November 28, 2014 | 1896 users online

Eye Makeup Remover - Maybelline - Clean Express Classic Eye Makeup Remover

rated 5 of 5 on 10/4/2013 10:28:00 PM More reviews by knitwhit711

This is my favorite makeup remover so far. A little goes a long way so it has lasted me longer than others. I like that it is gel because my cotton ball doesn't soak it up as bad as liquids. It works fast, just a couple swipes and my eyes are clean. I've only tried it with makeup that isn't waterproof though. I also like the smell which I think is just floral enough that it doesn't smell bad. My husband is very picky with the way my makeup and remover smells on my face and won't sleep next to me if it smells too perfumy, but he actually doesn't mind this one. The cooling effect is refreshing too. I'll definitely buy again.

rated 1 of 5 on 7/12/2013 12:42:00 PM More reviews by Lilil95

The gel does nothing more than soap and water would. I do not recommend it.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/4/2013 4:23:00 PM More reviews by SparkleBunny37

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

Maybelline's Clean Express Classic Eye Makeup Remover is one of four new makeup removers launched by the brand back in January. By now most of you know that I'm on a quest to find an effective, affordable, non-irritating makeup remover, so when I caught wind of Maybelline's new offerings, I had to try one. I picked up Clean Express Classic because it seemed like the most straight forward and basic of the bunch. Maybelline says that Clean Express will help you go from "fierce to fresh faced...fast!" The formula is a gentle, oil free water based gel; it's ophthalmologist and allergy tested and safe for contact lense wearers. I bought my 4fl oz (120ml) bottle at Walmart for $4.97. This makeup remover was made in America. Maybelline does test on animals.
I like this makeup remover's packaging. A translucent, pink plastic bottle topped by a white cap covered in lucite. The packaging is recyclable. The front label features the Maybelline and Clean Express logos, as well as a few claims The back of the bottle offers a product description in English and French, as well as a full ingredient list. Removing the cap, you'll find an open hole for dispensing. Because Clean Express Classic is a gel, it doesn't just pour out, it needs to be squeezed out.
Maybelline's Clean Express Classic Eye Makeup Remover is a thick but not very viscose, clear gel. This makeup remover is heavily fragranced, which is entirely unnecessary. The scent is very floral and perfumey. Why Maybelline decided their Clean Express line needed to be so strongly scented, but it was a poor choice on their part; fragrance is a skin and eye irritant, no one needs to rubbing it all over one of the most delicate parts of the face. All that being said, Clean Express Classic is surprisingly gentle and very effective, but still not my ideal eye makeup remover. Clean Express Classic does not burn or sting, even on the waterline (thought it will sting if you get it in your actual eyeball). Clean Express is great for removing eyeshadow and non-waterproof eyeliner and mascara. However very stubborn, long wearing eye makeup will put up a fight and get left behind. Maybelline claims that "eye makeup is gently removed without harsh rubbing or greasy residue", and for the most that's true. Maybelline Clean Express Classic rinses cleanly and leaves my eye area mostly clean and feeling pretty nice.
I'm very pleased with Maybelline Clean Express Classic Eye Makeup Remover, but it still isn't absolutely perfect. It's pretty gentle and fairly effective, but I think I'm gonna try out Clean Express Waterproof next. I hope it combines the same gentle formula, with maybe a little more of the "quick break technology" that Maybellien boasts about. I wish Maybelline would reformulate to include less, or even completely eliminate, fragrance. Really it isn't needed in an eye makeup remover. I definitely recommend Maybelline's Clean Express Classic Eye Makeup Remover if you don't wear heavy or waterproof makeup (and aren't scent sensitive). I'm not sure if I'll repurchase Clean Express Classic, I want to try more from Maybelline's Clean Express line first.