December 18, 2014 | 1595 users online

Hair Treatments - Beautiful Curls Shea Butter Deep Conditioning Treatment

rated 1.0(1 review)

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 2/13/2013 1:28:00 PM More reviews by finch96

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

For reference, my hair is 3a-b coarse, moderately porous, thick, and bra strap length. I have been following modified curly girl method for about 2 years, meaning I will occasionally use water soluble silicones and that I use sulfate free shampoos to cleanse as needed.

I am always on the hunt for silicone free, protein free deep treatments that I can buy "over the counter," so to speak. E.g., not have to order on the web. I found this at Whole Foods, and everything on the label looked good, so I decided to try it. Stupidly, when I got home, I threw the receipt away with the bag (huge mistake). I shampooed my hair with Queen Helene Royal Curl Shampoo immediately before using this product.

I'll cut to the chase: this product is horrible. It comes out of the tube looking and feeling like a worm made of mayonnaise. I find mayonnaise nauseating, therefore the texture and appearance of this product was quite disgusting to me. I won't let something as little as texture put me off, though, so I went ahead and applied it to my hair.

I had noticed it didn't have that great of a smell when I opened it, but I didn't think it was anything horrible, until it actually hit my head. OH MY GOSH. The only way to describe the smell is wet dog. Maybe wet dog with some dirt mixed in, I don't know. However you want to describe it, I had to fight my gag reflex.

I pushed through in the name of product experimentation, and began trying to work it through my hair. I had applied approximately a golf ball sized blob to my head and smeared it all over the length of my hair. When I tried to finger detangle like I always do, my hair wouldn't budge. This product has NO SLIP at all. I had to pull and tug and go a fraction of an inch at a time to get through my poor tangled hair. It hurt, to be honest. I ended up glopping on another golf ball sized blob of this stuff, hoping to lubricate my hair a little more to see if that would help. It did a little bit, but not a whole lot. It took me about 5 minutes to work through my hair completely with my fingers, when it usually takes me about 30 seconds to a minute.

I put my hair up in clips to give the product time to sink in (1-10 minutes is the recommended time on the bottle) while I shaved my legs. By the time I was done shaving, not only was the smell unbearable, but my scalp was actually starting to burn mildly. When I rinsed this crap off, it didn't even rinse all the way out. It left a coating of waxy residue all over my scalp and down the length of my hair. Plus, the wet dog smell permeated my hair. It was DISGUSTING. The burning wasn't going away, and I had actually started to develop a fine rash/small hives on my shoulders and arms where my hair had touched it, so I just said forget it and re-shampooed my hair with the QHRC poo. I followed with my regular conditioner, Sally's GVP Conditioning Balm, and a dab of leave in conditioner at the end, and my hair was okay.

This product is nothing short of HORRIBLE. I immediately threw it in the trash. I wouldn't even use this product to condition the hair on my long haired dog.