much your typical hair color in terms of mixing, application, etc. I rinsed, dried, and was sort of let down...

It is not your obvious violet which isn't necessarily a bad thing, I wasn't after purple hair but I wasn't going to mind if it was noticable in most settings. Instead this is only truly noticable under certain lighting. My hair still looks dark brown but there is a hint of violet to it. If it would have been just a tad more dramatic I would have been much happier. It just didn't quite meet my expectations.

I do think had my hair been a shade or 2 lighter it would have been much more noticable. Now here's hoping that it doesn't wash out to a brassy red in record time. Will update how the fade out plays.

Update: The violet tones start to fade to brassy red extremely quickly. Bummer. It's been less than a week since I colored it. Exactly what Olia's did. It just seems like this type of hair color is better suited for people who don't have to wash their hair every day. I got my hair cut and the sylist seemed into the color, she noticed the violet red tones and wanted to know more about the brand and color I used. She seemed to be feeling it but I just wasn't, especially when the color had already changed dramatically in such a short amount of time. The past couple of days every time I would look in the mirror I started feeling pissed about my hair so I got a box of Colorfix from Sally's and stripped the whole thing and I think I am going to try to go back to growing out my natural color so my boxes of London Lilac are on hold for now.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/28/2014 10:21:00 PM More reviews by pw6281

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

This is the first time I have used this product, but was very pleased. I purchased the dye in the medium brown shade (not the cool medium brown, just the regular) and am now about 2 weeks out from the date I dyed. To describe my hair....my hair is naturally straight and a light dull brown with approximately a 1/4 gray; I feel this is important to tell as many products will react different with different hair types I'm sure. I color my hair on a frequent basis for many years, and I had about 3 inches of regrowth at my roots and the rest of my hair was previously dyed a medium chocolate brown in October with copper, dark red and blonde highlights that had faded.

I was a bit worried with the regrowth and the several different colors already in my hair that I may end up with a disaster. I was very happy with the results, although the color was a bit darker then I expected. I also read other similar reviews on here regarding that, but I have to say, the color of my hair matches the color swab on the box almost exactly. The color was even throughout, and you would never know that I had several other colors and regrowth hiding beneath.

I have used a few other brands (Feria and Garnier) on and off when I decided the salon was getting too expensive, and always ended up with lighter colored roots then the rest of my hair. Not a problem at all with this product. Everything is even which I was delighted to see once I washed it out.

The color of the dye on my hair while it was processing was BLACK....which made me a bit worried. However, the color came out very true to the box and looks wonderful. I have seen some other comments about the color being flat; maybe because of my gray it came out with a nice shimmer, but I was very pleased with the results and it looks almost like natural highlights.

I would highly recommend this product. I paid approximately $2 for this as it was $7 at target and I had a $5 off coupon. For that price, I will use this dye over and over rather than returning to the salon.

The only negative I have to say is that you will likely need 2 boxes if you have long hair. My hair is thick and just past my clavicle and I just barely got buy with 1 bottle. But for the price, you can't go wrong!!

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 1/22/2014 5:04:00 AM More reviews by UrbanObsession

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Blue

The best box dye out there imo and the only brand I will purchase from now on. Recently, I lacked the funds to touch up my drab, faded brown hair with blonde highlights and wanted to make the color more even looking, I noticed VS Pro Series at Walmart in the shade Dark Velvet Violet--part of the London Luxe Collection. It's a unique burgundy purple color that's dramatically different from dark brown colors I usually gravitate towards but is nice for a change.

Application process is simple and the dye isn't runny or messy like many are, I have long hair that's very thick and one box is the perfect amount, left it on for 30 minutes (I was a bit afraid that the dye applied hot pink/purple after I mixed it with developer) and rinsed out. My fears subsided when I saw the final color result...stunning, shiny burgundy that matched the color on the front of the box! So don't be freaked out by the weird shade of dye, it will not determine your final color result.

I didn't notice the usual dryness that occurs when I dye my hair with other brands (Colorsilk, Nutrisse, Feria etc) and I loove the conditioner it comes with, you get a good sized tube and it really leaves hair soft and flowing. This brand is HG for me and I love that it deposits color evenly, no streaks or patchiness left behind whatsover, just natural color:)) Highly recommended and I will update if /when I try other shades.

