Nexxus Youth Renewal

on 8/14/2015 11:02:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral

8/20/2015 edit: I figured out that i get the best results if i apply this to shampooed, towel dried hair and let it sit for a couple of hours. I end up using way more, but at least the outcome is favorable. I think I'll start sleeping with it on my hair over night.

If they could find some way to thicken the formula, it'd be perfect. Because like i said - this conditioner does have incredible ingredients. There's just one or two things off about it. It barely misses the mark.
Edited to add: I used up an entire bottle before writing this thorough review because I wanted to be absolutely sure of my thoughts on it.
I like this conditioner, don't get me wrong. However I probably will not repurchase it. That's not because Nexxus is expensive. If price was the issue I wouldn't have bought it in the first place (why get attached to something you can't afford to replace?) My issue with Nexxus Youth Renewal conditioner is that it does not wow me whatsoever.

Does it leave my hair soft? Yes. Do I feel its done anything to repair my damaged, dry hair? Absolutely not. Olaplex, protein treatments, and deep conditioners have done far more than Nexxus. But I wasn't really expecting it to undo damage nor turn back the clock. I just needed a decent conditioner and this barely met my needs. There are PLENTY of drugstore conditioners that have wowed me. Neutrogena Triple Moisture Mask is a forever favorite of mine... and it's outperformed Nexxus in my book at 1/3rd the price.

Here is the weird part...the ingredients in Nexxus Youth Renewal conditioner are actually AWESOME. So I'm shocked to be feeling underwhelmed. The ingredient list is as follows:
Water, Cetearyl Alcohol, Stearamidopropyl Dimethylamine, Cocos Nucifera Oil, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Hydrolyzed Elastin, Hydrolyzed Keratin, Hydrolyzed Pearl, Gluconolactone, Trehalose, Adipic Acid, Sodium Sulfate, Glycine Soja Oil, Glycerin, Behentrimonium Chloride, Tocopheryl Acetate, Ubiquinone, Fragrance, Sodium Chloride, Xanthan Gum, Disodium EDTA, Dipropylene Glycol, Benzophenone-4, Lactic Acid, DMDM Hydantoin, Potassium Sorbate, Sodium Benzoate, Alpha-Isomethyl Ionone, Benzyl Alcohol, Benzyl Salicylate, Butylphenyl Methylpropional, Citronellol, Coumarin, Geraniol, Limonene, Linalool.

Fragrance comes waaaay after all the beneficial ingredients. There are very few conditioners on the market with ingredients this good. I rarely see elastin on ingredient lists nor hydrolyzed pearl. Elastin is great for putting elasticity back in your hair (as the name implies). And the pearl ingredient gives hair a luminous effect.

Looking at the ingredient list I assume others would really love this conditioner. It puzzling to me that it didn't meet my (albeit high) expectations. The formula just feels so light and my hair tends to benefit from thicker consistencies in a conditioner. I apologize if my review comes across as confusing.....I'm confused too. Perhaps the best way to summarize my thoughts on Nexxus Youth Renewal is; awesome ingredient list - average performance.

on 5/15/2013 1:45:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

I adore this stuff. It is like perfection in a bottle. Perfectly hydrated, strengthened hair that is not weighed down at all. It even smells nourishing. Would definitely repurchase!

on 2/11/2013 11:01:00 AM

This was on sale at my Publix, and I've seen the advertisements and couldn't resist trying it out. I really like this conditioner, made my hair feel really soft but not weighted down. I think it's argan oil listed on the ingredients, but it is not heavy, just soft and shiny. I don't have aging hair, but regular highlights and color make it I'm late 30' I figured this couldn't hurt.

I also went back and purchased the shampoo since it was on sale too! Like it as well, soft hair, not weighed down. For reference, I have fine, slightly wavy, shoulder-length highlighted/colored hair.