November 23, 2014 | 1505 users online

Eye Shadow - Make Up For Ever - Technicolor Palette

rated 4 of 5 on 6/4/2013 11:58:00 PM More reviews by citizenannie

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

A disclaimer: I use eyeshadow sponges most of the time (as well as my fingers occasionally) and either blend with my fingers or brushes, so if you use only brushes, you might not get the same results.

I really like this palette! The colors are all fun and the bright colors are bright with the exception of the purple, which goes on very sheer unless a couple layers are added and/or a primer is used. Using the application method that I do, I haven't found them chalky, nor have I had a problem with them going everywhere. The black is nice and black, the white is bright white, and the neutrals are nice. My two complaints are that, as mentioned, the purple is not as vibrant as the other colors and there is no pink! There is pink on the outside of the palette as well, which just makes its absence more conspicuous.

I love, love, love the green, yellow, and blue. They apply nicely (using the method I do), blend just fine, and don't wander all over my face. I didn't notice any creasing. One day when I wore the colors for a very long time (sixteen hour day) in hot weather, I noticed that they were lighter by the end of the day, but I can't really say WHERE the color went -- it wasn't on my face and I hadn't rubbed at my eyes much. It just kind of faded. During normal days (eight to twelve hours) I didn't experience a similar problem.

The case is a nice slim little compact that closes tightly and has a mirror in it (it's about the same size and has the same type of latch stiffness as Urban Decay's Naked Basics palette), and the hinge to it is adjustable -- it doesn't just flop all the way open automatically. The palette comes with two small brushes that seem serviceable.

The cost of this palette at Sephora is $36 USD and it contains eight colors. Each shadow is .03 oz. Each full sized Make Up Forever shadow is .08 oz and costs $20 USD. That means that each shadow in this palette is 37.5% as big as a normal shadow and it's corresponding cost is about $7.50 USD and the palette is worth $60 USD not including the brushes, so it's a good deal. If you are like me and don't hit pan terribly often on shadows, the size difference won't be a big deal -- I don't mind getting smaller versions of what would cost me $160 dollars to put together on my own.

If you already own a lot of Make Up For Ever eyeshadows and have most of the colors in this palette, I would pass. If you don't and you're looking for a fun, bright palette for summer, then give it a try!

rated 2 of 5 on 4/15/2013 12:10:00 PM More reviews by vitaminas2u

i feel very bad for spending so much money on this palette. The colors arevery chalky and difficult to apply. The colors spread all over my face, they are very chalky and aren't very pigmented.

rated 3 of 5 on 2/8/2013 1:29:00 AM More reviews by solarsaint

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Green

The Make Up For Ever Technicolor Palette is a limited edition, Sephora-exclusive palette containing eight MUFE eyeshadows with two mini brushes. The colors in this palette are: Black, Yellow, Apple Green, Turquoise, Lilac, White, Espresso, and Yellow Beige. All are mattes except for I believe the beige and the yellow. It currently retails at Sephora for $45, which is a pretty good price considering each individual MUFE shadow runs around $20, although these are a lot smaller.

Anyway, onward. I received this palette and of course me being me, immediately tried it. I used every color in the palette, and the first thing I noticed was that the colors were not nearly as vibrant as I was expecting, in fact several of them (lilac especially) were quite chalky. So then I thought maybe if I applied them wet I would get the color payoff advertised. Nope. The shadows became chunky and difficult to work with. After finally getting my makeup applied, I went about my day, and later that night washed it off with an oil free eye makeup remover and a soft cotton bud. Bear in mind I did not rub excessively.

I woke up the next morning with inflamed, stinging, swollen eyelids. As I write this review 12 hours on, my eyelids have begun to peel on the inner corners. The swelling has gone down some, mostly due to my putting chilled spoons on them in desperation, I think.

I spoke to a MUA friend of mine (Yes, licensed professional. Not a youtube guru) who says she has had similar problems with their HD Foundation giving her a rash where it never used to. She dug around a bit and discovered that both these products, the shadows and the foundation, now have various Chromium Oxides (pigments) listed in their ingredients, where she says they never were before. While I can't say for sure that this addition or change to the formula was what has suddenly made us have reactions to products we never used to have trouble with, I think it would be best that anyone considering buying this product keep this in mind, as there is a chance something has been added to a previously trusted product that may cause some issue.

I gave this product a 3 star rating because it was well packaged, and the palette was visually nice to look at. It may work perfectly fine for some people but due to the reaction I had to it I can't in good faith give it any higher of a rating!

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No