November 28, 2014 | 1303 users online

Pressed Powders - Essence - All About Matt Fixing Compact Powder

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/14/2014 12:20:00 AM More reviews by Sunnydelite62901

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

This is a nice powder I don't use it a ton but keep it in my bag to keep my t-zone from getting shiny. On my nc40ish skin tone this doesnt leave a white cast, but as I said I use this as a touch up powder and only lightly. I use Ben Nye Banana powder as my go to powder. It's affordable and if you need a touch up powder this is a great one, just buff well I use my Elf buffing powder.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/13/2014 2:58:00 PM More reviews by zhaaniite

i liked it much more when it was as a loose powder. still liking it thoe.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/11/2014 5:46:00 PM More reviews by stls

Essence products are generally a hit or miss for me. The blush brush was a miss, the brow gel and the eye liner brush I could take them or leave them, the nail polishes and blushes didn't impress me but the gel liners were just fabulous. (Why on earth did they discontinue them is beyond me)

Anyway, I gave this powder a try and this is a winner too! The finish is very natural and doesn't look obvious at all on the skin but it really, really mattifies! Better than any other powder I have tried actually. Looks ghostly white in the pan, just like the MAC Prep & Prime but doesn't leave an obvious white cast, just makes my face look more luminous, yet matte. I have only experienced the same effect with YSL Matte & Radiant pressed powder which costs 10x the price of Essence. I'm quite pale myself though, so if you have a deeper skin tone might be wise to proceed with caution.

I have no issues with the packaging but I don't carry it around, I'm a believer in Shiseido blotting sheets for that purpose. Will certainly repurchase all about matt.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/16/2014 5:16:00 PM More reviews by morphinization

I've already gone through two of these, and I've never done that with a product before. That should say enough :P It does have a white cast but that's perfect as a matte 'highlight' when contouring. I use it on my t-zone and under my eyes with a small rounded brush, and touch-up whenever needed. It's matte, has good coverage and unlike a colored mattifying powder it doesn't build up or look cakey as easily (of course with any product if you use too much it will look cakey).

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/3/2014 10:09:00 PM More reviews by chickeeduck

Fantastic product, super compact and ridiculously cheap. This is a very small white compact that has a faint white cast. Small because it does not have a sponge, or the ability to keep a powder puff, which might be a disadvantage to some, but I prefer it as I use a small flat brush to apply it. I have repurchased because the first one fell a couple of times, the first time breaking the lid, and the second shattering the product to pieces. At the $3.99 CAD price point however, the quality of the packaging and having to purchase another one is negligible.
It keeps me matte for most of the morning during the summer, although I do have to re-apply or blot by the 1 pm mark. This is really not an issue, because I find that powders that are exponentially more expensive (Bobbi Brown, MUFE, Chanel) fall under the same criteria. So yes, this seems like it will be a staple in my make up kit.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/21/2014 7:55:00 AM More reviews by angekronaus

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Amazing product that costs next to nothing.

This fixing powder is so convenient in the compact version. It doesnt mess & its super slim to fit into your handbag etc. Its very white in the compact but applies translucent. If you apply too much & you see the white, just buff it out.

I was having problems with my eyeliner transferring onto my crease/upper lid. I had watched a youtube videos saying you should apply the first layer & dust it over with fixing powder, apply another layer & dust it over & voila! Well darn it, Like magic - IT WORKS. This little compact that cost EUR2,49 i think, has saved me many a days of rubbing off creased eyeliner etc.

Because I have dry skin, I don't need to use this for much else like some do with oily skin.

