September 19, 2014 | 1684 users online

Lipstick - FLOWER Beauty - Shine Lipstick in LS12 Black Rose

rated 4.0(1 review)

• Price: $

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/14/2013 10:50:00 AM More reviews by Beth

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I'm intrigued by this new line of Drew Barrymore's, and I can't explain why. It's not the star power; I'm not that big a fan of hers. And I certainly have enough lipstix (over 400 as of 2/14/13). Maybe I have so many because when I hear of a new line, the lipstick is a fairly low-risk way to break into it. So I bought and wore one of her matte lipstix. Not a big fan of matte, so I felt like I had to go back and try one of the non-matte colors.

The one criticism I have at this point of the color items in the Flower line (lipstix, lip glosses, nail polishes, eyeshadows) is the small color selection. I understand that with a new line, you don't want to make a big investment in a wide range just to see it flop. But going through the colors in the Shine range, I just wasn't all that thrilled. I settled on Black Rose, the darkest in the range, a deep deep shimmery burgundy. The case is black plastic with rose gold trim, and feels heavy in the hand for a drugstore product. The amount of product you get is substantial--over an inch in the bullet. For a non-matte color, it goes on fairly stiff, and isn't that shiny, which tells me there aren't a lot of lipids in the product and that it will last a long time. It did bleed on me a little, so I'll be sure to dig out one of my clear lipliners when I wear it. Black Rose can be built up for medium color to dark goth color. I'm fairly pale, so it's a striking look on me, and I keep my eye design pale and subtle when I wear it. This would be a fantastic color for dark skin tones.

I wouldn't put this in the "you can't beat it with a stick!" category, because it's not perfect on me, but for $6.98, what the heck! I'll wait for a nude rose color in this range before I buy again, though.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No