MakeupAlley Android appFREE DOWNLOAD
Get MakeupAlley App >

Estee Lauder Double Wear Stay in place Makeup

4.1

New as of 12/2012 Ingredients: water/aqua/eau, cyclopentasiloxane, trimethylsiloxysilicate, peg/ppg-18/18 dimethicone, butylene glycol, tribehnin, polyglyceryl-3 diisostearate, magnesium sulfate, tocopheryl acetate, polymethylsilsequioxane, methicone, laureth-7, xantham gum, alumina, sodium dehydroacetate, disteardimonium hectorite, cellulose gum, propylene carbonate, pentaerythrityl tetra-di-t-butyl hydroxyhydrocinnamate, phenoxyethanol, [+/- iron oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI77499), mica, titanium dioxide (CI 77891)]
12/2012 REFORMULATION

on 5/28/2015 10:29:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm

I have an oily skin and this is My favorite of all times so far. Using it for more than a year.

on 5/25/2015 10:56:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Right firstly. I have a love/hate relationship with this foundation.
Pros-
1. I rated it four because it is- as far as I know, one of the most high coverage foundations around. A lot of people need or want this for and if they do they should know that it will do just this. Cover every flaw and do a very good job of it.
2. When I had acne (prior to accutane) I used this to make myself feel human and try to hide the spots. It worked better than anything else I found for doing so.
3. Basically all pros are the coverage incase you haven't gathered that already!

CONS (and there are a lot!)
1. Even though I already had acne when I used this, it became a viscous circle. My skin broke out so badly using it that I couldn't stop wearing it. I loved the coverage but hated my skin & I was desperate to stop using it, but couldn't bring myself to give it up as no other foundation matches the coverage!
2. It feels like a mask. Literally. Ever worn a clay face mask - sort of a less extreme version of this. When you smile you feel your face crack.
3. It's expensive and with my acne skin I was going through it pretty quick.
4. Many people said that even when cleansing thouroughly it's very hard to remove all traces of this foundation. I believe this was the case with me although back then I used high street cleansers and now I use mainly eve lom (which is amazing!)
5. My friend started using it recently and I have barely seen her with one spot until she began using this. She does use high street cleansers.

So long story short, it was never worth me using it, but even now that I don't have acne, I still wish I could go and buy it and I need to convince myself out of it to save my skin.
It is amazing & possibly for people who won't break out it would be the perfect foundation but I suggest if you get it and notice a break out stop immediately as it is addictive when you are trying to hide spots!

on 5/25/2015 10:18:00 AM

The best foundation ever! BUT, you have to know how to apply it properly. First, is very important to clean, tone your face and then to hydrate it ( I am using Palmer's daily calming facial lotion) and works tremendous for me. Next, I apply primer where I have BIG pores, then wait for 5 minutes. This foundation works best with Real Tehniques expert face brush and I am stippling it. This is not a foundation for those with dry, very dry skin. Only for oily/combination. * If you take it off at the and of the day you will not break-out.

on 5/25/2015 6:17:00 AM

I was so excited to try this foundation, I went and got a sample from the counter at boots and the woman was very helpful, I was so happy with my shade.
Took it home and tried it for a few days, absolutely loved it, I wanted for everyday wear.
It did become oily after a few hours and I literally couldn't touch it up as it went all funny on my face.
ANYWAY, because I struggle so badly with finding the right shade I decided to buy it. Big mistake. Before I even ran out of the sample and opened the main bottle my skin started breaking out, like BAD! It was so red and rashy and covered in spots. And I usually only get the odd one here and there.
I mean it was good but I can't imagine it is for everyday wear, very disappointed.

on 5/23/2015 6:34:00 AM

I have always loved this foundation for the full coverage which lasts all day and that it is one of the few brands that has a colour match to my skin tone. However, it made me break out and gave me the worst acne I have ever had. As soon as this foundation ran out I switched to Rimmel's Match Perfection and my skin cleared up right away. I've gone back to Double Wear a few times and every time my skin has had severe breakouts. I have heard from others that it is terrible for the skin and I completely agree. I also prefer foundations with a pump. As much as I love the coverage, it would be impossible for me to go back to this foundation.

on 5/22/2015 5:36:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

First Time trying:
I got a sample of this foundation last year, simply because this product was recommended to me by a friend who also has oily skin. The light shade in this line is actually just a teeny tiny bit darker than my skin tone, not even a whole shade darker so I though I would go ahead and try to work with it. I applied this foundation many ways, over primer, without primer, using a make-up brush and with my beauty blender. For me this foundation always settled into my pores, which I have large pores, even with primer. Also, it didn't give me the greatest coverage, and multiple coats felt to heavy on my skin. I found that after wearing this foundation for a few hours the creases on the side of my nose didn't even have foundation, it just melted away. After a couple days I started breaking out and decided not to purchase the full size

Second Time trying:
Even after having a bad experience I decided to re-try this product this year and unfortunately I still didn't have any luck with this product. It still didn't give me great coverage and would get splotchy during the day. Also, I ended up breaking out again after using this for a few days.

** If you are interested in this product, I do recommend getting a sample first because my friend still raves about how much she loves this product.**

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Finally got around to trying this after seeing so many good reviews. After my recent incredibly positive experience with another long-wear formula (Revlon ColorStay), I was curious to see how they would compare.

