November 29, 2014 | 961 users online

Eye Shadow - Sephora - Precious Metals Shadow Palette

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 11/6/2013 10:34:00 AM More reviews by alison_k

Sephora describe this as "A sleek eye shadow palette containing 35 gorgeous, harmonious shades inspired by shimmering metallics...this season is all about the rich gleam of rose gold, the chilled shine of silver, and the fiery glow of bronze. This expansive palette includes hues in a mix of matte, shimmer, pearlescent, and metallic finishes to create a variety of stunning looks."

I tried so hard with each of the shades in the palette, I really did. A lot of the shades are quite unusual and I was intrigued that I hadn't seen colors like that before. I loved that there were some matte shadows and shimmer shadows along with pearly ones too (instead of all shimmer shades like so many palettes are).

So I swatched and swatched, and wore some for work, wore some for evenings out. And after all that work I found out the following: of all the shades in the palette, a grand total of three actually are wearable for me. Most are too dark (I have deep set eyes, and dark colors make me look tired and older) and even though the colors may look nice in the pan, on my eyelids these darker shades tended to go patchy or have a lot of fallout. Some of the paler shades do not show up on my skin (NC15) and the matte white vanishes entirely without even leaving my skin matte.

The textures vary also. Some of the shadows are silky and smooth, others are more coarse-feeling (it's hard to describe, probably because of the shimmer pigments) and don't blend as well. I did get this in a swap so I am so glad that I didn't pay for this. Unfortunately this is going straight back on the swap list.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/11/2013 9:15:00 PM More reviews by MelanieNYC

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Other, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

This is a lovely palette, especially for daytime (with a little kick!) beyond the same boring flat browns.
I do feel you must wear a primer and I also use a creamy base underneath the shadows like a jumbo eyeshadow pencil or a cream shadow. This way the shadows have something to stick to and appear more vividly. I have had zero problems with fallout or creasing and no annoying eye-irritating glitter. These eyeshadows are very classy colors, if that makes sense. Perfect for work with a tad of sheen. I got this at the sale price. I don't think I would have purchases this at the full price and then I would have missed out on this beautiful set. If you are considering it and are looking for some really nice neutrals, I would say it's worth a try.