April 16, 2014 | 906 users online

Pressed Powders - Hourglass - Ambient Lighting Powder in Ethereal

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 3/23/2014 4:43:00 PM More reviews by staciarose22

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I've used this for a few months on and off and it still looks brand new. I think that is because I just don't love it as much as I should. It's just a finishing powder and pretty similar to the MUFE HD or NARS versions. I was expecting a elf glow like in Lord of the Rings honestly. And this is not that. It's too subtle for $45 and it's going back to Sephora. If I just used it as a powder I would feel cheated since shine/oil can break through in a few hours or less, and I have dry skin most days. The packaging is also extremely cheap feeling compared to other high end brands. It's a light plastic.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/14/2013 6:54:00 PM More reviews by Meowler

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I got this powder in a pretty pink hue called "Mood Light" and it is gorgeous. I have very light skin and I have a tendency to wear foundation and powders that are too light and make me look like a ghost.

That being said, this powder gave me the most natural coloring for my skin. It makes my skin kind of glow.

I also have very dry skin and most powders cake up on me and emphasize the dryness. This powder made my skin look dewy and fresh!

I love it! I just wish it weren't as expensive as it is. $45.00 is a little much in my opinion. But it is a great product.

4 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 2/24/2013 1:43:00 PM More reviews by thecharm

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Blue

I have rarely tried so hard with a makeup product; I tried so hard to like Hourglass Ambient Lighting Powder in Ethereal, or, rather, I tried to get it to like me. It was so middle school. I spent time fiddling with it. I spent days trying to observe its effects, willing some positive change. There was such initial positive buzz about this product; I've seen it look spectacular on bloggers. Hourglass calls it "a universal finishing powder that features state-of-the-art technology to recreate the most exquisitely flattering types of light." Who wouldn't want that? The powder feels soft to the touch, though there is a bit of a powder kickback. There's almost a siliconey feel, which I actually like. It's very smooth. Ethereal in particular is touted as an opalescent white to creat a moonlit finish. Sounds super mega foxy awesome hot, right? Sadly, Ethereal was a disappointment on my pale NW5 skin, once applied. For one thing, it was hard to get the balance right: I either applied so little that it was totally invisible (and not in an I'm-not-wearing-makeup-but-my-skin-is-perfect way) or it caked on, settling around the cheek fuzz we all have but don't want to see. Even when I did buff it to a satisfying finish, it looked a little ghostly in some lights. Even when it did look not-hideous, the entire effect was gone in three hours. Back to Sephora it goes. I'm a bit interested in Mood Lighting but I'm worried it, too, will vanish quickly.

13 out of 13 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No