Dior New Look 1947

3.0

on 11/24/2013 7:56:00 AM

New Look 1947 was released in 2010 among La Collection Couturier line with its huge bottles. It is a pleasant blend of slightly sparkly, slightly sharp tuberose and a blend of soft creamy flowers decorated with just a tad of woods. The first time I sampled it, it was from a little vial so I could only dab and I got this big, candied tuberose that immediately put a big smile on my face. However, I have been using a big, spray decant for some time now and it definitely allows me to experience greener, slightly sharp, sometimes a bit hissy top notes where tuberose is rather dominant. With a spray, I get a candied waft around myself but the scent on my skin is definitely greener. It then settles into a nice melange with softspoken fresh pink roses, amicable peonies and maybe a bit of salty iris. These are paired with the tuberose and woody notes and ultimately create an easy-to-wear tuberose softened with other flowers. I find its drydown floral and creamy but I also feel that it may end of somehow powdery depending on your chemistry.

Dior created the New Look collection to celebrate the end of WWII that had been inevitably dictating a plain, somber style on women. To quote from Voguepedia, 'With a few elegant strokes of his pencil, Dior had swept away the utilitarian and frugal styles that had dominated during the war years: His New Look, as it came to be known, was a “direct, unblushing plan to make women extravagantly, romantically, eyelash-battingly female.” '

The 2010 release New Look 1947 is indeed romantic and even a bit frilly with its rose and peony - albeit somehow not very interesting. When I wear it, I really feel like having some light pink blush on my cheeks, curl my hair, put on lots of mascara so that I can flutter my eyelashes at a well-dressed suitor and whatnot. I also feel elegant in work situations. I like it but I do not love it the way I love my Nuit de Tubereuse which is darker, sharper, deeper and sparklier.

New Look has low to medium sillage on my skin with medium lasting power of 5ish hours. 3.5

on 2/15/2013 8:23:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

Wish I wasn't the first to review this as I really don't have an expert nose in the world of perfumes! But here goes, for me its clean, sophisticated and enticing. A very Parisian scent. For the heavy price tag a perfume has to be truly classic for me to purchase and as lovely as this is I'd only buy if I was flush with cash.

Popular Fragrances