November 28, 2014 | 1982 users online

Liquid - Estee Lauder - Double Wear Stay in place Makeup

12/2012 REFORMULATION

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 11/26/2014 8:03:00 PM More reviews by babykitten9

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Other

I was really desperate to try it! But I couldn't find the right shade in Holland because the lightest shade they have over here is way too orange/dark on me (sorry, can't remember the number). So I went for it and ordered the Shell 1C0 from the UK thinking that it will work perfectly on my pale skin with pink undertones. Well, not quite so. It's way too light for me (and I usually go for the lightest foundations in any brand). If I apply it all over I look like a ghost! Another tricky thing is that my oily acne-prone skin is quite flakey in some areas (bp and bha treatments nearly daily to avoid/battle breakouts). And I do have enlarged pores in my t-zone. I have tried so many ways to apply this foundation to make myself look alive and not made up over the top and the only way that works for me is to apply it with my fingers. I actually quite hate doing that because I am addicted to my beauty blender :) but that's the only way to make sure that this foundation doesn't sit in my pores and is spread evenly without creating an extemely "flakey" face. It covers really welll and you can layer it if you are carefull, otherwise you'll end up with a "crispy" face (smile and you get your foundation chipping off). The oil control is great but... if your face is dehydrated/not moisturized enough you really don't want to use this foundation! It won't make you look any better. I am really torn between love and hate with this product. You have to master it to make it look perfect and I am not that far yet, thought I did quite hit that point once alreade (wish it was a bit darker thought). So just good luck with finding your perfect match :)
The packaging is just so outdated! Come on! How come EL can't afford to put a pump in it?
PS Their double-wear light version has been my favorite for several years already.

rated 2 of 5 on 11/25/2014 12:03:00 PM More reviews by Vanityfemme

Although I love this foundation simply because of it's staying power and how nice it looks on the skin, I wouldn't say for me its an every day foundation because on my skin I find it quite thick and in all honesty when I saw how thick it looked when applied onto my hand to swatch it I was quite horrified at how thick the texture was because I usually like thin based foundations but I will say if you are looking for a foundation to cover up any blemishes/scars/acne then this foundation is the one for you! I don't reach for it as much because I have pretty good skin anyways but like I mentioned it would be for people who have problamatic skin just not for me.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/24/2014 4:42:00 PM More reviews by nunyuh

Ok, LONG review but lots of good info and tips:

I'm 34 and have been looking for a foundation that doesn't melt, flawless finish and good coverage. This works great! Discovered it from a sample I got at the counter. That's a good way to try it out. I apply it with a moist beauty blender. I do NOT use primer or powder, this foundation has a built-in primer and powder can destroy the finish. My face doesn't feel "tacky" if I don't set it, but try it with and without for yourself and find what's best for you.

IMPORTANT: This foundation is NOT a matte finish foundation. Many here confuse "stay put" and matte for some reason. Even calling it semi-matte feels wrong... It's a dewy finish makeup. Powder May mattify it, but for oily skin you'll need to blot after an hour.
Oil will dissolve the makeup so be careful what moisturizer you use, water-based only.

Here's how I do it: Wet and ring out your beauty blender. If you don't have a pump, take the bottle and lightly press the mouth of the bottle to the applicating-end of your BB and flip the bottle, leaving a "swatch" of foundation on the blender. One time and you'll get enough for your nose and under-eye area. Flipping the bottle twice will give you enough for half-all of your face, but I suggest doing half your face at a time. It sets too fast to give your whole face a proper application at once. From here, deposit the foundation on your face and hurry up and pat-pat-pat until you don't see any streaks or patches of skin. This should only take you about 30 seconds. After that it starts to set, and look cakey if you keep messing with it. The key to applying this so it looks nice, is FORCING yourself to say "Ok, this is acceptable" and then -Leaving It Alone-. Let it set, as it sets it begins to look nicer and dewey and flawless. Unlike other foundations that don't set so fast, you can't "play with it" forever before you decide to set it with powder. So the key is to achieve a finished application in the "tough spots" before it sets... under and around the eyes, around the nose, and general blending on the face/jawline. Use a beauty blender for this makeup. Any "brushing" motion at all, and the makeup will move and streak as it sets. It's just too heavy for brushes and sets too darn fast.

Yes, it will "blank" your face (that's a term I coined as far as I can tell). You will look like a masked person, but such is med-full coverage foundation. Find a perfect colour shade and this will be easier to accept. I know, it sounds like I put on heavy foundation but Nope, it's just REALLY pigmented! I take a Q-tip and dip it in some olive oil and remove the foundation that got on my lips to even begin looking human again. Don't judge the finish until you've finished your makeup, this isn't for ammeters. Estee Lauder really decided to be aggressive with the formula of this foundation, it's seriously made to stay-put so you have to know how to apply this make-up.
Tips for day wear: Some think if you wear this foundation, you're committing to a "full-face" look. Not true, you CAN make yourself look naturally beautiful during the day. Like Kate Hudson once said about one of her cover-shoots, "It takes a lot of makeup to look naturally flawless." Just don't do a heavy contour, keep the blush a cream and not powder blush, and do a tight-line on your eyes and a great lengthening single coat of mascara and you're golden for wearing this during the day without looking like you're trying too hard. This makeup will make you look good during the day if you do it right, but of course during the evening you'll look un-naturally perfect and it's more appropriate to go to town with they eyes or lips and see the real potential of this foundation.