I went to my local Sephora and they recommended the Cool Bone color. [Side note: the Sephora rep told me that she had on Double Wear and had been wearing it since 4am that day. I was at the store sometime in the afternoon, and her skin looked great! She also mentioned that it was probably the most popular foundation amongst the staff at the store. Well, okay then! I guess this is good stuff!]

My first attempt at applying it involved going through all of the usual steps of my routine: serum/retinol, moisturizer, high SPF sunscreen and then primer. I also applied the Double Wear foundation the way I usually do — with my fingers. I have foundation brushes, but am usually too lazy to bother with them (my hands are a lot easier to wash).

A little heads up: the color was a little scary at first. Out of the bottle and still pretty wet, it looked like it was going to be a huge mismatch for my skin. It was definitely...weird. Orange-y or something. Like wet clay versus dry? I wasn't prepared for that, but fortunately it ended up being a great match for my skin tone once it dried and set. Phew! Mask-face averted!

After a few hours, I noticed that the finish was a little off and had settled strangely into certain areas. In particular, the slight creases near my mouth were noticeably magnified.

Hmmm. Okay, let's go back to Sephora and see what they think?

I flagged down the first person I could find and explained that I was trying out the Double Wear but wasn't too keen on the way it looked — was I maybe doing something wrong? She gently explained that long-wear formulas like this work better if buffed *into* the skin (versus just kind of sitting on top of it, as is what apparently happens when applied by hand) and recommended an Urban Decay blurring brush that she really liked.

She set me up with a makeup artist so I could see how to apply it properly and how to really get it to look good. So glad I persevered! The difference from using the Urban Decay brush was amazing. So much lighter and more natural-looking (no weird creasing/magnification of flaws! no streaking like my old brushes!), even though this is really a medium-to-full coverage formula.

It's a little bit dewier in finish than my current favorite (ColorStay) and it's nice to have this as an option in my long wear arsenal for when I want that kind of look. One major difference between the two is that the Double Wear foundation never seems to quite fully set. Both methods of application (fingers/buffing brush) resulted in an ever-so-slightly-tacky finish on touch, something which I haven't experienced at all with ColorStay (it sets dry).

As such, this probably won't make it into my every day routine (one of my primary goals right now is to reduce my dry cleaning bill and the ColorStay doesn't rub off while the Double Wear does, at least a little bit). Maybe when things warm up around here and I'm not wearing my favorite little black jacket with the foundation-magnet collar on a daily basis, I might be more inclined to give Double Wear more of a go. It's also obviously quite a bit more expensive, so there's that.

Still, very happy to have discovered not one but two great foundations that I love in such a short span of time! And, a great new brush!

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

I've always been really afraid to try this because it's geared more towards normal/combo/oily skin types. My skin is very (cool toned) pale and very dry, which makes finding a good foundation difficult sometimes.

I've been using Smashbox studio skin 15 hr with great success, love the formula and the longevity and that it doesn't suck the moisture out of my skin. Only complaint is the lightest shade is just a little too dark/warm for me, and the coverage isn't quite as full as I would like.

Everyone always raves about how amazing double wear is and how versatile the shades are etctc, but I've seen mixed reviews about how it fares against dry skin so I've avoided it. Buuut I was out shopping and happened upon the Estée Lauder counter in belk and being the impulse buyer I am I took the plunge and bought it in 1c1. I am very, very impressed. Not only does it match my skin tone well (not perfect, but darn close), but it DOESN'T dry me out. It looks surprisingly natural, and the coverage is amazing. I am very careful about moisturizing a ton before I wear this (out of fear) but so far so good, applies just as well as studio skin. I don't really need to comment on the longevity of this foundation, it's renowned for it.

I didn't expect to like this more than studio skin but...I think I like this more than studio skin. I want to try to mix the two and see what happens. In closing, I would definitely recommend this to anyone at least to try it. Well worth the hype and the price tag.

on 5/20/2015 1:47:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I have very oily skin with lots of discoloration (freckles, melasma, redness). No makeup, no matter how heavy-duty, lasts on me while controlling oil, but this is the best that I've found. It gives the best coverage I've found and controls oil the best, although I still have to blot and at the end of the day it's mostly gone from my nose and between my brows. But that's still waayy better than with any other foundation I've used.

The finish is a little dull and flat, and I don't match any of their colors perfectly. But, when choosing a color you don't have to worry about it oxidizing because the color stays true. Other foundations can turn really dark/orange on me really quick.

So while it's not perfect for me, and undoubtedly will be too much for those who don't need something so heavy, for my type of skin, nothing has beat it!

Skin: Very Oily, Deep Dark, Warm

Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse

I like this but can't seem to find the perfect shade. Mahogany is too dark but the next shade up is a little too light. It does keep your face matte and it stays in place throughout the workday. They are also telling the truth about this not transferring. I work in a office and hate having my makeup prints on office documents and then others see it. That doesn't happen with this foundation. I just need to play around with some shades and see about possibly mixing two which is not too cool considering the price. But, overall this is an excellent option especially if you are looking for all-day wear and oil control.

Video Reviews & Tutorials

Estee Lauder Double Wear Foundation Review + Demo | Chloe Luckin by Chloe Luckin

Estee Lauder Double Wear Stay in Place Foundation Review/ Holy Grail Foundation by BeautynLifewSue

Estee Lauder Double Wear Foundation First impression/Demo by Lextaylor7

Estée Lauder Double Wear Foundation (NEW FORMULA) Review | MyMakeupPerspective by MyMakeupPerspective