November 28, 2014 | 1715 users online

Powder - FLOWER Beauty - Powder Foundation PP2

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 11/21/2014 1:16:00 PM More reviews by Meriel65

Age: 44-55 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I decided to try this because it is one of the few powder foundations available at the drugstore level. And it's fine--smooth, finely milled, not a weird shade, no fragrance. The compact is clunky and I prefer to use a sponge rather than a brush. This is an inoffensive powder foundation/finishing powder and I would have rated it much more highly but for one thing: it is in fact absurdly expensive! The actual amount you get is .12 oz I believe it reads on the compact. Now, for about $10 for the compact, and less than 1/4 of an ounce, this is not the "bargain" it might appear to be. Standard weight for most compact foundations that I've seen or tried in the past are at least 1/3 of an ounce. Some are even in the .42 ounce range.

Thus, if you calculate the cost per ounce, this is absolutely not in the bargain brand price range! At the current price per unit, the foundation is actually around $80/ounce! Really: think about it! Do the math! This is actually in the same ballpark as foundation powder by Dior for example, where you get a lot more product in a much nicer compact. I once "splurged" on a liquid foundation by Prescriptives, which I loved very much. These days that foundation is $37 I think. Well: if you think about it, that's a bargain, knowing that 1) the color is right 2) the formulation worked well 3) it had sunscreen and 4) at least you get the standard ounce.

So: this evaluation is based more on the fact that this is actually not a good value for cosmetic. Let's say you buy this regularly (because .12 oz. doesn't last long!) and just finished your 4th compact. And because the range is limited, the color is OK and not the ultimate.

For $40 you could go to, say, Sephora and sample a variety of powder foundations and find one that might work even better, and is actually less expensive because the compact is at least 1/3 of an ounce or even more. Also: consider the packaging waste. Those plastic compacts go somewhere. Just to belabor this: let's say you use up a Flower compact every 2 months, which isn't hard to believe. At the end of the year, you've thrown away 6 bulky compacts! Not to mention you spent about $60.

On the other hand, let's say that you found a compact at Sephora--or even back at Walmart or Target!--that has about .40 ounces and you use one up ever 4 months, which is I think a reasonable estimate. The Sephora brand is around $25 I think; so you spend about $75--which is a little more, but not that much, but only throw away 3 compacts. This matters! This is somewhat ameliorated by those brands like Shiseido or Stila where you just buy refills of powders.

So this long review--forgive me--is my clarion call to have consumers really think about value: look at both the price AND the weight or volume of the product. And think about what you are going to be throwing away! Luxury isn't really luxury when it finally ends up in the land-fill, you know? Just some food for thought.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 4/25/2013 12:45:00 PM More reviews by dakgirl

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

For reference I wear Bobbi Porcelain, LM Porcelain Ivory, Stila 10watts/shade A. I use Bobbi Lt bisque on my blue circles and Maybelline Age Rewind Brightener on the (2 yrs post baby) melasma across the tops of my cheeks. I tried this over the rest of my face and it was very natural and even looking! Not heavy or cakey like some powder foundations can be. That said, if you like Studio Fix this won't give you that level of coverage. PP2 was a perfect match for my yellow-white skin. I'd definitely recommend this AND it didn't settle into my (ahem) "lines".

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/23/2013 1:34:00 AM More reviews by harmony888

I'm MAC NC30, ELauder doublewear in Tawny, MUFE 125.
This color is perfect for setting foundation. At $10, worth it, glides smoothly, pigmented not chalky!!