Stila Color Balm Lipsticks (All)

3.8

on 2/26/2015 11:52:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This lipstick color was absolutely gorgeous, it has the most mild tingle when applying, I think this is the minty balm component however it didn't go on as smooth as the smashbox lippy. I recommend using a balm first before applying this lippy.

Got this as a sample in vivienne. In the package it looks like a light rosy pink but on my lips it turned sorta orangish?? Plus it was really really dry :(

on 2/18/2015 9:22:00 AM

I have 3 of these--Sheri, Maya and Evangeline. Evangeline and Maya are very similar neutral terracotta colors, but Evangeline has some rose in it. Both are beautiful. Sheri is a dark berry color that looks slightly vampy on me, but just slightly (N/NW 10-15). They are comfortable on the lips, they stay on for 4-5 hours, and I enjoy the peppermint scent. The mirrored cap makes them ideal for my purse.

on 9/23/2014 11:17:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

I have these in the colors Betsey (hot pink), Elle (watermelon coral), and Avery (peachy coral). I absolutely love these! At first I was hesitant about the durability because they are a balm, but I have been able to get a good 6 hours in on these including eating and drinking with minimal color fade. I haven't noticed the mint smell nor have I experienced any tingling upon application. Although this could be due to the fact that I've used a lot of mint Burt's Bees lip balm in my time and I may have just grown accustomed. I wouldn't say they're drying, but they do set to a pretty matte finish which can feel dry. I've tried these both with and without lip balm underneath to see if that made any difference with the dry feeling. I found that the pigmentation is a lot better without lip balm underneath, but applying a thin layer of lip balm helped a lot with the dryness and gave it a more smooth application with a semi-glossy finish. The diameter of the balm is quite a bit larger than your typical lipstick, close to that of a quarter. I was worried that this would make application messy and difficult, but it hasn't caused me any problems. Overall, a surprisingly nice addition to my collection, albeit on the pricey side.

on 8/25/2014 2:09:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Not horrible but not my favorite. These aren't very smooth to apply, which I find odd because it isn't drying on the lips. I do not like the tingling feeling as well, it is VERY mild. There is also a slight minty smell, which I am not a fan of since I don't like mint.I do love the fact that you can go for a bright lip for evening if you apply more, or subtle for day if you apply lightly. And it does sit well on the lips. However the smell, application and feeling on my lips is my I said this is average. It says its a balm, so I expected it to go on A LOT smoother. Personally I prefer my ysl lipsticks to this. They have a similar effect on the lips, MUCH smoother to apply. And they don't tingle on my lips. They are more expensive though. If you are willing to spend 12 dollars more go for the ysl lipsticks!

on 8/23/2014 10:25:00 PM

Love the look on my lips, love the shade (Olivia). That's the good news.
It fails miserably, though, because of the peppermint oil in the lipstick, an irritant and can be drying too.
My lips burned after I applied the lipstick. They felt irritated and felt like that hours after I wiped it from my lips.
I was very disappointed as I love the shade and the look, but the peppermint oil doesn't do anyones lips any favors.
So, I'll try to find the same shade, without the irritants.

on 6/26/2014 1:32:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

I have these in Gabrielle (light candy pink) and Avery (light pinkish coral). First, the packaging is a nice silver bullet. The lipsticks themselves are opaque color with the feel of a balm, and a nice peppermint scent. I would say they're a satin finish, not matte, but not overly glossy or shiny either. The color selection is nice, and the texture is very comfortable to wear. These are not long-wearing, but then again, nothing with "balm" in the name is going to be. They are very reminiscent of Revlon lip butters, although I would say those colors are more sheer than the Stila balm lipsticks. Overall I am pretty happy with these, and will repurchase if needed.

on 3/10/2014 10:25:00 PM

Lovely packaging and color payoff. It made my lips very dry, though, with or without Chapstick or other balm under it. Nasty peeling mess by the end of the day, which was embarrassing in a work meeting. Then again, my manager shouldn't make us meet at the end of the day anyway :)

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Other, Wavy, Fine

Not a very big Stila fan, I recieved one of these Color Balm Lipsticks as gift. The packaging is a nice silver bullet that looks and feels higher end as it should for the price. Goes on feeling like a light balm but is definite full coverage highly pigmented lipstick. As a bit of shine, not as much as a gloss as Stila claims, I actually wouldn't mind a little less shine but for what it is, this lip product looks really moist and creamy on lips despite it feeling moist but not so much creamy. The thinner texture is not given away in its appearance which is kind of cool.

The color I have, Sonya, is described as a dusty merlot. At least on me, that description is deceiving. It is actually a cool pinky berry shade and is a shade that manages to make teeth look whiter which is an added bonus. It is a very clean and fresh looking color, with no shimmer.

The wear on this particular shade is fantastic. It lasts for hours and once touched up it seems to wear even longer. The color fades mostly evenly when it does start to fade and leaves behind a nice stain.

The downsides of this? A bit pricey. The peppermint scent ( I am just not a fan). And finally the fact that it does get a little drying on my lips as it wears on, which totally negates the whole color BALM thing. After an hour or so the thinner texture starts to feel a little drying.

But overall it is a good pigmented lipstick and I would be interested in trying other shades.

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Not Sure

Hair: Other, Wavy, Coarse

I have the colors Betsey & Elle, Betsey is a gorgeous bright bright pink, with a strong blue undertone, I love it the color, Elle is also a gorgeous corally pink that leans very pink & without any orange, none & seems very similar to MAC's Viva Glam Nicki .....but the shape of these lipstick, round why would you make lipsticks round? my lips are semi full & I have a hard time with precision applying these lipsticks & no I don't like to apply my lipsticks with a lip brush...way to much work + Elle is so dryingggg my lips literally feel & look like raisins after applying Elle, Ugh in summary @ $22 +tax each, I would not repurchase, gorgeous colors...but raisin lips are not cool.

Popular Lipsticks