September 16, 2014 | 962 users online

Hair Color - Revlon - Luxurious Colorsilk Buttercream Medium Brown

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 8/13/2014 12:00:00 PM More reviews by suzanneb

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I dyed my hair yesterday with Colorsilk medium brown, I was using light ash brown but summer made it very brassy and had old washed out highlights so I wanted to cover everything, I left it on for 30 minutes and it covered everything, the color is a chocolate brown and I like more of an ash brown, the tone is a little on the red side for me and I like the gold tone that the ash gives me, next time will use the medium ash brown if I can find it. Today it looks nice, chocolatey and soft but a little flat, my hair is really dry and damaged and Colorsilk made it better.
Edit: tried medium ash brown and it is a very dark brown, not as ashy or brown as I thought it would be, will stick with medium brown.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/30/2014 1:25:00 AM More reviews by IsabelArcher

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I'm rarely disappointed by Revlon hair color. It tends to cover my greys completely and last a long time, with a natural looking tone that has some depth to it. And it's cheap! But it is damaging, even compared to other box kits, so I've been staying away from it for that reason only. Until they released the Buttercream line, which I just had to try out, even though I'm a convert to beauty supply color. I used the Medium Golden Brown. I like the Buttercream color, and if it's convenient I will use it again. The kit includes the color tube, developer bottle, gloves, after conditioner packet, and a hilarious cover for your glasses. I do appreciate the thought that went into adding the plastic cutouts for my glasses, because who wants to color your hair while squinting in the mirror? But the first time I removed my glasses while the color was in my hair, the plastic things stayed behind my ears like goofy sideburns. So, yeah. It's the thought that counts Revlon. The plastic gloves are also cheaply made, but they will do the trick alright if you want to give your Colortrak gloves a rest. The color mixed up creamy as promised, with no dripping, and smelled like mangos. There was some uncomfortable tingling at the scalp that went away quickly while the color was developing. The after care conditioner has enough for one use, and smelled like shea butter and was very moisturizing. I didn't notice any fallout after rinsing, which is a sign of a color I will consider a part of my lineup for the future. The color itself has the nice tone that most Revlon formulations have, with a bit of a gleam to it. I'm happy with it, although it did not quite cover the stubbornest greys at my temple. Also, my hair wound up a little overconditioned. I have never before come away from a fresh dye job with greasy bangs, but I did this time. Next time I use this product I'll leave it on longer and concentrate more of the conditioner on the very ends.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/26/2013 9:28:00 PM More reviews by maryellen125

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine Eyes: Green

I have been using this hair color for several months. I was using the regular Revlon Colorsilk for quite a while, but switched to the luxurious butter cream when it came out. I have fine curly brown hair with grey. The grey is around my temples and not evenly distributed. My hair grows fast and I have to touch up the roots every three weeks. The medium brown color is very natural looking, has dimension, and covers my grey well. With my fine curly hair, the ends take on too much color, so I only color my roots, leaving on for 25 minutes. When the 25 minutes are up, I rinse it out with warm water and have never had a "line" or demarcation between the old and new color. It blends very well even though I don't put it on my ends. It seems to leave my hair in good condition. My hairdresser has even complemented the color! I recommend this highly. I marked this down on packaging for the gloves, but they are tolerable.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/8/2013 12:46:00 PM More reviews by foreverbrunette

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Olive, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

One month ago I used this hair dye. Starting out my hair was dark at the roots with caramel colored highlights that had grown out at the bottom. I purchased this product for the first time after reading the reviews on this board. I'm happy to say I'm glad I tried this product because it was gentle on my scalp (and I have sensitive skin), colored my hair evenly and the color came out the same as the color pictured on the box. My hair was shiny and very soft and the color still looks great one month later even though it has lightened a bit where I had the highlights. I would highly recommend this formula and color, you won't regret it. If you have long hair use two boxes.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 10/22/2013 9:00:00 PM More reviews by andToto2

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Grey

I have been using Clairol Perfect 10 since not long after it came out. I like it,and I love the 10-minute element of it. I love being done that quickly. I had a really good coupon for the Revlon Colorsilk Buttercream, and for some reason decided to give it a try. I was pretty nervous, though, I have to say. But it turned out quite well, initially.

I think the color is very natural looking. Not flat at all. It left my hair feeling in very good condition, soft and shiny. The smell is not bad at all. It covered the gray prety well.

I bought the medium brown, as that is what I always buy in Perfect 10. It has a slightly different tone to the color than the Perfect 10,but I like it. The only thing I didn't like about it was the time--it's amazing how that extra 15-20 minutes seems like forever. Oh, and the gloves. Hate them. But the gloves in Perfect 10 are bad, too.(They used to have nice gloves, then they went to the crappy ones.)

I started having to seek out some pretty heavy dute conditioners, and smoothing serums, trying to remedy the dry, dull look of what my hair was becoming. So I have given up on it. No more. Too bad, but oh well. That's the way it goes.

rated 2 of 5 on 10/3/2013 10:57:00 AM More reviews by cguillau

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

The only good thing I can say about this haircolor is the price and the smell. Other than that, the color comes out WAY too dark. Much darker than the package shows. Also, it doesn't last. It washes out after three shampoos. It covers the gray but only for a week before it starts to fade. I will not repurchase this again. For now I will stick with my tried and true L'Oreal Excellence Creme until something new comes out.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/31/2013 10:02:00 AM More reviews by Joyciejuice

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Awesome coverage. My stubborn greys are absolutely gone. VERY pleased. I had used the light brown last time and went with medium brown this go-round. First coated my hair (avoiding the roots) with regular moisturizer to keep it from absorbing too much color and really concentrated the hair color on the grey roots. Then 20 minutes in applied the remaining to the rest of the hair. The results are fantastic. My son says it is a little darker than before but no one else noticed that I had colored my hair which is what I want...just a subtle change and freshen-up...nothing drastic. I hate when people comment on my dye job as that indicates it doesn't look natural. Today my hair is very shiny and feels soft and clean. NO lingering odor...I think it's supposed to be ammonia free. I will certainly stick with this hair color. The price is another bonus as it was on sale for $4.99.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/9/2013 10:48:00 PM More reviews by mamafazz

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Very inexpensive, no brassiness, nice color that covered my grays and seemed to last until my roots grew in. I also didn't think the smell was nearly as bad as some of the other brands I have tried in the past.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/9/2013 5:17:00 PM More reviews by hwnpunch

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Other, Medium Eyes: Brown

Gave this a shot and really liked it. The color is a rich brown pretty close to my salon color and no obvious red tones. My hair was in good shape after coloring and the conditioner was nice although they don't provide you with much. This has lasted as long as my salon color and I'll probably use it for root touch ups between salon visits since my roots need covered every two weeks. This did stain my skin even through I used a barrier cream on my forehead but wasn't too hard to remove. It worked well for me but others may want to strand test as this is a darker shade than the package represents. Not gonna turn your hair black ( I've had that happen with Clairol M Brown) but may be darker than expected and holds up well through several washes per week.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/18/2013 4:03:00 PM More reviews by audmac

I was looking for a basic medium brown color to darken/cover up a recent dye job that was a little too light purpley red on the roots. I opted for this because the new formula sounded pretty good and it was only about five dollars. I was pleasantly surprised about the rich chocolate color that this turned out. It covered the other color well and my hair looked healthy and shiny and vibrant. Pretty impressed for such an inexpensive color. So far the rich color has lasted well thru several shampoos without fading. I will probably use this again when Im in need of a root touch up, which will probably be soon since my silvery gray roots grow in way too fast.