Estee Lauder Double Wear Stay in place Makeup

4.1

New as of 12/2012 Ingredients: water/aqua/eau, cyclopentasiloxane, trimethylsiloxysilicate, peg/ppg-18/18 dimethicone, butylene glycol, tribehnin, polyglyceryl-3 diisostearate, magnesium sulfate, tocopheryl acetate, polymethylsilsequioxane, methicone, laureth-7, xantham gum, alumina, sodium dehydroacetate, disteardimonium hectorite, cellulose gum, propylene carbonate, pentaerythrityl tetra-di-t-butyl hydroxyhydrocinnamate, phenoxyethanol, [+/- iron oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI77499), mica, titanium dioxide (CI 77891)]
12/2012 REFORMULATION

on 8/28/2015 7:11:00 PM

Skin: Other, Medium, Warm

Love this. It's my go to foundation that doesn't break me out. This has medium to full coverage depending on the type of skin you have. I have acne scars (hyperpigmentation) and this covers it so easy without having to layer (1 layer only!). I found that this foundation works really well with the Smashbox Photofinish Light and the Real Techniques Buffing Brush (from the core collection). This lasts my entire day, 14+ hours! This doesn't smudge or transfer onto clothing. I've travelled, napped, swam etc in this foundation. It stays on even in super humid summer weather. This does get cakey if you use too much. I think it's more for combo/ oily skin. I guess dry skin could use it if they moisturize a lot before using. This does catch onto dry patches if you're applying thickly. It smells a little bit like paint but nothing you can smell as you are applying. I use Rattan 2W2 and Im a NC30/Punjab.

on 8/28/2015 2:02:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Estee Lauder Double-Wear got me through the very worst of my acne-breakouts, and despite the fact I no longer have to wear it every day, on a night out or special occasion it's still the first and only foundation I reach for. I wore this foundation to my early-morning college convocation and I still looked flawless in my graduation pictures all the way through the evening.

I can write this review from two perspectives, 1) being when I had oily, sensitive, dehydrated skin with cystic acne, and 2) how it wear's now that I've been on accutane for a few months and my skin is clear.

*Oily skin - technique *
Even when my skin was oiler, I always used a damp sponge - either my beauty blender or real techniques. I used the sponge not so much to stipple, but to (very gentle) drag a very thin layer across my face to cover and redness and blend it in. This is because I wanted the *thinnest* layer possible to start. I'm talking this than a pea-size amount of foundation for the whole face. A damp sponge also buys you more time to really work the foundation; this stuff sets fast. I would then take a step back from the mirror, asses where I needed coverage (normally the jaw-line and chin) then I would start stippling more of the foundation only where I needed it. Using this technique, I was able to cover all my acne without concealer. This routine took no time at all and I looked flawless without being cakey. I do however recommend that if you have lines in your under-eye area, that you use a hydrating concealer in lieu of foundation. That's pretty standard with all makeup applications though.

*Oily skin - wear*
Despite my skin being oily, this stuff never slid around or melted off. Additionally, I found the foundation - while dry once set - never futher dehydrated my skin or caused me to break out. So long as I was wearing a good moisturizer, the application always went well with no mess or reactive flaking. Once I got shiny after a 40-min walk in +30 heat, but my makeup still looked so flawless, pore-proof, etc., I didn't bother to touch up until I got home. That was the only time though I ever touched up my double-wear. I've never experienced a foundation that could hold up so perfectly in harsh conditions. Additionally, I find my blush and bronzer always last longer when I use Double-Wear as opposed to other foundations. I also never used to wear primer with this foundation during those days.

*Dry skin - application*
After being on accutane I use the same method with the damp sponge, however once my skin cleared up I noticed that instead of raised bumps, I had deep craters where my acne was. So what I started doing was hydrating my skin with a moisturizer - any moisturizer with SPF and hyralauronic acid - and once I was nice and dewy I would follw up with the benefit porefessional (the only primer that fills my pores and doesn't dry me out). The combination was fabulous, and while primer *does* add an extra layer or makeup, I would use so little of the Double-Wear to get the coverage I need that it didn't matter.

*Dry skin - wear*
Surprisingly, with good moisturizing, this stuff never dries me out. Even my L'Oreal Lumi foundation dries me out these days. Once, my boyfriend and I were having dinner on a well-lit patio, and I was wearing a combination of Porefessional and Double-Wear, and he looked at me and said, "It amazes me how you can make your makeup look like skin."

I have bought three bottles of Double-Wear. I will keep buying, always. Thin layers, damp sponge, good moisturizing. All you need to know.

on 8/28/2015 9:14:00 AM

Now I am a bargain hunter. I love saving money, so investing in this product was a big thing for me.

My first opinion of this product when I was first colour matched (I am 1N2 Ecru) was brilliant. I loved it. It made me feel incredible, until I got home and looked in the mirror with natural lighting and saw that it had clung to the dry, flaky patches of skin on my nose, around my mouth and between my brows. I was furious. I'd just spent £30 on a foundation I was sure I wasn't going to wear.

