Laura Mercier Creme Eyeliner

4.4

on 5/21/2015 11:49:00 AM

I was so disappointed with this. I usually love Laura Mercier products, and when I got this eyeliner (in Violet) I was expecting great things. However, I found it really hard to put on - I had to pencil it in quite a few times, pressing quite hard, to get a decent coverage, and the colour is such that you need it to be quite dark or it ends up looking like a bruise or that you've got a really bad cold!

I can see that using it everyday might lead to eye irritation due to having to apply it quite firmly to your sensitive eye area. I wear eyeliner everyday but tend to stick to intense black pencil versions that go on with very little fuss. I tried this because I fancied a change but I probably won't be using it again.

on 5/7/2015 12:32:00 AM

Hair: Brown, Other, Fine

I have 4 colours of this eyeliner, texture and longevity varies between colours.

Among the four, I like Canard the best, it is a bright teal green colour, vibrant and beautiful, it is bold but not shocking, Indigo is a pretty but not anything surprising, Cobalt is bold and (for me) not very wearable for everyday use, the most disappointing is the Violet, it it not a bright kind of violet but tends to be more on the dark bluish violet side, can still use it as an everyday substitute for blacks and browns...

Texture wise, they are all easy to apply, it is not as creamy as the Mac Fluidline, but once you get use to it, it is very easy to use. With Violet needs one more swipe to get an even colour line.

Unfortunately, and contrary to the other reviews, I found it does smear and smudge a bit, maybe it is just me having oily lids or because of the eye cream/moisturiser that I use? But my eyeshadow can stay put for a good 7-8 hrs...

Overall, this eyeliner still performs above average, although not perfect...

As I have aged, I have found that my eyes water more which makes for a dreadful smeary eyeliner mess that is suitable for some post-90s grunge chick, but not for me. Hence, the introduction of gel eyeliners into my life. I purchased this in indigo, which really POPS against my hazel eyes. The eyeliner's texture is soft and thin. To me it is a cross between a liquid eyeliner and other, more dense, gel eyeliners I have used. I don't wear this everyday, because I find that I must be quite deliberate in my application and I often don't have the time necessary during my morning rush to apply carefully. But when I do, this eyeliner DOES NOT MOVE! I mean...like...REALLY. In fact, once it sets, it is almost too difficult to remove, but it is definitely worth the effort. Definitely worth the splurge if you want to give it a try.

on 1/27/2015 11:10:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Warm

One of the only reasons I would use a gel/creme liner again is this product.

I had given up on gels as they dry up very fast, look to heavy/thick in formula, flake off and are too much of a hassle.

Standard routine was tight line with laura merciers' cake liner, trish mcevoy eye definer, or a MAC powerpoint, then liquid liner on top, smooth and soften the liquid with a powder over that--and yes this was less hassle, lol.

I remembered I had purchased this in noir and espresso almost two years ago and kept it on the shelf until recently. What a gem to rediscover. And yes shelf life (granted hardly used until recently) had no detrimental effect on the pliability of this product.

Have blown enough cash on gel liners to take a small vacation and few ever satisfied long term (Clinique brush on is still a great one). But this is the best.

Noir is a classic deep black, (not the deep green black of MAC Smolder), no detectable undertones. I tight line with this and by the end of the day it has smudged and transferred to the lower water line somewhat, but in a very soft, smoky/smudgy way, more of a melt and blend than the flake off and gunk up of other gel/cremes.

This formula reminds me of a softer version of Mac fluidline but much longer wearing, slightly thicker than my beloved clinique brush on cream liner, but lasts so much longer (the one caveat of Clinique and hence why I rarely used it--super easy to apply, deep black but lasts about 6-8 hrs then need touch ups). Ysl, nars, so many out there are nice but after a bit of use, dry up and are hard to use. This has great shelf life and lacks that flaking quality of many others.

Espresso is a warm-leaning brown, not as cool as bb espresso, deeper and warmer than bb sepia, deeper than Mac dipdown. I prefer this (LM) to the nars gel liner in deep brown.