Pros: sets flawlessly, looks natural for a medium-full coverage foundation, lots of colours, high quality product, spf 15 without camera flash-back.
Cons: expensive, no pump (but the M.A.C. pump fits), must work with it to perfect application as it dries fast (not really a "con" but I can tell it frustrates a lot of people).

rated 5 of 5 on 11/22/2014 9:57:00 AM More reviews by BritneyLFC

I absolutely love this foundation! I apply at 7:30am, come home at 3:10pm and it hasn't budged! It really does last all day. The only downside is the bottle doesn't have a pump and the lightest shade shell is still a wee bit dark for me but still a really good foundation

rated 4 of 5 on 11/21/2014 10:21:00 PM More reviews by alejmorsgal

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Great product! Long lasting 15 hr matte wear. I love this foundation. You have to apply it quickly because it does dry fast. I put this makeup on around 7 am and it still on when I finish my day around 8 or 9 pm. The only thing that I do not like is the color option for brown skin. The color that closest matches me is called Amber Honey, but it is rather red and the other colors are too light and too dark. But it still looks great.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/21/2014 10:16:00 PM More reviews by Bountiful23

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Fine Eyes: Black

Omg... this is definitely my new staple! I was very surprised in that this was my first Estee lauder product. I have tried so many brands, foundations and powders but nothing gave me that "wow" factor. They either broke me out, oxidized into a different color, lacked staying power, or just didn't provide the right coverage. This foundation is perfect all around!

rated 5 of 5 on 11/21/2014 2:54:00 PM More reviews by AnnaLiana

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I love this foundation so much! I have normal skin with light acne so I want a full coverage Foundation. Double Wear gives me all I need. The coverage is AMAZING, I feel so confident when I wear it. But still I don't think it feels like a mask whatsoever, of course you feel it but it really doesn't bother you. It lasts almost all day, I only recognize my pimples in my chin area after a few hours, but since I use a good setting spray (Urban Decay All Nighter) that problem is solved. I have to admit that it does bother me how the foundation doesn't have a bumper, because I always get too less or too much. But I love the luxurious glass packaging with the gold details! Of course it's more on the pricy side but it's worth it!

rated 5 of 5 on 11/20/2014 12:24:00 PM More reviews by olgakozub

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I have previously been using the MAC Studio Fix Fluid, but it wasn't giving me enough coverage.

I LOVE this foundation! I have really difficult skin to work with; it's extremely oily, but I have quite a few scars/dry patches. This works absolutely perfectly! It covers EVERYTHING, and I mean everything. You can, however, make it look more natural - depends how you apply it.

My face also stays matte for most of the day, which was a true shocker. Normally I start shining 1-2 hours of applying makeup. I have to however apply some powder, mainly around my T Zone.

BE CAREFUL: it is really easy to make it look cakey, if you don't apply it right. Make sure you hydrate your face before application. I use a Garnier face moisturizer for dry/sensitive skin, even though mine is oily - it makes the foundation look a lot more natural. Furthermore, I would definitely recommend applying it with a wet makeup sponge - I use the real techniques one and I am LOVING it.

Disadvantages:
-Very pricey (although it is worth the price)
-No pump, which can be very frustrating
-Difficult to remove, which can be annoying as it's time consuming.

Overall, I absolutely love it, and would recommend it to people who have quite a few imperfections, or just prefer full coverage. If you have dry skin, it might not work for you though.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/19/2014 11:31:00 AM More reviews by geekymakeup

I have been wearing this makeup for wow 20 years. I used the original formula and the new formula. I love love this makeup. I have very oily skin and it really helps to stay on. Most makeup would separate on my face, but this stays put. I once wear it for 37 hours with no issues and I still looked fabulous. You can create light to heavy coverage depending on your age. When I was in my 20s I wore it light. Now in my late 30s, I put a bit more on. if you have dry skin, make sure to highly moisturize your face or the lines will show. It is very well worth the money and gives you lovely coverage. Also now that there are more colors options, I can stick to one color. Be thankful, in the past, I had to blend my own color. Thank you Estee for expanding into more yellow based colors. I will set my makeup using the Dermablend Setting Powder. Estee Lauder powder does not keep me oil free. I have even tried the Estee Lauder mineral powder, does not work for me.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/17/2014 7:10:00 AM More reviews by Kayla19

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I was unsure about buying this foundation due to the mixed reviews, but I'm so glad that I did! It gives me full coverage, yet doesn't look cakey at all. I think perhaps the negative reviews come from people with either bad skin or those who are simply using too much product. If your skin's dry then I probably would avoid this foundation as I can imagine it would highlight these patches. Whilst it is expensive I don't need to use much product at all so I can see this lasting me a long time.