April 19, 2014 | 1848 users online

Primer/ Corrector - Face of Australia - Face Base Primer

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/31/2014 6:35:00 AM More reviews by amtn

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Black

I have tried Benefit's Porefessional. Hourglass. And a bunch of other silicone based primers. Initially, I thought primers served to smoothen the skin and create a barrier between your skin and foundation so your foundation can glide on - look smooth and flawless. With Benefit's Porefessional and L'Oreal Revitalift Miracle Blur, I definitely saw the flawless foundation effect and silky face feeling but it didn't help AT ALL with the longevity of my foundation.

I needed a primer to help with the longevity of my foundation. I found that throughout the day my face would become an oily mess, especially down my T-zone. The foundation around my nose and laugh lines would separate and look blotchy. Blush would vanish. When I touched my face, I felt foundation on my hands! My natural oils had broken down my foundation. I tried a bunch of different foundations and gave up. (I kept thinking that buying different foundations would fix the issue).

THEN I READ ABOUT THIS MAGIC STUFF and decided.. at $8-12AUD... I didn't have much to lose. I would like to deeply thank all the MUAers that wrote reviews on this product because otherwise.. I would have ended buying foundation after foundation hoping one would work for me. This primer doesn't give the siliconey feel but it does ease the application of foundation.

This primer is very light and almost like a moisturiser but works fantastically. Previously.. my foundation would barely make the 4-5 hour mark. With this primer, I managed to get through an 8 hour shift at work! My make up still looked nice, albeit the slight shine down my T-zone.

Buy it and see the difference for yourself! If like me, you've given up on silky siliconey feeling primers! Target, K-mart usually have $3 off FOA products.

EDIT: I bought the one in the purple packaging, without SPF, because I like to use my own SPF. I apply moisturiser, Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry Touch Sunscreen (WAIT FOR IT TO DRY!), FOA Primer followed by my foundation right away whilst primer is still tacky. I split a tissue in half, blot any excess foundation off my face. Concealer. Powder face with Rimmel Stay Matte and this base will not budge.

For reference, I will mention. My face is normal/oily. It is only oily down the T-zone.
This primer works well with all the foundations I own. Here they are listed from dewy finish to most long lasting/matte. I'd like to mention, I couldn't use Covergirl 3-in-1 before cos it would accentuate every dry patch but this primer makes it possible.
Bourjois Healthy Mix
MAC Pro Longwear
L'oreal True Match
Covergirl Outlast Stay Fabulous 3-in-1

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 3/18/2014 9:14:00 PM More reviews by babyjane14

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Relaxed, Medium Eyes: Brown

I can't say this does anything more than what a good moisturiser would. It has a lotion texture with a very slight silicone feel, so it does provide a nice smooth base for foundation to glide on, however this does nothing to control my oily t-zone which is what I need from a primer. I think this could work well for normal-dry skin types to prep the skin so that the foundation doesn't fade off in patches on drier areas. But for more oily skin types, this doesn't do much in terms of oil-controlling properties that prevent oil or sweat breaking through sooner and for the foundation to 'stick' to the skin and not slide off.

Overall, I think this is more suited to normal-dry skin types. It's very affordable and actually is an exact dupe for Napoleon Perdis' Auto Pilot Primer so it's a great buy but because of my skin type I would not repurchase.

rated 1 of 5 on 3/6/2014 4:59:00 AM More reviews by Manyfacesofzozo

This primer just didn't work for me at all. I have a oily t zone and when ever I apply this under my foundation, it helps my oily skin eat through my foundation. My foundation honestly stays on from much longer when I don't use this. Oh well, more primer hunting

rated 4 of 5 on 2/19/2014 6:36:00 PM More reviews by uxi

A cheap product that does the job and does not break me out (is oil-free). Has a gentle, herbal scent that is not at all irritating. Feels nice and cool when applied to the skin.
Comes in a tube with a slightly flimsy cap, but I will not complain for the price. Will recommend.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/8/2014 2:20:00 AM More reviews by emmgill

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Best primer out there. I have always used Napoleon perdis primer...dabbled and tried others but always come back to it. This has exactly the same ingredients but different fragrance. This is amaZing. It is a gel type moisturizer. It feels wonderful going on and it actually works to help your makeup stay longer and look better. I will always use this.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/16/2013 6:40:00 AM More reviews by Carla1346

BUY THIS! This is a super cheap well working primer! This is amazing ok so it's perfect it's like a moisturiser but so much better this makes my makeup last all day like all day as in 24 hours! This is great for dry skin oily skin combination skin and girl or guy can use this primer! I highly recommend it!

rated 5 of 5 on 10/20/2013 8:31:00 AM More reviews by aliciagrasby

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Relaxed, Medium Eyes: Blue

This is an amazing primer. It hydrates the skin yet is able to control shine throughout the day. It also makes my makeup last longer on my skin. Such a cheap price as well! A definite must try.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/7/2013 12:30:00 AM More reviews by knitknit

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Blue

Primer and sunscreen in one! I have died and gone to heaven! My new HG. It takes a minute or so to set after you have applied it but it isn't too drying like some primers, and isn't too oily either. Good packaging, nothing fancy but I really love squeeze tubes for liquids. Only $10 too!

rated 5 of 5 on 7/14/2013 7:14:00 PM More reviews by exu2

I purchased this from a local Priceline pharmacy for around $12 AUD because I was in search for a good quality primer. I heard that this was comparable, if not the same formula and packaging as the Napoleon Perdis Auto Pilot Pre-Foundation Skin Primer. For ONE QUARTER (or even a fifth) of the price of NP's, this makes a great dupe.
There are two primers that Face of Australia offers; one with SPF and one without but the formulation isn't too different. The primer is silicon based and contains VItamin E and Chamomile but I don't notice these having any benefits on the skin. It is oil free WOOH great for the oilies like me and the claims are mostly true e.g. smoothes skin, locks in moisture, prevents fading. It also fills in pores so they are covered, if the foundation doesn't hehehe
When applied it does feels a bit sticky and takes about one minute to dry. The first time I used it I thought it was absolute rubbish, and was just like a moisturiser, but makeup really looks heaps better with it on, and lasts way longer! Makeup stays at least 2 hours longer than it usually would, and it doesn't slip and slide everywhere. My face doesn't get oily until 6 to 8 hours later.
The smell is quite nice. The packaging is just a squeezy tube (black or white depending if you want SPF) and a black pop up lid. You only need a small amount for the whole face and one tube lasts for quite a while. A really good investment and bargain. Definitely would purchase again so highly recommended.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/23/2013 8:22:00 AM More reviews by lipstickinpink

This does make your make-up last long and makes my skin feel smooth afterwards.. making my make-up glide on. LOVE the added SPF15. Not crazy about the smell.. little off putting. But regardless still an awesome product!