April 18, 2014 | 1881 users online

Eyeliner - NYX - Gel Liner & Smudger

rated 4 of 5 on 11/30/2013 8:57:00 PM More reviews by littlebird246

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Well, after reading the reviews here on this product...i thought i would give it a try. Got Betty black and Charlotte brown.

It seems that nyx heard the pleas that it was drying out too quickly, because the black and brown were in completely different packaging, the brown in a smaller glass jar, the black in the more familiar glass "brick" of a container that wastes all the space in your make up bag.

The black actually had a cellophane seal ( over the top after opening the lid), the brown did not have this...and is already so dry I'm going to return it. It's so dry its separating from the sides of the jar! I'm hoping the new jar solves the drying up issue with the black one.

Performance is OK, nothing to write home about...unless i find it's the best thing ever i probably will splurge on a more pricy product next time. It's nice and black, but i can't get a very precise winged eye with it. It's good enough for now, i'll probably use it until it dries up. But definitely returning the brown one. :(

Ive used mac blacktrack, and i think the color is better with the NYX(every gel e/l ive tried has been blacker than the Mac IMHO). Ive used quite a few different gel eyeliners, and id say this one compares favorably with all of them..they all seem the same to me before they start drying out! This one looks like a very precise, very dark pencil line to me, which is OK. Not a precise line like a liquid. All in all..it's adequate. Just nothing special. :)

rated 5 of 5 on 11/22/2013 4:34:00 PM More reviews by Niza9

This is great eyeliner. I love using it for my winged liner. I have the black one and the color is great, very intense. It works wonderfully as a smudger too!

rated 4 of 5 on 10/20/2013 10:00:00 PM More reviews by Brenda7777777

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

One flaw, the packaging. The jar does not seal tight therefore it dries out the content inside. I purchased the "Scarlette", aka dark brown because the black was sold out. For the first week the gel liner went on smoothly and perfect! The formula lasted all day ( I did have to apply my UD Primer Portion which is part of my regular routine). On the second week I did notice the application of the liner was a bit drying and not as creamy. That's when I realize the jar was not sealing tight. I did have to transfer the gel liner to an old MAC jar container that I had from a paint pot. Since then it has not been drying

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 9/15/2013 10:16:00 PM More reviews by misstiffany

As a gel liner, it smudged on me within 2 hours. It could not withstand Florida's humidity. I'm really disappointed in this stuff. It just melted right off my eyes!

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 9/11/2013 5:21:00 PM More reviews by uraznbabygurl

I bought this in Scarlette (dark brown). I was excited that there was a cheap blackened-brown gel liner. Unfortunately, this is where my love for it ends. The consistency is SO dry, and it was hard to get an even line with it because it would skip upon application. It also fades pretty badly after about 4 hours. NYX and I have a pretty decent relationship, so I'm rather let-down with this product.

To compare, I tried and bought the BB gel liner. Even though it's expensive, the quality blows this one out of the water. I will say that Scarlette is really similar to BB's Espresso Ink. So if the formula for this liner works for you, it's a good option for $15 less.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 8/8/2013 10:59:00 AM More reviews by SuckerForBeauty

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Just for reference, I use the MAC gel liners with a Sephora angled liner brush. I say this because I LOVE the MAC SmudgePots and, through all the eyeliners I've tried, continually go back to this formula. NOW, onto the NYX smudger/gel liner. I bought this in Scarlette (dark brown) because I thought my usual black liner was appearing a bit too harsh and thought the NYX would be a cheap alternative. As for application, it went on nicely using an angled eyeliner brush. These types of gel liners take some practice in application so do not b intimidated by that. Color was nice, stood out like black liner but was a bit softer. Now here's my gripe: it did not last AT ALL and, even worse, smudged all under my eyes. After checking it a few hours after application, it looked messy. Some areas were still on but others had totally wiped off. And, mind you, I was only sitting on my couch watching a movie with my bf in that time. I could not even imagine how this product would hold up against a night out or a day at work. In the end, you get what you pay for I suppose. I looked good after applying it, but that did not last and I do not like to have to reapply something as intricate as gel liner. BOTTOM LINE: I would recommend this for a beginner looking to try their hand at gel liner. It is cheap and the original consistency is there, but if you'd like gel liner to be a permanent staple in your makeup looks, I say splurge a little and go for the MAC brand.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 7/25/2013 11:40:00 AM More reviews by ncdecolover

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

Got this in blue. It's marketed as a gel liner but is actually a cake. Frankly if I'd known this product wasn't a gel, I wouldn't have bought it as its consistency is too dry for me. I prefer the consistency of the BB gel liner but it's just so darn expensive.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/14/2013 3:01:00 PM More reviews by youwillneverfindme

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

NYX gel liner and smudger in "Scarlette", aka dark brown, color code GLAS05

EDIT 11/10/13 I too, found that this dried out quickly within the first two months, making the product very difficult to work with. Like the reviewer above me, I scooped out my previously unopened backup into an old MAC Fluidline container and haven't had any problems with the product drying out since. So while I LOVE the product and how tiny the little jar was, the packaging needs work to prevent the product from drying out. Dropping the score one point from a 5 to a 4 because of this.

