August 1, 2014 | 1178 users online

Hair Styling Tools - GHD - Eclipse

rated 5 of 5 on 5/22/2014 3:52:00 AM More reviews by sheenu369

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Black

I had initially gone to purchase the cloudnine after months of saving up however the lady at the shore started to explain the difference between the ghd and cloudnine. Don't remember all of what she said but the thing that got me was that the ghd came with 2 years warranty and cloudnine only 1year. So I bit the bullet and purchased the ghd eclipse and im so happy i did!

Before my ghd I used to plug and turn on my hair-straighter (which wasn't a ghd) and wait...and wait. I dont have to do that anymore. It heats up so fast and my hair is left straight and shiny. I love my ghd.

rated 2 of 5 on 1/3/2014 2:10:00 AM More reviews by noharmdone

I previously owned the original GHD straightener & had it for years. Always worked well for me. I recently went to a friends house who owned the GHD gold series which I used and fell in love with. It made my hair so silky and straight, I could see and feel a HUGE difference. The next day I ran out and went to a local haircare seller who convinced me to get the ECLIPSE instead as it was 'much better'. She LIED. It did nothing special at all. My hair did not feel any different than my 3 year old GHD. It was an extrememly flimsy device that slipped in my fingers when using it. Biggest waste of $270. I complained to the company and have returned it, replaced it with a GHD gold series which is much cheaper and have never been happier. Do not recommend this at all. Just feels like a regular straightener.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/6/2013 6:29:00 AM More reviews by ElineSP

Hair type: Thick (EVEN thicker than my asian friends' hair (Chinese and Indian) and Coarse + coloured. I got this because I wanted a styler who could straighten fast and make waves; Oh, my! I found my match! I brushed my hair and grabbed a section, took a comb and straightened in one time, this truly worked wonders! My stylist doesn't have the Eclipse, but only the Gold Series V and she USED the Max Styler on my hair, it's not even a subject to comparision: The Eclipse is THE styler! My hair is super sleek, soft, shiny and healthy-looking! 100% reccomended! I know it costs a lot, but this is an investment that you will love! 100% honest!

rated 4 of 5 on 10/2/2013 8:48:00 AM More reviews by Malteaser80

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Kinky, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

Hair Type: Caucasian, extremely thick, unruly, frizzy and full of kinks (not straight but not curly).

I was very unsure about purchasing this product as it is twice the price of a standard GHD and my current GHD works fine.

The eclipse looks nicer, much sleeker, comes in beautiful packaging and makes a very modern swooshing noise when it switches on.

I washed and blast dried my hair upside down with hair dryer result was dry, big and frizzy hair (think of Monica in Friends in Barbados). I split hair in 2 and straightened left side with current model (4.2b) and right side with Eclipse. Both straighteners heated up in under 25 secs (the eclipse was marginally faster). The eclipse had my hair styled in exactly half the time of my current model. The eclipse never snagged my hair in fact it felt like there was no hair between the plates. I then asked my housemate could she see a difference (without divulging which was which), she agreed that the right side was sleeker, smoother, softer and didn't have as many of those annoying short flyaway hairs that stick up (due to over use of styling tools).

My housemate with normal non frizzy hair tested it, while she found it nicer to use; lighter, doesn't get hot in hand, cool sound effects. I couldn't see any difference in her hair (vs styling with current model). If you have Afro hair or thick unruly hair this product will be a good investment and I advise purchasing, otherwise stick with your current model and possibly upgrade if it breaks down.

Tips: The eclipse worked better when I used larger sections of hair. Ask the salon if you can test it out before purchasing to check its right for your hair type.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/1/2013 4:02:00 AM More reviews by HinataSama

This is the best straighter i have ever used. It delivers silky straight curls and beautiful soft curls. The outside does not get hot unlike the previous ghds. I Found that it kept my hair stick straight in all conditions until i washed my hair. However one of my African-American clients who had very coarse frizzy hair in humidity started to frizz and slightly wave but was before beautifully silky straight, like the women on TV but without silicone's and special effects. I love this straightner, its amazing. :)

rated 5 of 5 on 7/31/2013 6:45:00 AM More reviews by stephyk

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Blue

I adore the Eclipse! It has literally halved my styling time and my hair feels incredibly smooth. If you section your hair, apply a good quality heat protector and glide smoothly and slowly over your locks, you will have the best results. It heats really quickly and doesn't break the hair as you style. This product is worth the hefty price tag and I highly recommend it to those with coarse, frizzy, very curly or badly behaved hair. The design is beautiful and really stands out - making the older version look cheap and tacky in comparison. The Eclipses temperature adapts to the needs of your hair and has constant heat at an optimal 185 degrees Celsius (apparently this temp is best for your hair!). It also comes with a handy, slide over cover which keeps the plates together when you're not using it. Love it and plan to use it for years to come.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/7/2013 10:20:00 PM More reviews by chanelmum

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Ghd Eclipse is the best straightner I have ever used. I have thick coloured hair and have been using the old model Ghd for years but it just wasn't doing its job anymore. I purchased The Ghd Eclipse and it is so much better and consistent. My hair is straighter, shinier all in less time. I am absolutely in love with The Eclipse and it's capabilities. Love love love

rated 5 of 5 on 3/2/2013 10:12:00 AM More reviews by Beautylush

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Olive, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Other Eyes: Green

I am very, very lucky to have been able to get my hands on ghd's new eclipse stylers following their recent launch. These are not on sale yet.

I want to start by saying that this review is not sponsored and is completely independent.

I have normal, long, naturally curly hair which is fine but I have a lot of it. It tends to be rather easy to style so I cannot comment on ghd's claim that these stylers also deliver excellent results on thick, rebellious or Afro type hair.

The first thing I noticed about the eclipse is the revamped look compared to the IV Classic styler.

Whilst the casing remains black, the contours are softer and there is a band of silver around the handle. This contrast makes the product look more expensive and stylish.

This model is also a lot lighter than previous stylers and sits in the hand beautifully, making it super easy to work with.

The plates are now a shiny black versus the mustard colour of the classic model. And the on / off button, which lights up, is on the outside of the handle rather than on the inner side. Even the plug which is now round has been redesigned to incorporate the ghd logo. This model retains the same length of cord and the swivel function at the base of the set to allow for ease of styling from whatever angle it is used.

A big thumbs up for the design from me then!

I found the stylers to be super easy and fast to use. These heated up really quickly. The sound to indicate that the plates have reached the optimal temperature is more like a chime now rather than the double beep of the classic styler.

The plates glided effortlessly through my hair. The clamping is so light that at first I wasn't sure whether my hair was gripped enough and I feared that I would have to go over that section again. However, the result was super straight and shiny hair in one stroke. With the classic stylers, I might have to go over sections a couple of times to get super sleek hair. So it took me less time to style my hair but got better results.!

After each stroke, the lower portion of my hair felt warmer than with the classic stylers. From the accompanying information, I gleaned that this is because of new technology which ensures the plates remain at a constant 185C. This is the optimal temperature setting to style hair whilst leaving it soft and shiny apparently. This is certainly what I experienced.

The other difference I noticed is that the casing remains cool to the touch. Apparently this is thanks to aerogel insulation which is a NASA technology. Rather impressive!

As these stylers aren't on sale yet, I cannot comment on price but I have heard these will be more expensive than the classic stylers which retail in the UK at around GBP99.00. And it isn't difficult to see why! ghd have produced the Rolls Royce version of their innovative original product which performs like a dream and looks super sleek.

The classic stylers work well and you could settle for these. But they are definitely outshone by the eclipse! I feel these are definitely worth considering. I love them!!