EDIT: I will not be repurchasing this brand of Hair color; the shade was completely gone from my hair within two weeks...so sad because I loved the color while it lasted but it fades like craaaazy and keep in mind I only shampoo my hair once a week. Oh well, on to the next one!

rated 2 of 5 on 11/30/2013 9:08:00 PM More reviews by cassblondie

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I purchased the 7C Dark Cool Blonde color.

My hair: Dyed light to medium blonde, naturally a dark blonde.

The Good: This produced an even color. Smell was not bad. Application was fine.

The Bad: Right away, I noticed that the color was flat and not dimensional. It seems that the color is too pigmented or something? It sort of looked like paint. I have never seen a box color so flat. Also, this made my hair frizzy. Three weeks later, most of the color has faded (which makes me happy because I finally have some dimension again!) but that's not a very long time for hair color to completely fade.

All in all, this is an okay hair dye. It didn't produce horrible results at all, but I like Garnier and L'Oreal much better. They produce longer lasting color with more dimension and a lot less visible damage.

**UPDATE** Since I used this a few months ago, I have noticed a lot more hair breakage and dryness. My hair actually looks thinner around my part, too. I haven't changed anything concerning my hair routine or medications, so I can only attribute my hair breakage to this. Will never touch this dye again.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/29/2013 1:11:00 AM More reviews by BlackHoleDiver

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I like changing colors. I have no greys, or really any age issues of my skin, so I guess in this regard I'm lucky. Was a redhead for years, then got sick if it. I wanted to return to my natural, darkish brown. And I wanted the change to be noticed. This applies easily and doesn't run. If you have long hair, get two boxes. When I rinsed, it didn't bleed, and continued not to even though I don't use color care shampoo. When it dried, my hair was darker than I thought but I like it. Hasn't faded much at all. Looks real. I don't like their shampoo but the color turned out nice. My hair isn't damaged, just dry from winter's beginning. I recommend this line. :)

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 11/25/2013 12:04:00 PM More reviews by joy2uandme

The color I chose was medium warm golden brown. Followed instructions. What I got was a dark coffee brown, nothing medium about it. I have medium ash brown hair with grays to cover so was looking for a slightly warmer version. If my experience is any indication these colors run dark.

Since my hair was way too dark, I shampooed often with sulfate free shampoo. My grays stayed colored for a month so pretty good on that front. However my hair felt extra dry and I had more fall out than usual. Usually my hair is super shiny because it is fine in nature but my hair looked wig-like and lifeless. I had no highlights peeking through at all even though I had highlights put in the previous month.

Packaging was very good. They included some great gloves, instructions were very easy and the color went on with zero drips. The conditioner they included was great and much needed since my hair was parched and straw-like when done.

Noting all the negatives I would not buy this again even though it was a bargain. I paid about 6 dollars for this since I had a coupon so I am taking that into account here but I want "real" looking hair color, not a wig look when I'm done. Also the dry parched hair was notable. And FYI I believe this is made by P&G and not coming from Vidal Sassoon labs as we all hoped.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/14/2013 1:20:00 AM More reviews by mizpixie

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I was so hesitant to use this product because of some of the negative reviews I'd seen, but this dye is some of the best boxed dye I have ever used. Before dyeing, my hair was bleached and dyed with Manic Panic Vampire Red, but because Manic Panic would quickly fade to pink, I decided to go permanent red. Unfortunately, this left me with pink hair and an inch and a half of dark blonde roots to dye over.
This dye somehow miraculously gave me flawlessly even coverage over my whole hair. The parts that were bleached are the same shade as my roots, no peekaboo strands of orangey-red from prior bleaching. And the color is GORGEOUS, and so far hasn't "bled out" in the shower like some reds do!
I am all about this stuff! I'd totally recommend it for anyone looking to dye over an hombre or highlights.

rated 2 of 5 on 10/8/2013 9:35:00 AM More reviews by Nightmare35300815

So before I used this dye I had medium to dark brown hair that was dyed red for a year. My hair is extremely health because I am a control freak about that. I had started university and did not have the time to always dye my hair so I wanted to go back to brown. I used 2 boxes of dark brown on my hair because it is thick. The bottom where is started is black and the top is slightly lighter but there is a red aura on my hair and parts are lightened or not dyed at all even though there was dye on it. For the first time after dying my hair it is extremely dry. I called the company and was told not to redye my hair for 1 month so I'm stuck. I will never buy this product again.