NYX Butter Gloss

4.5

Mineral Oil, Polybutene, Diisostearyl Malate, Beeswax, Ceresin, Silica Dimethyl Silylate, Polyethylene, Sorbitan, Sesquioleate, Phenoxyethanol, Fragran May contain: Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Iron Oxide Black (CI 77499), Iron Oxide Red (CI 77491), Iron Oxide Yellow (CI 77492), Manganese Violet (CI 77742), D&C Red 6 Na Salt (CI 15850), D&C Red 7 Ca Lake (CI 15850), D&C Red 28 Al Lake (CI 45410), FD&C Yellow 6 Al Lake (CI 15985:1), FD&C Yellow 5 Al Lake (CI 19140:1).

on 7/4/2015 4:34:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Not Sure

Why does this have such good reviews? This stuff is terrible. Regardless of the shade you buy, they all come out like a very faint gloss. The color on the display unit is deceiving as they HAVE NO PIGMENT at all! Absolutely none!!! The only good thing is that they smell great and non sticky. Otherwise, These are a waste of time. Now the intense butter lip glosses that came out are so much better but they need more shades for WOC.

do yourself a favor save your 3 or 4 bucks.

on 6/26/2015 6:25:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I am not a gloss fan. At all. I own very few. I really like these though. They're comfortable and don't settle or travel. I own three- Tiramisu, Creme Brûlée, and Devils Food Cake. I'm not super crazy about Devils Food Cake because it's a bit patchy. The only con I can really think of is lasting power but what can you expect with a gloss?

on 6/22/2015 9:50:00 PM

The hype got me.

In Australia, NYX products can be found at Target. These were $10 each (as KathleenLights would say, dasssss espensiveeee) but curiousity got the best of me. Initially I wanted to purchase Creme Brle but it was out of stock so I opted for clair and Tiramisu. They're beautiful natural colours! Variations of nudes or my lips but better. These made me lips look lively with a sheer (note these are sheer, not lipstick like glosses) - some sheen, little juicier. But they're nothing to rave like crazy about? I think butter glosses are essentially glosses with lipbalm added to them. Therefore to create the same texture in my lips, I add Lucas Paw Paw Ointment to any sticky lipgloss.

In order from lightest to darkest:
Creme Brle: Everyday nude shade on pale NC20 skin.
clair: Soft sheer neutral baby-pink. Same lightness as Creme Brle exept this is pink and CB is more brown.
Tiramisu: Darker version of Creme Brle. This would be the nude equivalent for someone who is roughly NC30+. On my NC20 complexion it is what I call a medium rosey nude with a hint of peach-brown. If you don't like being washed out by "pale nudes" - this one's for you!
Angel Food Cake: Yeah the names are killing my life also, please bare with me. This is a deep mauvy brown pink. This shade is b e a u t i f u l and doesn't get a lot of love online because it is a new colour to their line :)

These glosses smell like vanilla chocolate chip cookies. The smell fades after application.

In America these are cheaper than $10 and they work well as glosses. I give them three stars because they do not blow my socks off. Packaging hosts the 8ml of product fine. No clumping around lid rim. Nice and compact at 9cm (yes I measured them for this review). Very work appropriate, I have them lying around the office discreetly in my tin of pens, draw, tuck them in my skirt to reapply after lunch!

Con: They contain beewax. If you're allergic to that. Give these a pass. :)

I got the gloss in "Tiramisu" which is the perfect nude color! However, I'm not a huge lipgloss fan and it seemed a bit heavy to me. To see a better review, view my blog post here: http://foolslovegold.blogspot.com/2015/06/hello-and-welcome-to-my-first-haul-i.html

on 6/20/2015 9:00:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Other, Wavy, Coarse

I love this stuff.

It's got good pigmentation, while still retaining the sheerness of a gloss. It's not sticky, it applies evenly, lasts really well. I can't speak highly enough of it. I genuinely don't have anything bad to say about it. I own it in Raspberry Tart, and it's a great shade of purple. Nothing super-dramatic, but a nice pop of color.

10/10, do recommend.

on 6/16/2015 10:20:00 AM

Hair: Red, Straight, Medium

Why does this have good reviews? I feel so duped. Thankfully, it was cheap.

First, I had to buy this and judge the colour off the colour of an opaque plastic tube. I hate that because I have found that the tube rarely matches the product. Argh.

I bought this in Red Velvet, which turned out to be quite brighter than the tube (so shocked--not). It's like you've been eating tons of strawberries. A bright, kinda neutral red. The colour is fine. Other than the misrepresentation (my goal was a darker red, like the tube is), it's fine.

The formula has found an apt name in "butter gloss." Slick, soft, feels moisturizing. Feels pretty great.

