NYX Born to Glow Liquid Illuminator - Sunbeam

2.6

Water/Aqua, Cyclopentasiloxane, Cyclohexasiloxane, Dimethicone, Mica, Polyacrylamide, C13-14 Isoparaffin, C9-11 Pareth-6, Butylene Glycol, Polysorbate 60, Ethylhexyl Palmitate, Phenoxyethanol, Ethylhexyl Methoxycinnamate, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Tocopheryl Acetate, Benzophenone-3, Disodium EDTA, Butylparaben, Ethylparaben, May Contain: Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Iron Oxide Black (CI 77499), Iron Oxide Red (CI 77491), Iron Oxide Yellow (CI 77492).

on 8/12/2015 9:37:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Fine

this is definitely very glittery. I haven't seen what this looks like in the day/direct sunlight yet, but if that changes my opinion I'll be sure to update my review.

this stuff is pretty tough to work with. it disturbs makeup, and I've found that for me the best way to apply it is immediately after foundation. I like to powder after blush as well, so I essentially do foundation + this + the rest of my face makeup + setting powder, in that order. I find that that not only helps to blend this product in, but it also allows you to control the amount of shimmer you get as well. I like to load up a brush and dab it heavily onto my cheekbones, and powdering afterwards really calms the whole look down and gives it a much more natural finish. however, my makeup is still a little uneven. this stuff sort of pushes your other products (both cream + powder-based) out of the way to make room for itself. in the future I'd like to see how it blends with a sponge, but I imagine that still wouldn't solve all of the problems I have when I use this stuff.

it's not impossible to work with and I really like the finish (I go haaaaard w my highlighters ya dig). but if you're not one for intense shimmer or anything remotely high-maintenance, I'd suggest looking elsewhere.

on 7/24/2015 12:12:00 AM

Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I just bought this highlighter in sunbeam and it really has disappointed me, it's too glittery. I decided to buy it because the swatch photos on the internet looked really nice and luminous but in real life it's just glitter :/ I regret not buying physician's formula perfect palette glow pearls ):

on 7/17/2015 5:49:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

heard it was a dupe for benefit high beam, which i'm a huge fan of and was running out of. got ahold of this stuff to see if it really was and i was decently impressed, besides the fact that there is a metric shitton of glitter in it. if there wasn't actual glitter particles, i would love this stuff. but unfortunately, there is.

on 7/1/2015 6:28:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

i'm not really a fan of this illuminator. it has a thick texture, which means it doesn't spread over the skin well. it also leaves microglitter on the skin, rather than a sheen. i've almost used it up, but i wouldn't repurchase.

on 4/2/2015 2:06:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

If you wanted to look like a guest on the Maury Povich Show, then buy this.

Too much sparkle / glitter.

This would be a near perfect dupe of Becca Shimmering Skin Perfector in Moonstone or the MAC Creme Colour Base in Shell, but there is flecks of larger uneven glitter.

Lasts considerably well, sets quick and even, able to rub to a medium sheer highlight (of course not to that of high end). Good for fair skinned.

on 3/24/2015 4:38:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

i'm surprised by all the negative reviews on this; i actually really like this highlight. yes, it is glittery, but i love how sparkly and pretty it looks. if you use a small amount you can achieve a very subtle look with it. based on the other reviews i'm going to say that this stuff is only for people like me who love glitter! i took off a lippie because it's kind of tricky to blend this out. it tends to be sticky and go on streaky. but you get a really nice result. you can also mix it in with your foundation to get a less concentrated glow-y look.

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

I was really on the fence about this one. I hated it originally but I like it better now. It's hard to apply and comes out kind of streaky but with a little practice, I've gotten the hang of it. I would prefer a highlighter stick but this works well enough. I love how it looks on my nose, subtle and shimmery, but for some reason it doesn't seem to show up on my cheekbones at all.

on 1/27/2015 10:32:00 PM

Everyone reviewing this illuminator is cracking me up!! Lisa Frank and Glitter Bomb are just some of the adjectives used to describe it 😂😭😂 I think that's a little dramatic personally lol.... Anyways, just an okay product. Not too impressed sadly, but I can make it work. I have it in Sunbeam: it's definitely pink-ish & has lots of sparkles. You only need a small amount first of all. My skin looks radiant when I mix a tiny drop into my foundation. Or I'll dab it onto my cheekbones after I've applied foundation. It truly needs to be blended well into the skin & layered. That's when I find the most beautiful effect. It's not for everyone. The tube sucks. The price isn't cool either but I guess it'll last awhile if too much product doesn't come out the tube at one time. It's so so but I expect more from you NYX!!

on 1/21/2015 5:02:00 PM

Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure

I really like this illuminator it's nice and pigmented. Perfect glow.

on 12/11/2014 4:47:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

This is definitely not a holy grail illuminator for me. I've had better results with a cream highlighter. I think the problem may be due to it's heavily pink-toned base and the shimmery particles showing up stronger than the actual pigment of the illuminator.

It's best to use this make up mixed with foundation for me. I don't use it on my cheeks because it tends to cast a pink-ish glow that doesn't mix well with the rest of my nude-toned make up. I'll use it mixed with my foundation and will update if I like this any better in the next few weeks, but I've already been experimenting with ways to use it and that is the only one that works for me.

For the price, it was a good bargain. I purchased this on sale for $7 and wouldn't pay any cent more than that. I know that some drugstore illuminators sell for ridiculous amounts of money and I'm not sure I would ever try them at full price, for fear that they may replicate this product's effects.

If you're interested in trying this, then do so. I've applied cream highlighter all over my face before foundation (sparingly, of course) and it has given me a glow that I love. It's a good tip to try before investing in this, unless your skin is pink-toned and might go really well with it.