MakeupAlley has a FREE Android App!

Estee Lauder Double Wear Stay in place Makeup

4.1

New as of 12/2012 Ingredients: water/aqua/eau, cyclopentasiloxane, trimethylsiloxysilicate, peg/ppg-18/18 dimethicone, butylene glycol, tribehnin, polyglyceryl-3 diisostearate, magnesium sulfate, tocopheryl acetate, polymethylsilsequioxane, methicone, laureth-7, xantham gum, alumina, sodium dehydroacetate, disteardimonium hectorite, cellulose gum, propylene carbonate, pentaerythrityl tetra-di-t-butyl hydroxyhydrocinnamate, phenoxyethanol, [+/- iron oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI77499), mica, titanium dioxide (CI 77891)]
12/2012 REFORMULATION

on 3/31/2015 7:13:00 PM

I have mixed feelings about this foundation. When I first bought it I was completely in love with every aspect of it, the medium/high coverage (depending on how you apply it), the packaging, the colour range (I wear the palest shade) and the finish. But after a month or so, the cracks began to show (literally!!) I found that on occasion, when Id finish applying all of my makeup, I would look closely and actually see that double wear had cracked around my mouth and nose area and had separated and gone patchy. It is an extremely difficult foundatiom to blend as it dries super quickly and can on occasion immediately cling to any dry skin even after exfoliating and moisturising religiously, which is a massive shame as around 70% of the time the finish is absolutely amazing on my skin, looks slightly dewy but matte in the right areas. The coverage is something I cannot fault. I don't have bad skin, I get a few blemishes and spots (usually hormonal) and have an oily T zone. this foundation covers all redness and discolouring of my skin, making it a perfect base/canvas for me. I would definitely buy this foundation again but not to wear on a daily basis- more as an option for a night out or a day where I feel like I need more coverage than usual. A little goes a long way with this foundation and the last 30ml bottle I bought lasted me a considerably good period of time.

on 3/31/2015 12:21:00 PM

I bought this foundation after seeing people rave about the staying power this has. Foundation doesn't stay on my face easily so I was looking for a good coverage foundation which will stay on my face. The formula is watery which I liked and when I first bought it, it applied beautifully and stayed for about 5 hours. However after using it for a month I noticed it beginning to go cakey even after just one thin layer. It was clinging to dry patches (which is new for me because my skin was more oily than dry) and was making me look like a powdery ball. It's really damaged my skin! It was the only thing I changed in my skin/make up routine and I knew this was causing my once normal verging on oily skin turn dry. I've stopped using it since I realised it made my skin dry. I consulted in some skin care people at Clinique and clarins and they all said its dried my skin out. I will never be using this again, it's ruined my skin! Foundation just doesn't apply as flawlessly anymore.

on 3/30/2015 3:56:00 PM

I have been using this product for a few months now and I love it! At first I had mixed feeling about it because the shade wasn't "perfect" on me but after trying a few different ones I finally stuck with 2N1 Desert Beige. This applies great with a beauty blender if you do not need the thick full coverage. I first started using it with a buffing brush and found that it got cakey and did not look natural. Once I tried it with a beauty blender I fell in love! Beautiful finish, keeps me matte all day, long lasting, and a wide range of colors! If you're looking for a medium to full long wearing foundation this is it!

Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral

Firstly, the price of this foundation, in my opinion, is overpriced. I paid £30 which amounts to around 45 dollars. A lot of product is wasted too because it doesn't have a pump and is also very watery, so it pours out too quickly. The packaging itself is lovely, I personally like the glass packaging and it looks pretty fancy, just hoping I never drop it! It's small too, but still has 30ml like other foundations, so it can easily fit in your makeup bag.