OMG you gguuuyyyyzzzz, I found it! The perfect, blackened-brown, long wearing, inexpensive gel liner! I was using Maybelline's gel liner in Espresso before the color was woefully discontinued...it was perfection in my book. Then I stumbled upon this NYX liner and it's the perfect replacement, in fact, due to the packaging, price and the fact that it's NYX (love the brand itself), I prefer it...and I thought nothing could top Maybelline's gel liner.

Ok gushing aside:
Wear: I've worn this for a solid week so far; it makes it through my 12-hour shifts as a floor nurse during the hot, humid, sweaty summer days on my slightly oily 32 year old lids. This alone is a miracle. I can wear it out all day in the hot summer sun then sleep in it at night (bad, I know), and although it's messed when I wake up, I still see it clinging to the area I had brushed it on a day ago. Seriously, when this stuff is set, I have to *really* rub the skin to make it smudge.
Application: Smooth, pigmented and applies well to my lids with a liner brush, or used as an eyeshadow base with my MAC 217. There is enough time to work with it before it dries, but you do need to work quickly.
Consistancy: It's drier than what I typically think of "gel" liners to be...More cream-like. Drier than MAC's Fluidlines, not as dry as BB Ink.
Color: Very dark brown, a blackened-brown, true in color, not too warm or too cool. A great choice for when black is just too stark, but you still want a statement, winged liner or a lovely smudge of shadow just above the lashes. According to my computer screen, the color sample on CherryCulture is accurate.
Packaging: Unexpectedly nice. The clear glass pot is *tiny* compared to what I'm used to, about 3 cm in diameter (smaller in diameter than MAC's Fluidlines but about as tall)...it looks like a toy. The screw-top lid is simple black plastic with NYX Gel liner and smudger written in white ink on top. Simple. It comes in a small little box as well, a nice touch for a liner that is so inexpensive. Oddly enough, the tiny little pot holds 0.11oz/3g (more product than any gel liner I've tried recently).
Price: Originally $8, but I bought it off of CherryCulture for $6.50 due to a sale they were having.

I've already bought three backups :P continued >>

rated 5 of 5 on 2/23/2013 8:32:00 PM More reviews by brookelet

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

This product is fantastic. I bought 2 colors at Ulta -- teal and black. I wore the black to work on Friday. The color is intense, really really black, and the formula is smoooooth and easy to apply (I used a Real Techniques liner brush, the thinner of the two that are available). It lasted all day and looked just as good when I got home at 6:45 PM as it did when I left the house at 7:30 AM. And then, the real test ... I slept in it (I KNOW, I know). I can therefore report that it still looked pretty much perfect more than 24 hours after the initial application. The pot it comes in is small and easy to store (the same size as the Smashbox liners, as opposed to, say, the Stila Smudge Pots). A+, would buy (and probably will buy) again.

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 2/11/2013 10:33:00 PM More reviews by ritables

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Ive got this in Charlotte (brown) and Scarlett (dark brown). They were buy one get one half off at ulta, and a 20 percent coupon made the both of them under 12 USD after taxes. Score!
The colors appear lighter outside the container, until you open it to see the true shade on the inside, which is darker. The consistency is firm when you brush across it, but then is very smooth and creamy during application. I use my pinky to smear the amount i need for both eyes and then close the container so it wont dry out. I also like to use my pinky as a palate because the warmth of my finger gets the product a bit creamier than just wiping it off the sides of the jar.

I am using a Sephora professional brush #15 (synthetic angle brush). It does take a while to dry, so using it for a eyeshadow base would be ideal. I do my winged liner, or cat-eye with it, and have no issues getting a smooth line, both thick and thin. When my MAC blacktrack started to dry out, it became extremely cumbersome to apply, very streaky and at times difficult to get a fine line. Maybelline and WnW are too indelible; I dont like products that stain my brushes plus a devil to remove at night. I have mature skin around my eyes and cringe at the thought of scrubbing and rubbing. eek!!!

This is also much easier to correct during application, which is why i have ceased to use Maybelline and WnW. I was able to make a correction with just water on a q-tip rather than bust out the oil based eye remover (lancome) that needs to be shaken to be used....aggrevating!! So, yes this gem of a product is a win-win for me on many levels.

The container is streamlined; other jars have extraneous material that is not necessary. I don't need a block of glass or extra weight! this package is streamlined and does supply a generous 3 grams. It is perfectly round and the lid is much smaller than other competitor's lid sizes, that are increased to accommodate the extra bulk of glass. I likey!!

If I had to make a general assumption on my initial impression, it would be that this product is very similar to Physician's Formula Gel Liner.

I have just gotten this today, and will update any changes or new observations at a later time :)

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No