However, after removing my makeup, applying a toner, moisturiser and primer and reapplying the product, my opinion completely changed. It made my skin look flawless (and I have quite temperamental skin). With a good base and applying this product with my fingers I saw a completely different finish. Even after I'd had it on for a good five or six hours, it had not budged! I am yet to try this product without a primer etc, but as my skincare routine is pretty rubbishy (whoops) it has a large part to play in why it doesn't sit well on my skin without any preparation!

It does have a glowy finish, where I prefer a matte, but fixing it with a loose finishing powder sorted this out for me completely.

Despite my initial fears, I am a convert!!!

on 8/27/2015 4:46:00 PM

I never thought I would say this, but I found my HG! I've got some acne, and hyper-pigmentation that I'm trying to cover and this gives me great coverage. On big spots I still need to use a bit of concealer, and it doesn't completely cover my dark undereye circles, but I need significantly less concealer and makeup than with my old standby (Clinique acne solutions). I have drier skin, so I do need to moisturize quite a bit to wear this, but the staying power is fantastic. I haven't broken out from it, and the color is a great match (Ecru). Wish it was a pump/squeeze top instead of the pour top and wish it was cheaper (I tend to get it from duty free...flight attendant perk!) Maybe when my skin clears up I will look for something a little less full coverage, but for full coverage this is perfect. Love love love!

on 8/27/2015 6:47:00 AM

I'm in my 50's and I really like how this goes on and with the powder compact it gives me full coverage. It doesn't feel sticky or cake up later on me. I do have combo skin. I use moisturizer wait a bit, use a primer, wait bit, then I put the some foundation on both cheeks, nose and chin. I do find using a dry sponge works best for me.

on 8/27/2015 5:17:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Other

This foundation was specially recommended to me by the saleslady because I have lots of acne-scarring and tend to need higher coverage in a foundation and this foundation really does deliver in that aspect. It is high coverage while still feeling light on the face. It also really does stay in place all day and even didn't seem to come off when I was in the water. It also didn't break me out which was amazing because I have very sensitive, acne-prone skin.

That said, the reason why I gave this such a low rating is because of how cakey this ends up looking after 30 minutes. People have told me that I look much older with it and that it looks like I'm wearing tons of makeup even when I put very little on my face. Though i'm only 23, I easily look 30 with this foundation and it settles into any fine lines you may have on your face, magnifying them and making them more apparent. For the hefty price I paid for this foundation I was really disappointed that the finish looked so bad that even drugstore foundations would perform better.

I have tried everything I could from applying it with everything from regular foundation brushes to damp sponges and even the mac 187 stippling brush. But nothing has helped because I always come away looking streaky and cakey. I have tried applying it after a primer or with moisturizer underneath and even have tried mixing moisturizer into the foundation before applying it in order to make it lighter. But the end results have all been the same: Cake face.

I really cannot recommend this product to anyone.

on 8/26/2015 1:29:00 PM

This foundation is great for combination skin and it does not attract attention to fine lines or pores. Most of all, I love it because It does not get patchy around my nose as the day progresses. A word about the cake-face factor: I am over 50 and have dry cheeks and undereyes. The secret to it not looking heavy or cakey is in the application. Moisturize well and wait at least two minutes before applying the foundation. Then use a brush and work quickly because it sets fast. I like a Japonesque BB brush for this for the most natural finish, but any large stippling brush will do. I've also applied it with a Sigma F80 flat top kabuki. Just use a tiny amount on the back of your hand and dip the brush in and work fast. It only looks cakey if you apply it with your fingers or use too much.

on 8/26/2015 12:57:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

When first applied in the store looked great, but after 1-hour face looked cakey. Not a good make for older skin. I will not purchase again.

on 8/25/2015 12:46:00 AM

Upon first using the foundation I thought it was great, nice colour, finish and long-lasting. However my skin has become dry with the weather and I found this foundation does not compliment dry skin at all. It emphasizes the dry patches and clings to them. It is a thin consistency and medium coverage. I've tried to build the coverage however it results in looking caking and feeling wet and uncomfortable on the skin.

on 8/23/2015 4:22:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Other

I'm on my second bottle of this foundation. I rarely buy foundations more than once because I always want to find something better, but this has been the best foundation I've tried so far. It covers all the imperfections on my skin, especially if I sort of pat it on with a flat makeup brush. What makes this a winner for me is that it is so lightweight! It does not feel like I am wearing any foundation. I can touch my skin after I've applied it and it feels like my normal skin and it will not budge.

Video Reviews & Tutorials

Estee Lauder Double Wear Stay in Place Foundation Review/ Holy Grail Foundation by BeautynLifewSue

Este Lauder Double Wear Foundation (NEW FORMULA) Review | MyMakeupPerspective by MyMakeupPerspective

Estee Lauder Double Wear Foundation First impression/Demo by Lextaylor7

Estee Lauder Double Wear Foundation Review + Demo | Chloe Luckin by Chloe Luckin