Moving onto the actual product, the colour range is not great and they are all very orange-toned. Can yellow-toned girls ever find a foundation to fit?! As said above, the foundation is very runny/watery. Saying this however, it does take a bit of effort to blend it, especially around dryer areas it starts to cake. This foundation is very hit and miss. Sometimes it lasts about 4 hours before it starts to feel heavy and gross, sometimes way less. I have had tried longer lasting foundations. It is very high coverage, so if you are into that and like a 'flawless finish' then maybe this foundation will work for you. But imo, it felt heavy and caked on, it didn't last long enough and it didn't give that flawless, airbrushed finish.

on 3/30/2015 2:20:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

For context- I have oily combination olive skin which is patchy/uneven-toned and prone to occasional breakouts. I've tried a lot of liquid foundations (most Chanel, MAC Studio Fix, Lancome, NARS Sheer and Matte, Sunday Riley, Hourglass, Armani Luminous Silk, etc) and some powder formulations.

I was looking for a medium coverage foundation that wouldn't melt off after an hour but was also pretty easy to apply and didn't cling to dry patches. This is a very thick liquid foundation which I have tried applying with a damp BB sponge, an EL paddle brush, and also mixed with moisturiser. It's basically very fast drying and thick, so it's hard to blend.

Coverage is great, as is the colour match (I'm Ivory Beige), but it does cling to dry patches (even though I thoroughly moisturise) and cakes on if you're not careful. I'd say it's a good one for night time since it won't move and keeps oil at bay for a good amount of time, but not a nice every day foundation. Will go back to my Chanel Aqua Vita Lumiere until I find something better.

on 3/28/2015 7:33:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

Creamy with good coverage. Using a damp sponge is a really good idea. Coverage is very good. I wear this when I am looking for lasting power...not everyday.

on 3/28/2015 6:45:00 AM

My skin is normal with occasional breakouts, around NC20. I use 1W1 Bone and find it to be a pretty good colour match.

When I first tried this I was using the RT Expert Face brush which gave a very heavy, flat finish. Now I prefer using a damp RT sponge and I find that this really melts DW into my skin. I like the way this looks - medium coverage - and will wear it on a daily basis, set with a transparent finishing powder.

The best thing about this foundation is that it looks exactly the same after 12 hours of wear as it did when I put it on. It holds onto my blush and bronzer, and truly stays in place!

I really don't mind that this doesn't have a pump, as it makes the packaging more compact. I love the frosted glass bottle and gold lid.

Estee Lauder Double Wear costs AUD$50 at Myer, for 30mL.

on 3/28/2015 5:51:00 AM

Love this foundation for special occasions or nights out! Its a bit thick for every day use or for work or something so I use a lighter coverage foundation on a day to day basis. Plus this isn't cheap so its nice to save it for the weekends! Very good coverage and you don't have to worry about it coming off because it doesn't budge! The fact that its oil free is a good bonus too! ( I always buy oil free products because I have combo skin/ oily t zone)

on 3/27/2015 2:54:00 PM

This is a medium coverage foundation on me and I can not layer it to full as it goes even more Cakey and patchy. My skin type is normal leaning towards dry in the winter and this is where this foundation lets me down badly. I have some quite large pores and being in my mid forties fine lines around eyes and upper lip and this foundation emphasises them badly. Perhaps someone younger with relatively good skin leaning on the oilier side will find a hit with this foundation but sadly it's not for me. I'll stick with my guerlain parure gold which I love. For reference I am nw20/25 and i use shade 02 in guerlain.

on 3/27/2015 9:35:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

I was so impressed with the ELDW light, so I got a sample of ELDW in desert beige.

It was gorgeous. Perfect color match to my skin. I am an nc20 - 25 gal.

The only thing is, it both ELDW light and ELDW felt tight on my face. Is it because that's how the make up work? Mattifying it? Or is my skin too dry for those foundation?

That tightened feeling on the face happens with those two. But overall, natural cover no make-up look and feels light except for the tight feeling.

Video Reviews & Tutorials

Estee Lauder Double Wear Stay in Place Foundation Review/ Holy Grail Foundation by BeautynLifewSue

Estee Lauder Double Wear Foundation Review + Demo | Chloe Luckin by Chloe Luckin

Estee Lauder Double Wear Foundation First impression/Demo by Lextaylor7

Estée Lauder Double Wear Foundation (NEW FORMULA) Review | MyMakeupPerspective by MyMakeupPerspective