So what's the downside? Everything else. It feathers like an effing beast, it transfers like an effing beast, and even if you don't eat/drink/smoke/make out/fall on your face, it will end up disappearing from your face into a parallel dimension within 15 minutes. Oddly, it will not disappear from where it's feathered outside your lips. NOPE, that stays.

I can hear you now. "But what about lipliner?" F**k lipliner, says the butter gloss. It's so slick and slippery that it will travel off your lips and take the lipliner with it. Together they will go, hand in hand, to wherever it is this lip gloss disappears to.

Also, it's too shiny. Weird complaint, right? Well, it is. It looks like a cheap dollar store gloss, too shiny and goopy and streaky. When it feathers outside your mouth, that will be super shiny, too. If your lips are crooked, the mega shine will show that off. May as well put a neon blinking arrow sign pointing to your misshapen, shiny mouth.

Maybe this is all a non-issue if you use it in a neutral colour, however, the big selling point with this is that it comes in over 9,000 bright colours...aaaand they're useless.

on 6/13/2015 8:17:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Straight, Other

The glosses are fabulous if you are looking for a colored gloss (as opposed to a shiny topper). They are opaque to semi opaque, not sticky, moderately shiny. Smell pretty nice too. I've owned a ton of colors but my favorites are creme brule, tiramisu, and apple strudel. I do feel they are lacking a good every day medium toned pink the line (like Beige in the mega shine line). But I just can't say enough good things about these glosses. If you are thinking of trying the gerard cosmetics ones, get these instead.

on 6/9/2015 6:00:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure

Coverage/Color Payoff:
To me these glosses have nice color payoff, and all are very buildable so you can control how sheer or opaque you want it to be. My favorite shades are "Madeleine", a light brownish nude, and "Tiramisu", a slightly more pink nude.

Staying Power:
Not great, but pretty typical for a gloss. I usually have to reapply several times throughout the day.

Scent/Flavor:
I like the sweet scent. It smells like a cookie. I can only smell it while I'm applying it. The smell goes away after a while. No flavor.

Packaging:
Very petite tube with a doe-foot applicator. I like the packaging because it's very easy to fit into a makeup bag, purse, or pocket.

Finish:
Pretty shine. It's minimally sticky; very comfortable to wear over lipstick or by itself. It feels very creamy. I was happily surprised that they don't settle into the lines and creases of my lips. I'm not sure if they have colors with any shimmer. None of the ones I've tried had any glitter or shimmer, but there are a lot of shades available.

Price:
$5 for 0.27 oz. To me this is a lot of product for only $5. I've paid double (or more) for comparable quality gloss with less product. One of these tubes lasts me about a month.

Overall:
I love these glosses! The shade range is beautiful, the formula is so comfortable, and they have great color payoff for a gloss. For only $5 each I don't think you can beat these.

on 6/4/2015 1:03:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Neutral

Hair: Black, Kinky, Medium

I love these so very much. Nice smell, nice consistency, good pigmentation, decent packaging, no complaints. They don't dry out my lips when used over lip balm. I noticed that because of the nature of lip glosses, the colors appeared lighter on my lips than in the tube. On one hand, it makes some of the colors invisible on my lips, but on the other hand, it makes the vampy glosses less high maintenance.

I own the following:
Cherry Pie - nice red, pulls fuchsia on me, bleh.
Strawberry Parfait - looks clear on me. Very natural look
Cupcake - warm pink, melds with my lip color to make something terrible and unflattering.
Peach Cobbler - red-orange, but my mauvy lips turn this into a lovely coral.
Angel Food Cake - lighter mauve-nude. Very pretty. I lost, repurchased, and found this one. The extra one lives in my bag
Praline - my absolute perfect nude gloss. Beautiful.
Gingersnap - chocolate brown on me, but would be a beautiful nude on deep dark skintones.
Sugar Cookie - lovely pink with a hint of purple. My kinda color
Red Velvet - pretty much the exact color of the cake it's named after. Deep purpley-red.
Raspberry Tart - deep purple. Probably my favorite out of all of them.
Devil's Food Cake - deep, dark plum. Great low-maintenance vamp.

I'd repurchase all except for Cherry Pie, Strawberry Parfait, Cupcake, and Gingersnap. Worth every penny at retail and a steal with sales and coupons at Ulta.

on 6/4/2015 12:08:00 AM

I really like nyx products so I decided to try this out.The first thing I must say about these is,they smell great like a coconut cookie.They're pigmented and have good shine and add moisture to lips.I find myself wanting to reapply cause the moisture factor. The only reason I didn't give it 5 lips is that Rimmel stay glossy is a favorite of mine but I really like these too,and would recommend if anyone hadn't tried.

Video Reviews & Tutorials