October 31, 2014 | 1559 users online

Loose Powders - FLOWER Beauty - Powder Up Loose Powder shade L01

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 4/4/2014 11:45:00 PM More reviews by AndreaJunelle

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is a very basic, initial review which is something I don't typically do - I usually will not write a review for something that I haven't had the chance to try out regularly for at least one month at the very earliest, and I also rarely write negative reviews but I had to comment on this powder..

I really love the great shade range with Flower's About Face Liquid (I can pull off both LF01 and LF02), and even the shades in the Pressed Powder "Powder Trip" Foundation and BB Cream aren't bad in my opinion!
I'm around N/NC10-13ish in 'MAC terms' for reference and the lightest shade in the BB Cream/BB01 is a tad on the dark side but it's so sheer that it's certainly workable on me, and the lightest shade in the Powder Trip is pale enough for me in depth, but the undertones are a bit more pink than I usually go for, however that powder is so amazing on me that I always find a way to make it work :)

So since I've been experimenting with applying different loose powders *before* applying my foundation recently, I saw this product at Walmart today & decided to give it a try(even though I'm sure I have more than enough loose powders already lol ;D)
Got this 'Powder Up' loose in L01 back home only to see that this is sooo insanely dark! :(

I read more reviews on this before posting my own and what I didn't know was that apparently there was a packaging mix up of sorts in early-mid 2013 where the L01 and L02 shades were mislabeled (making the L02 shade lighter than L01 not long after it was originally released). That was a little over a year ago though so I can't imagine that the problem hasn't been fixed yet?.. &The Walmart that I purchased this powder from only started carrying the Flower brand at the beginning of 2014 (while the other Walmart in my area has carried Flower Beauty from it's birth..) --making me unsure if this is an issue of mislabeling still, or if the lightest shade is truly SUPPOSED to appear THIS dark?
I tried using it anyway, dusting on a light layer with a fan brush for only a minimal amount and nope.. It's simply not translucent enough for my fair skin to pull off. It appeared wayy too dark & also a tad orangey. I am very disappointed.

I'm going to head back up to the same Walmart store, as well as the other Walmart in my area that carries Flower products one day next week(hopefully Tuesday 4/8/14 but may be Friday 4/11/14 at the latest) and plan on physically opening up & looking at the L02 shade at both stores. If L02 appears lighter than this one then I'll be exchanging L01 for L02.
But if not, and L02 is even darker than this then I'll most definitely be returning. Which is unfortunate because I am really enjoying the consistency of this powder, & I especially love the luxurious look of the powder's packaging! Yes it is kind of unnecessarily big/bulky, but I don't plan on using it for travel so it would look lovely on my vanity (it's also sturdy as all heck)! I just wish the lightest color was lighter.. It appears it would suit someone with more of NC25 coloring(or maybe even darker, IDK) IDGI but I will be updating this review next week as soon as I dig a little deeper into this labeling mix-up. I just wanted to post this review in the mean time so anyone out there with very pale or fair skin can who is interested in checking this out makes sure to open & look at both L01 and L02 before buying :)

rated 1 of 5 on 2/19/2013 6:45:00 PM More reviews by BeautBetty

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

package is divine, elegant and sturdy looking. Beautiful
STOP
very little product
I bought the L01, which looked more like a bronzer. Never have seen anything like this before
Put it on and my face turned orange, oxidized, whatever you want to call it-not translucent. Use another product to set the foundation
I used L03 in foundation which is really not too dark-the foundation shades are quite light and yellow toned
Forget the name, the packaging, skip it all together, not worth 9.98usd

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 2/9/2013 7:01:00 PM More reviews by Lydia07

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

Ok, got all excited when I saw this, got it home and opened it and realized once I had it open to actually see the powder that something was wrong. L01 is supposed to be the lightest shade and this powder is DARK. It actually looks the way I would expect the darkest shade to look. I did try it just in the chance it would work and nope...way too dark. I suspect there was a mistake in producing these. My container was labeled and its clear the label was only applied once (no meddling customer switched labels) but I can't imagine anyone selling powder this color as light. The powder texture felt super light and lovely going on so its a shame about the shade. If this was a manufacturing error where shades got labeled wrong then I would try to repurchase and adjust my score. However, the packaging totally sucks. I can't see the actual shade I am buying before I open it and the container is big and bulky. Its not full of product, there is a lot of extra packaging just like with the lip colors. I think the packaging looks like something cheap from the 80's personally. I'm curious if anyone else bought this in light and ended up with a really dark powder? Will be returning. EDIT: I peaked under the sticky bit to see what color the medium shade was when I was at walmart today. It is actually lighter than the so called light shade that I bought. Weird. There really must be some packaging error. I suggest you peel up the sticky bit that covers the powder and look to see the actual shade before you purchase. EDIT: OK, the problem has been fixed. The new ones of these my Walmart got in are now labeled correctly. That said, I'm still not a big fan. The powder feels light and wonderful but looks a little uneven when applied and didn't do a great job controlling oil. My face looked much more shiny than usual by the end of the day. Might be a decent product for someone with dry skin. As others noted elsewhwere, there is also very little product.

6 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No