September 30, 2014 | 1306 users online

Shampoo - Chagrin Valley - Soapnuts

rated 5 of 5 on 3/3/2014 5:21:00 PM More reviews by jamesie

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This is my favorite CG shampoo bar. I actually use it all over in the shower, 1-step cleaning :-D

It is one of the more "drying" bars, so good for oily hair. I have found that after using this a while, I only have to wash my hair every few days. I suspect that this is because the soap doesn't strip my hair like sulfates/detergents do.

I use the unscented one because I have skin allergies to essential oils sometimes, but the lemon mint whatsit one smells good, too.

Try these! They last forever, are easy to travel with, and have skin-nourishing ingredients.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/3/2013 12:41:00 AM More reviews by StargazerLilly

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Black

I LOVE this shampoo bar!. It lathers very well and really cleans my hair. I am a huge huge huge fan of Chagrin Valley and I thought it was my little secret so I was very surprised to find it on this website. All the shampoo bars are good, some are much better than others, but soapnuts is a keeper.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 3/17/2013 11:03:00 AM More reviews by youwillneverfindme

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

Soapnuts: Citrus Mint
PROS:
1) bar form is easy for travel
2) Even the sample lasts almost a month of washing EOD, so the price may seem a little steep at first, but it evens out fine ($2.70 for 1 oz sample, $7.75 for full sized 5.8 oz bar)
3) Vegan and certified organic
4) I really don't need a conditioner after this (although I do follow with a ACV rinse)
5) sulfate-free
6) aides in transforming my overly processed waves into beautiful, natural curls
7) If used properly (i.e. washed out correctly) I love the way my hair feels

CONS:
1) must spend A LOT of time soaping and rinsing hair

My little sample bars came in simple, tiny, folded, brown paper bags with a sticker on the front with the name of the soap. Shipping charges and time were reasonable. The sample bars are IDEAL for travel...and given that I travel a lot, I'm excited to make a switch to them.

There is a learning curve with Soapnuts. This shampoo bar insists on quite a bit of work to rinse out completely (much more work than a standard shampoo or even liquid sulfate free shampoos), even though the lather is thick and rich, although minimal; if you love lather, be prepared. Otherwise, if not rinsed completely, it leaves my hair feeling waxy and mushy when wet (sounds nasty, and it is nasty in the shower), and oily looking and gross when it dries. Interestingly, I never had an issue with this looking oily/dirty in the ROOTS of my hair (the only place I intently put the shampoo), it was solely an issue for the ends...odd? So I work the soap into the roots of my hair and rinse, while paying even more attention to the lengths during the rinse (I wonder if it's the residue from the soaped up roots that would stick to the lengths?) in order to make sure I work it out of the length. It's a lot of work for my BSL, thick, tangley hair...I need at least 10 minutes to spend washing/rinsing...considering I barely have 10 min of hot water, I feel like this is a ridiculous amount of time.

However, if washed out correctly, my hair looks and feels amazing after. My waves are magically transformed into curls and my hair looks and feels SO healthy and perfect. No fly-aways, no static, just pretty, pliable, curly hair much in the same way that TiGi's Manipulator seems to make my hair. If only I was able to reach this result most of the time.

I will be experimenting more with my sample bar and if my thoughts change, I'll update. As of right now, I won't repurchase.

From the Chargin Valley website:

When using the bars, one thing that is very important is to LATHER WELL! Our shampoo bars are superfatted and thus contain extra oils and butters to nourish your hair. If you rub the shampoo bars on your hair (like I do), you are coating your hair with superfatted soap. If you do not lather up really well, you will have areas that remain coated with the soap oils, which will; make it look "gummy." The most common spot, especially for people with long hair, is at the nape of the neck. You need to work the shampoo into your hair with water and lather up so that the dirt and extra oils not needed by your hair can be washed away.

Some find it helpful, especially in the beginning, not to rub the bar directly on their hair. They use a puff or a sponge to create foam, and only use the foam to wash. It can be very helpful in making the hair less tacky until the adjustment takes place.

If you are used to commercial shampoo and shampoo twice, you will have already noticed that the second wash produces a lot more lather. The first wash is mixing with the dirt and excess oil in your hair so the second wash is working on cleaner hair. The same is true for our shampoo bars.

So lather up, once, twice, maybe even three times at first. Then be sure to rinse, rinse, rinse!!! Again, if you have long hair, pay special attention to the middle back of the hair so that you rinse all of the soap out of your hair. continued >>