Wish she offered this in an indigo and/or a deep navy close to her bleu marine cake, (which, if her cake liner was waterproof, would be the best product ever).

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

I picked up this liner in Canard about a month ago and was so thrilled with it, that I immediately ran out to pick another one up in Violet. Sadly, I'm a little less enthusiastic about that one. Canard is *perfect.* Not only is it a lovely matte dark teal (which is surprisingly wearable, even if you're not a fan of bold makeup!), the texture is a dream to work with. It's creamy without being messy, goes on perfectly opaque with just one swipe, glides on smoothly and delivers a crisp clean line. And it wears all day long without smearing or smudging! But Violet? Eh it takes a little more work. It has a much softer, almost goopy, texture than Canard. It goes on semi-sheer/semi-opaque, and slides around during application. Once it sets it's fine, no smudging or smearing and lasts as long as Canard, but it's much harder to get a thin crisp line with it and I find myself needing to do a lot clean up when I use it.

I'm interested in getting other shades of this (have my eye on cobalt!), but only if they're more like Canard than Violet.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

Hair: Blond, Curly, Coarse

I love these!!!! Great quality & don't seem to dry out! I love the color selection & how easy they are to apply. Good quality jars & products. I'm shocked these aren't raved about more on MUA.

on 11/13/2013 8:50:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

My new favorite eyeliner! I am usually a liquid eyeliner girl. I've tried gel eyeliners in the past and did not like how they applied. This one is a creme though and applies SO smoothly. It's more wet than a gel liner but dries to a matte finish that does not budge. I bought the Cobalt blue shade but I will definitely be purchasing more colors.

on 9/19/2013 8:35:00 AM

First eyeliner that has long staying power and great colour payoff for me. I've tried pencils, gels, other cremes - a myriad of brands (Mac, Bobbi Brown, Shiseido, Chanel, YSL, Covergirl, Rimmel, etc.) but none lasted more than a couple of hours before fading, melting or settling into fine lines under my eyes - not a good look! Laura Mercier's creme eyeliner is easy to apply using a fine brush (I tightline both above and below my eye) and dries quickly. It stays put all day (no touch ups needed) and removes easily with a sensitive skin makeup wipe. It's also easy to apply for a winged/cat eye look.
I usually buy all my makeup on Strawberrynet but they didn't have this product, so I purchased the Espresso and Violet for full price from the local department store because this eyeliner is _that_ good. I've used the Espresso more than the Violet as it emphasises my eyes while also giving a more natural look (prefer this right now). It has probably saved me a ton of money, as my search for the no-budge, easily applied eyeliner is over. Highly recommended!!

on 9/8/2013 6:43:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

I actually only use this on my lower waterline. Love the consistency and pigment and the fact that it's waterproof. For me, I still use a waterproof pencil under this to extend the life of it since I use eyedrops throughout the day and no waterproof liner is waterproof enough for my waterline. Honestly, it doesn't stay all day on my outer corners, but it doesn't smear. I actually don't know where it goes because I don't feel it in my eyes either -.-;;

Bottom line, I don't feel the need to spend money on other liners as I'm quite happy with this one and would repurchase it when what seems to be a long lasting jar runs out.

on 4/30/2013 4:34:00 PM

Absolutely stunning violet color that makes my green eyes pop without screaming "purple eyeliner". I use it to tightline my upper and lower lashline, and I couldn't be happier with this eyeliner! After searching for a long time and spending a fair amount of $$, I've finally found my HG purple e/l. :)

Amazing staying power (I teach hot yoga, so I should know!), very easy to apply, and a true violet color that's not too blue or red. Awesome as tightliner for a subtle, daytime look. Easily built up into a thicker, more dramatic line for night with excellent color payoff. Worth every penny!

Video Reviews & Tutorials

Laura Mercier Creme liner ,MAC gel liner & Makeup geek liner review by starlitmakeupchick