September 21, 2014 | 2030 users online

Pressed Powders - Hourglass - Ambient Lighting Powder in Ethereal

rated 1 of 5 on 8/12/2014 7:02:00 AM More reviews by GirlyGirl143

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

I am Nw10 and very cool toned, so I am as fair as they come. I bought this powder in "ethereal light", which is the palest color by hourglass. I wanted to use it as a setting powder to get a sexy "moonlit" glow. Sadly, this is not what I got. This powder is dang near white and cancelled ALL color from my face. I used both a puff to press the powder on and I used a brush, which barely put any product on my face. While I thought it looked decent in person, I looked GHOSTLY in pictures, despite wearing blush. The pros are that the powder is finely milled and silky smooth. Perfect if you are wanting a "goth" look, but I was actually not going for that. I am really dissapointed, and switched to MAC natural skin finish in light which is a better match for me as long as I use a light hand. Plus this is freaking expensive, there are less expensive options that give you just as pretty of a result IMHO.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/31/2014 1:05:00 AM More reviews by Andi2010

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

This is a really lovely powder and I'm pleasantly surprised and impressed with the results I get from using this as I was a little dubious at first that this may have been over-hyped on YouTube etc. But it's all good :) Just very very spendy in NZ/AUS unfortunately.

I have ambient powders in Diffused Light (more yellow) and Luminous Light (sparkly - more like a highlighter powder). Ethereal is not sparkly, shimmery or gleamy, but does leave your skin looking "refreshed and softened". The photos above make it look stark white but it's not a white powder more a very slight cream.

This is a perfect match for my NC15 skin, I've owned this for about 3 months and have used it with a variety of liquid foundations and BB creams, I like to apply this best with a bigger fan brush (Sedona Lace or Eco Tools) and also with a small fluffy brush (RT contour) in smaller areas at a time. For touch ups later in the day I like to use the RT buffing brush. I use this as a setting/finishing powder and find this works fine for my normal/combo skin.

The packaging isn't overly exciting but it does contain 10g of product so should last awhile before I need to repurchase.

Just wanted to add for any NZ/Aus girls if you want to purchase without having to use youship etc from the US this can be bought directly from either Mecca NZ or Mecca Aus.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/1/2014 11:31:00 PM More reviews by mskittynoir

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

Perfect for setting super pale skin!! I use the small Ambient brush in downward strokes all over my skin after my foundation is applied. Not chalky, NOT overly white, just RIGHT! I like when my skin looks super pale, thats always the goal to match up my pale skin on my neck. This is perfect for that GOTHY girl! Love it so far!

Not sure why others struggled with this, with my porcelain Ivory tone, I get tons of compliments on my skin when i use this! I also use the blush that goes with (applied with sigma small contour brush)

I didn't see it right away, expected to almost look like a sparkly vampire..haha which would have been ok too. So once i realized this shade was a nice setting powder that gives you a slight pale glow, i fell in love with it. I also bought Diffused Light and trial running it now too, since i have a strong yellow undertone.

poof! worth the money? SURE!! Buy the lovely brush, its so nice to use!

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 3/23/2014 4:43:00 PM More reviews by staciarose22

I've used this for a few months on and off and it still looks brand new. I think that is because I just don't love it as much as I should. It's just a finishing powder and pretty similar to the MUFE HD or NARS versions. I was expecting a elf glow like in Lord of the Rings honestly. And this is not that. It's too subtle for $45 and it's going back to Sephora. If I just used it as a powder I would feel cheated since shine/oil can break through in a few hours or less, and I have dry skin most days. The packaging is also extremely cheap feeling compared to other high end brands. It's a light plastic.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/14/2013 6:54:00 PM More reviews by Meowler

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I got this powder in a pretty pink hue called "Mood Light" and it is gorgeous. I have very light skin and I have a tendency to wear foundation and powders that are too light and make me look like a ghost.

That being said, this powder gave me the most natural coloring for my skin. It makes my skin kind of glow.

I also have very dry skin and most powders cake up on me and emphasize the dryness. This powder made my skin look dewy and fresh!

I love it! I just wish it weren't as expensive as it is. $45.00 is a little much in my opinion. But it is a great product.

4 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 2/24/2013 1:43:00 PM More reviews by thecharm

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Blue

I have rarely tried so hard with a makeup product; I tried so hard to like Hourglass Ambient Lighting Powder in Ethereal, or, rather, I tried to get it to like me. It was so middle school. I spent time fiddling with it. I spent days trying to observe its effects, willing some positive change. There was such initial positive buzz about this product; I've seen it look spectacular on bloggers. Hourglass calls it "a universal finishing powder that features state-of-the-art technology to recreate the most exquisitely flattering types of light." Who wouldn't want that? The powder feels soft to the touch, though there is a bit of a powder kickback. There's almost a siliconey feel, which I actually like. It's very smooth. Ethereal in particular is touted as an opalescent white to creat a moonlit finish. Sounds super mega foxy awesome hot, right? Sadly, Ethereal was a disappointment on my pale NW5 skin, once applied. For one thing, it was hard to get the balance right: I either applied so little that it was totally invisible (and not in an I'm-not-wearing-makeup-but-my-skin-is-perfect way) or it caked on, settling around the cheek fuzz we all have but don't want to see. Even when I did buff it to a satisfying finish, it looked a little ghostly in some lights. Even when it did look not-hideous, the entire effect was gone in three hours. Back to Sephora it goes. I'm a bit interested in Mood Lighting but I'm worried it, too, will vanish quickly.

14 out of 14 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No