Annick Goutal Eau du Sud

3.2

on 10/7/2012 6:22:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

This is a staple for me as it works in so many situations and I love citrus anyway, so I just can't go wrong with it. I keep a bottle by the front door so if I'm in a rush and about to leave the house with no scent I can give a quick spritz and feel uplifted as I run out the door. It can seem tailored and business-like at work, and equally it can feel like a refreshing eau de cologne, completely relaxed and casual. I highly recommend it for anyone interested in a citrus or green chypre fragrance. Oh, and I find lasting power to be very impressive for this type of fragrance... it wears for a good 6-8 hours and the drydown can be detected on skin for much longer, also on fabric more than 24 hours.

on 7/9/2011 10:52:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

A lovely herbal/citrus chypre, but its performance on my skin is so hit-or-miss that I can't in good conscience give it a 5. At its best, after the sharp snap of bergamot and grapefruit, it takes on a wonderful gray-green, dusty quality. But it's just as likely to turn into an acidic poison-green sort of smell that reminds me of 7-Up. I realized I was actually becoming reluctant to spray it on--never a good sign.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

this goutal smells like coriander and cumin to me..it is very much a PUNCH of scent and then as it settles, it has very green notes and powder that leave me wondering if someday i will fall completely in love with this scent..i am still on the fence, but i really love the dry down on this scent.

on 5/15/2010 7:16:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

This is a light powdery citrus. Although Eau de Sud is classified as a unisex, I find it very feminine--more so than Eau d'Hadrien. I much prefer its soft drydown to Eau d'Hadriens "lemon Pledge" accord.

on 10/30/2009 11:56:00 PM

I really wanted to love this after reading the description on NST. But, it was just plain terrible. I got a lot of ginger when I smelled this. Did anyone else get ginger? Ginger and citrus. I tried to wear this long enough to love it but the more I wore it, the more I hated it.

on 8/9/2009 2:04:00 AM

Terrible overpriced chemical citrus sent with acidic aftertone, never again

on 7/9/2009 8:58:00 PM

This is a nice cross between Cristalle (top notes) and Amouge Jubilation 25 (drydown). I haven't looked up the notes but I would classify it as a spicy citrus. It has more staying power than the average Goutal but is still a bit too fleeting for my taste. Otherwise, I would give it 5 stars.

on 3/10/2009 3:45:00 PM

I'm probably crazy, but for me this is a lighter version of Cabochard, which I liked but was too dry for me to wear. I detect little citrus on my skin after the first 15 minutes, which is a plus for me. I get something cool, fresh, herbal and unique; ideal for the spring/summer season which is about to begin. Also, lasts a good while on me, especially given that's it's a EDT, not perfume. I originally set out to but something more girly, but Chevrefeuille (my first choice) had zero sillage, while Eau de Ciel was too citrousy. Not sure how often I will wear it since it requires a certain mood to put it on, but as a smell it was too captivating to ignore: I just had to add it to my collection for those times when nothing else will do.

EDIT: The more I wear it, the more I love it! The lasting power is also great. I sometimes layer it with JM Honeysuckle Jasmine to make it somewhat sweeter but it's great on its own as well.

on 2/21/2009 5:08:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

I am really loving Eau de Sud. Lots of bitter citrus with some herbs. Different from your standard citrus but still refreshing. Eau de Sud could be worn anywhere. Not very strong or long lasting so I spray myself generously. Wonderful for summer.

on 1/10/2009 1:38:00 PM

I lurve this unusual, chic, sexy perfume that smells of long summer holidays in the South of France... it's like lying on ground that's hot from the sun and smelling the grass and herbs and fruit and sun-baked earth... but unfortunately it seems to have very little staying power. I have heard that Goutal don't use fixing agents. Anyway, on my skin it's gone within half an hour.

Popular Fragrances