Great product, excellent price. You cant go wrong! Thanks Essence!

rated 4 of 5 on 9/6/2014 3:02:00 AM More reviews by Minksy17

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I LOVE THIS!!!! I have oily skin and with in an hour of doing my makeup it melts off my face. I did a ton of researching (thanks to this website/app) I came across this. I put on my MAC studio fix powder foundation then my blush and I use a kabuki brush to put this stuff on. I keep it with me for touch ups through out the day if needed. It doesn't come with anything to apply it with so I also bought a cheap four pack of powder puffs which can fit in the container. It doesn't dry out or make my skin flaky later. It was only $3.99 and gets better reviews than some of the more expensive brand name products. TOTALLY worth a shot if you are having makeup meltdowns.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/27/2014 11:29:00 PM More reviews by lushlife505

I like this as a blotting powder during the day. It takes shine away and does not make my face get cakey throughout the day. It is fairly translucent and barely leaves the tinest bit of light tint to the skin but as it mixes with your skin after a few minutes it goes away completely.
So far this would have to be my favorite for touch ups because others add more color, or begin to get caked up this does not.
I have tried it as a setting powder which it does an ok job but it is much better for touch ups as it does not help make the makeup last when used as a setting powder.
I do not like that there is no mirror and that the powder breaks EXTREMELY easy.
I put in in my makeup bag in my drawer brand new and just from moving the makeup around to find other products.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/28/2014 8:51:00 PM More reviews by valmont32677

Super awesome!! I've only ever tried 2 other white powders (elf loose HD & WnW Fergie HD compact)...this is now my all time fave powder!! I bought this on a whim at Ulta, just saw it, it looked interesting & being that I have the oiliest skin evvvvver, I decided to buy 1 & try it. Essence is a gr8 brand, it's never let me down, & this powder is no exception. I love how it's only USD$3.99 . I don't know how long the compact will last, but I will repurchase this when I hit pan provided it isn't DC!! Much more convenient than loose powder, it doesnt come w an applicators/brush or mirrors but that's okay coz they concentrated on the product inside instead of other distractions. I love how I can wear this under makeup, over makeup, with no makeup, it's so versatile. It keeps my oiliness at bay, but I have to use blot papers once in awhile still, although less often w this powder. It is white, I am an NC15, so idk how this would work for WOC or in photos, but I am sure it would photograph better than a shiny t-zone greasy face. It's so nice to happen upon something nice & have it be reasonably priced as well. I wish I didn't have to go to Ulta to buy it becoz I don't care much for Ulta (& I hate shopping online even worse!!), but I will make the sacrifice & grit my teeth to obtain this little compact of perfection!! I would like to try a lot more Essence products. The displays are usually poorly stocked w few items & picked over at Ulta, the other Ulta on the other side of town doesn't even barely have an Essence display, so I do my best to try to stock up when I see something from the Essence display I love like eyeliners/eyeliner brushes, etc. to avoid extra trips to Ulta (did I mention I don't like that place???). This powder goes on gr8 w an elf kabuki, I am going to try my Jessie's Girl & BareMinerals brushes soon with this. This is my new HG favorite powder. Love how it's not got Mica or much in the way of oils. It really is and does, stay matte. I am just thrilled to find this little gem & I am definitely planning to repurchase, I need back ups!! Glad to have come across the Essence brand, this is the most underpromoted greatest line, prices aren't much more than WnW & much better quality than WnW, I would have paid >$20 or more for this, this powder is fantastic.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/15/2014 12:21:00 PM More reviews by KelliaC

I LOVE this mattifying powder compact! I didn't realize how good it worked until I finished this product and waited a few days before purchasing another one. Without realizing how well this worked, I was wondering why my face was getting really oily, my makeup not staying on and why my face was sweating in the humidity. And then it hit me, it was this mattifying powder that usually took care of all that in the past, and boy did I notice a difference! I went straight to ULTA that day and purchased this again. For the low cost, it's SO worth it! And as a previous poster said, you can't apply a tiny amount, you have to make sure you press it on your face, that's when it will absorb all the oils and humidity from your face. Now, my makeup stays on 8+ hours a day. And this works just as well as Urban Decay or the higher end brands. Essence really got this one right!